What annoys you about the OS X desktop?

Swad

81 posts in this topic

The thing that annoys me the most is that, considering OS X's Unix security model, they still put a Hard Drive icon on the desktop that opens to the root level of the file system. As a Mac IT professional, let me just say that THE VAST MAJORITY OF USERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO KNOW THAT ANYTHING EXISTS OUTSIDE THEIR HOME FOLDER (and the Applications folder...).

I agree, as I am in school and we have always used macs. And within the first week of me using them I found the location where everybodies home folder was located :hysterical:

I LOVE the idea of making a new drive on the desktop, probably renameable in preferences, the default name being the final name of the app, and being able to drag things in and have them go to locations you choose. Default when you install the app will be

.app Applications

.jpg/.jpeg/.tiff/.png/.gif Pictures

.mov/.m4v/.mpg/.mp4 Movies

.m4a/.m4p/.mp3 Music

.doc/.cwk/.rtf Documents

Other Home

And you can add things and remove things in the preferences.

My name is "MoveMac" or "MacMove" or "AutoMove" or "AutoMoveMac" (that one kinda sucks actually) or "AutoMac"

My favorite is definately MoveMac though.

This is my favorite idea so far, I hope others like it too!

Well, the 'cut' option actually is right there in Mac OS it's just disabled for some reason. I recently discovered nice app called Mac Pilot which can enable this and many other hidden things in Mac OS. And there is other apps btw, just dig a little bit :hysterical:

bennyboy - Let me see if I get what you're saying. You want all the .dmg files to be loaded under the "Macintosh HD" icon and bump everything else down?

theres a way to do that. right click the desktop and click view info. organize them by name, and that puts all of my dmgs under my hard disks, and all subsequent files together.

I am rather annoyed with the way the Finder sorts folders and files at the same time, unlike Windows (sorry), which sorts folders alphabetically first before inndividual files.

Well, the 'cut' option actually is right there in Mac OS it's just disabled for some reason. I recently discovered nice app called Mac Pilot which can enable this and many other hidden things in Mac OS. And there is other apps btw, just dig a little bit :)

Hi Aivarz,

Yeah I know about Mac Pilot but just try to actually cut and paste with it and you will notice that it actually doesn't paste. All enabling 'cut' does is move the file you try to cut to the trash. Kind of pointless really.

I've looked hi and low and haven't found a good solution.

If you know of one please point out :-)

Thanks,

Jay.

I'd like to be able to group icons on the desktop together using a bunch of graphical containers.

There could be a variety of styles and settings that would effect the shape and behaviour of the containers. They could be a fixed size or adjust to the number of icons within it.

Also (after reading other suggestions) having rules that automatically add files into containers would be good too.

Hello!

I´m a new Mac user and really enjoiyng it, but there are some features i´d like to see.

One of them its the "always on top" feature.

I like, for exemple in Adium, to always see my contacts.

Can you improve this, or if already done, can you get me the link?

Thanks and you have a great site!!!

I have an ideia and i dont know what you guys will think about it. let me try to explain.

Copy/Move files ( draging with mouse )

normaly, you need to press mouse button, hold and navigate over the volumes/folders to move the files. The ideia is to do the same but without hold the click all the time. I mean, hold the click for 3 secs and the files will stay with the mouse pointer ( same way when you are dragging them ) and you can release the click and navigate to whatever you want and then you hold click for more 3 secs again to release the files.

This will give you a free navigate to copy/move your files without holding the left click. in the app prefferences you can set how many secs to wait to get the files, to copy or move etc..

well, just an ideia.. i know you can just cut/paste or copy/paste but with why not simplify it with the mouse?

hope someone can understand it ! :) sorry for my english !

bennyboy - Let me see if I get what you're saying. You want all the .dmg files to be loaded under the "Macintosh HD" icon and bump everything else down?

No, no, no. Download a dmg file and you'll see that the download icon disapears when its done downloading and underneath where the download file was is the dmg file. I want the dmg file to go where the download file was so there isnt a space there.

Hello!

I´m a new Mac user and really enjoiyng it, but there are some features i´d like to see.

Adium can be set to be allways on top

smart folders?

It would be like a folder but you would be able to see all the contents of it without navigating into it. I want to be able to visually group files together on the desktop while still being able to see them all (so not a folder). Then I could divide up the desktop into several workspaces.

Hello!

Theres a program called afloat that makes whatever window you want always on top.

It also has a few other fun things. it also uses simbl just like our Stoplight

No, no, no. Download a dmg file and you'll see that the download icon disapears when its done downloading and underneath where the download file was is the dmg file. I want the dmg file to go where the download file was so there isnt a space there.

If you use firefox, try the 'downloadthemall' extension. It only puts one icon on your Desktop.

I would like an app that adds "Macintosh" onto the desktop so i can have less icons on my desktop.

I download alot and many many files end up on my desktop. I wish i could drag them to the "Macintosh" hard disk and they would just go to their corresponding assigned' locations' depending on file type. All pictures go to pictures. If not on the macintosh hard disk logo then on a "Auto organise" logo or so..

It would be amazing to have documents organised this way...

That's really not that hard to do with AppleScript. As a matter a fact, I just trashed a script that I was working on that did this for all media files:

music --> $home/Music

photos --> $home/Pictures

video --> $home/Movies

I trashed it because I never used it the way it was ment to be used. I got the idea from th Mac OS X (Panther Edition) Bible. I could throw one together again if I get a minute, and post the code here.

I just kept finding myself manually moving my files where I wanted from the desktop by "spring loaded" folders, or dock shortcuts. Not sure if it was habbit or just easier.

I have two things annoying me in their absence Tiger OS X.

1. Why can't you tile windows on the os x desktop normally ?

meaning vertical tile, horizontal tile and so. there is only expose and it

decides for you how to place the windows and shrinks them.

2. in Safari, why can't you choose where to save the file when you download something on the spot and not by the permanent preferences settings ?

I would like an app that adds "Macintosh" onto the desktop so i can have less icons on my desktop.

I download alot and many many files end up on my desktop. I wish i could drag them to the "Macintosh" hard disk and they would just go to their corresponding assigned' locations' depending on file type. All pictures go to pictures. If not on the macintosh hard disk logo then on a "Auto organise" logo or so..

It would be amazing to have documents organised this way...

There is already a program that does this.

http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.html

I agree, the challenge should be a Grid Spacing tool that works everywhere (all finder folders and the desktop) where you can assign both Grid Spacing Horizontal & Grid Spacing Vertical to make it so that when you are using the Side Descriptions you do not have an extra half of an icon before the next one.

Screen real estate is valuable.

As well, I am sure that someone would like a new finder system like we have in iTunes where you can make the icons larger and the larger they become the more metadata is displayed.

So, you have icons set to 200px X 200px that happens to be a *.jpg, you can fit a title + 8 lines of text, so add the date that it was taken, the exposure settings, the camera type, the lens type, camera orientation, (other options from iPhoto that will fit).

If you had an Application, you would have Title, Developer, Application Type (Game, Productivity, Multimedia, etc.), Year Released, Spotlight Descriptions (if any)

If you had an audio file, you have Title, Artist, Disc, Disc Number - Track Number, Genre, (other info).

As one final addition, viewing an audio or video file through finder should see if there is Album Art avaliable for that file and if so replace the icon with the album art from iTunes.

We could call this "WAFFTF - We Are Finally Fixing The Finder"