[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Great guide. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. SL has taken well to this machine but with Lion I'm having a problem, probably a noob problem.

Asus p7h55-m Usb3

i7 860

4GB Corsair XMS3 1600

XFX ATi 5770

Followed everything. Used a DSDT from the Creator.

All well, Can boot from USB but I dont make it as far as installation.

First I get this,

th_photo-1.jpg

I then hang on that, until I press my power Button once, and it advances to this.

th_photo1-1.jpg

Apologies if its something simple but I've searched around. Tried removing the NullCPUPowermanagement after it said timed out, same thing. Tried -x

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

You could try removing ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext as well (although you might get a CMOS reset so be sure to save your BIOS settings).

I'm guessing it's a Sandy Bridge issue but I haven't followed the discussions and someone with an i5 got a working installation without problems.

Take a look at Extra_MacBookPro8_1.zip in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 and replace the stuff in Extra on the USB. Let me know if it works or not.

EDIT: If this is in any way daunting I can make you an install.tar.gz with the newer FakeSMC.kext. The fakesmc.kext in the current version is fairly old.

You could try removing ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

I'm guessing it's a Sandy Bridge issue..

Take a look at Extra_MacBookPro8_1.zip in...

EDIT: If this is in any way daunting I can make you an install.tar.gz with the newer FakeSMC.kext. The fakesmc.kext in the current version is fairly old.

Thanks for replying.

Tried removing ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext, no avail.

my i7 is the first revision before Sandy bridge, So I looked in the iMac 1156 zip - that correct?

Also if you believe that would help in making a new install.tar.gz, and only if you have the time. If not would I be able to just switch the FakeSMC.kext to the newer?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for replying.

Tried removing ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext, no avail.

my i7 is the first revision before Sandy bridge, So I looked in the iMac 1156 zip - that correct?

Also if you believe that would help in making a new install.tar.gz, and only if you have the time. If not would I be able to just switch the FakeSMC.kext to the newer?

Thanks a lot!

Try this one: (Check guide for download)

The fast way would be just to switch to the new FakeSMC.kext on the USB, as you mentioned but I'm probably going to update it anyway ;)

Exact same place unfortunately :(

I'll have a good play with things and see if I can progress.

Thanks a lot, will keep updated incase anything changes!

Since we're grasping at straws: Try removing the DSDT and remake the USB.

Exact same place unfortunately :)

I'll have a good play with things and see if I can progress.

Thanks a lot, will keep updated incase anything changes!

Oops. I accidentally gave you the same version again so you never got the newer FakeSMC.kext :rolleyes:

I've updated the file in the guide. That is:

v0.4 released 2011-06-15

* Updated FakeSMC.kext

Thank you Tseug for the "easy way."

I successfully installed Lion on my Shuttle SG31G2 hard drive using your method.

However, I can boot Lion via the USB stick, but cannot boot from the hard drive. Chameleon is rc1003 version. I did run the finalize script.

I've also done a manual install of Chamleon from within the Lion partition itself after ejecting the USB, but that made no difference. Snow Leopard is on the first partition of the drive and uses Chameleon RC3; upon boot, and without the USB Chameleon 3 comes up. I can boot Snow, but not Lion from Chameleon 3. Using the USB stick, I can boot Snow or Lion. I would have thought the boot0 would have overwritten whatever Cham. RC3 had put on dev/rdisk0.

I have 3 partitions on the drive disk0s1 is Snow, disk0s2 is a Snow backup and disk0s3 is Lion.

As I'm writing this it occurs to me... perhaps I should install boot1h on not only the Lion partition, but the Snow and backup partitions as well. Is that the solution? hmmmm... Oh, or remove the boot files from the root of the first 2 partions?

Thoughts, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT... :happymac:

Found a post "somewhere" by oldnapalm which made me realize I needed to install the new Chameleon RC5 on Snow partition. That is the solution; now I can boot Snow or Lion from the HD without the USB stick.

And, again Tseug thank you.

Oops. I accidentally gave you the same version again so you never got the newer FakeSMC.kext :happymac:

I've updated the file in the guide. That is:

v0.4 released 2011-06-15

* Updated FakeSMC.kext

:P haha no problem I'll download that and give it a go now!

Thank you Tseug for the "easy way."

I successfully installed Lion on my Shuttle SG31G2 hard drive using your method.

However, I can boot Lion via the USB stick, but cannot boot from the hard drive. Chameleon is rc1003 version. I did run the finalize script.

I've also done a manual install of Chamleon from within the Lion partition itself after ejecting the USB, but that made no difference. Snow Leopard is on the first partition of the drive and uses Chameleon RC3; upon boot, and without the USB Chameleon 3 comes up. I can boot Snow, but not Lion from Chameleon 3. Using the USB stick, I can boot Snow or Lion. I would have thought the boot0 would have overwritten whatever Cham. RC3 had put on dev/rdisk0.

I have 3 partitions on the drive disk0s1 is Snow, disk0s2 is a Snow backup and disk0s3 is Lion.

As I'm writing this it occurs to me... perhaps I should install boot1h on not only the Lion partition, but the Snow and backup partitions as well. Is that the solution? hmmmm... Oh, or remove the boot files from the root of the first 2 partions?

Thoughts, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

I don't have my test partition on the same hard drive as the SL partition so I don't know what goes wrong. This is not a problem with this install method, though.

Maybe SL being the first partition somehow have special meaning to Chameleon? I would try to install it there and see what happens.

Thanks Tseug

This method will serve for the final version of Lion? :P

I don't know.

Yet another update:

v0.5 released 2011-06-15

* RTGMac_v2.0.6 causes issues with sleep. Changed to Lnx2Mac's OS X port.

Still trying away, No luck. Actually Got into the install with an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but it was hit and miss so im trying to retrace my steps haha.

Thought i'd mention, your v0.5 release, 80% of the files are prefixed with 'install' now so the terminal /mkboot commands dont work! I just renamed them all and works obviously but incase somebody else is trying thought I'd say!

Still trying away, No luck. Actually Got into the install with an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but it was hit and miss so im trying to retrace my steps haha.

Thought i'd mention, your v0.5 release, 80% of the files are prefixed with 'install' now so the terminal /mkboot commands dont work! I just renamed them all and works obviously but incase somebody else is trying thought I'd say!

Oops (again) :) Should be fixed now.

Yes, tried it on an P8P67 Deluxe. It works except Sleep, but it was a few days ago, before the scripts were updated yesterday.

Sleep might work now. I've changed the Realtek NIC kext.

Hey Tseug,

Having a couple of problems and was just wondering if You could shoot some advice? :D

I can't boot without -x

If I try without -x and use -v, PCIRootUID=1 I don't seen any panics, or any errors (a slight usb hang actually).

I get to the end, Grey screen loads and looks promising for about 0.5 seconds before it hands/dots appear.

At the minute I can boot with -x PCIRootUID=1.

But being In safe mode, I'm not sure if it loads any graphics or not? as my 5770 (XFX) is only being recognised as a 5mb 1024x768 card. (could this be rectified with putting some downloaded kexts in /Extra/Extensions?) I have tried a couple but no avail, and read from others 5770 works Out of box.

Also even with -v, I'm not seeing anything obvious is there a way I can check a log from within the desktop?

Thanks again!

- ps Im using a DSDT from auto patcher too.

Hey Tseug,

Having a couple of problems and was just wondering if You could shoot some advice? :D

I can't boot without -x

If I try without -x and use -v, PCIRootUID=1 I don't seen any panics, or any errors (a slight usb hang actually).

I get to the end, Grey screen loads and looks promising for about 0.5 seconds before it hands/dots appear.

At the minute I can boot with -x PCIRootUID=1.

But being In safe mode, I'm not sure if it loads any graphics or not? as my 5770 (XFX) is only being recognised as a 5mb 1024x768 card. (could this be rectified with putting some downloaded kexts in /Extra/Extensions?) I have tried a couple but no avail, and read from others 5770 works Out of box.

Also even with -v, I'm not seeing anything obvious is there a way I can check a log from within the desktop?

Thanks again!

- ps Im using a DSDT from auto patcher too.

I'm actually thinking of buying that graphics card for Lion, so I'm very interested. Please make sure to report back. :o

What output port are you using? There might be an issue with HDMI.

If you move the card to the other PCI-E port, you should get rid of the PCIRoot option. I actually thought if was 1 by default but I might misremember.

What happens if you don't use a custom DSDT (just let the script generate it)? Note that a DSDT is only created when you run finalize. If you run finalize on /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System that ought to install it on the USB so you don't need to install OS X each time. I haven't actually tested this but I'm going to now. That is, boot into the USB with -x and run ./finalize /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System instead of installing. Then reboot to USB without -x.

With regards to logs: /var/log contains all the logs. system.log and kernel.log are usually the most interesting.

EDIT: The striked through didn't work. I'll take a look at it and make yet another version. It will probably take a couple of hours because I have to test it as well.