Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

{censored}. sorry all. I completely forgot to mention (and update the zip file) that I replaced VboxHFS-64.efi with HFSPlus.efi from here:

https://github.com/STLVNUB/CloverGrower/blob/master/Files/HFSPlus/x64/HFSPlus.efi

View Raw

as someone pointed out it seems to be able to read the install bundles better. and it does!

• Like 1

Hi, the link for the bios does not work, it's maxed out. Can you attach it here?

Thanks,

AJ

the link appears to be broken again. could someone post a new one? thanks.

edit: nevermind, I found it had been reposted on the original forum in a different reply: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/archive/index.php/t-5866-p-120.html

Edited by Manwe150

i can't get any osx to work with my t420 (type 4180-b95 has nvs 4200m) and I'm not sure where to start.

ive tired lion, mountain lion and mavericks. i preferably want mavericks but will start where i need to, i even tried pulling the HD out of a macbook and booting that

currently when i try to boot the usb installer for any version of the os i made (which worked on a real mac at least 10.7 and 10.9 did) it does what it did in this video

My t420 Video also if i back out of that black screen wight eh small dash if it lets me it goes back to clover but it is frozen most of the time

when i try to boot the lion from a real mac i get this version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform

reason: 4180b95

but when i boot the recovery partition it goes to  a white screen with a beach ball after verbose mode but if i try with the -x flag it doesn't even try to boot it goes to saying i can't find the mach_kernel
id obviously prefer a fresh install by this or another guide but i seem to not have any luck with it

idea's?

thanks

@anarchy99

i would turn off NVS for now.

Note: a vanilla mac installer needs FakeSMC - same for the HD from a real mac. these will not boot up unless you inject FakeSMC (and  VoodooPS2controller unless you have USB keyboard/mouse).

are you using the clover config from my zip for your EFI? what EFI drivers do you have installed. it acts like its not even reading the USB? canyou may need HFSplus.efi to boot from recoveryHD. 

• Like 1

Using your clover config I was able to boot and install Mavericks YAY!!

I did have to disable the discete graphics :-(

So far audio seems to work, it sees ethernet but doesn't text any cabel and no wifi

I installed a Dell 1390 wireless card that I stripped out of an old hackintosh into the bottom mini PCI-E slots and it doesn't seem to detect at all

does anyone know how to get that working?

I read somewhere that someone said it was for msata and USB only, but the t420 hardware maintenance manual refers to it as 1070 PCI Express mini card for wireless WAN

If I could add rather use that  bottom slot then have to buy a mini PCI half card or whatever it's called for under the keyboard

@anarchy99

i would turn off NVS for now.

Note: a vanilla mac installer needs FakeSMC - same for the HD from a real mac. these will not boot up unless you inject FakeSMC (and  VoodooPS2controller unless you have USB keyboard/mouse).

are you using the clover config from my zip for your EFI? what EFI drivers do you have installed. it acts like its not even reading the USB? canyou may need HFSplus.efi to boot from recoveryHD. 

@anarch99 - you will get ethernet if you installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext ... but wifi AFAIK is only works with modded bios and then you replace the intel wifi with the mini express card. the  bottom slots will not work for wifi. for wifi, i use a USB wifi.

Ok all, well after some tricky issues I am back on Mavericks and able to boot but in only one of two scenarios:

1) Boot directly to Mac partition on UEFI Clover boot loader and deal with quadrant display issue

2) Boot off old formatted drive with Clover r1625 which fixes display and breaks sound

I am having a hell of a hard time customizing things. After I have installed Clover and I restart the computer should I still see the ESP partition? This consistently disappears the moment I restart my computer.  Additionally if I try to select the EFI partition on the Clover boot screen it just flashes.

Back on Mountain Lion my startup would be selecting EFI than my Mac drive and it worked great but no luck.

Finally, I’ve seen totally mixed answers on where I should find my product ID.  Using various methods it seems like my DisplayProductID is 738 but I’m not even sure that is the right number I should be renaming the OEM folder too? I've included below stuff I pull from when I did the ioreg -l:

"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff0030e4e2020000000000140103801f11780a43459759578e28215054000000010101010101010101010101010101018025408060841a303020350036ae10000019000000000000000000000000000000000000000000fe004c4720446973706c61790a2020000000fe004c503134305744322d544c42310038

"DisplayProductID" = 738
"DisplayVendorID" = 12516
"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-30e4-2e2"

To answer TLuck’s question, yes low res model with i5 2.49ghz

@FungFlex - 

what DSDT are you using? if you are booting using the EFI i posted - there are 2 configs and matching DSDTs. since you are low-res, you should be using the Low-Res 4236Y33 version.  

the EDID shown above is consistent with the the High-Res version 1600x900 LCD

the EFI partition (ESP) is automatically mounted by a clover utility. this is convenience for you.

@FungFlex - 

what DSDT are you using? if you are booting using the EFI i posted - there are 2 configs and matching DSDTs. since you are low-res, you should be using the Low-Res 4236Y33 version.  

the EDID shown above is consistent with the the High-Res version 1600x900 LCD

the EFI partition (ESP) is automatically mounted by a clover utility. this is convenience for you.

I am using the 33 version as I believe I have the low-res version. The EDID I ran was done while I was stuck in quadrant mode if that maybe explains why it would show the 1600x900 one. Not sure how to confirm to be honest, this computer barely ever ran windows :-)

I guess my confusion is, when I install Clover the parition named "EFI" appears (although only one time was it named "ESP") when that happens I drag your zip file contents into the Clover/Boot folders and when I restart the computer that "EFI" partition is gone. Is this normal?

Also, on the clover boot menu, if everything is installed correctly what do you select when booting up?

Finally, the folder I am supposed to rename is "4236Y33" correct? The question is, how do I know what to rename it properly? Where do I find the appropriate string?

@FungFlex - 

use the console app to look at the clover boot.log - it will show you the productID.  or use the Clover Options Menu to get the Product ID - forget where exactly. thats the name of your OEM folder. should match whats on your label on the bottom of system.

there is a dsdt.aml in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched - this is for high-res - same as the one in OEM/4236AT9/ACPI/patched. thats why you are getting 4 panels. this dsdt has duallink=1 and injects a 1600x900 EDID. replace it with the low-res one. 

when you rename OEM/4326Y33 to match your ID, it will use the stuff in this folder vs the top level. 

the Installer mounts the ESP on /Volumes/ESP. there is an option to have clover utility mount the ESP upon boot up. it mount it at /Volumes/EFI (these are installed optionally by the Clover .pkg installer. 

when you boot, select your OSX partition. 

So happy I could kiss you! Although I'm probably not your type ;-)

Everything is working perfectly, I'm running Mavericks and everything is fully functional (sound and display! hooray!)  Only outstanding question is previously on 10.8 I booted with Kogen's custom clover build and it must have injected a different trackpad kext as I was previously able to do some 3 fingered gestures for mission control and switching between spaces. These seem to be broken, is that a 10.9 thing or should I pull a kext from his bundle?

Having some minor issues with iMessage but I haven't done anywhere near enough troubleshooting on my end to diagnose yet.

Following the instructions for 10.9 install from post #486:

• for 10.9 install USB
    1. Download from App Store (puts in /Applications
    2. Partition 8GB USB as GUID (use option menu to) - title the partition USB
    3. run this command:
      sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction

4. manually mount ESP of USB and copy the clover EFI folder onto USB ESP (assuming the USB is disk2)
      mkdir /Volumes/ESP-USB
      mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/ESP-USB

5. rename OEM OEM.NU for USB installer so it will use top level config.plist that will inject kexts
    6. Boot and install OSX!

When I boot into the installer I get the 4 quadrant screen deal. Searching around this same topic I saw to go into config.plist (in this case top-level) and set Dual Link to 0 which I have done but still get the split screens. I've tried booting into safe mode but it only causes an error and reboots before it even gets to the installer GUI. What else can I adjust? I'll try installing anyway since the fix will need to happen when I am done with the vanilla install as well.

Thanks,

Anthony

machine type - 4179W1F

Following the instructions for 10.9 install from post #486:

When I boot into the installer I get the 4 quadrant screen deal. Searching around this same topic I saw to go into config.plist (in this case top-level) and set Dual Link to 0 which I have done but still get the split screens. I've tried booting into safe mode but it only causes an error and reboots before it even gets to the installer GUI. What else can I adjust? I'll try installing anyway since the fix will need to happen when I am done with the vanilla install as well.

Thanks,

Anthony

machine type - 4179W1F

For me the full install happened in "quadrant" mode. It wasn't until install was fully done and I installed clover and fixed the OEM folder that quadrant display was fixed. 

I guess i need to augment the instructions for better handling of low-res LCD configurations. for non 1600x900 LCD, to fix this quadrant thing on your USB installer and HD (until you rename the OEM folder to say 4179W1F for example), copy the generic (low-res) dsdt.aml into use on the top level. When there is folder in OEM that matches your product ID, clover will that instead. the

cd to your mounted ESP location 

cp EFI/CLOVER/OEM/4236Y33/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

i get stuck

stuck on IOBluetoothHCIController Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport

upgrade on 10.9

Did you try either disabling Bluetooth in the BIOS, or in my case I use a USB bluetooth adapter as my model didn't have it built in, I simply removed it during install.

I guess i need to augment the instructions for better handling of low-res LCD configurations. for non 1600x900 LCD, to fix this quadrant thing on your USB installer and HD (until you rename the OEM folder to say 4179W1F for example), copy the generic (low-res) dsdt.aml into use on the top level. When there is folder in OEM that matches your product ID, clover will that instead. the

cd to your mounted ESP location 

cp EFI/CLOVER/OEM/4236Y33/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

Thanks! Got myself booted up with sound and network and best of all no quadrants. Haven't tried much else yet.

Updated...
Finally work with 10.9.. :) thanks tulk..for your tutorial.

@Tulk, how to read OEM/4xxxx folder in ESP in 10.9 ? cause if im rename OEM.NU to OEM, the configuration clover will read in directory OEM/config.plist and make not boot properly ( stuck on IOBluetooth )

iMessage, iCloud etc using apple ID, not work... :( how to solve this problem ?

Updated this morning Oct 31st

iMessage, iCloud etch using apple ID work !!!

To do this:

1 Remove all Network interfaces

2 Remove /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

3 Reboot

4 Readd your Network Interface.

the point of the OEM folder is to have a configuration for the HD versus USB. i use the top-level for USB installer - set to Inject Kexts. I make the assumption you will put the custom kexts in /S/L/E and not need to inject them. So If you have a high-res LCD rename 4236AT9 to match your ProductID.

if you have low-res LCD, then rename 4236Y33 to match your ProductID.

bluetooth should be fixable by either replacing or editing:

BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext (v4.1.7 with patched Info.plist from 10.8.5) - adds ProductID 8575 to make BT work! Put/replace one in /S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

hi, i'm been following this thread since the star, but never reply so hi to all. i'm having lots of troubles installing. i try 10.8 using clover but i have a quadrant display problem so i try 10.9, i was succefully installing 10.9 using chameleon bootloader(it was imposible to boot with clover) but now i'm stuck, the post install wont boot it gives me a fail loading drivers CPUID kernel panic so a bit of help would be much apreciated. oh i also copy all clover boot files from the clover bootable ISO (including clover replace patch from #486) from a linux distro to the EFI partition in the HDD so i think that is the same to actually install clover, or not? i'm a bit lost with the ketx maybe i did all wrong. specs: t420 4236NUS i5 2.9 8GB RAM/HD300/SSD 512GB