Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,273 posts in this topic

tluck yes cloverefi mbr is stable no problems at all ,

i posted a question in clover section because i cant boot my win 7 partition with clover , with chameleon i had no problem, since you have no windows installed you dont have any experience with this right? 

anyway i try to switch to clover and clover gives me trouble ...

Manwee150 i did this change too and again clover uefi is unstable with shutdown and sleep on our laptops, i test it today extensively 8-|

Uefi clover can't boot legacy windows on tiano machines. Chameleon is a bios based bootloader so is capable of utilizing the same legacy bios protocol that would normally be used when booting windows from bios. Clover utilizes uefi protocol and on tiano firmware it can't switch to legacybios protocol straight from clover. Either use uefi windows or nothing.<br /><br />In regard to slpe fix - ever since I've added this I hadn't a single shutdown fail on me.

TimeWalker75a ok now i know to not waste more time on this... maybe i'll think something else, as for the fix something must be different on our firmwares it doesnt make sense otherwise

@tluck I think the following would make the DSDT more accurate. Although I don't notice much effect. After about a dozen sleep/wake cycles and 1 reboot, I had no issues with audio or the mute button. The touchpad/dot didn't come back once however, so it isn't a cure-all. It does three things:

1) uses the \SPS global register to set Arg0 in _WAK, since it always contains the correct value, so we don't care what the OS tries to return

2) calls \SI._SST at every state transition

3) Increases the length covered by SLPR, which TimeWalker75a mentioned should be better, and unconditionally ensure this is set to the correct value when the system is going to sleep/shutdown

--- dsdt-tluck2-slpe.dsl 2013-12-17 21:46:48.000000000 -0500
+++ dsdt-tluck2-slpe+sst.dsl 2013-12-21 19:23:48.000000000 -0500
@@ -9669,7 +9669,7 @@
 // tjl-begin - add SLPR function
         Scope (\)
         {
-             OperationRegion (SLPR, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
+             OperationRegion (SLPR, SystemIO, 0x0430, 0x08)
              Field (SLPR, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
              {
                      ,   4,
@@ -9690,6 +9690,9 @@
         If (Local0)
         {
             Store (Arg0, \SPS)
+// tjl - add 2 lines
+            Store (0x00, SLPE)
+            Sleep (0x10)
             \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.MHKE (0x00)
             If (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.KBLT)
             {
@@ -9722,9 +9725,6 @@
                 \TRAP ()
 // tjl                \_SB.PCI0.LPC.TPM.CMOR ()
                 \AWON (0x05)
-// tjl - add 2 lines
-                Store (0x00, SLPE)
-                Sleep (0x10)
             }
             \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.BPTS (Arg0)
             If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
@@ -9742,6 +9742,20 @@
                 Store (\_SB.PCI0.EXP5.PDS, \_SB.PCI0.EXP5.PDSF)
             }
             \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.WGPS (Arg0)
+// tjl set system status indicators as appropriate
+            If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {
+                \_SI._SST (0x00)
+            } Else {
+                If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04)) {
+                    \_SI._SST (0x04)
+                } Else {
+                    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x00)) {
+                        \_SI._SST (0x01)
+                    } Else {
+                        \_SI._SST (0x03)
+                    }
+                }
+            }
         }
     }
     Name (WAKI, Package (0x02)
@@ -9751,15 +9765,16 @@
     })
     Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
     {
-// tjl-begin added call to SST to reset LEDs after sleep
-        \_SI._SST (0x01)
 // tjl - fix for arg0 value after sleep - per rehabman       
-        If (LOr(LLess(Arg0,0x01),LGreater(Arg0,0x05))) { Store(0x03,Arg0) }
-// tjl-end fixes        
+        Store(\SPS,Arg0)
+        \_SI._SST (0x02)
+// tjl-end fixes
         If (LOr (LEqual (Arg0, 0x00), LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x05)))
         {
+            \_SI._SST (0x01)
             Return (WAKI)
         }
+// tjl-begin added call to SST to reset LEDs after sleep
         Store (0x00, \SPS)
         Store (0x00, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HCMU)
         \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.EVNT (0x01)
@@ -9904,6 +9919,8 @@
             }
         }
         Store (Zero, \RRBF)
+// tjl-begin added call to SST to reset LEDs after sleep.
+        \_SI._SST (0x01)
         Return (WAKI)
     }
     Scope (\_SI)

dsdt-tluck2-slpe+sst.dsl.zip

@sot_22 , your time is not wasted. You can run win7 in efi mode. Grab the bootloader from win8 then use a win8 disk to startup, then run bcdedit with one of the switches for mbr and it should boot fine with clover. I'm a bit light on the details because it's been a long time since I moved up from win7,  but I have done it before and I'm sure Google is your friend. If I have time, I might write something up, but not likely at the moment.

Edit: I can't recall if gpt became an issue in this setup. M $ says win7 can't start up from a gpt disk but I'm fairly certain that it's all in the bootloader. 

@sot_22 - yes i run windows7. it boots via UEFI off the ESP with microsoft tools. clover whether MBR/CloverEFI or UEFI will just present the option in the GUI and if you select windows, it will just boot using standard MS functions -\EFI\Microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi

you don't have to reinstall your windows partition - you just change how it boots! i posted some stuff on this on too long ago for someone else looking for how to do this. As i mentioned my HD is GPT it will boot OSX or Windows via efi. remember clover is boot manager not a boot loader it leverages the native stuff. about a year ago i converted my hd from MBR/chameleon to GPT/Clover. i made equal sized partitions and then dd-ed my windows partition from the MBR disk to the GPT disk. then ran the windows repair utility to fix the bcd to point the boot loader to the right partition. 

@manwe150 - very cool. ok i downloaded your new dsdt and will tested it out. not sure about the logic in _WAK ... seems like if _WAK gets an arg0 value out of range we should just set to 3?   reread  - i see use SPS - sounds good. 

EDIT:  well i like it! tested UEFI, no hangs going to sleep - but i only did sleep/wake about 5 times - sleep by lid, menu, power button (note: in mavericks, the power button puts to sleep unless you hold for 3 seconds - then you get the menu.) anyway, so far so good!  shutdown made it all the way.

I did make a couple of tweaks in _WAK. i like the stuff in _PTR but i futzed with _WAK a tad. (plus i left the mutex changes to 0x00 instead of 0x07)

{

// tjl-begin fixes

// tjl - added call to SST to reset LEDs after sleep

// tjl - check for arg0 value after sleep - per rehabman - if not 1-5, then set to 3

// tjl - use SPS which was set in _PTS instead of OS value

\_SI._SST (0x01)

Store(\SPS,Arg0)

If (LOr (LLess (Arg0, One), LGreater (Arg0, 0x05)))

{

Store (0x03, Arg0)

}

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))

{

Return (WAKI)

}

// tjl-end fixes

Store (0x00, \SPS)

so here is an experimental DSDT for UEFI testing!

thanks manwe150 ... will run in UEFI mode for few days on this version to see how it behaves.

dsdt-uefi-slpe-sst-fix.zip

hi all thx for all the suggestions!, alright i saw that clover supports legacy boot (but don't work for all) , Pene on the clover thread provide a alternative boot file that worked for me , boots win 7 (mbr) fine now so i will not go right now into partition changes but i will eventually if this new fix from TimeWalker75a/Manwe150/tluck for UEFI boot works!  i'm going to incorporate it to my dsdt and test it too 

and yes Tetonee do the benchmark with Geekbench 3.1.3 for Mac OS X x86 : 32-bit,  

64 bit from what i remember gives a little lower scores i tested again with cloverefi with my ssdt.aml and is the same as before :

Single-Core Score : 2523

Multi-Core Score : 5096

as and tluck said you must have a little higher or the same if you have lower you are running something wrong

(memory speed has a role in this , mine is Single-core   2672  Multi-core  2691)

@sot_22 - yes i run windows7. it boots via UEFI off the ESP with microsoft tools. clover whether MBR/CloverEFI or UEFI will just present the option in the GUI and if you select windows, it will just boot using standard MS functions -\EFI\Microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi

you don't have to reinstall your windows partition - you just change how it boots! i posted some stuff on this on too long ago for someone else looking for how to do this. As i mentioned my HD is GPT it will boot OSX or Windows via efi. remember clover is boot manager not a boot loader it leverages the native stuff. about a year ago i converted my hd from MBR/chameleon to GPT/Clover. i made equal sized partitions and then dd-ed my windows partition from the MBR disk to the GPT disk. then ran the windows repair utility to fix the bcd to point the boot loader to the right partition. 

@manwe150 - very cool. ok i downloaded your new dsdt and will tested it out. not sure about the logic in _WAK ... seems like if _WAK gets an arg0 value out of range we should just set to 3?   reread  - i see use SPS - sounds good. 

EDIT:  well i like it! tested UEFI, no hangs going to sleep - but i only did sleep/wake about 5 times - sleep by lid, menu, power button (note: in mavericks, the power button puts to sleep unless you hold for 3 seconds - then you get the menu.) anyway, so far so good!  shutdown made it all the way.

I did make a couple of tweaks in _WAK. i like the stuff in _PTR but i futzed with _WAK a tad. (plus i left the mutex changes to 0x00 instead of 0x07)

{

// tjl-begin fixes

// tjl - added call to SST to reset LEDs after sleep

// tjl - check for arg0 value after sleep - per rehabman - if not 1-5, then set to 3

// tjl - use SPS which was set in _PTS instead of OS value

\_SI._SST (0x01)

Store(\SPS,Arg0)

If (LOr (LLess (Arg0, One), LGreater (Arg0, 0x05)))

{

Store (0x03, Arg0)

}

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))

{

Return (WAKI)

}

// tjl-end fixes

Store (0x00, \SPS)

so here is an experimental DSDT for UEFI testing!

thanks manwe150 ... will run in UEFI mode for few days on this version to see how it behaves.

SST(1) is WORKING, SST(2) is WAKING. Which is why I call SST(2) at the beginning and SST(1) and the end. SST seemed to have some logic that controls how the hardware gets activated based on these transitions and the value in the SPS register, which is why I did it that way.

Since we've set Arg0 equal to \SPS, it is unnecessary to keep rehabman's fix around, since Arg0 will always be in the range 0-5. In fact, Arg0 = 0 is potentially valid.

I didn't mean to take out the Mutex changes, I just forgot about them since they didn't seem to do anything.

Also interesting might be to add the following code to some button:

Notify (\_SB, 0x00)
Perhaps the mic-mute button, or the thinkpad button?

This forces the OS to re-enumerate all attached devices and would perhaps re-attach the missing PS2 devices after wake.

@manwe150 - ok now i understand -- i was not sure why SST-2 was called only for a moment and then change to SST-1 at the end.  one thing i was thinking about is that a real mac does not seem to have logic branches in the DSDT for the various sleep states. _WAK calls the same things for each mode. i have not looked closely at what _WAK does for state 3 vs state 4. any thoughts as why these would or should be different? maybe its a windows thing?

i like the reset idea... i recall looking in IOreg after i lost the internal keyboard/trackpad and the PS2 devices seemed to be still there? but this could work.

@manwe150 -- well i was optimistic. but then again, these SLPE adds to the dsdt, were pretty much was i had in there back in october/november timeframe that did not do anything in my observation. to the point, i ran UEFI but i had the same things crop up -- not shutting all the way down and flashing hang going to sleep. i could live with shutdown, but the sleep goes to zombie land. and then its a hard power down. i  will repost with your additions nonetheless as they may help some. MBR/boot is what works for me.

so i was looking at the differences on performance between a custom ssdt and clover (generic P/C) .... bottom line, I get 5% more performance by using a proper SSDT custom built. The one verleihnix created for us works well, this utility builds one based on your CPU from the BIOS config so is matched to your box. Now, V's ssdt  might be a tad lower on power consumption, I have decided to go with the higher performing curve!

run the script (or .app) and it creates ssdt_pr.aml on your desktop

$ ./ssdtPRGen.sh 

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9 Copyright © 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl

v6.6 Copyright © 2013 by † Jeroen

v7.5 Copyright © 2013-2013 by Pike R. Alpha

----------------------------------------------------------------

System information: Mac OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Processor Declaration(s) Found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)

Generating ssdt_pr.dsl for a MacBookPro8,1 [Mac-94245B3640C91C81]

Sandy Bridge Core i5-2520M processor [0x206A7] setup [0x0603]

With a maximum TDP of 35 Watt, as specified by Intel

Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)

Number of Turbo States: 7 (2600-3200 MHz)

Number of P-States: 25 (800-3200 MHz)

Adjusting C-States for detected (mobile) processor

Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]

Copyright © 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     /Users/tluck/Desktop/ssdt_pr.dsl - 182 lines, 5697 bytes, 30 keywords

AML Output:    /Users/tluck/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml - 1218 bytes, 11 named objects, 19 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Do you want to copy /Users/tluck/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml? (y/n)?n

rename the output ssdt_pr.aml to ssdt.aml and move/copy the file to your clover location (/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/<product>/ACPI/patched)

reboot!

here is the difference in calculated watt values. msrdumper showed these states

8 12 16 21 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...

with geek bench 3, i get 2500 single cpu - just what i would expect - using just clover 2380. 

post-954945-0-25599900-1388546260_thumb.png

Happy new year.

• Like 1

@tluck, thank you a lot for your guide (post #481) installing Mac OS X on Lenovo T420!

One thing, though, that I couldn't get working is applying product-specific version/DSDT, as you described.

What I did initially was renaming OEM/ProductID.1600x900 to OEM/4236AQ7. (This name is seen on a label on the bottom of my laptop: Product ID: 4236AQ7). But I had no sound (sound was supposed to be fixed by product-specific configurations, according to your guide). So I just copied the contents of the OEM/4236AQ7 folder over to the /Volume/ESP/EFI/CLOVER, replacing the generic config.plist (renamed at some point from config1600x900.plist) and the ACPI folder. This worked and sound system was identified by Mac OS.

Another thing, is that hardware sound volume buttons are not synchronized with Mac OS's software sound volume control. When I change the volume with the hardware buttons -- the system volume control is kept at 100% volume. Physically, sound volume does change, though.

The last issue I found, is inability of Mac OS to automatically set the Windows key to be the Command key, instead the Windows key would be treated as Alt, and Left Alt as Command key (I didn't check what Right Alt performs as, though). I solved by reassigning control keys in the keyboard preferences.

@Matanel 

you are welcome and welcome to the club!

1. if sound is working when using the ESP top level ( where the custom kexts are)  -  then I am wondering if you have not installed/replaced the custom AppleHDA.kext (and others)  in /S/L/E?
  2. yeah i noticed that same thing with the audio levels.  i will double check, but this could be a new thing with mavericks.
  3. i suppose this comes down to personal preferences as OSX uses the same key location scheme as it would on a real mac -  

key order left to right is:        control  option/alt  command   spacebar  command    option 

where as the lenovo has :     control   windows        alt          spacebar       alt            menu  control  

there are a couple of mapped keys though - blue Thinkpad makes the fan go to high speed. and the scrlk/pause buttons control LCD brightness.

reposted the zip file -- minor changes 

Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

01-Jan-2014 - update

• updated to Clover b2428 (with just ThinkPad theme)
  • removed ssdt.aml
  • added ssdtPRgen-clover.command script so you can create your own SSDT P/C state tables
  • added Utilities folder with cvad's Kext Utility.app and manual kext  _install_SLE.bash script

@Matanel 

you are welcome and welcome to the club!

Thank you!

• if sound is working when using the ESP top level ( where the custom kexts are)  -  then I am wondering if you have not installed/replaced the custom AppleHDA.kext (and others)  in /S/L/E?

Actually, I did install all the custom KEXT's into /S/L/E. I have used this Kext Utility app you have recommended. After I re-installed Mavericks fresh to check once again will the OEM folder work, I went on installing Windows as a dual-boot. Then, after an unidentified number of reboots Mac OS did pick up settings from OEM/<Product ID>. And, since all the custom KEXT's were in place in /S/L/E sound started to work for me! apparently, here is some "magic" in those reboots.

• i suppose this comes down to personal preferences as OSX uses the same key location scheme as it would on a real mac -  

Connecting a Lenovo desktop keyboard via USB, though will map keyboard modifier keys correctly. Will double-check the layout of that desktop keyboard to make sure it is same/different comparing to Lenovo T420's built-in keyboard.

I will give a try to the new version of Clover config. I don't need to reinstall everything for that purpose, right? Just mounting the ESP partition and copying over files from the ZIP?

Another question, if I may, I have two entries for booting Windows on the Clover boot screen. Only one of them would really boot into Windows, where another will just return to the Clover boot screen. I did a dual-boot by copying /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to be /Volumes/ESP/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi, whereas renaming the original bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi. Is this a way to remove/hide non-working boot entry in the Clover boot screen?

• Create custom SSDT for proper P/C states to match system (optional - but this tool may do a better job than Clover) 

Run ssdtPRgen-clover.sh script (modifed to work with clover!) in Utilities folder

It should ask you if you want copy ssdt.aml to your OEM folder, otherwise rename ~/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to ssdt.aml and copy/move ssdt.aml to same location as your dsdt.aml i.e /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/<product>/ACPI/patched 

Running ssdtPRgen-clover.sh requires an Internet connection. It tries to download iasl from GitHub. Sometimes, though, an Internet connection is unavailable. I haven't had Ethernet working until I installed the Ethernet KEXT to /S/L/E and then rebooted. But the course of the guide suggests you do the KEXT copying and running ssdtPRgen-clover.sh without rebooting the machine in-between.

Also, no WiFi working. Does it mean the integrated Lenovo T420's wireless card is not supported in Mac OS X?

@matanel - thanks for the feedback on sequence of steps - good points on the reboots, ethernet and the SSDT tool. i will add some notes on that. I am thinking the issues you had with no sound between several reboot may have to do the kext cache not being updated? but you got there.  and you are correct the Intel WiFi card is not usable by OSX. for along time i used an external USB for wifi but then I decided to replace my card with an Atheros AR5BH92 for $6.  works for windows too.

as far as boot menu... if you are using the OEM/<product>/config.plist vs top level config.plist on with the primary boot disk with both OSX and Windows the GUI should look something like this:

post-954945-0-75943700-1388678064_thumb.png

i have 4 entries - default is OSX+

Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI

Boot UEFI Internal from EFI

Boot Mac OS X from OSX+

Boot Recovery from Recovery HD

the bootmgfw.efi on my system is from microsoft vs clover

these 2 boot mechanisms work independently and don't interfere with each other 

/EFI/CLOVER ... for OSX

/EFI/Microsoft ... for Windows

as far as clover pkg installation, i would install to get the OSX resident stuff - it will not overwrite the configuration OEM stuff. you can pick out and remove the extra stuff it installs such as the 32bit stuff or just replace the whole CLOVER folder from the zip. the latest zip was b2428. these are the options i use:

post-954945-0-44230500-1388680060_thumb.png

• Like 1

@tluck

as far as boot menu...

Apparently, after upgrading to the latest Clover build b2428, the boot entries got in order, with only one entry for Windows. So maybe the double-icon for Windows was just a glitch of previous Clover builds.

the bootmgfw.efi on my system is from microsoft vs clover

these 2 boot mechanisms work independently and don't interfere with each other 

/EFI/CLOVER ... for OSX

/EFI/Microsoft ... for Windows

Did you install Windows prior to Mac OS? I did install Mac OS first, then installed Windows (both in UEFI mode, of course). In that scenario Windows boot loader would prevail and boot straight into Windows, instead of showing the Clover boot menu. Therefore, I had to copy CLOVERX64.efi from Clover to Microsoft folder as bootmgfw.efi, per this blog: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/103945-dual-booting-w8-os-x-uefi-4.html.

as far as clover pkg installation, i would install to get the OSX resident stuff - it will not overwrite the configuration OEM stuff. you can pick out and remove the extra stuff it installs such as the 32bit stuff or just replace the whole CLOVER folder from the zip. the latest zip was b2428.

Wow, that is exactly what I needed -- an example of Clover installation options. I didn't see using RC scripts anywhere, though. Am I wrong? Basically, I learned the following is customized by you, whereas other stuff flows in untouched from Clover, correct?

• <ZIP file>/T420/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • <ZIP file>/T420/EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder
  • <ZIP file>/T420/EFI/CLOVER/OEM folder
  • <ZIP file>/T420/EFI/CLOVER/config.1366x768.plist file
  • And <ZIP file>/T420/EFI/CLOVER/config.1600x900.plist file
As for ssdtPRgen-clover.sh it does generate two files: ssdt_pr.aml and ssdt_pr.dsl. But you only guide to copy the .AML one over. Why not both of them?

It probably seems like a lot of questions. The reason is I am a newbie in this area and want to understand how things work. I have had a real iMac for 8 years up until recently, when its power module has died. Now trying to get Mac OS glory back with a backup hardware. My ultimate goal for now is trying to understand what is going on under the covers in Hackintosh and try to get a newer laptop model work with Mac OS -- Lenovo T440P. Now only I have a theoretical knowledge for auto-generation of DSDT's (by Clover) and SSDT's (by ssdtPRgen-clover.sh). But area of KEXT modification seems too unexplored now. Also the ease you guys exchange pieces of AML and DSL files for DSDT and SSDT... Just awesome.

the install order does NOT matter all that much. if you just installed windows natively then i think you end up with the microsoft version of  /EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi but then clover replaces that (BOOTx64.efi is a copy of CLOVERx64.efi). you can also remove that entry from the boot list. or add it specifically.

anyway you can get the MS boot loader from the windows install ...

post-954945-0-72289700-1388684196_thumb.png

my efi folder looks like this:

post-954945-0-66566900-1388684223_thumb.png

I like it this way so that they are independent - clover does a nice job of listing the windows boot option and the rest is pure MS. 

.aml is the compiled assembly file and .dsl files are the decompiled source. the aml files are used at boot.

have fun.