Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Yes!!!  Video at LCD now is working with platform 01660004  :thumbsup_anim:  Thanks a lot, styrian!

OS X 10.9 is installed, boot from USB stick still

System disk is SSD drive in Lenovo bay instead of DVD

Work:

• HD4000 with all resolutions 
  • Built-in Ethernet
  • Built-in Webcam
  • Built-in Touchpad
  • USB mouse
  • iCloud
Doesn't work

• Sound
  • Battery
  • Icon of SSD disk is yellow
  • Wi-Fi (it is ok, I understand why)

I guess first of all I have to install Clover to the system SSD. And next I should have a work with DSDT and/or kexts patching...

So can I ask you to help with my next steps?

Thanks again!

For your battery try the acpibatterymanager.kext here from Downloads.

Your sound chip is Alc 269?

Have fun.

@styrian - acpibatterymanager may require DSDT parameter conversion to 8bit values? i.e. a custom DSDT. did you have to do anything trick for your Edge 320?

went thru this tricky conversion with TimeWalker's help for the T420 a few months back ... but this might work  deepening on what is in the DSDT to start with - so yeah its worth a shot.

---

forgot about this  - the older voodoobattery will work without fancy DSDT changes but requires a rollback on the ACPIPlatform.kext (the snow leopard version)

----

googled "T530 audio codec" and shows it to be ALC3202 - new one to me!

@styrian - acpibatterymanager may require DSDT parameter conversion to 8bit values? i.e. a custom DSDT. did you have to do anything trick for your Edge 320?

went thru this tricky conversion with TimeWalker's help for the T420 a few months back ... but this might work  deepening on what is in the DSDT to start with - so yeah its worth a shot.

---

forgot about this  - the older voodoobattery will work without fancy DSDT changes but requires a rollback on the ACPIPlatform.kext (the snow leopard version)

----

---

----

In my experiance Acpibatterymanager.kext is working on an E330 oob, even without any correct DSDT and working PM. Assuming, that the Lenovo generation of devices and chipset platform is the same and therefore the ACPI implementation similar, it could work oob on an T530 too. (no rollback needed)

Notebookcheck.com is telling that the T530 has an ALC269 sound chip. I wanted to proof, if this is really so. I am able to help with the neccessary files for it, working on Lenovo.

Have fun.

In my experiance Acpibatterymanager.kext is working on an E330 oob, even without any correct DSDT and working PM. Assuming, that the Lenovo generation of devices and chipset platform is the same and therefore the ACPI implementation similar, it could work oob on an T530 too. (no rollback needed)

Notebookcheck.com is telling that the T530 has an ALC269 sound chip. I wanted to proof, if this is really so. I am able to help with the neccessary files for it, working on Lenovo.

Checked on Win7 - Audio is Realtek DEV 0269 - looks like ALC269? 
BTW, Checked at  home: AppleHDA is working via AirPlay - T530 --> Mac mini. Volume buttons (kbd) is working, audio is playing on Mac mini speaker (AirServer installed on Mac mini). But does not work via T530 speaker, micro doesn't work as well. 

It is strange: battery control now is working. (Wow!)
Display's brightness slider also work. (Wow x 2 !!)
Perhaps this is because I have added DSDT from T420 1366x768 (took from tluck's guide) ???

Checked on Win7 - Audio is Realtek DEV 0269 - looks like ALC269? 
BTW, Checked at  home: AppleHDA is working via AirPlay - T530 --> Mac mini. Volume buttons (kbd) is working, audio is playing on Mac mini speaker (AirServer installed on Mac mini). But does not work via T530 speaker, micro doesn't work as well. 

It is strange: battery control now is working. (Wow!)
Display's brightness slider also work. (Wow x 2 !!)
Perhaps this is because I have added DSDT from T420 1366x768 (took from tluck's guide) ???

It is not an good idea to use an other ones dsdt file espacially, if it is not from the same device and  chip platform. The best solution for you is to extract your own dsdt.aml and patch it in the neccessary. Ok for now it is working for you. In any way, you have to edit, the DSDT.aml your are using at the moment with DSDT Editor or Mac Iasl, In device HDEF,  method DSM you have to change the layout-ID to this values: 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 and remove from this method all other entries, that define values in the way, I have written before.

Edit the DSDT, install with your preffered kext utility the attached kexts to S/L/E, repair permissions and reboot with flags -f -v. Your sound should now be working.

LENOVO ALC269.zip

I've read through both of the major "t420 hackintoshing" threads and I haven't seen anyone with my issue yet. Hopefully I'm not asking anything that hasn't been answered.

I'm trying to get 10.9 working in an MBR setup. Initially because I couldn't get my GUID setup to boot and then later because I learned about the sleep issues associated with a guid setup.

I installed clover to my harddrive with these settings: http://i.imgur.com/piGEqMP.png (Along with the clover prefpane and RC scripts on target volume settings)

I've also (hopefully correctly) placed the contents of your EFI folder into my /EFI folder and also renamed the 1600x900 folder in the OEM folder to my product id: 4177CTO

Also, I've installed all of the provided kexts into S/L/E with KextHelper.

When I boot my laptop, instead of getting the normal clover bootscreen, I get this: http://i.imgur.com/PdJ9CHb.jpg

If I select Boot Maintenance Manager. I get a second screen where I can choose "Boot from file". If I navigate to my OSX drive and then to /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi I can get to the clover screen and select my osx drive as normal.

Once I'm in, my resolution looks correct and I don't notice any screen tearing. However, my battery isn't recognized and I don't have any sound at all, even with headphones.

Ethernet works when I plug a cable in, but OSX tells me that I don't have a connection. Even while it says this, I can ping Google and stuff, so I know the connection itself works.

Here's my Boot.log: http://pastebin.com/NUqwvHrm and my System.log: http://pastebin.com/PqbXmNq0

What have I done wrong? I must have missed some crucial step.

@myran2

If you're installing Clover on your hard drive, you need to check the first option ("Install for UEFI motherboards") which will automatically check a few more options for you. Just leave it at that then install. Then, replace the EFI with tluck's pack. Good luck!

@honeywell

Thanks for the advice. I just gave that a shot. The installation failed about a minute into the process. I think that's because UEFI is associated with a GUID partition scheme and won't work with an MBR setup.

I really appreciate the suggestion, though.

@honeywell

Thanks for the advice. I just gave that a shot. The installation failed about a minute into the process. I think that's because UEFI is associated with a GUID partition scheme and won't work with an MBR setup.

I really appreciate the suggestion, though.

Odd, that's exactly what I did and I'm on a MBR GPT partition. Was there a specific error?

@myran2 

edited:

just rechecked my MBR USB.

since you are using a MBR HD,  so install Clover as you did (not for  UEFI  mobo in this case).

and i presume your first partition is the active one

should be like this:

/

/boot

/mach_kernel

/System

/EFI/Clover

correct. only use the UEFI option to install on a GPT/GUID target - aka the ESP.

uncheck the first items for MBR target. in this case the /EFI folder will be on the same partition as your OS.

I installed clover to my 10.9 install flash drive. It's partitioned as MBR and boots like you'd expect it to. No weird "browse for file" thing.

Here's the output from that command:

start        size   index    contents
    0           1            MBR 
    1           1
    2   125045422        1   MBR part 175 

One thing that I didn't mention earlier but probably should have. When I ran fdisk to set my partition as active, it said "could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: no such file or directory".

Is that something that could cause an issue or does BOOTX64.efi replace that file?

@myran2. thats looks good. and good that the usb flash works as expected.  that means the HD MBR is probably missing the boot0 or something.

well you can use fdisk to fix your HD MBR and then reinstall Clover

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

I just ran that command and then reinstalled clover with the same settings as earlier. No change.

Fdisk complained about the lack of boot0 again, though.

Also, right before the bios boot from file thing comes up, I can see something that says "... /BOOT" and then some letter or number under that that I can't read in time.

That same process happens when I boot from the flashdrive.

what kind of disk is this? i wonder if its a 1k vs 4k sector problem.

you should have stuff in /usr/standalone/i386

and fdisk440 should be in /usr/sbin

this should be happening but you can do it manually

cd /usr/standalone/i386

- Install boot0af to the MBR:

sudo fdisk440 -f boot0af -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Oh. The 1k vs 4k sector problem. I totally forgot that I had an issue with that in the past.

I think my drive is a 4k sector (whichever one causes problems sometimes).

I don't remember what I did to get around the issue when I installed Lion a while ago. I think it had something to do with running the dd command while still in the installer. Do you have any ideas?

It is not an good idea to use an other ones dsdt file espacially, if it is not from the same device and  chip platform. The best solution for you is to extract your own dsdt.aml and patch it in the neccessary. Ok for now it is working for you. In any way, you have to edit, the DSDT.aml your are using at the moment with DSDT Editor or Mac Iasl, In device HDEF,  method DSM you have to change the layout-ID to this values: 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 and remove from this method all other entries, that define values in the way, I have written before.

Edit the DSDT, install with your preffered kext utility the attached kexts to S/L/E, repair permissions and reboot with flags -f -v. Your sound should now be working.

Report: I've done changes you've recommended and sound is working. Thanks! Also I have change IOBluetoothFamily.kext with Product ID and Vendor ID of T530 bluetooth card and bluetooth now is working as well.

However I've faced problem with iMessage. I had making tests with changing of the hardware UUID and serial number and after tests the iMessages stoped working. Cannot activate account "Apple ID "can't be used to set up iMessage at this time"". Is any solution or recommedations for that?

Report: I've done changes you've recommended and sound is working. Thanks! Also I have change IOBluetoothFamily.kext with Product ID and Vendor ID of T530 bluetooth card and bluetooth now is working as well.

However I've faced problem with iMessage. I had making tests with changing of the hardware UUID and serial number and after tests the iMessages stoped working. Cannot activate account "Apple ID "can't be used to set up iMessage at this time"". Is any solution or recommedations for that?

I am not complete sure, but what, what I have read til now is, that your en0 has to be the first device in your networking preferences for using Apple services. For Chameleon there is a nvram module, which is helping in this case. There should also be an emulation for Clover. I for myself do not use Apple services on a hack, I have a MBP 4,1 for this.

Have fun.