Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hi!

Don't know if my question is offtopic here, but I'm a bit frustrated.

I want to update to Mavericks from 10.8.3. If I start the installer and choose my OS_X hard disk partition, the installer tells me, my partition is not guid. So I have to cancel.

To change the partition to guid isn't easy, because on this hard disk is also my Win-Partition and the Recovery from Lenovo. I mustn't loose them...

Is there an Option to Update with the normal Update and changing the Kexts?

So I tried to make a bootable USB-Stick like the first time installing ML. But every Guide and every Tool (myHack, DiskMaker X) I use ends with the same Problem: I can't boot from the Stick. I choose it by the Lenovo-Bootmanager (F11 while starting) - the monitor change to black and returns to the Boot-menu.

If I want to use my Chameleon-Boot-Loader, the USB-Stick is not shown.

Changed the USB-Stick. No Effect...

So I think I make a 'Master-Mistake' by preparing the USB. Here's my doing:

- Partitioning the USB-Stick to a new Patition 'MAC OS extended' - Option 'GUID'

- starting DiskMaker X ... waiting

- restarting - no USB-Stick will be found.

My config: T420, 3 Partitions (Recover, Win7, OSX), Chameleon Bootloader

Is there help for me? Another Guide which explains for super-idiots?! ;-)

Or do have I to use in future Win95? ;-)

Thanks in advance!!

Greetings, Synymy

@amar0 - i just repackaged the zip in #486 that may make it easier for you to make a 10.9 installer. the top level DSDT is a bit more generic so it will work with either low or high resolution LCD. 

@Snynymy - i have switched to GUID in general. if you have a 2nd disk - install to GUID disk and then use Carbon Copy to move it to your MBR disk. thats how i used to do it! 

or here is a link that may be of interest to you. Mavericks MBR patch 10.9 GM (13A603)

Thanks to Kogen Mantis, Tluck et al. I now have a fully functional 10.8.5 install. No bluetooth but replaced the wifi card. I have never been happier. Thanks

bluetooth should be fixable by either replacing or editing: BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext (v4.1.7 with patched Info.plist from 10.8.5) - adds ProductID 8575 to make BT work! Put/replace one in /S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

For me I didn't have built-in bluetooth, but buying and installing this USB adapter fixed my wifi with no drivers needed at all:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GFX0PY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, wifi works perfectly but needs some software with this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26PMO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now that my hackintosh is working perfectly I am of course teetering on the edge of futzing with it some more. Wanted to see if anyone else had any experience using one of the UltraBay hard drive adapters?

I was curious about installing the original HDD back in the ultrabay (I am using a 128gb SSD as my main drive) and doing a Windows Install as an alternative.

Also for dual boot any method I should use in particular? In the past I always did boot camp and then installed Parallels configured to my boot camp partition because this gave me the best flexibility with both dual booting and virtualization.

Any general tips?

@tluck thank you, i tried again but i'm still not able for boot i keep having this problem "AppleACPIlataformExpert::start failed" and a kernel panic. i'm really frustated i try almost every solution posted in this thread unsuccefully. what it could be?

@amar0 - well can you explain what step you are at and what you did so far.

does the installer work without "quadrants"?

is this KP from the installer or after the install?

did you replace the EFI contents with the zip stuff?

which config.plist and dsdt are you using?

did you rename the OEM folder or are using the top level config.plist?

did you rename OEM folder?

did you copy the kexts to your HD?

did you turn off VT-d Virtualization?

what bios version are on?

Good find, @tluck

descriptor 1:    bc 1b 56 84 50 00 16 30 30 20 14 00 35 ae 10 00 00 1a

mine actually was proper already, but i've spent like good couple of month adjusting frequencies in SwitchResX back in the day before I ended up with an EDID that wouldn't glitch the screen.

@amar0 - well can you explain what step you are at and what you did so far.

does the installer work without "quadrants"?

is this KP from the installer or after the install?

did you replace the EFI contents with the zip stuff?

which config.plist and dsdt are you using?

did you rename the OEM folder or are using the top level config.plist?

did you rename OEM folder?

did you copy the kexts to your HD?

did you turn off VT-d Virtualization?

what bios version are on?

thank you again @tluck !!

Ok i re-install from scratch

i made a chamelleon USB installer for 10.9, install was perfect no display problems and it finish all right.

after that i install clover in a USB, apply the patch from #486 (the one uploaded today)and when i try to boot from USB nothing happens it doesn't boot, so i "install"(copy all the files to the EFI Folder)  clover to the EFI partition using a linux distro, after that i was able to enter main screen of clover. When  i select boot the OSX on OSX  i get this (picture attached), so i'm a bit of stuck i can't figure out what is wrong. so resuming your questions:

installer quadrant=no

KP= after install

EFI from zip=yes

Config.plist= i change the name in OEM folder (low screen 1333xetc..) for match my model  (4236NUS i5 1366x768)

Rename OEM folder= yes

kext= i can't copy the kext to HD because i can boot OSX, and from the linux distro i can write to HFS+ Journaled so, dont :/

VT-d= Off

Bios=1.4

PS: i dont know about dsdt, i just use the clover and your patch, i'm i missing something?

DSC_1478.jpg

PMPatch of Powermanagement.kext is actually not well working on Mavericks. It seems to me, that this is a common problem for devices without pmpatched bios.

If you can not get a pmpatched bios for your lappy or patch it by yourself, you can boot from your usb installer and try to copy for now nullcpupowermangement.kext with terminal to S/L/E of your installed hd partiton. Don´t forget to repair permissions. Afterwards boot with flags -f v.

Have fun.

@anarch99 - you will get ethernet if you installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext ... but wifi AFAIK is only works with modded bios and then you replace the intel wifi with the mini express card. the  bottom slots will not work for wifi. for wifi, i use a USB wifi.

The WWAN slot is also capable of hosting wifi cards. I did this briefly, for kicks, with a card from an old hackintosh. However, there isn't a way to connect a wifi antenna, so the signal strength will probably be much weaker. You need to install the bios mod regardless of where you install it (this is very easy, mostly safe, and probably covered by your warranty if you manage to mess up). New wifi cards can be found for less than $15 with shipping. I've heard there are USB wifi cards in the mini-pcie form-factor -- these could be used without the bios patch. Personally, I like my native wifi support (it supports AirDrop and gets much better speeds and signal coverage then the AirLink that I originally purchased).

Finally, the folder I am supposed to rename is "4236Y33" correct? The question is, how do I know what to rename it properly? Where do I find the appropriate string?

The string is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Now that my hackintosh is working perfectly I am of course teetering on the edge of futzing with it some more. Wanted to see if anyone else had any experience using one of the UltraBay hard drive adapters?

I was curious about installing the original HDD back in the ultrabay (I am using a 128gb SSD as my main drive) and doing a Windows Install as an alternative.

Also for dual boot any method I should use in particular? In the past I always did boot camp and then installed Parallels configured to my boot camp partition because this gave me the best flexibility with both dual booting and virtualization.

Any general tips?

I do this. It works great. I'm thinking of buying an SSD as a third drive (in the WWAN slot) and making it my system partition. The boot camp wizard obviously doesn't work, but you can install windows the normal way. I turn off UEFI in bios before installing windows to ensure it uses MBR, so that it works with VMware. However, the virtualization environments are starting to support EFI, so your milage may vary.

@amar0 - i just repackaged the zip in #486 that may make it easier for you to make a 10.9 installer. the top level DSDT is a bit more generic so it will work with either low or high resolution LCD. 

@Snynymy - i have switched to GUID in general. if you have a 2nd disk - install to GUID disk and then use Carbon Copy to move it to your MBR disk. thats how i used to do it! 

or here is a link that may be of interest to you. Mavericks MBR patch 10.9 GM (13A603)

Just reposted the zip file here: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide - revised the instructions a bit - hopefully it will make sense for first timers.

- Tetonne reminded me to actually include  HFSPlus-64.efi !!!

@tluck...i cant download...always disconnect, pls re upload on other site. Thanks you tluck :)

@T430(i) users

There is a new UEFI for T430, T430i that might address some issues:

From the 2.57 readme:

<2.57>
 UEFI: 2.57 / ECP: 1.12
- (Fix) Fix an issue where the system fail to boot from from USB device by 
        configuration.
- (Fix) Fix an issue where WMI interface has incorrect message.
- (Fix) Fix an issue where the mouse pointer was moved when the LCD panel was
        closed.
- (Fix) Fix an issue where the system could not resume from sleep state.

I never encountered the USB issue. It might be under W8 when you use the advanced menu to restart from a specific device. I did encounter the WMI error in W7 and W8. Event viewer would pop a WMI warning every few minutes. Harmless, but annoying. I'm wondering if it would manifest in OS X as an SMC error. Like the one's we've seen when installing or booting. The mouse pointer thing was really annoying. When you have the laptop docked with the lid closed, if you'd set your coffee over where the touchpad or trackpoint is, you would sometimes get a mouse click or the pointer moving. Got a lot of complaint about this one. The interesting one is this sleep fix. I'm hoping it doesn't break anything else. But more importantly, how does it affect/improve our sleep issues in OS X?

A word of caution:

if you've already updated past UEFI v2.50, you cannot rollback to earlier than v2.50. And with this new update, 2.57, if you update to it, you won't be able to rollback at all.

I know some of us are still on a really old UEFI because it's the only one that it whitelist patched, but I did read somewhere that the modern UEFI's from Lenovo can be patched, but it has to be performed on your own dump. Something about signatures or serials, or somewhere else that claimed new Lenovo UEFI updates are only partial/incremental/incomplete UEFI's. I don't understand it at all, but I get the feeling you can't use someone else's patched UEFI past a certain version. If someone has any information to share on whitelist patching modern Lenovo UEFI's, I'd really appreciate it.

I also have VT-d enabled in UEFI v2.53 (I think, need to check version) and have no problems installing or booting.

g1uj25uc.txt

@amar0

- you are getting close. but it seems you have not followed my guide closely. it seems you got OSX installed on the HD but the reason you can't boot is there are no custom kexts (FakeSMC etc) used during the boot from the HD.

to fix this. boot from the USB you installed from. then follow the instructions to install Clover in the ESP of the HD. Don't rename OEM until you can boot from the top level and get all the kexts on the HD /S/L/E from /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 - pay attention to where each of these need to go.

to make a Clover USB - 

if it is MBR formatted, will be a single partition typically. Use the clover installer to install the boot loader in the MBR with non UEFI options

if it is GUID formatted, this will have 2 partition typically. ESP is 1st hidden one. use the clover installer to install stuff in ESP

in either case - 

replace /EFI/CLOVER with the zip contents - don't match OEM to your product YET!!!

@Manwe150

- thanks for info around modded Bios and wifi. which min-pci-express card to you use/recommend. i think i saw a link to mod-bios 1.46. currently i use USB (can get around 144 mbps r/w)

yeah windows can be a bit tricky. my main HD is dual boot OSX/Win7 - both are UEFI. clover is really good at manage this - /EFI/Clover vs /EFI/microsoft. but both are present in Clover GUI. native boot for either one on 1st disk. (i rarely use this windows instance anymore!)

SO i took a different approach for VM, i use Fusion 5 and i prefer to keep my VMs on a 2nd disk MBR formatted.  my VMDKs (C and D drives etc) use physical disks, so i can read these from the VM or when I native boot windows. 

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk1 1 "Disk1" ide

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk1 2 "Disk2" ide

@styrian - what is this pmpatch issue all about? not sure i understand the problem here?

@tluck thank you!! Very much Men, i finally have a functional osx running great!! Thank you Very much for the help. Now i'm gonna make some testing to ser if everything is Ok. I only have 1 remaining question with thi part "If you have 1366x768 LCD, you can probably just use items as is - that is rename OEM/ProductID.1366x768 folder to match your product name. Note: if you have similar CPU as i5-2520, the SSDT.aml from above may work for you (copy from ProductID/ACPI/patched)"

where i have to Copy the dsdt.dsl?

SO i took a different approach for VM, i use Fusion 5 and i prefer to keep my VMs on a 2nd disk MBR formatted.  my VMDKs (C and D drives etc) use physical disks, so i can read these from the VM or when I native boot windows. 

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk1 1 "Disk1" ide

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk1 2 "Disk2" ide

@tluck

i'm also interested to use VM on a real partition and to be able to use it as a native boot windows.

In the past on my mini 311c i try to do that without success so i've delete the win partition. (Mac OS X boot only)

your post makes me want to try again :)

i'll take all your advice to do so. :)

@amar0

you are welcome. since you have the same CPU as me you can use the SSDT from the ProductID.1600x900 folder. just move ssdt.aml to your 

OEM/4236NUS/ACPI/patched folder. 

@tetonne - i am no expert with vm, but there are several options for Fusion. physical disks: whole disk, a partition of a disk or virtual disks (a disk in a container).

i suspect most will do VM containers as they are easy and transportable. for windows, i wanted to use physical disk so i can read the data from either a VM guest or a physical host. its been so long since i did this but i remember I had some conflicts with GPT disks and Fusion. the issue is the MBR vs PBR. Fusion seems to need/use the MBR of (either a MBR or GPT disk) to figure out partition boundaries. i recall mac diskutility will convert the PBR to MBR when you create a windows (NTFS or exfat) for bootcamp etc.  but its been so long i don't remember the details but this messed something up for me. i had to dd the PBR back in place. my config is a bit complicated.

bottom line: if you want use physical disks for VMS, i suggest a 2nd disk that you can format and experiment with. the vmware-rawdiskCreator command line tool is for creating physical vm disks - there isn't a nice GUI interface like on windows. here some examples

5 disks in the VM

disk 1 partition 1 and 2 (happens to be on a MBR disk)

disk 2 partition 3 and 4 (happens to be on a GPT disk)

disk 3 whole disk 

you can use ide or scsi

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk2 3 "Disk3" lsisas

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk2 4 "Disk4" lsisas

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk3 "fullDevice" "Disk5" lsisas

• Like 1

Hi guys, Clover question:

While upgrading to the latest gm of Mavericks, I downloaded the Mavericks upgrade app from the App Store and tried to run it directly. This made the computer restart and a new Clover boot option showed up, something like "Install Mavericks from Mac SSD". I upgraded properly later on, by creating an install USB following tluck's guide, so the upgrade went okay.

The issue is that the entry to Install it is still there, also there is another one to boot from recovery partition.

How do I get rid of this new entry? Where are these entries stored?

Thanks,

AJ

Clover boot options are probed. Meaning that for any given option there exists a partition with an OS on it. This also includes attached devices, so if you have OSX installed to your HD and you still have your thumb drive plugged in at boot, you will see boot options for your thumb drive as well.

So if you're seeing extra boot options then you have that many partitions with bootable OS's on them.

The clover config allows you to hide certain types and specific partitions, but more likely you want to actually remove the extraneous partitions and reclaim the space.

@AJ 

1)  /.IAbootfiles  or something like this is created by the installer on the OS partition you were upgrading by the Install OSX.app ...  if you have HFSplus.efi vs Vboxhfs.efi in your clover drivers folder, then clover can boot from this installer bundle upon reboot. (just like a real mac)

since you aborted the install process by not restarting using this bundle, you can get rid of this folder now.

2) the installer will create (or update) the recovery partition - which is a 650MB partition on your OS HD. ( i would keep this.)

i may have figured out why some LCDs are glitchy on HD3000. i looked at 4 good EDIDs (2 real macs, 1 HP, and 1 EDID for my LCD that works) and they have some things in common in the detailed timing section. using an EDID (view sonic) i could see that they all have Sync Offset=48 and Sync Pulse Width=32. So i edited my original EDID and modified these to values to match (which were way off) ....  

guess what? that one worked too without glitches or hangs. anyway... we have a good EDID for 1600x900 and here is one for low-res - possibly:

so if anyone is interested in trying this this to remove glitches for 1366x768 LCD (i edited tetonnes) which had sync offset=38 and sync pulse width=22

this one below encoded for clover which has the values of  48 and 32 instead of 38 and 22 respectively.

put this in your clover config.plist (replace current graphics section)

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>LCD 1366x768</string>

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wAGrzwxAAAAAAAUAQOAHxF4ChC2l1hXkiYeUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB

AQEBAQEBAQEBEhtWRlAAIzAwIDYANa0QAAAYAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAg

AAAA/gBBVU8KICAgICAgICAAAAAA/gBYWFhYWFhYWFhYMSAKACM=

</data>

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>Intel</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>InjectEDID</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Original:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-31 at 2.17.55 PM.png

Revised: (note 2 values changed on line 60)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-31 at 2.17.25 PM.png

I have an hp with 1600x900 and in the original seems to have already that 303020 and i have glitches with clover, so i think this is not real solution

Take 2: 

took another look at this ... my first attempt at understanding why 1 EDID works and the other does not  by changing sync offset width, pulse etc failed - it eventually hung.....

BUT what makes my built-in EDID work without glitches? - it is the panel size!!! i this new EDID tested on 10.8.5 and 10.9.0 by changing the panel size from 309x174  to 310x174 -- and i can NOT make it hang or glitch. this, i believe, is it. 

the one below that i obtained from Kogen is/was 310x174 panel size - so i matched my built-in to the same size changed 309 to 310 - Note: the pixel clock in built-in EDID was 110MHz vs 96Mhz along with other param diffs -  but that does not seem to matter. all the ways i know to make it hang (which is pretty easy to do with mission control on/off about 3-4 times or moving safari between monitors) fail to hang it up. 

@Yum - yeah i agree, it does seems to be a bit more that just that. it may be that + pixel clock -- the ones that work have plus other timings ... which affects vertical frequency. Have you tried injecting the 1600x900 EDID i posted that is glitch free? this one works:

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 30E4E202 00000000 00140103 801F1178 0A434597 59578E28 21505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01018025 40806084 1A303020 350036AE 10000019 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00FE004C 47204469 73706C61 790A2020 000000FE 004C5031 34305744 322D544C 42310038 

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>LCD 1600x900</string>

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wAw5OICAAAAAAAUAQOAHxF4CkNFl1lXjighUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB

AQEBAQEBAQEBgCVAgGCEGjAwIDUANq4QAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE0MFdEMi1UTEIxADg=

</data>

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>Intel</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>InjectEDID</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Edited by tluck
  • Like 2

@Yum - yeah i agree, it does seems to be a bit more that just that. it may be that + pixel clock -- the ones that work have plus other timings ... which affects vertical frequency. have you tried injecting the 1600x900 EDID i posted that is glitch free? this one works:

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 30E4E202 00000000 00140103 801F1178 0A434597 59578E28 21505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01018025 40806084 1A303020 350036AE 10000019 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00FE004C 47204469 73706C61 790A2020 000000FE 004C5031 34305744 322D544C 42310038 

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>LCD 1600x900</string>

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wAw5OICAAAAAAAUAQOAHxF4CkNFl1lXjighUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB

AQEBAQEBAQEBgCVAgGCEGjAwIDUANq4QAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE0MFdEMi1UTEIxADg=

</data>

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>Intel</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>InjectEDID</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Now i try to inject all this edid

It doesnt work buddy, glitches everywhere. I always thiought that these glitch are not edid linked honestly, i have tried everything for this but nothing work. only on chameleon and smcping i am well, on clover always glitch

hmm. ok. well it seems to work for many of us on T420. if i use the built-in EDID i get lots of glitches and buffer hangs. as soon as i use/inject this EDID - zero glitch - zero hangs.  sorry it does not work for you.

• Like 1