[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

work fine for me after install Lx02X-Lion V1.1

Thank DoiX.

* now i'm running 10.7.1 and not update 10.7.4 because i have one problem with intel HD3000 graphic(slow and freezes in 10.7.4 and i don't know why). help me please!

Credits go to the developers of each component and/or the one who suggested it, i'll update the info as the package advances. If you're one of the devs and i forgot to give credit please PM me. I'm merely human when not hooked on a constant coffee IV drip

Very good! You'll soon be my hero :)

I find it's common sense to do that... but it's also common sense to not assume that everything inside a .zip file (for example) was made by the one who uploaded it. Yet, most people lack common sense... so it's no longer common.

• Like 1

Hi Doix,

I just want to know which Fakesmc plugins do u use or prefer ? one from Slice v 6xx or from Kozlek HWsensors v 4xx ? Well on my L702x both Fakesmc with their respective IntelCPUMonitor or IntelThermal plugins shows that my i7 2630 QM hits a max 2574 MHZ not 2.9 Ghz. I am using my own custom SSDT's.

I Just want to know whether its same for u guys on l502x or ru able to achieve max cpu 2.9 GHz ?

regards

Nice work man! Gonna test it out tomorrow. Might I suggest adding localtime-toggle.pkg for people who dual boot and have time issues between OSX and windows. Also there's a kext floating around for the SD card reader(I think on one of the L702x threads). I haven't tried it but I ehar it works for the L502x as well.

Also I'm starting to get graphics artifacts(mostly in the default screensavers) that I didn't notice before. Is this something that changed in 10.7.4? And do I just try all the patched kexts until I find one without artifacts?

--Adeeb

Hi Doix,

I just want to know which Fakesmc plugins do u use or prefer ? one from Slice v 6xx or from Kozlek HWsensors v 4xx ? Well on my L702x both Fakesmc with their respective IntelCPUMonitor or IntelThermal plugins shows that my i7 2630 QM hits a max 2574 MHZ not 2.9 Ghz. I am using my own custom SSDT's.

I Just want to know whether its same for u guys on l502x or ru able to achieve max cpu 2.9 GHz ?

regards

I prefer kozlek. We get max 2.6 according to them, but if you check with MSRDumper kext you will notice (if your SSDT has all the proper freq) that you will get to 28-29. 29 being in extreme cases.... i'm not sure if its a visual bug, or the fact that the original patcher was made for desktops and not laptops. You could use windows and that intel turbo boost tool/widget to see up to what speed it gets and compare.

Comparing the CPU Score from geekbench with the one with macbookpro 8,2 i found it to be similar... so i guess it's safe to assume its normal to not see 2.9ghz....

@adeeb, good idea! Honestly, i never used the SD Reader :D i don't even know if those kexts work on my system, i'll add them anyway if they are not too large.

I think your either just noticed or your cpu is overheating. Test each kext to see which one results in LESS artiacts... because none of them will fully get rid of them. I've said it before.. they are not caused by a single thing: CPU/GPU overheating, incompatible kext... bad kext permission and so forth.

Hi DoiX, finally achieved to get 10.7.4 working on my L502x... :) I guess it was due to the "custom" kernel I used before, because with the "mach_kernel" one, it works fine!

Concerning the SD card reader, I never had it working, but it's not a big deal. And about the SmartBattery.kext, what are the changes, because I don't have anything changing when I use it.

And as MackyReady said to you, it seems that HWMonitor doesn't "see" that my CPU can go up to 3,0Ghz. It indicates up to 2744Mhz, but no 3,0Ghz. Even under heavy usage...

I didn't have a look at MSRDumper to see if all the multipliers are reached.

Will edit later to tell you what MSRDumper indicates.

MSRDumper shows multipliers from 8 to 28... Nothing more.

Edited by Rockball73

Wonder if anyone else tried this on the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. Here is my result:

For LION

1. Use the Rboot LE CD to boot Blangsag DVD V2 with busratio=20 cpus=1 -x -v. Remember to attach DVD drive to the left USB port (which is USB 2.0). During the installation, installer would ask for BT mouse/TP connection. Just press space bar to proceed.

2. After installation, boot again with the same parameters. (perhaps no need for -x). I do not need to install DSDT yet to get graphics recognized. At a point, the installer would ask for mouse and KB through BT. I used a USB mouse to pass the mouse request and a BT KB for the KB request (you probably can try USB KB). Remember to use the left USB port.

3. Upgrade to 10.7.1

3. Run L502x_V6 (I wasn't able to find V7) and install DSDT and

choose the 8,2 system defintion. Select SpeedSteper option and

AICPUPM. Also select the touchpad. Voodoo battery not works without adding a patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

4. Run ###### to install Chimera 1.9.0 and VoodooHDA

5. In the boot list, I added npci=0x2000 and busratio=20 to make boot more reliable. However, I got panic from time to time and had to use UseKernelCache=No, or -v or -x -v to boot.

What I got:

1. Almost all devices works. USB 3 doesn't work (worked for me when at 10.6.7). Not tried WiFi DW1510 yet. BT works and keep asking me to add USB KB when boot.

2. Boot not reliable and would need UseKernelCache=No

3. Can sleep (LED breathing) but can't wake. Power down immediately when press the power button during sleep.

4. TP works as a mouse. It is jumping around when boot with -x.

I am going to upgrade to 10.7.4 with newly downloaded LION_V7 and see how it goes.

Appreciate any comment/advice or experience sharing on your XPS 13.

Edit: Just realized I shouldn't mention the commercial package name. Thanks for censoring it.

I recommend using Lx02X V1.1 Installer, updated stuff in it.

Don't boot with -x, -x = safe mode, kexts don't get loaded. UseKernelCache=No results in KP? Related to what...? Use original mach_kernel, not modded one... could explain some bugs. Sleep could be related to the DSDT, BIOS, or SpeedStepping.

Please post exact specs: Audio Chipset, Intel Chipset, Intel GPU ID... and whatever you find necessary. But please don't post a 5 page long dump from some app.

• Like 1

I recommend using Lx02X V1.1 Installer, updated stuff in it.

Don't boot with -x, -x = safe mode, kexts don't get loaded. UseKernelCache=No results in KP? Related to what...? Use original mach_kernel, not modded one... could explain some bugs. Sleep could be related to the DSDT, BIOS, or SpeedStepping.

Please post exact specs: Audio Chipset, Intel Chipset, Intel GPU ID... and whatever you find necessary. But please don't post a 5 page long dump from some app.

In fact, I often get KP without using "UseKernelCache=No". I did not use a modded Kernel (don't know how to use it). The kernel shows Darwin Kernel 11.1.0. Is this a right one? Here is the hardware spec. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Processor Options Intel® Core™ i7 2637M Dual Core (1.70GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0 to 2.80GHz) Chipset Intel® QS67

Graphics Intel® HD 3000 graphics

Wireless Connectivity Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 802.11 a/g/n with Intel® Smart Connect Technology + Bluetooth 3.0, Intel® Wireless Display ready*

Sound High Definition Audio + Waves MaxxAudio® 4 1.5W x2 = 3W total

Realtek ALC 275

Edit: KP seems to be random and not related to the UseKernelCache settings.

I do not need to install DSDT yet to get graphics recognized.

I asked for the Intel HD ID to confirm if you need a DSDT edit. Personally i think the 13 XPS is fundamentally different than l502 or l702 and it may require its OEM DSDT to be patched.

For the intel HD Device ID go to system information > displays

• Like 1

I asked for the Intel HD ID to confirm if you need a DSDT edit. Personally i think the 13 XPS is fundamentally different than l502 or l702 and it may require its OEM DSDT to be patched.

For the intel HD Device ID go to system information > displays

Thanks for getting back to me. As I failed to boot after upgrading to 10.7.4. Let me get back to you later. Thanks!

Edit: Device ID=0x0116 Revision ID=0x0009. BTW, what is

Lx02X V1.1 Installer. Where can I find it?

Thanks!

Aghhhh.

Managed to finally boot back into 10.7.4 after the update but with no battery and incorrect temps...

So...

I ran Lion 1.1 and must have installed something wrong. After the install I had a bunch of "kext improperly installed" messages.

Ran Kext Wizard to repair and rebuild. Now I have a KP.

I guess I'm still a noob.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-62806-0-10207200-1338430449_thumb.jpg

Do you use the "mach_kernel" or the "custom" kernel?

To be sure you use the "mach_kernel", open your boot.plist and look at the "Kernel" string. If you see :

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>custom</string>

The, delete it, and this will use the "mach_kernel" one automatically.

Maybe it isn't related to that, but I had a custom kernel from 10.7.1 to 10.7.3, and when I upgraded to 10.7.4, I was unable to boot with it, I got KP all the time. So I use a new "custom" for 10.7.4 and it works now!

Or maybe you can change the ACPIPlatform.kext, this worked for me. Use the one you used with your 10.7.1 install.

Now I reinstalled 10.7 with Blangsak DVD on XPS 13 Ultrabook, upgrade to 10.7.4 with the combo and install only the Lx02x v1.1 and Chimera bootloader. I always got KP before installing DSDT but I can boot with rBoot LE without any switches. After installed the DSDT, I can boot directly from HDD now. Can enter sleep mode but again power off immediately on wake. Touchpad is jumping around. Should I use Voodoo PS2 instead?

I always got KPs before installing DSDT but I can boot with rBoot LE without any switches. After installed the DSDT, I can boot directly from HDD now.

I assume Blangsak DVD didn't install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, the KPs you got are related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. DSDT provides half of the patch required for your system to fully work. Considering the sleep error, i assume you didn't install from the package the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (AICPUPM 10.7.4) < please do so.

Touchpad jumping around.. hmm, please go to System Preferences > Trackpad, do you have options there? If no, then your trackpad is actually being detected as a mouse hence the jumping bug. You can try to manually reinstall the kexts/ fix permissions if that still doesn't work i could mean your trackpad is not a Synaptic, then i guess you can try VoodooPS2.

@markman, i'm not sure... but if memory serves, that error means that all your kext files were skipped during the creation of the kextcache. Probably because of bad permissions... boot with UseKernelCache=No, if you manage to boot through(note: it may take a while, a blue screen will appear "maybe" and it will stay a while...) use KextWizard's Maintenance option to repair permissions and rebuild kextcache. Again, this may take a while.

• Like 1