Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,872 posts in this topic

Hey, I just formatted my disk and installed Mountain Lion using GPT and booting through Clover.

Now, I try installing Windows, but whenever I try to choose a partition where to install, it says that it's formatted to MBR, and that in EFI mode the disk must be partitioned with GPT, which actually is...

Okay, I managed to install it by disabling EFI temporarily. Now, is there any way I can get Clover to boot Windows from EFI? Is there a guide on this?

As i see u have installed windows on mbr not gpt.

disconect HDD where u install clover and osx!

Boot windows UEFI and when it says that it need GPT disk to install press shift + F10

then

diskpart

select disk 0 "note"disk 0 its the first disk,one that we use for windows) soo be sure that u dont have any other disks attached when installing)"

clean

then close cmd

press refresh and u can make new partition for windows uefi and install.

when u finished just connect osx disk back and u are good to go.

windows 8 have UEFI boot by default but if u wanna windows 7 UEFi then u need to follow this guide to make USB stick for windows 7 uefi

• Like 1

Sorry, what is mean "Clover to boot Windows from EFI"?

You said that you install Windows on EFI partition? Yes, 200Mb was enough for Windows 98....

haha I meant to ask how I could put Windows as an option in Clover (now that I'm booting using UEFI with it). Mountain Lion works fine here. I am not able to use Chameleon as a local bootloader because of this EFI thing (I can disable it on BIOS but to add a local boot option you actually need an .efi file so that's a no-go)

@picu97 - are you booting using UEFI or CloverEFI? if you are pure UEFI, then your windows installation media must match. there are several guides on how to make a UEFI bootable windows installation USB stick. i have 2 versions - one that installs on MBR formatted and the other is UEFI for GPT/GUID formatted disks.  

My laptop is booting via UEFI to Clover, so as to boot Mountain Lion from it (locally) and evade the use of a USB stick to do so (Chameleon, Chimera, etc...) I read somewhere that if you partition a drive with one partition being Mac OS (Journaled) and other being MSDOS (FAT), the partition table will be created as a hybrid GPT/MBR. I did this when I installed ML for the first time, and yes I selected GUID. Knowing this I just made a CCC image, erased the drive using just Mac OS (journaled) formatted partitions and restored from it. I'll be trying to install Windows again in a minute. I'll post back. (I need to note that as I am using a laptop, I only have one local drive, so I must install OS X and Windows on the same disk :( )

As i see u have installed windows on mbr not gpt.

disconect HDD where u install clover and osx!

Boot windows UEFI and when it says that it need GPT disk to install press shift + F10

then

diskpart

select disk 0 "note"disk 0 its the first disk,one that we use for windows) soo be sure that u dont have any other disks attached when installing)"

clean

then close cmd

press refresh and u can make new partition for windows uefi and install.

when u finished just connect osx disk back and u are good to go.

windows 8 have UEFI boot by default but if u wanna windows 7 UEFi then u need to follow this guide to make USB stick for windows 7 uefi

I am completely, 100% sure it's a GPT disk, plus I only have 1 disk to install both OSs. Now that I know I partitioned it using both Mac OS and FAT partitions, and hence got a hybrid PT, I just erased the disk correctly and I'm now trying to install Windows again.

Thanks everyone, I'll post back.

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to solve an issue that I am having with a very slow Clover startup whenever I disable CSM in Z77X-UD5H BIOS and with two Radeon 7970 in CrossFireX configuration.

My clover bootlog shows a very long delay between these two points:

0:119  0:000  Searching for invalid DiskIo BY_DRIVER connects: not found, all ok
42:535  42:416  LoadDrivers() end

The odd thing is that if I disable all other SATA drives, the boot process is much quicker. Any ideas what might be happening in between?

Many thanks in advance.

haha I meant to ask how I could put Windows as an option in Clover (now that I'm booting using UEFI with it). Mountain Lion works fine here. I am not able to use Chameleon as a local bootloader because of this EFI thing (I can disable it on BIOS but to add a local boot option you actually need an .efi file so that's a no-go)

My laptop is booting via UEFI to Clover, so as to boot Mountain Lion from it (locally) and evade the use of a USB stick to do so (Chameleon, Chimera, etc...) I read somewhere that if you partition a drive with one partition being Mac OS (Journaled) and other being MSDOS (FAT), the partition table will be created as a hybrid GPT/MBR. I did this when I installed ML for the first time, and yes I selected GUID. Knowing this I just made a CCC image, erased the drive using just Mac OS (journaled) formatted partitions and restored from it. I'll be trying to install Windows again in a minute. I'll post back. (I need to note that as I am using a laptop, I only have one local drive, so I must install OS X and Windows on the same disk :( )

I am completely, 100% sure it's a GPT disk, plus I only have 1 disk to install both OSs. Now that I know I partitioned it using both Mac OS and FAT partitions, and hence got a hybrid PT, I just erased the disk correctly and I'm now trying to install Windows again.

Thanks everyone, I'll post back.

You don't have to reformat your hard drive, use fdisk to convert Hybrid MBR to Protective MBR and you can install UEFI Windows.

• Like 1

You don't have to reformat your hard drive, use fdisk to convert Hybrid MBR to Protective MBR and you can install UEFI Windows.

How didn't I know that...

Oh well, that could have saved me a lot of time...

Anyways, this partitioning method wasn't working for me, so knowing I had nothing to lose (I made the backup earlier), I went on and erased the drive. Now I partitioned it using diskpart on Windows and created 4 separate drives using GPT once again... And installed it.

Mountain Lion installation was well, simple as having another Mac and my disk, and using CCC to restore the image I made to it.

Going back to Clover UEFI was really easy, just mount the EFI partition I made earlier (which had Windows' EFI in there) and just threw in the bunch of folders Clover needs.

So I'm happy for now...

I've gotten occasional hangs when shutting down or restarting the P9X79 PRO (BIOS 4302). I could shutdown/restart for maybe a day or two and not have it happen. Then last night night I fired it up to apply a security update and it hung on the reboot.

When this happens I have to hold down the power button until the system shuts down. Then when I power it back up I get a "overclocking failed, press F1 to enter setup" message. This takes me into the BIOS where I just press F10 to save it and it restarts and boots. I'm not overclocking (unless setting memory to XMP profile 1 counts, which I doubt). This has happened since I started using Clover, so from r1955 to present. At different stages I've tried removing CsmVideoDxe and adding EmuVariableUefi to see if either had an effect but eventually I'd still get a hang. By contrast, I haven't had a hang on the P8Z68, but I haven't installed Clover to the hard disk on that, I just boot from USB.

I've gotten occasional hangs when shutting down or restarting the P9X79 PRO (BIOS 4302). I could shutdown/restart for maybe a day or two and not have it happen. Then last night night I fired it up to apply a security update and it hung on the reboot.

When this happens I have to hold down the power button until the system shuts down. Then when I power it back up I get a "overclocking failed, press F1 to enter setup" message. This takes me into the BIOS where I just press F10 to save it and it restarts and boots. I'm not overclocking (unless setting memory to XMP profile 1 counts, which I doubt). This has happened since I started using Clover, so from r1955 to present. At different stages I've tried removing CsmVideoDxe and adding EmuVariableUefi to see if either had an effect but eventually I'd still get a hang. By contrast, I haven't had a hang on the P8Z68, but I haven't installed Clover to the hard disk on that, I just boot from USB.

mhm..friend welcome in this world...me too have a problem with x79..dont worry...now try chamaleon or enoch boot loader

Yeah it's all good with Chameleon. The only issues I've had with Clover were all on this board (installer not working, XMP Detection not working and these hangs). None of these happen on the Z68.

One thing that I should mention is that I'm booting with the arch=i386 boot-arg. The 64-bit drivers for my audio interface don't work properly so I'm stuck using the last stable driver which is 32-bit only.

Yeah it's all good with Chameleon. The only issues I've had with Clover were all on this board (installer not working, XMP Detection not working and these hangs). None of these happen on the Z68.

Friend relax relax ...me too on my old asus p8z68 deluxe all work perfect with clover UEFI ...so returne on cham or legacy mode clover ....

One thing that I should mention is that I'm booting with the arch=i386 boot-arg. The 64-bit drivers for my audio interface don't work properly so I'm stuck using the last stable driver which is 32-bit only.

Hmm. You have kernel for 10.6.8 patched for your i7-3930k? May be you should look on 10.7.5 that also is able to boot in 32bit mode.

About your problem I want to remind that Clover is not only UEFI boot. The Clover can also start with legacy boot and in this case all problems will disappear.  :rolleyes:

I can't make AMI UEFI works as good as Clover EFI.  :king:

• Like 2

Hmm. You have kernel for 10.6.8 patched for your i7-3930k? May be you should look on 10.7.5 that also is able to boot in 32bit mode.

About your problem I want to remind that Clover is not only UEFI boot. The Clover can also start with legacy boot and in this case all problems will disappear.  :rolleyes:I can't make AMI UEFI works as good as Clover EFI.  :king:

Slice sorry ...dont remember how install to mode legacy..mega lol....ahahahah

I've been using NullCPUPM, Sleepenabler and VoodooTSCSync to take care of the CPU. No patched kernel. When I started using Clover I did try the KernelCPU patch to see what would happen but it didn't apply it.

I could drop back to legacy Clover but in that case I could also just stick with Chameleon. UEFI booting is the main draw for me with Clover. I don't use any of it's patching features as I have a DSDT to handle all that.

I guess it's just a case of waiting for Asus to fix their BIOS?

Update: From talking to Carmine I've removed VoodooTSCSync. Any guide I read for x79 told me I needed this but so far I haven't seen any issues with it removed. In both Chameleon and Clover.

Zar , of course without Driver 64 uefi ,let me see the entire screen of what you have selected, come down with the other options, uffff...lol

You asked about legacy Clover? You need no drivers64UEFI and only one driver in drivers64 folder, FSInject.efi. By default.

I said you third times: make all by default. Do not invent something by yourself.

• Like 1

Im having trouble with the about this mac section, I edited my custom picture for my computer and monitor and now when i have the monitor named the right way it shows as the pc too. any idea?

is there somewhere i can re download the icns pack for the original pictures icons?

There is a problem with installation of 10.8.5 with BlueTooth on Lenovo T420. The installation will hang unless the WiFi is disabled in bios. However, once installed there is a fix by editing the Broadcom Plugin Info.plist 

changed 8532 to 8575 and it will not hang. I wanted to patch the Info.plist with clover but i cannot seem to get clover to actually patch it? is this the right way? the 2nd part works for patching the Buffer. 

Update - this works but not consistently. it seems a bit catch-22. i booted with NoCache and it will Force Load then patch it. But sometimes it will not actually work - sometimes it works.  So i ended up just manually editing info.plist and this works fine.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
        <dict>
                <key>AppleRTC</key>
                <true/>
                <key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Replace 4th port with VGA</string>
                <key>Debug</key>
                <true/>
                <key>KextsToPatch</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <string>8532</string>
                                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                                <string>Yes</string>
                                <key>Name</key>
                                <string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <string>8575</string>
                        </dict>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <data>
                                AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
                                AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
                                </data>
                                <key>Name</key>
                                <string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <data>
                                AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
                                AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
                                </data>
                        </dict>
                </array>
        </dict>
Edited by tluck

@darkera13 -- yes have to modify config.plist  move out boot args from the SystemParameters section and make a new section. there were a quite a bit of changes to the config.plist structures and variables lately. if you run clover-genconfig you can see the new methods.

<key>Boot</key>
        <dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string>-v slide=0 darkwake=11</string>
                <key>DefaultVolume</key>
                <string>OSX+</string>
                <key>Fast</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Log</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Timeout</key>
                <integer>8</integer>