Lion Installation via DVD without any BootCD

Regi Yassin

79 posts in this topic

im currently uploading mac os x lion dvd with restored basesystem.dmg and packages, and bootcd for lion, but i will not post here, its forbidden, isnt it?

I would say most definitely yes, it is forbidden according to the form rules:

No posting of direct or indirect links to warez or pirated pieces of software, this includes cracks, serials and torrents.

Hi, thank's reaga, good job for noob ^^, i had test it but i have a little probleme, bootloader isn't here, i can start with the created LionDVD (boot dvd first and chose the installed lion with boolader), but lionHDD don't boot alone (biosEFI is correcly boot HDD first). :/ No bootloader résent on HDD ? How i can install it ?

no sound, no lan but for that i think i was ok after.

Zotac Z68 express wifi (ITX)

Realtek ALC892

Gigabite 8111E

AzureWave AR5B95 (wifi)

8GB (2X4)

SSD M4 128Gb

6850 1Gb (work fine nativly :blink: )

Sorry for bad english i'm french/

Thank's :wacko:

Thanks REGAE. Its work. But the installer stops at the welcome screen for me because the ps2 mouse and ps2 keybord are not working or detected. I am using Asus P5GC MX/1333 Mobo with Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 Ghz processor with 4GB RAM. Please help me soon. Thanks again.

thanks for this, its working perfect :).

also, I used this dvd as bootcd to boot Lion on my Dell XPS L502X lappy. and HD3000 graphics had too less display corruption compared to latest chimera 1.5.4 version! Is this bootloader better than chimera?

i dont know, i think yes, better than cimera

attention: if someone wants to install lion without any existing OS X, you can use my Install DVD Lion iso, just search, google is the best choice with this keywords "BLANGSAK Installer DVD Lion" or visit my web, i cant post any direct links in here, it breaks the rules.

Gave it a shot trying a virgin install on a GA-Z68XP-UD3P motherboard with 8Gb RAM, single HD plugged into the 6Gb/sec SATA connection, with a Gigabyte Radeon 6850 card. I tried this setup because it worked flawlessly with the Kakewalk USB install stick, which I then setup using the Tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] post-installation tool resulting in a very stable system.

Everything booted, albeit very slowly (took almost 5 minutes to boot from the DVD) and then when I selected "English" as my language the program buzzed and whirred for a little bit and then told me OSX Lion could not be installed on this computer and gave me no option to continue.

I just thought I'd test this for you. I already have a working install. Any thoughts about why this happened?

One more thing, can this be installed on a USB stick as a bootable installation stick? In theory it would work, I just wondered if you had tried it.

this isnt working at all for me. the dvd burned fine and after 10 minutes of booting i get to the install screen but have no keyboard or mouse operable. i even did the usbbusfix and no go here. been up all night trying this and 3 other guides to installing lion. im giving up and im back to windows. too many issues.

good guide for your setup OP but it wont work for everyone.

i also get the: You can not install mac os x on this computer

Does anybody know why that message is coming?

I now that i had that message before when i tried to update from a hacked system like iatkos, but now i will try and erase the disc and start the installer again and se if it gets any better.Ill report back if i get any better.

Thanks for the long waited bootable dvd. This rocks even if it not working on this computer it is a really nice method.

While this method did not work for me, the tonymacx86 method usually works well. That said, I've tested three boards, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, GA-Z68XP-UD4, and GA-Z68XP-UD5 with different methods attempting to get Lion installed on them. I got really tired of trying to install 10.6.8 first and then only to ruin the install and have to start the long slog over. No matter what I tried, I could never get Snow Leopard installed in order to do the xmove -> Lion install on these three boards. So I was stuck. Each time I tried to upgrade to 10.6.8, I got kernel panic and a ruined system. I was using fairly mainstream hardware that IS supported in Lion, but not fully in Snow Leopard.

So the method that has worked flawlessly for me, and I don't want to detract from this thread, was to do a direct Lion install using Kakewalk. But, I don't use the standard approach with that either. Since at the time Kakewalk did not support any of my boards, I simply created the Kakewalk USB install stick by selecting a board similar to mine and once it was created (thanks to An4rchyst's post on the tonymacx86 site), I subbed my actual board DSDT for the one Kakewalk installed on the /Extras folder on the Kakewalk USB stick. Then I could simply boot directly into the Lion installer, no Snow Leopard required. The install looked just like a standard OSX install and viola! I had Lion. It was really easy. It was also a HUGE timesaver!

I did the post-install configuration with the tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] tool, which is very nice. Just a note, IF you have 4 USB 3.0 ports on your motherboard DO NOT install the NEC/Renesas driver, it will lock up your system as the VLI controller chip is not supported.

You will still need some working mac to make the Kakewalk USB stick AND you'll have to purchase Lion and download it, but Kakewalk saved my butt. Otherwise I would still be stuck with a bunch of fancy hardware not running OSX Lion. As it is, these Sandy Bridge systems are fast and stable.

Regae, I'm not trying to detract form your efforts. Your method sounds really encouraging and I'll keep an eye on it. It just didn't work for me. And for those who are frustrated and need to solve their install problems, at least look at Kakewalk and don't forget to sub your actual DSDT for the one on the stick. The database of DSDTs at the Tonymacx86 site is a great resource and is fairly up to date and you should check to see if they have the DSDT for your individual motherboard. Don't forget to match the version also. I've had excellent luck with these three boards. Well, as long as I don't install the USB 3.0 driver on the UD5 board I did.

METHOD 2 WORKS!!! Of all the fresh lion dvd install method, I simply dropped out. This is by far the easiest and completed instruction I followed.

On my fully working system:

#2 created an ISO file which I burned onto a std 4.7GB DVD using Disk Utility. Then, I also put it onto a 8GB USB drive, later dropped several versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Perian, VLC player, and all the ones I think I needed.

On a fresh build:

Popped into optical drive, insert USB and select USB drive for install. It was FAST! Disk Utility found my 1.5TB drive, and partitioned 4 sections: OSX, WIN7, Backup. Install without a glitch and I am on desktop. Upon restart, of course you will have to boot from optical drive if you don't install any version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

After countless install over the past 3 weeks, I added 8GB partition onto 1.5TB drive and Restore the Regae ISO onto this local partition. I no longer needed the USB. But still boot from dvd.

Post Installation and I kept reinstalling when I messed up trying to install ALC892 audio on BIOSTAR TP67B+ board. I wish I can boot it directly off of the internal 8GB partition or USB image without the use of optical drive boot.

Thanks a ton.

does anyone knows how to do this manually?

I would like to know the tech* behind this most nicely done installer.

It seems to work like x Move by Tony(something?? i will Google it later.)

X Move & this installer knows where Lion.app store it's install files.

Can someone with the tech know-how do a detail install of lion.app for us, with what the installer is doing and where it's putting the files, any modification been done, etc...

Thank you.

I agree that would be nice to know how to make it manually, thx!