[HowTo] Building an overclocked Core2Duo box for OSx86.

bofors

278 posts in this topic

A new chipset trully proved, GA-945p-s3 working perfectly here, now to overcock it!

Aberracus

BTW BOFORS buy right now the asus eaxt x100xt from new egg the model they have now s the working one, i just brought one.

and, if you dont plan to overclock heavily (looks like not for your cooling config) do yourself a favor and get the Gigabyte ga-945p-s3 is 140 dollars less.

Hi All, i bought an Intel D946GZ with GMA 3000 (Core 2 Duo capable), i just want to inform you that this motherboard doesnt work!! im not sure what the problem is but it gets stucked at booting the jas 10.4.6 DVD, it just displays the apple logo but it doesnt even show the work in progress circle...

i boot with -s and it freezes at:

Apple16x50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device = UAR1

Apple16x50UARTsync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MAX BAUD=115200

i tried to disable the serial port but in the bios just the parallel port option appears...

has anyone tried this mobo?

Just wanted to post and give a big thanks to the whole OSX community. Just got my Intel Core Duo set up and I have to say, WOW! Getting 120+ scores with Xbench and everything works. Right now I am running XP on the same machine and itching to switch back :(

Just for kicks the system info is:

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 MB

Intel Core Duo 6300 running stock

2 gig Mushkin ram

250 Gig Seagate SATA

Intel Graphics (QE/CI both working out of the box)

LAN working with Realtek RTL8139 add on board

Sound working with Azalia mod

Reboot problem solved with kernal edit

Sleep even works (at least for the monitor which is all I ever turn off)

Running 10.4.7 now with JaS's update.

It really feels faster than XP on this same box. Wish I could shell out the money for a Mac Pro :)

Thanks again JaS and all the rest of you.

Hi, check the sig :thumbsdown_anim:

All that works on JaS 10.4.7 except Audigy 4 :thumbsdown_anim:

But for OS X I use onboard sound (realtek 882), and works perfectly, but only 2 chanells are available.

Cool man. I'm waiting for my Asus P5W DH next week and I hope to have great news to share as well :offtopic:

In the meantime, since I'm still shopping around for the 'ideal' video card... do you have DVI out working ok on your Powercolor X1600XT? I need to output DVI at 1920x1200.

/juuni

Just wanted to post and give a big thanks to the whole OSX community. Just got my Intel Core Duo set up and I have to say, WOW! Getting 120+ scores with Xbench and everything works. Right now I am running XP on the same machine and itching to switch back :D

Just for kicks the system info is:

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 MB

Intel Core Duo 6300 running stock

2 gig Mushkin ram

250 Gig Seagate SATA

Intel Graphics (QE/CI both working out of the box)

LAN working with Realtek RTL8139 add on board

Sound working with Azalia mod

Reboot problem solved with kernal edit

Sleep even works (at least for the monitor which is all I ever turn off)

Running 10.4.7 now with JaS's update.

It really feels faster than XP on this same box. Wish I could shell out the money for a Mac Pro :)

Thanks again JaS and all the rest of you.

How much was this system?

So, in essence, which is the list of 99.9% compatible hardware to build a C2D system? Are we still waiting for something else before we can say "this is it'? Something like an Apple computer that fits more with the hardware that's available to us? Or we have the OK with certain hardware? Bofors? I'm waiting on you to follow your steps bro...

Pill%20Thinker.jpg

So, in essence, which is the list of 99.9% compatible hardware to build a C2D system?

While the specific audio and Ethernet chips always need to be considered with respect to OSx86 drivers, any of the 945 or 975 chipset boards should be fine.

Are we still waiting for something else before we can say "this is it'?

No, not really.

Something like an Apple computer that fits more with the hardware that's available to us?

If Apple starts using a ICH8 southbridge, which will happen sooner or later, but perhaps not until next year, then the full line of 965 chipsset boards should then be more generally accepted as compatible with OSx86.

Bofors? I'm waiting on you to follow your steps bro...

I got hung up on some case and cooling issues with this project a few days ago. I have them resolved now. Basically, it comes down to cooling the northbridge and voltage regulator using a "perpendicular" heatsink like the ThermalTake Big Typhoon or Thermalright SI-128. With a powerful (but loud) Delta fan, these heat sinks cool the CPU as good or better than the "tower" coolers. I intend to post about this in more detail soon.

The other thing that is holding me back is the Mac Pro. While I am on the verge of "needing" more computer horsepower in my work, I might want four cores instead of two. I am also not thrilled about cost and features of the Asus EAX x1600XT, nor the fact that OSx86 still does not support dual displays with it yet. On the otherhand, rumors that Intel intends to drop FB-DIMMs next year make me even more hesistant to buy it.

couple thoughts:

the Patriot RAM is great stuff

While I haven't removed my heat spreaders, there are many who feel that they do nothing for cooling and in some cases ADD heat

agreed the Asus video card is overpriced. I had excellent results with Sapphire X1600Pro OC edition (no dvi) and my current card: ATI X1800XT 512 MB $229.00

I originally went with a Freezer Pro based on reviews. I sent it right back. The plastic clips were worse than the intel clips and I didn't feel at all safe with it hanging from my CPU. Temp comparisons aside, I went with the Big Typhoon for the screw mounting

I'm really starting to regret getting a 965 board. Not so much for OSX compatibility but for general compatibility. Linux has {censored} poor support for it. Windows seems to work.

My setup is a GA-965p-ds3 Gigabyte board with an E6300 chip and Patriot ram (the good yet inexpensive stuff).

After many days of :boxing::wallbash: and plenty of :D:blink: I think I need a :stretcher: and a :sorcerer: to do what I want to do with this system.

I can only hope with this being an early chipset that support picks up and I can run the OS's I want. Those being Linux with Xen 3.0 and windows (and for kicks try out OSX) as virtual machines.

-Dustin

PS. This is my one tip, SAVE FOR A 975 until further notice. :angry:

I'm really starting to regret getting a 965 board...

I am actually seriously considering a P965 now. This is because I am thinking about making something like a server where I have no need for DVD burner or even a graphics card (and I may want to build several cheaper boxes instead of a one expensive computer).

However, I am wondering about the "stability" issue, I am looking for 24 / 7, high reliability, not maximum overclock. People say the Intel boards are more stable than others and at XtremeSystems there are reports of DS3 instability issues. What is your experience with DS3 stability?

The other question I have is about using the DS3's fan header to get some control via BIOS. I am wondering how many amps. the DS3 fan headers are rated for, but cannot find that information in the manual.

@ Bofor if you dont need maximum overclock ... why go to a non compatible mobo? the 945 and 945g are proved to work chipsets, my machines is 24/7 working (when im not in its do some Crunch numbering and downloading, its absolutely stable and i can overclock to 2.6ghz my 2.13 ghz core duo, that means a save of 320 dollars in CPU. If you want to have a server a non intel SATA system i think is a non go.

Current temps (working with temperature monitor under osx) are 36 and 35 celcius.

I dont understand why going to 965 at all, the only excuse for it is High overclocking.

975 is another good mobo but it is expensive.

Intel Brand mobos cant overclock except for the 975 series.

in my 945 i control temp by temp monitor a nd adjust fans by my Zalman ZM-MFC1

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.a...=1&code=017

Just for your consideration.

I am at the moment considering a major upgrade to a Core2Duo and D975XBX board

Looking at intels site on the motherboard http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx/bx_available.htm there are two versions of this board one contains TPM which I have noticed is talked about in several places in these forums but only have 4SATA ports as aposed to 8 on the non TPM boards as mentioned several times these boards also support EFI so this is my main choice but compatability with Apples EFI could still be an issue

I am not to sure exactly how the TPM will behave with OSx or if I should choose the non TPM board but either way are all the other components that need to be replace (see my sig) the only thing I see as being able to be kept is the hard drives / DVD writer I think the power supply also needs to be changed ( not sure on that one )

If anyone here who has this board do you have TPM or non TPM and what difference does this make to 10.4.x and more importantly 10.5.x

Also am I better of purchasing the conroe chip or the allendale which is considerably cheaper or will 10.5.x require the conroe chip in its cpu instructions

For now I will be hunting around for the best prices on

Motherboard -D975XBX

CPU -E6600 / E6400

Memory -2x 1GB DDR 667

Graphics Card -X1600

Power Supply -not sure yet

Being based in NZ prices may be a little higher than what others are paying in US / UK it may be just cheaper for me to bite the bullet and buy Apple :shock::):help::wallbash:

EDIT: Found a 20 to 24 pin converted this may mean Power supply is compatable

Prices so far

D975XBX $450

E6400 $393

E6600 $572 -see my point earlier about using a E6400

2x1GB@667 $568

x1600PRO/TD512 $224

20 pin to 24 pin lead $18

Total cost to date $1653 with E6400

$1832 with E6600

I may try E-Mailing the supplier here and see if I can get a Package deal to get the price down

I dont understand why going to 965 at all, the only excuse for it is High overclocking.

Actually, there is another reason that I am may be considering P965 boards, the ICH8 supports 6 SATA channels over the ICH7's 4. Because my application's speed is limited by disk speed at times (with a dual Raptor RAID 0 pair), I may be building large RAID sets instead of overclocking for performance.

However, this issue is hardly clear and it seems that most of the problem could be fixed by programming for more efficent disk usage. So, until my needs are explicit, I am holding off any purchases. I am not ruling out 945 boards either, my decision will be based on stabiliy and performance per dollar.

in my 945 i control temp by temp monitor a nd adjust fans by my Zalman ZM-MFC1

I want to use at least one loud Delta fan in my build (for the CPU cooler). I want automatic control of the fan so it is only running at full speed when necessary. Most boards BIOS's are supposed to take of this which is what I want to do here (I just need to verify that whatever motherboard I choose provides enough amperage, I know where to find this specification on Inte's boards, but not Gigabyte's). Alternatively, Silverstone makes an automatic fan controller with temperature probes:

13-999-352-01.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813999352