Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

To set screen resolution there are two conditions:

1. The resolution must be supported by Video BIOS.

2. The resolution must be present in your monitor EDID. You may inject custom one to replace native.

Someone here can boot El Capitan in a USB stick with Clover in Legacy Mode?

I don't know why, but i can only boot in UEFI mode...

Maybe the USB drive is not formatted for MBR? I haven't used Clover in Legacy mode ever since I found out I can use it in UEFI mode. :)) But this would be my first thought on this issue. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Maybe the USB drive is not formatted for MBR? 

I formatted my PenDrive as MBR and GPT layout, but both don't works... :(

Hi, I can boot.

Legacy
Legacy + esp 

​usb GUID partition

Which guide do you follow? I tried a lot of guides, but maybe the guide that you've followed can be helpful for me.

No problem buddy! 

Thanks  ;)

Hi Allan, I found some difficult to start Clover in Legacy mode on my laptop, so I solved by installing Enoch in the ESP, then I installed Clover Legacy in ESP, selecting boot0af.

You can also select "don't update boot sectors" (or similar), at this time Clover start with the Enoch boot file (delete Extra folder)

It seems that installing Clover Legacy boot file is not written correctly, while overwriting the one existing Enoch boot file everything works properly

• Like 2

Hi Allan, I found some difficult to start Clover in Legacy mode on my laptop, so I solved by installing Enoch in the ESP, then I installed Clover Legacy in ESP, selecting boot0af.

You can also select "don't update boot sectors" (or similar), at this time Clover start with the Enoch boot file (delete Extra folder)

It seems that installing Clover Legacy boot file is not written correctly, while overwriting the one existing Enoch boot file everything works properly

Info: boot1h is the same, only i think different and newer nasm assembler (at least not the one coming with OSX) to compile it.

boot1h? You didn't use ESP formatted to FAT32?

In this case you should bother about HFSPlus.efi driver.

Offcourse Yes (ESP always Fat32), but if Carbo solve installing bootsectors in the ESP I imagine that them try first in the System partition, and boot1h is the same (except for optimizations). This also can be a way to try both bootloaders and don't care about rewriting partition boot sector.

I've tried HFSPlus insteat ov Vbox64 without success, i think my problem is inside bios of my Fujitsu laptop.

The bios is UEFI but i can't boot in UEFI mode, and in legacy mode i can't boot if the bootloader is installed into root (Bios Phoenix Secure Tiano)

While booting i have a tiny loading bar and apple logo on an UHD-res monitor, i've tried with booterconfig bit 1 (0x2) other values too but no changes, isn't that the right value ?

#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic (1 << 0)

#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI (1 << 1)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlack (1 << 2)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig    (1 << 3)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig    (1 << 4)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot (1 << 5)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg (1 << 6)

#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI (1 << 7)

Is that not a HiDPI boot mode ?

Unfortunately no comment, what i want is the bigger apple boot-logo, is there another boot-arg for that?

I got really tired of having to set "nv_disable=1" in my boot-args when updating to a new OS version on my Maxwell GPU, so I figured out a way to patch the stock NVDAStartup.kext to avoid the panic.  There's one byte different between the 10.11/10.11.1 version and the 10.11.2 version, not sure if there's a better way of handling this other than just having two patch entries.

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Maxwell panic fix 10.11</string>
<key>Find</key>
<string>898d14ffffff418d46ef83f80273094c8d3514090000eb34</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>NVDAStartup</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>898d14ffffff418d46ef9090909090909090909090909090</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Maxwell panic fix 10.11.2</string>
<key>Find</key>
<string>418d46ef83f80273094c8d35f1090000eb34</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>NVDAStartup</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>418d46ef9090909090909090909090909090</string>
</dict>

It basically NOP's out the 4 instructions in the middle of this block so that NVDAStartup doesn't try to match a Maxwell GPU.  As far as I can tell, the panic comes from the fact NVDAStartup is incorrectly matching a Maxwell GPU but the stock Apple drivers don't support it, so skipping this avoids the panic.

00000000000015ad 418D46EF                        lea        eax, dword [ds:r14-0x11] ; XREF=__ZN11NVDAStartup5probeEP9IOServicePi+406
00000000000015b1 83F802                          cmp        eax, 0x2
00000000000015b4 7309                            jae        0x15bf
00000000000015b6 4C8D35F1090000                  lea        r14, qword [ds:0x1fae] ; "GM100"
00000000000015bd EB34                            jmp        0x15f3
00000000000015bf 488D3DEE090000                  lea        rdi, qword [ds:0x1fb4] ; "Architecture couldn't be recognized! PMC_BOOT_0 = %p, PMC_BOOT_42 = 0x%08x\\n", argument "format" for method _kprintf, XREF=__ZN11NVDAStartup5probeEP9IOServicePi+424

I would've preferred to match more stuff around the code in question, but there were significant differences in the instruction stream between 10.11.1 and 10.11.2 so I just settled for the instruction(s) directly before the CMP.

• Like 7

Unfortunately no comment, what i want is the bigger apple boot-logo, is there another boot-arg for that?

No comment from me because I don't know.

how did you set it? NVRAM?

<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
	</dict>

Dear All , 

I have a small question , I did a try with Clover 3330 , but I do not know why but my system hung up on boot.

Progressive bar below Apple logo is very slow and after a while it stops.

Why? My system works perfectly and if I move back to 3326 it boots normally in less than 12 sec.

I was wondering what's new in release 3330 causing this freeze.

Regards

Roberto

Dear All , 

I have a small question , I did a try with Clover 3330 , but I do not know why but my system hung up on boot.

Progressive bar below Apple logo is very slow and after a while it stops.

Why? My system works perfectly and if I move back to 3326 it boots normally in less than 12 sec.

I was wondering what's new in release 3330 causing this freeze.

Regards

Roberto

To me, it looks like you forgot to add FakeSMC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.xx or in /Other. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific revision of Clover. I'm also using revision 3330 and have absolutely no issue.

• Like 1