Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, EngLearnsh said:

rehabman has kexts that will make unauthorized bcm wifi card work. check his bitbucket

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

thanks for noticing me :), is this it? https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-atheros-3k-firmware/downloads/ , also I wanted to ask how do I install kexts, cause last time I had a display problem with the brightness adjust, What I did is copy the kexts to the  EFI partition, and then I run the install kext command again, do I just need to repeat it on this one? thanks

thanks for noticing me :), is this it? https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-atheros-3k-firmware/downloads/ , also I wanted to ask how do I install kexts, cause last time I had a display problem with the brightness adjust, What I did is copy the kexts to the  EFI partition, and then I run the install kext command again, do I just need to repeat it on this one? thanks
Sorry, i regard dw1502 as dw1520...For ar9285, simply just use FakePCIID.kext and it will work

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

2 hours ago, EngLearnsh said:

Also i wonder if the different cpu will cause glitches and freezes, my x220 is i5-2540m, hearing some of users from our chinese hackintosh forum, most of i7 users do not have these problems.

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

I have an i7 and 8gb RAM in my T420 and still get glitches.

5 hours ago, EngLearnsh said:

Do you get freezes on your T420, or just glitches and artifacts?

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

I get occasional freezes, requiring a forces shutdown. I consider my Hackintosh T420 a fun to have but not a daily driver.

i tried 3 things to help with glitches and freezes on my 8GB AUO Display system.

1) set memory speed to 1333 on both chips

2) play with EDID - made a new one called 2e3

3) changed slide=0 to slide=64

the results are too early to tell on freezes. but it certainly is a lot less glitchy. 

i am using Mojave with the "2e3" EDID (update your DisplayOverrides and AppleBackLight kext if you want to try this out.

changes are: 

1) config.plist (EDID and slide)

2) /System/.... Display...2e3

3) Backlight Injector

I posted a new release: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover/releases/tag/v2018.08.26

@somez - i hope you will try this and report good news?!

not perfect - but way better so far.

Edited by tluck

6 days after adding mem to 16gb, the freeze and glitches are finally gone. Now I enjoy with the latest beta version of Mojave, works really awsome:)

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

i tried 3 things to help with glitches and freezes on my 8GB AUO Display system.

the results are too early to tell on freezes. but it certainly is a lot less glitchy. 
i am using Mojave with the "2e3" EDID (update your DisplayOverrides and AppleBackLight kext if you want to try this out.
changes are: 
3) Backlight Injector

I posted a new release: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover/releases/tag/v2018.08.26

Thanks@tluck, great improvements to solve glitches. I will try the latest clover and AppleALC later.

通过我的 MI 8 上的 Tapatalk发言

20 hours ago, tluck said:

changes are: 

3) Backlight Injector

Thanks a lot tluck!

Just to make sure I've done all the updates, here are the steps performed:

1. mounted the EFI folder

2. cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.08.26/EFI/ /Volumes/ESP/EFI

3. ran the createAppleBacklightInjector.command

4. ran the _kext-install.command

5. copied the vendorIDs using command: sudo cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.08.26/\:System\:Library\:Displays\:Contents\:Resources\:Overrides/DisplayVendorID-* /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/

6. replaced the config.plist with the one you've suggested
   - cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER

- mv config.1600x900.2e3.plist config.plist

7. Reboot 

p.s. I've not yet installed the "heat-step stuff" to make sure nothing is interfering with the testing. 

Edited by Somez

Left the machine to idle for 10 mins and the LCD did not come back from sleep :( 

The backlight turns on as always, but the screen remains black.

Update: It seems the use of Transmission (the torrent client) is effecting my freezes in a bad way. When it is running, I get freezes very soon. Otherwise I get them after like 30 minutes. I do have files kept in seed and they are stored on my spinning HDD which is in optibay.

Edited by Somez

27 minutes ago, tluck said:

@Somez

weird about black screen after sleep. i have not seen that.  

are you running High Sierra or Mojave?

is your LCD AUO brand? 

what is memory speed set to?

I thought you were having he same issue :)

I'm now on Mojave, using high sierra HD3000 kexts but this "black screen" issue was the same under high sierra.

My memory speed is set to 1333 MHz in BIOS and they are indeed 1333 MHz modules.

My LCD should be stock. How do I check the maker?

My machine has been running fine since my last comment, meaning I had no freezes in the last 1 hour despite the machine was idling with LCD turned off a couple of times. Transmission is not running, that's key.

On my system, the latest changes have made a significant reduction in the number of graphics glitches when watching youtube videos and also to the number of freezes. I still get the occasional glitches on videos, but nowhere near what I used to get. This is on a High Sierra install, as I will likely wait for Mojave to be released before I think about changing to that.

On the subject of Mojave, would anyone care to write a post on exactly how this is installed on a T420. I know all the information is here somewhere, but it would be great to have it all in one place. I believe that it's necessary to move over some HD3000 files somehow?

Edited by bedfellow

On 8/2/2018 at 4:57 AM, tluck said:

well for your wifi card (same as mine) you will need to copy the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext from High Sierra to Mojave. you can put in /S/L/E or put in your ESP.

and yeah i am using the "Mojave" config.plist for both High Sierra and Mojave (which gives me night shift for the display). 

If I use Mojave config.plist on my High Sierra install, I get a stretched display on my 1600 x 900. What do I need to change?

@bedfellow in the config.mojave.plist in devices/properties, uncomment DualLink=1

and then you can also uncomment/rename #2e3-AAPL00,... to AAPL00, to get the 2e3 EDID injected via properties as well. good to test without custom EDID and some LCDs might work ok. AUO will start like this:

00ffffffffffff0006af3e2100000000

06af = AUO and product ID = 21e3 (hex)

@somez - to check the LCD ---

dont inject EDID (comment EDID or AAPL00,no-connect) - boot and run ioreg -l | grep yEDID

copy the string and post. there are tools to read the EDID and parse out values - i have a tool.

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tluck said:

@bedfellow in the config.mojave.plist in devices/properties, uncomment DualLink=1

and then you can also uncomment/rename #2e3-AAPL00,... to AAPL00, to get the 2e3 EDID injected via properties as well. good to test without custom EDID and some LCDs might work ok. AUO will start like this:

00ffffffffffff0006af3e2100000000

06af = AUO and product ID = 21e3 (hex)

@somez - to check the LCD ---

dont inject EDID (comment EDID or AAPL00,no-connect) - boot and run ioreg -l | grep yEDID

copy the string and post. there are tools to read the EDID and parse out values - i have a tool.

"dont inject EDID (comment EDID or AAPL00,no-connect)"

Where do I do this? In the config.plist? Will my machine boot with a usable screen after I boot without EDID injection? :)

By the way, with the latest package the brightness hotkeys stopped working and even in Settings I cannot change it. There is no slider.

Edited by Somez

@Somez a couple of things... 

1) you don't have to install the custom kexts in the OS - I just leave them all in the ESP now. meaning the custom stuff in /Library/Extensions are optional and could be removed. for Mojave the HD3000 and WiFi stuff seems to work best in /S/L/E

2) if you use the latest bundle - the AppleBacklightInjector.kext has support for product ID 2e3 (and will give a slider etc)

3) your machine should boot with the built-in EDID vs injection but if AUO may not be stable for long! so just test and report.

the best way to test stuff out is to create a config.test.plist so during the Clover boot, you can select that config file to test it. 

for you just use  config.mojave.plist - for 1600x900 un-comment (remove #) for DualLink. this config does not inject EDID by default. if you want to test Mojave with EDID injection - then remove these 4 characters "#2e3-" in this line <key>#2e3-AAPL00,override-no-connect</key>

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tluck said:

@Somez a couple of things... 

1) you don't have to install the custom kexts in the OS - I just leave them all in the ESP now. meaning the custom stuff in /Library/Extensions are optional and could be removed. for Mojave the HD3000 and WiFi stuff seems to work best in /S/L/E

2) if you use the latest bundle - the AppleBacklightInjector.kext has support for product ID 2e3 (and will give a slider etc)

3) your machine should boot with the built-in EDID vs injection but if AUO may not be stable for long! so just test and report.

the best way to test stuff out is to create a config.test.plist so during the Clover boot, you can select that config file to test it. 

for you just use  config.mojave.plist - for 1600x900 un-comment (remove #) for DualLink. this config does not inject EDID by default. if you want to test Mojave with EDID injection - then remove these 4 characters "#2e3-" in this line <key>#2e3-AAPL00,override-no-connect</key>

I'm sorry tluck, but I'm a bit confused and need more guidance.

1) I've already got a ton of kexts in /L/E

Which ones should I delete?

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

ACPIPoller.kext

ACS6x.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

AppleALC.kext

AppleBacklightInjector.kext

AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kex

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.p

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDr

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADr

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

ArcMSR.kext

BlueTooth_Injector_T420.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

EFICheckDisabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.k

IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Lilu.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SoftRAID.kext

SophosFileProtection.kext

SophosWebProtection.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

2) I copied all the files to EFI again but the hotkeys still doesn't work.
cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.08.26/EFI/ /Volumes/ESP/EFI

update #1: I removed the Applebkclightinjctor.kext at /L/E and after reboot it's working so probably now CLOVER is injecting the right kext, that is in the EFI folder. What a mess...

3) I'm using the config.1600x900.2e3.plist already. Should I change anything or just dump the EDID values here?

Thanks.

Edited by Somez

Well, things are getting interesting.

I was experimenting and renamed the ACPIBatteryManager.kext at /L/E. After reboot I don't see battery data so the kext is not loaded. I thought CLOVER should find it in the EFI folder...

Edited by Somez

@tluck

"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff0030e4e30200000000ff140104801f1178e23385995655912717505400000001010101010101010101010101010101ae24405a60841a303020350036ae1000001a401f408060841a303020350036ae10000018000000fe004c656e6f766f0a202020202020000000fe0031363030783930300a2020202000c6>

This one is saying Lenovo 1600x900

00ffffffffffff0006af3e210000000021140104901f11780261959c59528f2621505400000001010101010101010101010101010101f82a409a61840c30402a330035ae10000018a51c409a61840c30402a330035ae10000018000000fe0041554f0a202020202020202020000000fe004231343052573032205631200a00d0

This one is saying AOU B140RW02 V1 when checking with a hexeditor

Edited by Somez
  • Like 1

@Somez

well yes you have exact same LCD as me AUO 21e3 - B140RW02 V1. 

the way Clover works with the "detect" setting is that it looks for FakeSMC in the OS. if it is there, it wont inject kexts from the ESP and it expects to use just the OS cache.

If you remove all them from /L/E - then you should just have the kexts in ESP - seems to simplify things IMO. 

So in terms of kexts to remove from /L/E ... these are custom ones not provided by Apple:

Misc:

ACPIPoller.kext

AppleHDA_20672.kext

IntelBacklight.kext

Other:

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleALC.kext

AppleBacklightInjector.kext

BlueTooth_Injector_T420.kext

EFICheckDisabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Lilu.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

These seem to work better in /System/Library/Extensions - so i would move them there

AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle