[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I used FileMerge from Dev Tools, it didn't detect any differences between the ACPI table dumps. The changes must be in the routines or in some table that is not getting dumped by the acpi dumper...

I used FileMerge from Dev Tools, it didn't detect any differences between the ACPI table dumps. The changes must be in the routines or in some table that is not getting dumped by the acpi dumper...

Oh ok. That's strange... I don't have any knowledge in that, so I can't help. In what 'language' is the BIOS written?

EDIT :

About my problem with my USB dongle, I found a way to boot with it plugged in : USB Emulation disabled in BIOS makes it boot. The only thing is that I can't boot from an external HDD/ or any other thing plugged in via USB. But it's not a big deal, it boots without unplugging it everytime.

Hello everyone! Is there any news about the advanced bios menu or a way to only use nvidia graphics card on this laptop? Does the this laptop perform adequately with the built in intel graphics core (hd video/games etc).

Thanks!

Hello everyone! Is there any news about the advanced bios menu or a way to only use nvidia graphics card on this laptop? Does the this laptop perform adequately with the built in intel graphics core (hd video/games etc).

Thanks!

Hi Donkey!! At the moment, no progress concerning the nVidia graphic card. I try (as DoiX does) to PM people that claims to have a 3D display (on L502x/L702x) on differents forums, youtube, ... but still no answer.

Concerning the HD3000, it's not as powerfull as a discrete card but you can watch HD videos without any problems. The OS X interface is smooth (except some transitions, etc.), and concerning games, I cannot help you because I'm not a big player under OS X...

Games are alright, some you can play at high details others at medium. I've only tested them with the full PStates SSDT.

World of Warcraft - Max settings

Portal 2 - Max settings

HoN & LoL- Max settings

CoD MW 3 - Under Emulation... playable.. low to medium settings, depending on your luck and game scenes.

SIMS 3 ( :D ) - Max settings

I'm not a die hard gamer so i've only with them a few hours, the laptop under OS X performed wonderful, didn't overheat no sluggish performances...

Games are alright, some you can play at high details others at medium. I've only tested them with the full PStates SSDT.

World of Warcraft - Max settings

Portal 2 - Max settings

HoN & LoL- Max settings

CoD MW 3 - Under Emulation... playable.. low to medium settings, depending on your luck and game scenes.

SIMS 3 ( :D ) - Max settings

I'm not a die hard gamer so i've only with them a few hours, the laptop under OS X performed wonderful, didn't overheat no sluggish performances...

I had a question concerning the HD3000... Does it work this way : More powerful the CPU is, more powerful the HD3000 is?

Or is the power of the HD3000 the same if you have a i7 or a i5? :)

EDIT :

Hey DoiX : Have you read about this? They made a lot of progress in BIOS modding...

http://forum.noteboo...-project-5.html

Edited by Rockball73

About my problem with my USB dongle, I found a way to boot with it plugged in : USB Emulation disabled in BIOS makes it boot. The only thing is that I can't boot from an external HDD/ or any other thing plugged in via USB. But it's not a big deal, it boots without unplugging it everytime.

So this means u can boot now with an USB port plugged in?

Another question : How problematic is it to have the pc freezing or having a Kernel Panic and then restarting? I mean how harmful for the OS (I don't know for the file structure or similar thing)

I am just wondering ... every time i have a kernel panic or a frozen screen and shut down by long-pressing the power button i feel pity for my mac installation ;)

So this means u can boot now with an USB port plugged in?

Yes, I can boot with a USB plugged in... With "USB emultaion = enabled" it hanged on BIOS splash screen, and since I disabled it, it boot straight.

But you have to know that if you disable USB emulation, you won't be able to boot from any external USB HDD. USB devices are no longer detected by BIOS (Chimera bootloader or F12 on Bios screen).

So you'll only be able to boot from your HDD :) But it passes the BIOS splash screen even with a USB port plugged in.

EDIT :

AFAIK, I have always been able to boot with a USB plugged in (at least in the USB2.0 port). The fact is that, since I bought a Belkin Bluetooth mini USB dongle, I was unable to boot with it plugged in. It was hanging at the BIOS splash screen, unless I disable the "USB emulation" in BIOS settings...

Edited by Rockball73

Yes, I can boot with a USB plugged in... With "USB emultaion = enabled" it hanged on BIOS splash screen, and since I disabled it, it boot straight.

But you have to know that if you disable USB emulation, you won't be able to boot from any external USB HDD. USB devices are no longer detected by BIOS (Chimera bootloader or F12 on Bios screen).

So you'll only be able to boot from your HDD :) But it passes the BIOS splash screen even with a USB port plugged in.

EDIT :

AFAIK, I have always been able to boot with a USB plugged in (at least in the USB2.0 port). The fact is that, since I bought a Belkin Bluetooth mini USB dongle, I was unable to boot with it plugged in. It was hanging at the BIOS splash screen, unless I disable the "USB emulation" in BIOS settings...

Ah ok....so thats probably not something which will help my case.Since my boot screen would freeze after having pressed any button in the IAtkos boot menu.

Ah ok....so thats probably not something which will help my case.Since my boot screen would freeze after having pressed any button in the IAtkos boot menu.

Indeed, I'm not sure it's related to your problem.

In which USB port do you plug your USB iAtkos key? The 2.0 one?

Nope, using the DVD...USB didn't work from the very beginning. :D

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s

Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s

Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)

Haha the point is actually that it tells me "No Operation System" when i select usb :)

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)
And is your USB using a MBR table partition?

Once iAtkos.dmg restored to your key, did you try reinstall Chameleon on it? (ticking every useful option as SMBios, ... under Personalize)

A quick search here did not reveal the answer...

Is there any way of getting the eSATA port to work?

The eSATA port is the only USB2.0 on the right of the computer, am I right?

So, if I'm right, that USB port works. But I can't tell about some special feature related to eSATA...

And is your USB using a MBR table partition?

Once iAtkos.dmg restored to your key, did you try reinstall Chameleon on it? (ticking every useful option as SMBios, ... under Personalize)

Well i just restored the iAtkos Image to it. I think i used Mac OS extended journaled for formatting the USB.

I didnt install Chimera on it. Thought the IAtkos itself should have chameleon pre installed? (Thats how i can boot from DVD i guessed)

Something else i found : A Program called "Champlist" . It is somehow related to chameleon but tells me "Boot cannot be read! It may be damaged or has root:wheel permissions."

Could that be the reason for my boot problems?

Well i just restored the iAtkos Image to it. I think i used Mac OS extended journaled for formatting the USB. I didnt install Chimera on it. Thought the IAtkos itself should have chameleon pre installed? (Thats how i can boot from DVD i guessed) Something else i found : A Program called "Champlist" . It is somehow related to chameleon but tells me "Boot cannot be read! It may be damaged or has root:wheel permissions." Could that be the reason for my boot problems?
That's the way I did it too... And yes, Chimera/Chameleon is already installed on the DVD... If chimera is installed, it's normal you get a "boot damaged" with Champlist...

But just to be sure, wouldn't you try to install Chameleon on it once it's been restored.

And maybe, before restoring the dvd to your USB stick, make sure that it's MBR table.

- Open Disk Utility and select the USB stick (not the partition, but the stick itself, with the commercial name of the stick : 8Go Rainbow Lite Intenso or something like this)

- Click the Partition tab on the right column and select "one partition" then "settings" and there set MBR table and not GUID)

- It will ask you to erase the volume, click yes

- Restore iAtkos L1/L2 to your stick and try booting from it

- If you can't, then try installing Chimera or Chameleon on the stick and retry

- If doesn't work, I really don't know :(

EDIT :

I suppose you use iAtkos L2? Because I gave it a try about now and I get the same "No Operation System found" message as you get... I read somewhere that someone fixed this issue by installing Chimera 1.6.0 on the freshly restored USB drive... Didn't try it for now but in a few minutes, I'll give it a try and let you know :)

With iAtkos L1 : No problem on USB key...! Weird

Edited by Rockball73

Has anyone the knowledge to remap the MIC to the LINE-IN port?

Within Windows when you connect a device to the MIC port, you get a pop-up asking whether to use it as a Microphone or as Line-In.

This is important as i do a bit of music production on this laptop, and using it by default as the Microphone introduces a lot of hiss/noise/pre-amplification.

help install snow leopard on dell xps l502x

specs:

intel core i5 -2410m

vgd intel hd 3000- nivida gt 525m

4gb ram

hard disk 500 gb

try install

iAtkos l2

mouse usb did not move during the entry on the screen of install

help install snow leopard on dell xps l502x

specs:

intel core i5 -2410m

vgd intel hd 3000- nivida gt 525m

4gb ram

hard disk 500 gb

try install

iAtkos l2

mouse usb did not moveduring theentryon the screen of install

If you try to install iAtkos L2, you won't get Snow Leopard but Lion!!

And concerning your mouse, in wich USB port did you plug it in? The only one orking during the install is the USB2.0 one (on the right of your L502x) So you'll have to plug your mouse in this one.

But if your touchpad works during the install, you don't need your USB mouse working. When OS X is installed, install DoiX package and everything should work fine! :) Even you USB mouse. I'm using one at the moment, and it's erfectly working on both USB3 and USB2...

Here is the link to DoiX's Guide : Dell XPS15 L502X Lion Install

If you have questions I can try to help you, but I'm not expert. I can only tell you what to do and no to do, thanks to the problems and issues I've met during my install.

• Like 1

try install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop dell xps l502x

error install

bsd process name corresponding to current thread : unknown

Mac OS version: Not yet set.

Kernel version: Kernel Darwin 10.0.0

system uptime in nanosecond:12167363

plz help me...

try install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop dell xps l502x

error install

bsd process name corresponding to current thread : unknown

Mac OS version: Not yet set.

Kernel version: Kernel Darwin 10.0.0

system uptime in nanosecond:12167363

plz help me...

I can't help you since I never tried Snow Leopard but, did you try with flags such as 'busratio=xx' (where xx is your Busratio : see www.intel.com), 'GraphicsEnabler=No', ...

New Bios A10 is out: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/de/de/dedhs1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?driverID=93TVF

Changelog: 1.To fix lid function failed in DOS. 2.Modify fan max speed value to fix WBDD tool fan.exe test failed if system in high temperature 3.Added LED test interface for factory. 4.Sync solution from Queen for IFIR fan noise issue

Did anyone try if sleep is working again?