Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I have no task to install each new system on new clean computer. Usually I just press "Update" or start Install.app.

I must try that next time, too :)  Dunno why I always go the complicated way.

I have a small question:  My usb drives appear as internal drives and I want them to appear as yellow usb drives... Somehow I remember there was an option for that in clover?

EDIT: Also I now also have a drive entry in clover without a name... How to hide that?

I must try that next time, too :)  Dunno why I always go the complicated way.

I have a small question:  My usb drives appear as internal drives and I want them to appear as yellow usb drives... Somehow I remember there was an option for that in clover?

EDIT: Also I now also have a drive entry in clover without a name... How to hide that?

Clover has no special options for internal and orange drives. 

There is kext patch for this purpose exists.

To hide some entry look into config-sample.plist and compare with your boot.log.

• Like 2

Clover has no special options for internal and orange drives. 

There is kext patch for this purpose exists.

To hide some entry look into config-sample.plist and compare with your boot.log.

Pity I only can find such patches for the opposite: Making usb drives appearing as internal... 

EDIT: Ok, it turns out that a USB-SATA bridge will appear as internal drive, but not an usb stick.

USB-SATA Bridge:

Produkt-ID:	0x2773
  Hersteller-ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)

Ok sorry off topic then.

Is there any really recent DSDT from Apple hardware available?  I have seen that the Sierra 10.12.4 update ships with lots of EFI updates, I guess to fix the new installer path, but also to exclude old Macs?   Anyway maybe those updates then contain a recent ACPI / DSDT, too?

Is there any really recent DSDT from Apple hardware available? I have seen that the Sierra 10.12.4 update ships with lots of EFI updates, I guess to fix the new installer path, but also to exclude old Macs? Anyway maybe those updates then contain a recent ACPI / DSDT, too?

EFI does not contain installer paths and because there is one image for every model, excluding Macs is nonsense. And even if either was the case, it would not be done via ACPI.

EFI does not contain installer paths and because there is one image for every model, excluding Macs is nonsense. And even if either was the case, it would not be done via ACPI.

Huh but cover does... By installer paths I mean paths to boot.efi, that path had changed with 10.12.4. If there are more efi updates missing, for example for late imac 2007, this device won't be able to load boot.efi.

Huh but cover does... By installer paths I mean paths to boot.efi, that path had changed with 10.12.4. If there are more efi updates missing, for example for late imac 2007, this device won't be able to load boot.efi.

One more time, EFI does not contain installer paths and that Clover does is irrelevant.

This really should not be coded like this, why have that array of paths if you are going to hard code it in two other locations as well? Those two sections should be rewritten to use that already created array of paths to prevent having to add three separate things if a path is changed. You can make the array into an array of arrays of two strings (CHAR16 *[COUNT][2] = { { Path1, Desc1 }, { Path2, Desc2 } }; ) that way even the last one can just loop through the array and add the loaders...

EDIT: Didn't want a blinky emoji, wanted a semi colon and a close parenthesis.

Is there any really recent DSDT from Apple hardware available?  I have seen that the Sierra 10.12.4 update ships with lots of EFI updates, I guess to fix the new installer path, but also to exclude old Macs?   Anyway maybe those updates then contain a recent ACPI / DSDT, too?

Actually there is a mechanism in EFI called BootNext, which is assigned to the loader to boot next, which is all the installer does. For some reason, I think because the loader entry it points to is in the wrong format, PC UEFI does not boot using this variable when the mac OS installer sets BootNext. It is immediately cleared upon read for use by the firmware, so it is not available to anything but the pre initialization boot, which you can't access unless you mod your firmware.

EDIT: More information.

Will clover soon support AFS? Just curious, since Apple seems to roll out AFS in next Upgrade 10.13...

Silly question. How will old macs support it? Through a firmware upgrade that will add a driver just like HFSPlus.efi and then it will be extracted and used.

• Like 1

apfs.efi is located in /usr/standalone/i386 under 10.12.5 Beta. (Sorry. IDK what about 10.12.4...)

Well, but I guess Apple just adds it for experimental purposes.

Most interesting...

Edit: So sierra supports bootable apfs containers?

The installer uses bless. Maybe BootNext too, but not to store the boot file path.

The installer uses Boot0082 (I think thats the one) to store boot data and BootNext is a number pointing to which Boot variable to use in booting this one next time. The path in Boot0082 is possibly just to the volume (I'm pretty sure it is), making it not suitable for PC UEFI booting and moves onto the BootOrder list, etc. However, Apple EFI inspects the volume for the blessed boot data because bless is filesystem based NOT firmware and will then boot that before moving onto the BootOrder variable and the rest of the boot options.

apfs.efi is located in /usr/standalone/i386 under 10.12.5 Beta. (Sorry. IDK what about 10.12.4...)

Well, but I guess Apple just adds it for experimental purposes.

Its also there.

Then there's the answer take that driver and put it in the appropriate drivers folder for clover and you can read AFS volumes. Note you won't be able to boot clover from an AFS volume but mac OS, yes.

Most interesting...

Edit: So sierra supports bootable apfs containers?

I'm guessing if you decide to create an encrypted volume then this driver will be on the recovery which actually boots and decrypts the volume to boot. Or in the firmware. It couldn't actually be started without loading that driver from some already readable filesystem.