[GUIDE] Installing Lion DP4 + GM Without USB(Video)

Still Win Fan

169 posts in this topic

Besides I have an i7 920 on a P6TSE but in "About This Mac" I see an Intel Xeon processor (and a writing that says Macbook Air). I attached a screenshot... How can I fix this to see something like your "About this mac"?

Put this in your SMBIOS.plist and you're good to go:

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>

<key>SMserial</key>
<string>H09300AS4PC</string>

Just check that you don't have those entries twice in your SMBIOS.plist and replace existing ones.

If your audio and network isn't working yet, get those Kexts from Still Win Fan and install them one after another with Kext Utility (just drag on drop onto Kext Utility icon).

Greetz,

e1ement

PS: Those lines above are only for Nehalem Core i7 1366 and MacPro4,1.

Hi , thanks for an Excellent guide !!! I was able to install Lion GM on a separate slow IDE drive on my G41M-ES2L Board , everything works , sound and wireless , I did a clean installation !! I need to work and check on " sleep" , I have not tried it yet , I will install it on my primary SATA drive today , everything is super fast . I love my Lion !! -_-

I will post a guide with all files and steps if any body is interested on doing a clean install into another drive , slave or USB drive . It works thanks for this guide ..........

here are my proof pictures

post-377047-1309962804_thumb.png

post-377047-1309962872_thumb.png

post-377047-1309962889_thumb.png

post-377047-1309962906_thumb.png

Thanks. I used your guide or at least some of it to make a GM USB Installer. Apple was sneaky and made the Base System invisible.

It worked fine. No probs.

Well even though Lion is supposed to run on Xeons, I can't install this. The install starts but I guess at some point there is a system check of some kind and I get the error message "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer".

It's the machine in my signature_maybe I need a modified OSInstall?

Well even though Lion is supposed to run on Xeons, I can't install this. The install starts but I guess at some point there is a system check of some kind and I get the error message "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer".

It's the machine in my signature_maybe I need a modified OSInstall?

look it

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=812

Thank you, that worked well. Now my ethernet isn't even detected so there's more work to do...

Alright, got my ethernet working by using the 10.6 IONetworkingFamilykext. The only issue I am having now is random Finder crashes so I have to keep relaunching it.

I have successfully loaded Lion Gold Master on my Dell Latitude E6400.

I created a Lion USB installer. The installer is a 8GB USB GUID partition that automatically gets named as Mac OS X Base system when it is restored from Base System.dmg on Lion Gold Master. Then I , copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform..., IOPCI... in /S/L/E on the installer drive. I used Kext Wizard which also repair /S/L/E permissions on the installer.

Kext Wizard that allows you to load kexts to other drives and repair other drives (from the one you are booted into) is a great help.

As I was loading Lion on an MBR partition I replaced:

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

--on the installer drive with modified files (obtained by googling)

Then I booted into the USB installer using Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083.pkg loaded on my existing SL drive, with -v -f flags. Then O followed regular install process. Once install is through I booted into existing SL and copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform..., IOPCI... in /S/L/E on the new Lion Drive with Kext Wizard and repaired /S/L/E permissions. I also copied com.apple.Boot.plist from my old SL into /E of the new Lion Drive and repaired permissions on /E as well. This last step is essential to avoid kernel panic or keyboard freeze at login time after loading Chameleon on the new Lion Drive.

After initial boot up, for whatever system that didnt work, I used my old SL kexts, such as IONetworkingFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

To enable native ntfs, I used iBlacky method of copying mount_ntfs to mount_ntfs.org and saving the follwing script to mount_ntfs:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@“

For this too I had to load the kext from SL.

I now have a fully working Lion Gold Master. As it doesnt have nvidia, I cannot enjoy all graphic applications, but it does better than my SL, as I able to open jpegs with Preview.app.

I can't guarantee that this procedure will work for you I have only tested it on my Asus P6T SE with Intel i7 920.

Im not responsible for any damage this might causes to your pc.

Video Tut:

This method works with Lion GM.

Tested on Asus p6t SE.

2a4wg3s.png

Note: Installing Lion Gold Master:

Before you can proceed to step 1 you first have to right click on the install file and select show package contents.

then go to Contents->SharedSupport and mount InstallECD.dmg Then you can proceed with the steps below.

2njbjif.png

xgkvhx.png

Requirements:

1. OS X Lion dmg.

2. Working Mac OS X(I’m assuming you have only one hdd)

Step 1: Go to Disk Utility and click on the plus sign to create a new 10GB partition.

i2n66h.jpg

mkarz8.png

msm4o9.png

Step 2: Mount your OSX Lion dmg and show hidden files you can download the software i used from here .

1zv3237.jpg

Step 3:

1.Mount BaseSystem.dmg.

2.Go to Disk Utility.

3.Select the partition you made earlier and then click on Restore.

4.Chose Mac OS X Base System as Source, and the partition you made as the Destination.

5. Click restore and wait for it to finish.

vdh99j.jpg

Step 4:

1.After the restore operation complete unmount Mac OS X Base System.

2.Open the partition you made and go to System->Installation.

3.Delete the Packages file.

11rt69w.png

Step 5:

1.Open Mac OS X Install ESD and copy the packages folder.

2.Paste the packages folder in System->Installation to the partition you made.

2z7e7uq.png

1snj0x.png

Step 6:

1.Download Chameleon RC5 752 from here.

2.Install Chameleon on both the partition you made and your snow partition.

Step 5:

1.Go to the extra folder on your snow partiton and copy DSDT.aml and your extensions.

2.Paste them in extra on the partition you made.

ptwl5.png

33kajk2.png

Step 6:

1.Open Mac OS X Install ECD and copy these five files to the root of your new partition.

1..disk_lable.

2.boot.efi.

3.kernelcache.

4.mach_kernel.

5.MacOSX_Media_Background.png.

2m6tp9g.png

2m6tp9g.jpg

Step 7:

1.reboot and make sure to boot from the HDD you made the partition on.

2.From the Chameleon boot screen select the partition you made.

3.carry on with the installation as normal.

52ezj6.jpg

30w16l5.jpg

2eqdfkx.jpg

2eoialy.jpg

j5cqhk.jpg

x5cj8z.jpg

10f2fea.jpg

Post-installation:

1. Install Chameleon RC5 752 on your lion partition.

jjsaxg.png

2.I only needed the sound and network drivers for my board you can download them from here.

Thanks for the great guide!!

I first installed it on a blank partition (on a different disk), just to be sure i could access it if anything went wrong, then installed it right over the top of snow leopard with no problems at all. Sweet!!!

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Intel Core2Quad Q6600

Asus nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

Chameleon RC5

@ gotojanoo ---> Copy them from your SL installation. And make sure you can see what you're copying.

Type in terminal (without sudo -s):

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE - (then return)

killall Finder

Then restart finder. To hide the secret files again replace TRUE with FALSE

Respect the upper and lower case!

Hi am on step 5 for extra folder.I can not see any dsdt files. I can only see theme folder

I followed this guide exactly. In the end, when the "Boot" partition loads, there is a wait at

[PCI Configuration Begin]

and then the screen goes blank (no kernel panic). Any idea why this happens?

Been lurking for about a year now. :(

Just wanted to log in just to say thanks for this guide. Followed it word for word and I'm now successfully upgraded to OSX 10.7 GM.

On an old-ish system, using an ASUS P5Q motherboard, did a straight upgrade. Only thing that needed reinstalling was the sound, USB, Ethernet still work perfectly for me. :)

It's a desktop, I don't bother sleeping it so i'm not too pushed about that.

So thanks again. :)

I've got a very strange problem-I've got the installer booted fine off the flash drive, but at the initial language selection screen (with the animated text), I'm unable to continue. My cursor is moving fine, but I cannot scroll in the box or click the continue button. Any thoughts?

Edit: turns out the click was registering, albeit very slowly.

Now I have the message - "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer."

I have a DSDT for my motherboard, the Gigabyte P35-DS3L. I also have the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, because if I don't, the system kernel panics right as it tries to start.

start in safe mode and it should work. then change the Chameleon settings... something to do with graphics settings not being correct... methinks

I followed this guide exactly. In the end, when the "Boot" partition loads, there is a wait at

[PCI Configuration Begin]

and then the screen goes blank (no kernel panic). Any idea why this happens?

start in safe mode and it should work. then change the Chameleon settings... something to do with graphics settings not being correct... methinks

Yes you are right, I connected my laptop's HDMI port to a LCD and I could see the installer.

I've got a very strange problem-I've got the installer booted fine off the flash drive, but at the initial language selection screen (with the animated text), I'm unable to continue. My cursor is moving fine, but I cannot scroll in the box or click the continue button. Any thoughts?

Edit: turns out the click was registering, albeit very slowly.

Now I have the message - "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer."

I have a DSDT for my motherboard, the Gigabyte P35-DS3L. I also have the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, because if I don't, the system kernel panics right as it tries to start.

I too had this error ...

Solution -

Replace OSInstall.mpkg in System/Install/Packages with this one (courtesy : MaLd0n)

I have a wierd problem. I managed to install 10.7 on my Sony Vaio with almost everything working (except LAN Marvel Yukon 88E8059) but there are few problems :

1) Atheros card is unstable in connection (using the same kext that worked in SL)

2) Internal display won't work, but I can see full QE/CI for my ATI Radeon 5470m (512MB) on an LCD connected via HDMI (with translucent bar, etc etc)

I have added ATIConfig=Hoolock and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.boot.plist. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Managed to get it working

Has anyone got working sleep? I put the new sleepenabler in /extra/extensions but it didnt work

Edit 2: Sleep working by putting new sleepenabler in S/L/E

Thanks for the excellent guide

Thanks to the help of various folks, I was able to get the Lion installer to allow me to install, and the install completed successfully.

However, I can't boot. Using -v, the system gets stuck repeatedly at the same point "waiting for DSMOS" (sorry for the screenshot, but I figure it's the best way). Any ideas?

img20110711164640.jpg