[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I had the same problem after upgrading. It wasn't the kext failing. I have a 2720M, and SSDT seemed to be the issue. Using the 2720M SSDT that was posted earlier solved the problem for me.

On another note, I've lost sound and battery detection after the upgrade...

--Adeeb

After each update you must reinstall IOAudioFamily.kext AppleHDA.kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext. About the SSDT, 2720M = dual core? I didn't even know the l502x comes in that "flavour".

@darren, why don't you just install them directly from the installer package.. ? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/HD3000Patch.zip

i7 2720QM, not m sorry. I thought your v7 installer took care of the audio kexts? I ran the installer with audio selected after the upgrade, with no luck.

Also, the smartbatterymanager kext from here: http://www.osx86.net..._need_dsdt.html works perfectly on my system. You need to install the included acpiplatform as well. It detects more battery properties than the voodoo battery kext I was using before. You may want to include that in your installer.

Oh, and upgrading from chimera 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 should solve some p-state issues. It did allow me to boot with GeneratePStates=Yes and no kp. Still have to sue DropSSDT=Yes.

--Adeeb

Ok, manually reinstalling the audio kexts worked. I think you install script isn't replacing the stock kexts for some reason.

One more issue: My trackpad and keyboard work fine, but they don't show up as devices. So the bluetooth keyboard assistant pops up every time I reboot. Not a major issue, but does this happen to you as well?

--Adeeb

God damn script :D, it's a generic script... it *should* work no matter what... i guess in V8 i'll make one specially for Audio, maybe that requires something different. I assume same thing applies if you manually install battery kexts,

#!/bin/sh

# update caches

rm -R ${targetVolume}/System/Library/Caches/
kextcache -update-volume ${targetVolume} -f

exit 0

Smart battery looks interesting, i have another battery kext that works on our laptop provided by CupidHWM but for some reason it stucks the fan when the battery is charging (by stuck i mean it keeps it active - loud). Anyway i'll check SBattery out now.

About the keyboard thing, i vaguely remember getting spammed when i first installed Lion.... i think i disabled that panel from System Preferences.

Chimera 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 makes no difference for me, if i recall well 1.9.2 addressed the bdmesg output more than the actual functionality.

The battery kext is lagging, takes 2 minutes to detect any change... but i like the output info in System Profiler :D

Edited by DoiX

Thanks, I found the bluetooth option in prefs.

I checked the audio kext versions in /S/L/E after running the installer and selecting the l502 audio check. They were still stock kexts after install. I remember after selecting, the installer showed "upgrade" instead of "install". I wonder if the installer decided not to replace the kexts for some reason because the stock kexts have a higher version number?

--Adeeb

Thanks, I found the bluetooth option in prefs.

I checked the audio kext versions in /S/L/E after running the installer and selecting the l502 audio check. They were still stock kexts after install. I remember after selecting, the installer showed "upgrade" instead of "install". I wonder if the installer decided not to replace the kexts for some reason because the stock kexts have a higher version number?

--Adeeb

It's plausible, i'll see what i can do about it in the next rev.

@DoiX, if you are updating your installer, please include usb3 pxhcd kext.

I'm creating an easy install from scratch 10.7.4 method (still testing) and the pxhcd kext is needed.

I also discovered the same problem as adeebm with the ps2 kexts from your package.

If I just use the kexts from uni_beast, our touchpad is found. If I install your v7 package I get the message to connect a mouse or bluetooth mouse

edit:

also you need to address this problem:

when starting your v7 installer, and ticking the chosen options to install, then when you change the target drive in the next screen: ALL chosen options are RESET TO DEFAULT!!!!

multi_beast solves this problem by automatically going back to chosing the options after you changed the target disk

I think many problems people have with your package are based on this bug (feature?)

please use small letters :)

You'll need to buy an wifi card or usb stick with a chipset which is supported by osx out of the box or for which a kext / driver is available.

Mine for example is a Medion RTL8188CU/8192CU nano usb stick which works fine in OSX 10.7.4 with the official driver/kext from the Realtek site.

I bought it for just € 4,-

After each update you must reinstall IOAudioFamily.kext AppleHDA.kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext. About the SSDT, 2720M = dual core? I didn't even know the l502x comes in that "flavour".

@darren, why don't you just install them directly from the installer package.. ? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/HD3000Patch.zip

I don't want the patched Files just the originals - patched ones give glitches I never had before unless something else in your installer could cause them?

@darren

About the Graphics Artifacts Patch:

- it may or may not fix your gfx glitches. According to some devs, increasing or decreasing the memory used by the Intel GPU remove graphic artifacts. This means you must test each kext, low RAM and high RAM, to see what does it for you.

Manually install the 64mb version from the archive.

@birdibird

also you need to address this problem:

when starting your v7 installer, and ticking the chosen options to install, then when you change the target drive in the next screen: ALL chosen options are RESET TO DEFAULT!!!!

multi_beast solves this problem by automatically going back to chosing the options after you changed the target disk

I think many problems people have with your package are based on this bug (feature?

That happens because it's a feature and m.beast didn't fix it because its part of the OS X package installer functions. Also, why choose another disk? The installer selects the disk the current installation boots from...

The only problem people have with the installer is the fact that kexts are not replaced, and i don't know why because i couldn't manage to replicate it. I restored the stock 10.7.4 audio kexts (IOAudio & AppleHDA) then used V7 installer to install audio... it worked. I don't know why its working for some people and why it isn't working for others.

One fix coming right up!

That happens because it's a feature and m.beast didn't fix it because its part of the OS X package installer functions. Also, why choose another disk? The installer selects the disk the current installation boots from...

The reason to choose another disk is for example if you install on another partition and you boot back into your old osx to run the installer package to the new partition

@DoiX, if you are updating your installer, please include usb3 pxhcd kext. I'm creating an easy install from scratch 10.7.4 method (still testing) and the pxhcd kext is needed. I also discovered the same problem as adeebm with the ps2 kexts from your package. If I just use the kexts from uni_beast, our touchpad is found. If I install your v7 package I get the message to connect a mouse or bluetooth mouse edit: also you need to address this problem: when starting your v7 installer, and ticking the chosen options to install, then when you change the target drive in the next screen: ALL chosen options are RESET TO DEFAULT!!!! multi_beast solves this problem by automatically going back to chosing the options after you changed the target disk I think many problems people have with your package are based on this bug (feature?)

This is a final warning, assuming you haven't read my post yet: http://www.insanelym...0

Discussion of tonymac beasts is not allowed in this forum. There are forum filters for a reason. The next who tries to overcome them gets at least one month suspension.

Ah, sorry... i had no idea :) i rarely visit other threads.. and when i do i use search so i've missed global warnings.

I didn't even know tonymac is commercial... sorry once again.

I have one question though, if someone would make a similar package and make it freely available with no "donation" demands or similar would it be acceptable by IM Forums?

Ah, sorry... i had no idea :) i rarely visit other threads.. and when i do i use search so i've missed global warnings.

I didn't even know tonymac is commercial... sorry once again.

OK :)

I have one question though, if someone would make a similar package and make it freely available with no "donation" demands or similar would it be acceptable by IM Forums?

I guess it would.

• Like 1

I had the same problem after upgrading. It wasn't the kext failing. I have a 2720M, and SSDT seemed to be the issue. Using the 2720M SSDT that was posted earlier solved the problem for me.

On another note, I've lost sound and battery detection after the upgrade...

--Adeeb

The ssdt fixed the KP, but now the original problem remains, slow boot to a blue screen. @DioX I booted into the 10.6 installation and repaired the permissions and and rebuilt the kext cache and still the same problem...

is there a way i could re-install the update and v7 from single user mode?

Slow boot = no kernel cache... when you boot with -v do you see loads of kexts loading? If yes, boot with -v -s and rebuild the kextcache with the commands i provided. From 10.6 may not work because of how kextcache used to work in that version. In the end KextWizard uses the built-in OS utility to create cache.

I doubt there is a way to re-install the update in single user mode... or the V7 package.

Ok, I did try the commands you gave, but that might have been when I had the mid-matched ssdt. I'll try again. Thanks.

@DoiX ran the commands again. No change. It's not slow because of the extra kexts loading, -v loads some, but not as many as -f (-f gets to "still waiting for root device"). It just moves very slowly through each process, finishing with the blue screen. Can I restore directly from time machine backup, or do I have to do a fresh install, then use the time machine backup?

The package installer has been remade from scratch, added several scripts to fix the bugs related to kext installing. Name has changed because i made it fully compatible with L702x models as well, this being the first step to creating an alternative to "The-Installer-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named". There will probably be 2 versions, one for desktop another for laptops, to keep the size down.

Credits go to the developers of each component and/or the one who suggested it, i'll update the info as the package advances. If you're one of the devs and i forgot to give credit please PM me. I'm merely human when not hooked on a constant coffee IV drip

The package although being named Mountain Lion is still backward compatible with Lion!

Please Install the battery kext in a different session! (separately)

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.4

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.4:

- rebuilt using Packages by Stephane Sudre because Apple's PackageMaker is bad, and they should feel bad about it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.3

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.3:

- now fully compatible with Lion & ML

- modified Audio kexts to be compatible with both OS'

- added patched IOAHCIFamily to fix waiting for root device error

- updated DSDTs

- modified ACPI Table script to backup DSDT/SSDT files when installing new ones, same goes for Boot.plist

- included Aergia.app

- included WMI Kext to fix missing brightness FN functionality

- fixed the kernel panic caused by installing battery kexts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lx02X - Lion V1.2

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.2:

- added VoodooHDA 2.7.3 for XPS 13

- fixed "switch kexts" bug in installer. (dammit, not again!)

Lx02X - Lion V1.1

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.1:

- stock Audio kext to revert in case of problems..

- fixed typo in preinstall script.

- kext replacing/upgrading script.

- stock GFX kext so one can revert in case of problems.

- Included several AppleHDA kexts, read in-app description for more info.

- Included SmartBattery and VoodooBattery.kext

- Realtek LAN chip alternative kexts.

- added the AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.3 and script to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if it exists.

- script that moves SSDT/DSDT from / to /Extra

- added SSDTs for several CPU Models.

-
added DSDT for L702x.

-
USB3 kext at user request.

-
included a new app "BatChmod" for easy file/folder permission management. DO NOT USE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

To DO list:

- A script that patches AICPUPM.kext on the fly... this will reduce package size.

- That's all i have for now, ideas are welcomed...
Edited by DoiX
  • Like 2

Please help ! HD3000 problem

Dell xps l502x

Intel core i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz

chipset intel HM67

RAM : 8G

Graphics: Intel HD 3000 (ID:0116) & geforce GT 540m

Audio: ALC 665

Boot with Chimera last.

SMBIOS: MACBOOKPRO 8.1

I'm clean install Iatkos L1 and update -> 10.7.2 / 10.7.3 / 10.7.4 successful (used Doix L502x Installer V7 pack). But HD3000 only work good (full QE/CI) with 10.7.1.

HD3000 work (full QE/CI) with (10.7.2--> 10.7.4), but very slow and freezes (but the mouse can move).

* Tried with all kext of Intel HD 3000.

Please help me, thanks.

• Like 1