Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@pokenguyen - misunderstood your model is a T420S and not plain T420. here is a zip of the original dsdt and current dsdt.dsl (with comments) - you can diff them to see what was add/changed. 

attachicon.gift420_dsdt.zip

@okcakep

1) the sound loss from laptop speaker is known to be result of changes in 10.8.5 v1.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. laptop will lose speaker after wake from sleep. if you rollback to 10.8.4 v1.7 AppleACPIPlatform.kext this will not happen. 

@tluck --> sound now working after unplug my battery, im still using v1.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, i dont know way ? :)

2) EDID and glitches. is your native EDID different than the one Tetonne provided. is it v1.3? look for 0103 string vs 0104 string. i am injecting a different EDID (v1.3 seems work) than what was native/built-in to fix the glitches. 

in reality i never figured out why one EDID worked and another didn't. here were 2 v1.3 EDIDs for LCD 1600x900 - one was native (from windows) - i suspect it is the diff in detail clocking timings info? works is 96 Mhz and the glitchy one is 110 Mhz

works:

Extracted contents:
header:          00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00
serial number:   30 e4 e2 02 00 00 00 00 00 14
version:         01 03
basic params:    80 1f 11 78 0a
chroma info:     43 45 97 59 57 8e 28 21 50 54
established:     00 00 00
standard:        01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
descriptor 1:    80 25 40 80 60 84 1a 30 30 20 35 00 36 ae 10 00 00 19
descriptor 2:    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
descriptor 3:    00 00 00 fe 00 4c 47 20 44 69 73 70 6c 61 79 0a 20 20
descriptor 4:    00 00 00 fe 00 4c 50 31 34 30 57 44 32 2d 54 4c 42 31
extensions:      00
checksum:        38

Manufacturer: LGD Model 2e2 Serial Number 0
Made week 0 of 2010
EDID version: 1.3
Digital display
Maximum image size: 31 cm x 17 cm
Gamma: 2.20
Supported color formats: RGB 4:4:4, YCrCb 4:2:2
First detailed timing is preferred timing
Established timings supported:
Standard timings supported:
Detailed mode: Clock 96.000 MHz, 310 mm x 174 mm
               1600 1648 1680 1728 hborder 0
                900  903  908  926 vborder 0
               -hsync -vsync 

glitches:

Extracted contents:
header:          00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00
serial number:   30 ae a1 40 00 00 00 00 01 14
version:         01 03
basic params:    80 1f 11 78 ea
chroma info:     cc ce 99 58 50 8e 26 24 4b 53
established:     00 00 00
standard:        01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
descriptor 1:    f8 2a 40 9a 61 84 0c 30 40 2a 33 00 35 ae 10 00 00 18
descriptor 2:    cf 23 40 9a 61 84 0c 30 40 2a 33 00 35 ae 10 00 00 18
descriptor 3:    00 00 00 0f 00 a9 09 32 a9 09 32 19 09 00 06 af 56 31
descriptor 4:    00 00 00 fe 00 42 31 34 30 52 57 30 32 20 56 31 20 0a
extensions:      00
checksum:        7b

Manufacturer: LEN Model 40a1 Serial Number 0
Made week 1 of 2010
EDID version: 1.3
Digital display
Maximum image size: 31 cm x 17 cm
Gamma: 2.20
DPMS levels: Standby Suspend Off
Supported color formats: RGB 4:4:4, YCrCb 4:2:2
First detailed timing is preferred timing
Established timings supported:
Standard timings supported:
Detailed mode: Clock 110.000 MHz, 309 mm x 174 mm
               1600 1664 1706 2010 hborder 0
                900  903  906  912 vborder 0
               -hsync -vsync 
Detailed mode: Clock 91.670 MHz, 309 mm x 174 mm
               1600 1664 1706 2010 hborder 0
                900  903  906  912 vborder 0
               -hsync -vsync 

@Tluck, ok..i will try again for EDID

Hi all,

i use this for X220 and 10.9 GM

I've got the same issue with no sound after sleep

If i reboot to osx or windows still no speaker.

I need to shutdown the computer to make it work.

i dont know if it's a codec issue (EAPD) or an appleacpiplatform issue

ovof - thanks for adding your observation. seems to me appleacpiplatform since the v1.7 does not do this? but it is very weird that even that even windows can't revive the audio without a power down in between. i tested on my box and got no sound with win7. 

Hi all,

i use this for X220 and 10.9 GM

I've got the same issue with no sound after sleep

If i reboot to osx or windows still no speaker.

I need to shutdown the computer to make it work.

i dont know if it's a codec issue (EAPD) or an appleacpiplatform issue

Back to AppleACPIPlatform 1.3.5 > Sound and sleep are working again

System: 10.8.5

After upgrade from apple, no sound :hysterical:

Replace AppleHDA to old ( before ) working again sound

Sound after sleep, not tested..will be update again :D

Updated:

After sleep still no sound...

How to fix imessages ? i get msg : Your Apple ID "xxx@gmail.com" cant be used to set up IMessages at this time

If this is a new Apple ID you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below :

@okcakep 

10.8.5 updates 3 kexts we care about: AppleHDA, AppleACPIPlatform and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Last one is easy as Clover automatically patches it.

AppleHDA patched for 10.8.5 is in the latest zip, so you can replace the unmodified one.  

AppleACPIPlatform v1.8 (or 10.9.0 GM) seems to be problematic as it seems to nuke the speaker after sleep.  you can either live with it (a power off/on will reset it) or rollback to v1.7 from 10.8.4.

iMessage - there are lots of recipes to fix it... one key thing is to make sure ethernet is using en0 (first interface) - common problem since we have to add the ethernet driver and sometimes wifi or bluetooth picks it up.

@ovof - FYI, i found that rollback to AppleACPIPlatform v1.7 from 10.8.0-10.8.4 works too. 

@okcakep 

10.8.5 updates 3 kexts we care about: AppleHDA, AppleACPIPlatform and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

AppleHDA patched for 10.8.5 is in the latest zip, so you can replace the unmodified one.  

AppleACPIPlatform v1.8 (or 10.9.0 GM) seems to be problematic as it seems to nuke the speaker after sleep.  you can either live with it (a power off/on will reset it) or rollback to v1.7 from 10.8.4.

iMessage - there are lots of recipes to fix it... one key thing is to make sure ethernet is using en0 (first interface) - common problem since we have to add the ethernet driver and sometimes wifi or bluetooth picks it up.

@ovof - FYI, i found that rollback to AppleACPIPlatform v1.7 from 10.8.0-10.8.4 works too. 

@Tluck thank you for your advise...

Updated

For imessage, after add credit card number in app store, solved

@okcakep 

Are there any key tips I should follow to do an upgrade from 10.8.5 to 10.9? Now that it is released and I use this actually as a work machine with 2 monitors I would love to get the enhanced multi-moniter support

Also: T420, i5, lower res screen, sound just never ever works :=)

Thanks!

10.9 release.

Speaker still dead after sleep using current acpiplatform

@fungflex. The update will replace custom kexts in SLE. So the kext bundle in my zip will be needed to reinstall . There is a patched 10.9 applehda kext that when using the dsdt in the zip will give you sound. The layout id is set to 12 in the dsdt

@werewolfgsm. Yes u can. I dual boot. Not sure which of the t420 kexts apply. There are some 430 users on this thread and maybe they can supply a dsdt and info. Clover dsdt autopatch will make it work mostly But custom dsdt is generally better.

10.9 release.

Speaker still dead after sleep using current acpiplatform

@fungflex. The update will replace custom kexts in SLE. So the kext bundle in my zip will be needed to reinstall . There is a patched 10.9 applehda kext that when using the dsdt in the zip will give you sound. The layout id is set to 12 in the dsdt

Thanks so much for the great help in this thread. I've got a fairly stable 10.8.5 build running now and my key plan for upgrading was:

• Download release from App store on my other mac (already did this step)
  • Create bootable USB via new version of Lion Disk Maker (did this step too)
  • Install latest version of clover to the USB drive
  • Replace EFI folder on USB drive with one downloaded from your ZIP

At that stage, do I boot from the USB drive and select upgrade or do I need to wipe and do a fresh install. I've also never tried before, does the hackintosh community support usage of a time machine so I could back up my current environment and restore if I need to do a clean install from the flash drive.

Post install of 10.9 I just install the latest build of Clover? Also what is the best method to quickly install custom kexts post install?

Thanks!

Also has anyone else encountered a strange bug on their machine where the clock slowly over time becomes inaccurate? For example mine was showing 1:51 at 2:00 and if I open the preferences for time it connects and fixes itself.

Strange bug I just noticed.

Well the actual clover package installation is good for stuff outside of the ESP. You can pretty much replace the EFI/Clover folder with the zip.yes time machine works. I updated my 10.8 install vs fresh

I used to have time issues with an old version of clover that did not compute the bus speed right. But now it does

Thanks so much for the great help in this thread. I've got a fairly stable 10.8.5 build running now and my key plan for upgrading was:

At that stage, do I boot from the USB drive and select upgrade or do I need to wipe and do a fresh install. I've also never tried before, does the hackintosh community support usage of a time machine so I could back up my current environment and restore if I need to do a clean install from the flash drive.

Post install of 10.9 I just install the latest build of Clover? Also what is the best method to quickly install custom kexts post install?

Thanks!

Also has anyone else encountered a strange bug on their machine where the clock slowly over time becomes inaccurate? For example mine was showing 1:51 at 2:00 and if I open the preferences for time it connects and fixes itself.

It is better to do a clone of your 10 8.5 installation then doing a timemachine backup. Use CarbonCopyCloner for this task. If you have also Chameleon installed, you have to install it once again to your clone. The best bet for this task would be using an other hd for the clone.

Have fun.

Thanks!

Download release from App store on my other mac (already did this step) >> your sound will be death after upgrade from appstore. Restore your AppleHDA.kexts

No glitch in LCD

Replace /System/Library/Display/

Get your EDID using this

And I get EDID from Kogen Mantis from this post

My vendor id 0x30e4

convert to decimal > 16544

My product id 0x40A0

convert to decimal > 12516

And...configuration will be :

<key>DisplayProductID</key>

<integer>16544</integer>

<key>DisplayProductName</key>

<string>Color LCD</string>

<key>DisplayRedGamma</key>

<real>2.329986572265625</real>

<key>DisplayRedPointX</key>

<real>0.6454925537109375</real>

<key>DisplayRedPointY</key>

<real>0.337493896484375</real>

<key>DisplayVendorID</key>

<integer>12516</integer>

Ok..lets to AGPM eventhough my AGPM working without change Vendor ID.

go to sh-3.2# cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/  and edit Info.Plist

In here im edit Under

:                                <key>MacBookPro8,1</key>

<dict>

<key>Vendor8086Device0116</key>  ---------------------------------> my device

<dict>

<key>BoostPState</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>BoostTime</key>

<array>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<key>BusyDownThresholdPercent</key>

<integer>65</integer>

<key>BusyUpThresholdPercent</key>

<integer>80</integer>

<key>DiagnosticModeDefault</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>EvaluateDownInterval</key>

<integer>350000</integer>

<key>EvaluateUpInterval</key>

<integer>66000</integer>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>HeuristicOld</key>

<dict>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IdleInterval</key>

<integer>100</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>50</integer>

<integer>75</integer>

<integer>96</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_High_v</key>

<array>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>85</integer>

<integer>94</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>40</integer>

<integer>55</integer>

<integer>92</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low_v</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>50</integer>

<integer>60</integer>

<integer>92</integer>

</array>

</dict>

<key>control-id</key>

<integer>16</integer>    --------------------------> someone in forum suggest for macbookpro8,1 control-id should be 19

<key>max-power-state</key>

<integer>15</integer>

<key>min-power-state</key>

<integer>0</integer>

And..wow.....more bright ( in my opinion :thumbsup_anim: )

Ok guys, I am at an odd stand still that I didn't experience at all when I put 10.7 or 10.8 on here....

I've been using LionDiskMaker and now Disk Maker X since they just pushed a brand new version tonight it seems. Even tried MyHack and I simply cannot get my Mavericks USB stick to be considered bootable. At the UEFI boot menu it doesn't show up at all.

If I try to do the installer from the 10.8.5 it tries to verify and fails saying contact AppleCare.

So for tonight, I remain on lowly Mountain Lion.

Thanks so much for that display tip above, once I'm in 10.9 I'll go through those steps too

reread my instructions in this post #486  - it covers making USB, install and Post install. 

partition your USB stick GUID (use option) with 1 partition called USB

then run:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction

EDID and glitches - the zip i posted has 2 configurations:

1) High Res 1600x900 - clover injects EDID inject that is glitch free - it is also in the DSDT

2) Low Res 1366x768 - need EDID that works for Low-res

the post 486 has a link that has DisplayOverride file to match the device ID 2e2 for High-Res - 

graphicsPM -  the DSDT now used IGPU instead of VID - so it looks up MacbookPro8,1 and sees IGPU - i don't have my system with me now so i can't test changing the control effects brightness. but the latest bundle edits the SNBFramebuffer kext to increase the LCD brightness. your profile looks like the one for HD Graphics (gen. 1) perhaps thats ok. 

<key>MacBookPro8,1</key>

<dict>

<key>IGPU</key>

<dict>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>90</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>66000</integer>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>control-id</key>

<integer>16</integer>

<integer>15</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

reread my instructions in this post #486  - it covers making USB, install and Post install. 

partition your USB stick GUID (use option) with 1 partition called USB

then run:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction

EDID and glitches - the zip i posted has 2 configurations:

1) High Res 1600x900 - clover injects EDID inject that is glitch free - it is also in the DSDT

2) Low Res 1366x768 - need EDID that works for Low-res

the post 486 has a link that has DisplayOverride file to match the device ID 2e2 for High-Res - 

graphicsPM -  the DSDT now used IGPU instead of VID - so it looks up MacbookPro8,1 and sees IGPU - i don't have my system with me now so i can't test changing the control effects brightness. but the latest bundle edits the SNBFramebuffer kext to increase the LCD brightness. your profile looks like the one for HD Graphics (gen. 1) perhaps thats ok. 

<key>MacBookPro8,1</key>

<dict>

<key>IGPU</key>

<dict>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>90</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>66000</integer>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>control-id</key>

<integer>16</integer>

<integer>15</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

@Tluck, before i change, i still get AGPM natively :) with IGPU detected.

I just try :)

No, my vga using HD3000 2nd gen Tluck :)

FYI, im still only get 69Hz for LCD Display

Hey all,

I've been following this thread since I got my T530 at the beginning of September. Seems almost nobody has these / not much info on installing. I have it up and running with Mavericks right now via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method, but would much rather use proper UEFI and clover to do this, with a dsdt file. If I provide all pertinent information / dsdt / acpi dumps can someone help me patch a dsdt and get one going? i've tried before but can't get one to work. 

Just let me know what I need to provide and then we can try to get a solution. I'll be the first T530 guy and then we can have the dsdt etc posted for everyone to see / use

Sorry, this is a dense question but I am suffering from too many TLAs (three letter acronyms)

Can I ask one of the wonderful ninjas here to help explain what these are?

ESP

SLE

AGPM

Status Update: I'm running Mavericks like a champ now and just trying to fix up my display issue now

@FungFlex - sorry!

ESP - EFI System Partition - its the first (hidden/protected) partition on a GUID Partition Table formatted disk containing EFI files. where you put the Clover zip!

GUID - Globally Unique Identifiers

EFI - Extensible Firmware Interface

UEFI - Unified EFI

SLE - /S/L/E - /System/Library/Extensions

AGPM - AppleGraphicsPowerManagement

@humm3r - since you have it running using chameleon or chimera - a beast method right? then you are more than half way there! 

you can convert your MBR formatted disk to boot with Clover. Clover supports MBR/boot style as well as EFI/boot.efi style start up.

for EFI style then (which is what most of us are doing here) then you partition your disk with GPT/GUID and the OSX installers are happy.

Clover can auto-patch the built in DSDT to make it about 90% working for laptops. I don't know what audio the 530 may require a custom dsdt.

ages ago it seems, manwe150 posted a guide on what he did to patch the dsdt for the T420. the T420 DSDT has evolved a bit from there - mostly with tweaks for Audio/Video.

one thing you can do is use clover patching and then extract the patched DSDT (clover can do this too!) to then build upon that. i booted with a bunch of DSDT patch flags with virgin OS. i don't have my system with me now so i can't remember the so called DSDT mask or which ones to avoid etc.  you can test this pretty easily but using a USB to boot up clover.

HI, I did my USB using the method at the first post at this topic and it runs very smooth when using Intel HD3000;

The first time I installed 10.8.3 in my Lenovo T420s, I used myHack method, I have a disk image of this installation.

I had some issues after updating to 10.8.5 and had to wipe out everything and reinstall. But the reinstallation came up without sound and USB 3.0; Then I restored my previous backup (from myHack method). Worked fine. Even iMessage and Face Time, with no issues!!

Yesterday, I downloaded 10.9 and installed as update, directly from Launchpad.

The boot became faster (12 sec)!! But then, follow the list:

1. Sound is working, but just after start playing something, the sound became sizzle

2. All applications that uses Apple ID is not working, can't log in;

I'm afraid to update the kexts with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. 

What yous guys suggest?

2. All applications that uses Apple ID is not working, can't log in;

Try removing all your account settings completely and then adding it back. Also deleting your credit card on file and re-adding it could help. That worked for me back on 10.8

Ok I seem to be stuck so I wanted to see if what I am doing is even correct to be honest. When I look at Finder I have two main hard drive volumes for my system EFI and Mac. I’ve been updating the files and dropped everything into the folders on EFI from the zip tluck provided.

This has everything working perfectly besides the display which is still showing up as quadrants.

When I attempt to install Clover again on the desktop it fails, and previously what made my display show up correct on 10.8.5 was simply selecting UEFI and then my Mac install during the boot process, that made everything boot properly. Now when I select UEFI it doesn’t seem to work, it just essentially refreshes the window so I can select UEFI endlessly or I can select my Mavericks install.

It seems like something is wrong with my Clover install but I can’t figure out what or how to fix it.

I went through all the steps on post #486 and it didn’t seem to resolve my issue, I even went and edited the .plist and turned dual link off as that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I’m trying to fix it now via my macbook air using splashtop so I can edit things without having to squint :-)