Lion Installation via DVD without any BootCD

Regi Yassin

79 posts in this topic

I'm not trying to hikack this thread as I seems to have promise. But hands down the easiest way I have found to install OSX Lion directly without too much fuss is a hybrid method someone posted over at the tonymacx86 forum. The essence of it is that you create a Kakewalk USB install stick, which allows you to do a virgin install. This does require you actually buy Lion and have a working Mac to create the USB stick using the Kakewalk tool. If your board isn't "supported", no biggie, while you are installing Kakewalk, just select a board close you your own, it won't matter. After the USB stick is created, you need to download the actual DSDT (I used the tonymacx86 version) for your motherboard and BIOS version. Copy the downloaded, matching DSDT and substitute it for the DSDT.aml file to the /Extras folder on the Kakewalk USB stick. Then you have your own custom install stick that matches your board.

Using that USB stick you can do a Lion install on a virgin system no problem. Once installed, use the Kakewalk stick to reboot into the installed OSX Lion system. Then I used the tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] tool (love it!) to do the post-install configuration by installing the necessary drivers and boot loader. I always leave sound alone until I upgrade to 10.7.1, then install the sound drivers using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. This has worked on a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, UD4, UD5 and GA-P55-UD5 and UD4P boards. I used either Gigabyte Radeon 6850 or 6870 cards on each and the install was just too easy. I have USB 3.0 working on all the Z68 board except the UD5 board (has 2 controllers, one is the VLI), which locks up if you install the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 drivers. Each of these systems is stable and working well.

This method seems to be what everyone is looking for, but almost no one finds. So I though this might be a legitimate solution for people trying to get this to work. Kakewalk is really easy to use. I didn't come up with this. A guy going by An4rchyst did, but it sure saved my butt.

While this method did not work for me, the tonymacx86 method usually works well. That said, I've tested three boards, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, GA-Z68XP-UD4, and GA-Z68XP-UD5 with different methods attempting to get Lion installed on them. I got really tired of trying to install 10.6.8 first and then only to ruin the install and have to start the long slog over. No matter what I tried, I could never get Snow Leopard installed in order to do the xmove -> Lion install on these three boards. So I was stuck. Each time I tried to upgrade to 10.6.8, I got kernel panic and a ruined system. I was using fairly mainstream hardware that IS supported in Lion, but not fully in Snow Leopard.

So the method that has worked flawlessly for me, and I don't want to detract from this thread, was to do a direct Lion install using Kakewalk. But, I don't use the standard approach with that either. Since at the time Kakewalk did not support any of my boards, I simply created the Kakewalk USB install stick by selecting a board similar to mine and once it was created (thanks to An4rchyst's post on the tonymacx86 site), I subbed my actual board DSDT for the one Kakewalk installed on the /Extras folder on the Kakewalk USB stick. Then I could simply boot directly into the Lion installer, no Snow Leopard required. The install looked just like a standard OSX install and viola! I had Lion. It was really easy. It was also a HUGE timesaver!

I did the post-install configuration with the tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] tool, which is very nice. Just a note, IF you have 4 USB 3.0 ports on your motherboard DO NOT install the NEC/Renesas driver, it will lock up your system as the VLI controller chip is not supported.

You will still need some working mac to make the Kakewalk USB stick AND you'll have to purchase Lion and download it, but Kakewalk saved my butt. Otherwise I would still be stuck with a bunch of fancy hardware not running OSX Lion. As it is, these Sandy Bridge systems are fast and stable.

Regae, I'm not trying to detract form your efforts. Your method sounds really encouraging and I'll keep an eye on it. It just didn't work for me. And for those who are frustrated and need to solve their install problems, at least look at Kakewalk and don't forget to sub your actual DSDT for the one on the stick. The database of DSDTs at the Tonymacx86 site is a great resource and is fairly up to date and you should check to see if they have the DSDT for your individual motherboard. Don't forget to match the version also. I've had excellent luck with these three boards. Well, as long as I don't install the USB 3.0 driver on the UD5 board I did.

k so im having a ridiculously stupid problem...I'm doing the kakewalk install with lion and i have the z68xp-ud4 mb only one hdd plugged in bios is set up correctly but when I boot into the lion installer I cannot see my sata hdd to partition and install too.... any ideas?

k so im having a ridiculously stupid problem...I'm doing the kakewalk install with lion and i have the z68xp-ud4 mb only one hdd plugged in bios is set up correctly but when I boot into the lion installer I cannot see my sata hdd to partition and install too.... any ideas?

A few questions:

1] Did you use a custom DSDT.aml file for the GA-Z68XP-UD4? When made my Kakewalk stick, I downloaded the DSDT for my exact bios version for that board from the tonymacx86 database and substituted it for the one in the Extras folder on the Kakewalk USB stick after the USB installer stick was created.

2] Did you make ABSOLUTELY sure all of the SATA controllers are set to AHCI ... NOT IDE. If they aren't (and I think there are three that have to be set!, not just one), the you definitely will not be able to see the drive. That is what this sounds like.

3] Does the drive show up in the BIOS? If not, it may not be good. It happens.

4] I had a 6GB/sec drive so plugged it into the SATA2 ports. Is yours a recent drive? Maybe try plugging it into one of the 3Gb/sec SATA ports on the motherboard?

Hope that helps some. This process was very smooth for me and I've done several times on different boards with no problem. But you have to get those BIOS settings correct!

For the record, the ones I change are all SATA modes must be changed from IDE to AHCI. I disable extreme drive performance also. Then I put the HPET mode to 64 bit. Those are the essentials.

did you have to pre partition any of your hdd's first?

Yes. Although I'm not sure you should have to. I usually use PartedMagic (linux live CD with GParted on it) and just write a new partition table to the drive, create a partition and format it with anything. Takes a second or two only.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

It sounds like you did everything correct to me. Did the drive show up in the BIOS? Can to try another drive of some sort just to see if another one works?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....Interesting .... i was trying making manually usb stick or installer on harddrive, but all failed. i try with tonymacX86 methods, it's also failed... now i want to try this method... thanks for sharing, i will report to you later after i succeed install using your boot installer .

ps: somehow , something strange is happened. i can't follow your instruction on your video, i have to mount my Lion DMG put my dmg in targetted root also.... if i didn't mount it the installer is always failed. i don't know why these symptoms happened, but thank God now your installer working and i still waiting for it to finish. cheers

Hmm....Interesting .... i was trying making manually usb stick or installer on harddrive, but all failed. i try with tonymacX86 methods, it's also failed... now i want to try this method... thanks for sharing, i will report to you later after i succeed install using your boot installer .

ps: somehow , something strange is happened. i can't follow your instruction on your video, i have to mount my Lion DMG put my dmg in targetted root also.... if i didn't mount it the installer is always failed. i don't know why these symptoms happened, but thank God now your installer working and i still waiting for it to finish. cheers

okay i already tried it, and it's working for me. many thanks :)

<br />For me, dvd boot, run installer, but... Lion cannot be installed in this computer.<br /><br />Very slow booting.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Me too, run installer afer select language say Lion cannot be installed in this computer..... Why????What is the problem.....???!!!

Hi all, pardon me. but i have try many way to install Lion on My MSI FX400 and still failed. I have try a Macbob Guide Installation, Tony Mac, XPC but always failed.

I stuck on dsmos has arrived on Macbob installations guide even I add some bootflag like PCIRootUID, GraphicsEnabler, npci, etc. still not work,

on tonymac installations guide no hope always restart,

and with XPC hang at MBRStart.

have any one some idea to install Lion on MSI FX400? sad.gif

My Specification's :

Proc : Core i5 480M 2,66 GHz with Turbo Drive Engine

VGA : Intel HD and Nvidia Geforce GT 325M 1 GB

RAM : 4GB DDR3

HDD : 500GB

i use Install_ESD.dmg for installations method

so many thanks if someone can help me smile.gif

• 1 month later...

just a tip here, whatever you do make sure you don't use the partition that u have osx running on when you run the dvd maker. even though i watched the video i had to wait for an hour to dl lion so an hour later i was just going next, next, next, next, your system is hosed. {censored}. thank god for time machine, but now i gotta redo rEFIt and opensuse 12. sigh.

• Like 1

Don't working for me. I'm testing on a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) and an error occours when select the language.

The message is something like this:

"Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer"

"This version of Mac OS X 10.7 can't be installed on this computer.

If you want restore your system using a Time Machine backup, press "Restore Using backup"

Help me please.

**EDIT**

Using HackBoot the installation started. Waiting for the result.

@Regae, Thanks for the DVD installer. I managed to burn the ISO successfully. Unfortunately, I got stuck at PCI begins configuration during installation. I could not find solution to overcome the problem.

Any idea or suggestion to help me overcome PCI begins configuration hurdle?

Kernel Panic while booting DVD Lion 10.7.2 Apple Store (method #2 worked fine for iso creation) on

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPLugin (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)

or more specific driver ApplePolicyControl (3.0.16)

Optiplex 330 with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400

sebus

edit:

Redoing the iso (removing offending ApplePolicyControl.kext) does NOT KP, but "Still waiting for root device"

regae, would you care to supply the script only for making the iso?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just a tip here, whatever you do make sure you don't use the partition that u have osx running on when you run the dvd maker. even though i watched the video i had to wait for an hour to dl lion so an hour later i was just going next, next, next, next, your system is hosed. {censored}. thank god for time machine, but now i gotta redo rEFIt and opensuse 12. sigh.

Hey, this is my first post here, I promiss to introduce myself in the other post ASAP, but I just need my computer running first, I did exactly the same thing as Jason, and now my MBP won't boot. Just the apple logo and that spinning {censored}... :/ Command-R doesn't even work. Anyone care to share how I can fix it. :/

My other problem, once Lion was running on my Hackintosh, I installed that ######## thingy, and after reboot, my computer can boot neither Lion nor Win7 :/ Nothing boots up. Think I killed the bootloader, anyone knows how to fix this?

Thx in advance :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mac-OS-X-Lion-Disc.jpg

How to use ?

Method #1 : if you download the OS X Lion as an Application (.app)

1. Install Install OS X Lion.app to Macintosh HD, and reboot normally to your Hackintosh

2. Make a new Partition, size : minimum 4.7GB

3. Download Mac OS X Lion Installer DVD Maker.pkg and install to new Partition,

4. Burn InstallerDVDLion-regae.iso in your Desktop to a Blank DVD5

Method #2 : if you download the OS X Lion as an Image (.dmg)

1. Make a directory in your root HD, name : Mac OS X Install DATA, and put InstallESD.dmg in this folder, so it should be located : "/Mac OS X Install DATA/InstallESD.dmg"

How to Install Lion with this DVD Installer

1. Set the first boot to DVD Drive in your BIOS.

2. Chameleon will appear, and select (boot) to Mac OS X Lion (regae)

3. Install Lion to your HD, thats it,

Advantage :

- You Don't Need any bootcd to install Lion

- You Don't Need any existing snow leopard or OS X (only for the first time to make this DVD)

Shortage :

- This is only for Intel Generic Desktop or Laptop not for AMD

FAQ

Q: What is this?

A: This is a package that will make an .iso file which contains an installer for Mac OS X Lion with Chameleon Bootloader inside.

Q: Is this required a BootCD to install?

A: No, the iso already contains Chameleon Bootloader.

Q: Can burned to a DVD5 or (Single Layer 4.7GB)?

A: Yes, the .iso file only 4.4 - 4.5 GB.

Q: Can be used for any Computer?

A: No, this is only for Intel Generic Desktop or Laptop.

Q: This will damage the existing Hackintosh?

A: No, absolutely NO!

Requirements :

- Mac OS X Lion Retail

- An Existing Snow Leopard

- A Blank DVD5 (4.7GB)

I have made a VIDEO Tutorial : How to use this Installer

Download the Installer

REGAE HELLO!! A version that we are with "Lion Blangsak DVD"?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ragae,

thanks for the nice application and tutorial. I was straight forward to follow and create the Lion Disc. I did it on my pc where I have 2 partitions one with lIon and one blank to reinstall lion and use it as test.

Well, when I have tried to install lion using the disk I will reboot with the disk insdide, it takes ages to boot but when you want to proceed to the installation it says:

"Lion cannot be installed in this computer" and it promts for doing a restore from time manchine. Also the second option is not working and you can only restart the computer.

Do you know what am I getting wrong?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Mac-OS-X-Lion-Disc.jpg

How to use ?

Method #1 : if you download the OS X Lion as an Application (.app)

1. Install Install OS X Lion.app to Macintosh HD, and reboot normally to your Hackintosh

Method #2 : if you download the OS X Lion as an Image (.dmg)

1. Make a directory in your root HD, name : Mac OS X Install DATA, and put InstallESD.dmg in this folder, so it should be located : "/Mac OS X Install DATA/InstallESD.dmg"

How to Install Lion with this DVD Installer

1. Set the first boot to DVD Drive in your BIOS.

2. Chameleon will appear, and select (boot) to Mac OS X Lion (regae)

3. Install Lion to your HD, thats it,

Advantage :

- You Don't Need any bootcd to install Lion

- You Don't Need any existing snow leopard or OS X (only for the first time to make this DVD)

Shortage :

- This is only for Intel Generic Desktop or Laptop not for AMD

FAQ

Q: What is this?

A: This is a package that will make an .iso file which contains an installer for Mac OS X Lion with Chameleon Bootloader inside.

Q: Is this required a BootCD to install?

A: No, the iso already contains Chameleon Bootloader.

Q: Can burned to a DVD5 or (Single Layer 4.7GB)?

A: Yes, the .iso file only 4.4 - 4.5 GB.

Q: Can be used for any Computer?

A: No, this is only for Intel Generic Desktop or Laptop.

Q: This will damage the existing Hackintosh?

A: No, absolutely NO!

Requirements :

- Mac OS X Lion Retail

- An Existing Snow Leopard

- A Blank DVD5 (4.7GB)

I have made a VIDEO Tutorial : How to use this Installer

Download the Installer

Can you redo this application to work with Mountain Lion?

• 4 weeks later...