Feedback on Nvidia 0.1a alpha driver release

178 posts in this topic

I have a working AGP environment now thanks to all the help from you!!! Don't see any difference for now but I assume it's important to see AGP listed as I know I couldn't get my card installed correctly under windows when the Via Chipset AGP to PCI was not installed. So hopefully this will help me with futher driver versions for the NVidia cards.

I have the exact same AGP Bridge as you do and I can't get it to work. Can you show me exactly what you have in info.plist?

I was able to load the driver after changing the Vendor ID to 0x014110DE for my MSI 6600 PCIE card. It is now recognized as a GForce 6600 PCI card under OS X System Profiler. QE and CoreImage are still unsupported and I don't see much of a speed diffirence in video or any other functions. But it is an important step in the right direction - keep up the great work.

Cheers ...

I have the exact same AGP Bridge as you do and I can't get it to work. Can you show me exactly what you have in info.plist?

I'm not copying everything, only the AGP key as it worked for me:

<key>AppleI386AGP</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleI386PCI</string>

<key>IOAGPFlags</key>

<integer>65537</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleI386AGP</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci1106,b188</string>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>80000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

That's the one. Clear your kext cache en reboot and see if it works.

Regards

Jordan

If you're seeing errors such as:

extension ".........IPGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

Can't determine dependencies for com.free.driver.NVIDIA

Couldn't alloc class "NVIDIA"

I fixed it by changing something in the extension (IOGraphicsFamily.kext in this example) Info.plist

Specifically, I changed the OSBundleRequired setting so it looked like the one below.

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

I then made sure to delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache from /System/Library before restarting.

I think the problem was that the system would try loading NVidia.kext before those other libraries, but don't ask me; I'm not an OSX expert by any means.

I fixed it by changing something in the extension (IOGraphicsFamily.kext in this example) Info.plist

Specifically, I changed the OSBundleRequired setting so it looked like the one below.

<string>Root</string>

I then made sure to delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache from /System/Library before restarting.

I think the problem was that the system would try loading NVidia.kext before those other libraries, but don't ask me; I'm not an OSX expert by any means.

Thanx, that did it for me ;)

Now I have sound, graphics , agp , wireless and ordnary ethernet up and running

Well, it's working well here with a 6200 (turbocache) using the PCIe slot on a MSI neo4 platinum. I just had to add the ID for my PCIe slot to the applei386pci.kext (the string for this board is: pci10de,5c), and add the string for my vidcard (0x016110de&0xfff8ffff) to the NVidia kext.

I honestly am noticing a slight improvement in the speed and responsiveness of the gui. It's very subtle, and may just be wishfull thinking, but it really seems to be there.

I KNOW this will be a dump question... (BTW, I was able to get the SysInfo to detect that I had a 6600GT with no problem, though nothing really changed outside of a name reckognition) but I noticed that there are several GeForce.kext's and ATIRadeon.kext's that say they are drivers... cant any of those Info.plist's be modified with a specific vendo ID to work?

:( thmacvidia website seems to be down, is that serious or just a server crash ? ;)

BTW, Kevin, the Nvidia drivers provided with osx86 are incomplete, NVDAResman.kext can't load due to missing functions. As for the ATI drivers, I haven't read much about it since I don't have any ATI GPU, but it seems that they work with a lot of problems with very few cards.

Detects my 7800GTX, but like everyone else QE and CI are still not enabled.

Chipset Model:	GeForce 7800 GTX
 Type:	VGA-Compatible Controller
 Bus:	PCI
 Vendor:	nVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0091
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Not Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

<string>Root</string>

Okay... now a couple of reboots later it stopped loading again. argh!! I think this is some sort of extension caching problem. Does anyone know how to fix this??

I want to try adding the agp bridge id to the applei386 kext to see if the card is recognized as agp but i can't figure out the freaking id, anyone knows the id of the nforce3 250 Agp controller ?

I am on same situation Myzar :)

K8N Neo2 Platinum NF3 250

Let me know if u got something.

tks

:(

Thanks for all the replies in that topic I finally got this:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5600SE

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: AGP

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0314

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I think that's as far as it gets on the nvidia cards right?

I still can't get the refresh to go to 85 :/ I can't understand the boot method for fixing VESA3 yet. Any other method for refresh rate?

thanks ;)

Chipset Model: GeForce 3 Ti 200 (128MB)

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: AGP

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0314

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I need 1280*1024*32@75 but i have only 1024*768*32@60 <_<

I'm confused...

I already have the NVidia.kext running, in system profiler my card is detected correctly; 6600GT pci-e

BUT

It still shows the bus: PCI

Now I understand I have to use the AppleI386 kext from the other topic, I know I have to edit the Info.plist inthere, np with all that.

I just dont know what Vendor / Device ID to add in there ....

I have a nForce4 SLI motherboard from Asus, so there is no PCI-AGP bridge in there.

If I understand correctly, I will need to edit it, but which device do I take if I have pci-e and no AGP ??

And if I finally get the right ID, will it show as 6600GT on AGP, even if its on PCI-express ??

help me out here, I'm kinda lost :blink:

I'm confused...

I already have the NVidia.kext running, in system profiler my card is detected correctly; 6600GT pci-e

BUT

It still shows the bus: PCI

Now I understand I have to use the AppleI386 kext from the other topic, I know I have to edit the Info.plist inthere, np with all that.

I just dont know what Vendor / Device ID to add in there ....

I have a nForce4 SLI motherboard from Asus, so there is no PCI-AGP bridge in there.

If I understand correctly, I will need to edit it, but which device do I take if I have pci-e and no AGP ??

And if I finally get the right ID, will it show as 6600GT on AGP, even if its on PCI-express ??

help me out here, I'm kinda lost :blink:

Even if you edit the AppleI386 kext it wont show AGP or PCI-E, because at the moment there is no PCI-E cards "supported" by Mac OS X, even the Intel GMA 900 is recognized as PCI.

If you read my post http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...indpost&p=18543 it says the kext can be loaded but no difference in the System Profiler.

If you want to add the Device ID of your PCI-E slot look at Windows for PCI2PCI bridge. My Motheboard has 4 PCI-E slots, one of them for the VideoCard

Here is a pic of Device Manager in Windows, I select View Devices by connection:

DevMgr.PNG

The Nvidia.kext loads fine for me (without modifications in the info.plists). May be because my mainboard is Intel, I think.

The refresh rate fix from Trac works ok too, and then I changed the boot to try to fix the problem of the black&white colors above 1024x768. I discovered that some GeForces doesnt support 32bit VESA modes above 1024x768, only 16 bit modes, but darwin boot cannot detect these modes because it only works with 16 bit modes like 5 / 5 / 5 bits (5 bits for each basic colors) and Geforce uses the 5 / 6 / 5 (6 bits for green) model instead. So, even patching the boot file to detect 5 / 6 / 5, the display doesnt show the colors correctly.

Now, instead of a black&white desktop, I have colors with a moiré (pattern effect). The display settings shows "1280x1024 thousands of colors", but its a almost unusable mode. As 1024x768@85 is now aceptable for me, I'll stay waiting for the people at macvidia for a driver version that supports more higher modes.