What annoys you about the OS X desktop?

Swad

81 posts in this topic

Coming from WinXP, I have a few OSX annoyances that no one has mentioned:

- add a Taskbar like in XP, or have ability to have separate dock just for the taskbar. Having the windows minimized to the dock is a bit crowded if you already have lots of icons in the docks. An option to have a separate dock for just task items would be nice.

- I can't stand the unified Menu bar on top with the Finder. I'd like an option to break it out and have separate menus for each window, just like in XP. I've been using Macs for decades, and I still don't like the single menu bar system in Macs.

- Resizing from ALL edge borders and corners. Again, this is how XP works, but on the Mac, you can only resize a Window by grabbing the bottom right corner. This is extremely annoying. I should be able to resize a window from and edge and corner. However, I like the fact that you can move any windows by grabbing the edge in OSX. In Windows, you can only move a window by grabbing its title bar.

- I like how Thumnails view can be switch quickly in the View button in XP. In OSX, they should add Thumbnail option into the View button also instead of burying it in Folder options.

- Option for Widgets to stay on desktop and not disappear when Dashboard hides. There's a method to get this to work, but I remember there still something not right about it, l think it doesn't save and the widget disappears when you log off or something lame like that.

Most of my other annoyances in OSX have already been mentioned.

What me annoys is the view of folders. If you have it sorted on alphabetical order then files and folders are mixed. I like the Windows style where Folders are first on alphabetical order and then files below those folders, also in alphabetical order.

Is that possible?

OK, this is only tangentially related to the desktop, but Finder file open/save dialog boxes drive me absolutely *nuts*.

It seems that I catch stuff that I want to trash or move while I'm in the dialogs....which means that I have to open up finder, navigate to the location in parallel, and then take care of whatever business the dialog reminded me of.

WinXP dialogs can be criticized for a lot of things, but if you notice something you can take care of it within the dialog, right then and there.

Default Folder X seemed like it would do the trick, but it really heads in to a different direction. I just want to add the capability to move or trash files (even if it's in the context menu) directly in the file open/save dialogs.