Parallels adds Leopard, Mac Pro, and Vista support

Swad

18 posts in this topic

Still looking for a little cross-platform love? The new Update Release Candidate of Parallels might just suit your fancy, adding support for up to 3.5 gigs of RAM on the Mac Pro as well as Leopard (as in "works on" not "make a virtual machine of") and Vista compatibility.

Highlights from the changelog:

Support for new quad-processor Mac Pro towers outfitted with up to 3.5GB of RAM

This addition means that Parallels Desktop for Mac is now compatible with all Intel-powered Apple computers, which in addition to the Mac Pro includes the MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini!

Compatibility with developer build of Mac OS X 10.5, code-named “Leopard”

Experimental support for Windows Vista

An improved Parallels Tools package

Better video output improvement and acceleration

Added multi interface USB devices support (including Windows Mobile 2005 devices)

Added isochronous USB devices support (including WebCam devices)

Minor USB fixes

Keyboard support improvement: Eject CD key support, left/right Shift/Ctrl/Alt (Option)/Windows keys difference support

Added virtual disk cache policy option: Mac OS X performance optimized or guest OS performance optimized

Optimized disk cache policy for Suspend/Resume feature

Minor GUI fixes and improvements

Now, when will we be able to run Leopard as a virtual machine?

Hi folks,

I tested both parallels 1848 (V1 stable) to this 1884 (RC1) to this system running windows Native (dual boot)

here are the results. As you can see GFX performance has been improved at the expense of CPU power.

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester : EPDM

Processor : parallels

MHz : 3000 MHz

Number of CPUs : 1

Operating System : Win XP pro SP2

Graphics Card : parallels

Resolution : 1280x1024

Color Depth : 32-bits

Rendering (Single CPU): 281 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 263 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 175 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 125 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 0.66

and RC 1

CINEBENCH 9.5

Processor : parallels RC1

MHz : 3000

Number of CPUs : 1

Operating System : win xp pro SP2

Graphics Card : x1600pro

Rendering (Single CPU): 276 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 331 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 215 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 141 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 0.65

It does run as a single core non HT cpu on my system P4 630 3GHz HT

Here the native figures of running Cinebench 9.5 under dual boot.

CINEBENCH 9.5

Processor : P4 630

MHz : 3000 MHz

Number of CPUs : 2

Operating System : Win XP pro SP2

Graphics Card : X1600pro

Rendering (Single CPU): 250 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 292 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.17

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 341 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1348 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 3056 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 8.96

A +20% increase in software OpenGL is not that bad after a few months works. Even without this the guys at parallels inc. did a terific job. Well done guys.

Regards,

EPDM

This is a dumb question, but I know somebody else is bound to ask it eventually, so I'll get it over with:

Does this open the possibility of running Leopard via Parallels on a non-Apple PC? :)

Even though I'm sure it doesn't, it still seems to have tons of improvements to make it well worth the download.

I tried installing Ubuntu and that didn't work.

I also tried running the sheepshaver inside and also gave problems.

And since I'm a big fan of Acorn computers, I obviously tried both Red Squirel (RISC OS 4.01 freeware) and Virtual A5000 (RISC OS 3 commercial product) on it too.

Red Squirel doesn't work but Virtual A5000 does (kina) work in full screen. Though VA5000 does act strange on parallels. Eg. it messes up screen resolutions so that returning from fullscreen to windowed mode acts weird.

This behaviour only happened with former beta-version of Parallels and not on the release 1848. I haven't tried VA5000 in RC v1884 though.

I did notice that sometimes when quiting v1884 after a few seconds many windows pop-up as if mouse clicks and movement gets recorded and triggered after quiting parallels in slow motion. Very weird.

I'll try VA5000 later on.

Regards,

EPDM

Another dumb question: Has anyone tried OSX86 in it? :P

Hey Dax,

I'm running Parallels under hackint0sh (OSX86). Thus what you mean is running hackint0sh inside Parallels installed on a hackint0sh :whistle: I could give a try but what's the point?

I'm tryin to run Vista RC1 install in Parallels RC1 under hackint0sh and I'm getting this error:

File: /windows.system32/boot/winload.exe

Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

That's strange cause I'm running a Pentium D 805 (Dual Core) and I doubt it's not 64-bit compatible :-)

Any ideas ?

- edit : -

Ok it's because I'm tryin to run the 64-bit version of Vista under Parallels which has not support for 64-bit yet. {censored} :thumbsdown_anim: I need to get the 32 bit version !

If Parallels can run an unmodified image of 10.4 Tiger x86, then does that mean it emulates EFI? I'm just wondering because there was some speculation that VMware would do this, since they do strive to let people run ANY OS over any other OS (which means making it possible to run a legal, virtualized install of Tiger or Leopard.)

Just tried to install the Vista RC1 32 bit version in Parallels, no luck:

post-13786-1157997557_thumb.png

Any ideas?

- edit: -

From the Parallels forum, I learned that Vista RC1 does not run on Parallels RC1 but they say it should run on the final release. In fact, it is already running in Parallels labs, it's not yet released. Let's hope they do a RC2, which they should in my opinion as Vista RC1 has changed something in ACPI from the Beta2 release.

If Parallels can run an unmodified image of 10.4 Tiger x86, then does that mean it emulates EFI? I'm just wondering because there was some speculation that VMware would do this, since they do strive to let people run ANY OS over any other OS (which means making it possible to run a legal, virtualized install of Tiger or Leopard.)

Whoa! hold on to your horses.

VMware is going to support EFI emulation, but in order to run an unmodified Tiger DVD, it would also have to emulate a TPM module and be blessed with Apple's decryption key.

What VMware will allow us to do is to understand better EFI-OSX dynamics and perhaps boost the EFI emulation layer by XDev people. This will allow a big step towards using 10.4.5+ kernels.