Feedback on Nvidia 0.1a alpha driver release

178 posts in this topic

just fyi...

i initially installed the NVidia.kext (and put in my device IDs etc), and rebooted. that gave me 'GeForce 6800' but still 'Bus: PCI'.

i then downloaded and installed the AppleI386PCI.kext (and put in the device ID of my AGP bridge, which I got from device manager in winxp) and rebooted. result: 'GeForce 6800, Bus: PCI'.

i had to REMOVE the NVidia kext and reboot (then I got 'VGA Adapter' or whatever with 'Bus: AGP'. finally, I put the NVidia.kext back in and got 'GeForce 6800, Bus: AGP'. woohoo! ;o)

so for anyone having problems getting their card recognised as AGP, i'd recommend:

1) remove the NVidia.kext (alpha driver) from System/Library/Extensions

2) download the AppleI386PCI.kext from this post

3) get the vendor and device IDs of your CPU to AGP bridge (i booted into windows to do this)

4) back in osx86, edit the Info.plist in the AppleI386PCI.kext so it matches your AGP bridge (the thread linked above has more info)

5) add the AppleI386PCI.kext to System/Library/Extensions, chown and chmod as needed and reboot

6) check System Profiler. hopefully your card will say 'Bus: AGP'

7) now edit Info.plist in the NVidia.kext (alpha driver) and put your vendor/device ID string for your card

8) copy it to System/Library/Extensions and chown/chmod again

9) reboot

10) check System Profiler. hopefully your card will now say something vaguely similar to mine:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6800

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: AGP

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0041

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

cheers!

PS checkout the other thread on this : here

Guys I tried adding my device id 8086, 3341 inside of the AppleI386PCI.kext Info.plist but I can't get the bloody thing to recognize the AGP bus controller. Anybody with a Dell 8600 Geforce 4 4200 GO get it to recoginize AGP - little help please ;-)

Edit: Just read the above that was posted while I was typing - thanks Munky!

just fyi...

i initially installed the NVidia.kext (and put in my device IDs etc), and rebooted. that gave me 'GeForce 6800' but still 'Bus: PCI'.

i then downloaded and installed the AppleI386PCI.kext (and put in the device ID of my AGP bridge, which I got from device manager in winxp) and rebooted. result: 'GeForce 6800, Bus: PCI'.

i had to REMOVE the NVidia kext and reboot (then I got 'VGA Adapter' or whatever with 'Bus: AGP'. finally, I put the NVidia.kext back in and got 'GeForce 6800, Bus: AGP'. woohoo! ;o)

did you do a

$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extension

or removed the Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext?

If you didn't the kextcache wasn't reloaded at boottime and the old one (without changed AppleI386PCI.kext-Info.plist) got used. with removing and re-adding NVidia.kext to that folder, the kextcache noticed, that the extension-folder has been changed and built itself new from the files in the folder (the thing you see directly after the bootloader)

hi guy... did you remove the NVidia.kext from System/Library/Extensions and reboot? thats what did it for me.... (read my post above)

parch - thats probably the shortcut way to do what my rebooting acheieved. but... meh, it worked for me :(

So now I have AGP recognized and can load the Nvidia.kext. I still get "No kext loaded" in System Profiler. Manually flushed the cache for the NVidia.kext alá kextcache -K /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext but no joy. Is this normal? I can deduct that the kext is loaded because if I screw with the device ids I get an error on login so it's at least trying to load it....

type kextstat - this will show all loaded kexts

kextunload NVidia.kext if its loaded

then try kextload -t NVidia.kext

that should show any problems loading it

Hey Munky it's loading now - you've played a blinder so far, thanks for the help.

So now I assume a good few people have the kext loaded. We've got some 2D support, graphics handled by the GPU and card mem. So in essence this should mean the following:

1. With NVidia.kext loading we are no longer using the VESA drivers? (3.0 in my case)

2. Less load on the CPU - seems to be less as I look at the Activity Mon.

3. All of the above being true then why can't we have native res' in awkward forms such as 1680x1050. Someone posted earlier that it wasn't possible right now. But if the card is rendering graphics correctly then why not?

3. All of the above being true then why can't we have native res' in awkward forms such as 1680x1050. Someone posted earlier that it wasn't possible right now. But if the card is rendering graphics correctly then why not?

(Im not 100% sure about what i say but) NVDAResman.kext is needed for the whole resolution thing. did you try to load NVDAResman? gives the same errors as always... i guess (guess!!) they (macvidia-community) compiled the xorg-driver for nvidia-cards (look at the kernel-outputs), but it isn't compatible to quartz.

(Im not 100% sure about what i say but) NVDAResman.kext is needed for the whole resolution thing. did you try to load NVDAResman? gives the same errors as always... i guess (guess!!) they (macvidia-community) compiled the xorg-driver for nvidia-cards (look at the kernel-outputs), but it isn't compatible to quartz.

I was under the impression that NVDAResman was merely a UI to allow users to change resolutions on the fly. I was thinking merely along the lines of changing my com.apple.bootlist and set the Graphics Mode to 1680x1050x32. Try seeing if that worked, but maybe Vesa on boot overrides this anyway. Just a thought. Going to try it when I get home from work.

I was under the impression that NVDAResman was merely a UI to allow users to change resolutions on the fly. I was thinking merely along the lines of changing my com.apple.bootlist and set the Graphics Mode to 1680x1050x32. Try seeing if that worked, but maybe Vesa on boot overrides this anyway. Just a thought. Going to try it when I get home from work.

nvdaresman is a kernel-extension. the nvidia.kext has nothing to do with the boot.plist. the "Graphics Mode"=... is VESA-stuff, the same as at the bootloader.

and vesa only supports the standard-modes (no widescreen). so if you want wide-screen, u must get NVDAResman working...

not 100% sure though :rolleyes:

This kext has my PCI 5700LE show up as the device it is, but I still can't use it with my onboard 915 GMA900 graphics. If I set it to primary, the onboard doesn't work, and if I do the inverse, the PCI card doesn't work. (works in any combination in Windows).

Is the NVidia.kext loaded correctly if you see this:

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: VGA: stalling for module

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: RTC: invalid device register map

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: VGA: family specific matching fails

Sep 17 12:18:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v5.8

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: VGA: family specific matching fails

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: VGA: family specific matching fails

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NVIDIA::probe(VGA)

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: Found NVidia Chip

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Found :64 MB Ram

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Current Selected Head :0

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Write UnLock Start

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Write UnLock Stop

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Using DFP on CRTC i

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Panel size is i x i

Sep 17 12:18:01 localhost kernel[0]: NV: Panel is LVDS

If I go into system profiler it still says "No kext loaded".

Is this okay?

Regards

Jordan

I did the following:

tiger-x86:/System/Library/Extensions root# kextload -t NVidia.kext

kextload: extension NVidia.kext appears to be valid

kextload: notice: extension NVidia.kext has debug properties set

kextload: NVidia.kext loaded successfully

Now startup System Profiler and I see this:

GeForce FX Go5700:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX Go5700

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 1

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0347

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

SO STILL IT SAYS: "No Kext Loaded"

If I do kextstat I see:

83 0 0xd9b4a000 0x5000 0x4000 com.free.driver.NVidia (1.0.1) <61 60 16 11>

Anyone a suggestion or idea on how to see kext loaded in system profiler?

Regards

Jordan

Thanks guys for all the feedback, really appreciated.

We all at MacVidia hope that the next alpha will be far better, please be patient ;)

Btw, i wonder why this thread was moved from the "Drivers" board to the "Technical Work". I see the drivers board full of threads like "no driver for this, no driver for that other", we are working on a driver and the thread is moved to a no popular board????

Makes no sense to me.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and time to test it.

Regards :: DiegoMax

2) download the AppleI386PCI.kext from this post

3) get the vendor and device IDs of your CPU to AGP bridge (i booted into windows to do this)

4) back in osx86, edit the Info.plist in the AppleI386PCI.kext so it matches your AGP bridge

Can you help me out a little bit here, cuz i'm lost?

Look, i went into Windows and checked my vendor ID and my device ID for the Procesor to AGP Bridge (or something like that):

Ven ID: 1039

Device ID: 0001

So when i check the Info.plist on the AppleI386PCI.kext, this is what i see:

<key>AppleI386AGP</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleI386PCI</string>

<key>IOAGPFlags</key>

<integer>65537</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleI386AGP</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,2532</string>

<string>pci8086,2561</string>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>80000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

Where should i insert my values?? And how, cuz this aint nothing like 0x........, it follows a different pattern.

Can sombody, plz help?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Can you help me out a little bit here, cuz i'm lost?

Look, i went into Windows and checked my vendor ID and my device ID for the Procesor to AGP Bridge (or something like that):

Ven ID: 1039

Device ID: 0001

So when i check the Info.plist on the AppleI386PCI.kext, this is what i see:

<key>AppleI386AGP</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleI386PCI</string>

<key>IOAGPFlags</key>

<integer>65537</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleI386AGP</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>80000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

Where should i insert my values?? And how, cuz this aint nothing like 0x........, it follows a different pattern.

Can sombody, plz help?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Boot in WinXP (if you have it) and Right click My Computer, then select the Hardware tab and then expand the System Devices node. In there you'll see a reference that says "Intel...Processor to AGP Controller - XXXX" (XXXX being the id). Note, you should see this, no idea what controller your board has.

Write it down, reboot in OsX and then add the string <string>pci8086,XXXX</string> to the kext. That should be it.

Put it right there

I wish I knew how they built this driver,I've been trying to Compile a working kext for ati cards for almost 2 months now

I had no luck... I have an nVidia nForce 3 board, so the ID for the AGP->PCI bridge was 00E2, the vendor ID 10DE (nVidia). I put in pci10de,00e2 and it didn't work... 8086 is the vendor ID for intel, no? So I would think changing it to nVidia makes sense... but no luck.

Put it right there

I wish I knew how they built this driver,I've been trying to Compile a working kext for ati cards for almost 2 months now

Try and mail the guys on macvidia and see if they can help you out. I doubt there's any anomosity between the different ATI and Nvidia teams. I'm also in the situation where I need an ATI driver for my desktop...

I had no luck... I have an nVidia nForce 3 board, so the ID for the AGP->PCI bridge was 00E2, the vendor ID 10DE (nVidia). I put in pci10de,00e2 and it didn't work... 8086 is the vendor ID for intel, no? So I would think changing it to nVidia makes sense... but no luck.

Try this: pci10DE,01C1

We all at MacVidia hope that the next alpha will be far better, please be patient :(

Btw, i wonder why this thread was moved from the "Drivers" board to the "Technical Work". I see the drivers board full of threads like "no driver for this, no driver for that other", we are working on a driver and the thread is moved to a no popular board????

Makes no sense to me.

Alot of little things dont make sense here... but hey we cant help them dictate it any better..

But on this topic.. This is great work.. I installed it and got the chipset etc.. but no CIor QE .. will wait and see what develops

We all at MacVidia hope that the next alpha will be far better, please be patient :(

Makes no sense to me.

DiegoMax, we owe you (and the rest of the crew at Macvidia) for the hard work you have done to make this work on so many different computers/graphiccards...

I, for myself, love to test new drivers, and tinker with it, and learn from it...so it is just fun for my side of this :D

What are the highlights for the upcoming release?

put pci10de,e2 that worked for me