CMOS Resets on Restarts after Sleep and Wake in 10.7 (Lion)

rayap

474 posts in this topic

<3 blackosx thanks ;)

Ok after apply this patch all my sleep problems gone -_-

No Cmos reset, and the best thing, my lion wakeup normal from sleep

going test benchmark now to check if all ok with performance

Btw my spec:

Intel Core i7 950@3.2Ghz · Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 BIOS:FF · XFX HD-687A-ZDBC Radeon HD 6870 aka Dual Fan Black Edition (OC) · 6GB (2x3) DDR3 Corsair 1600MHz · SONY Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S · Home made BT with original BT module

update: all performance ok

Can you upload your dsdt ?

Thanks

Heyas folks, here's what's going on after GM install:

- After fresh install of Lion GM, restart worked fine with no CMOS reset.

- Wake from sleep causes the system to restart with CMOS reset.

- Applied RTC patch; No more CMOS reset after sleep, but the system restarts. Have yet to mess around with DSDT, or tried another version of Chameleon.

History thus far:

- DP1-4 (fresh installs when applicable) Sleep worked, no CMOS reset.

- Updated Chameleon and CMOS reset and restart after wake. Applied RTC patch and all was good.

- Updated to DP5, sleep and wake work fine, CMOS reset after restart. Applied RTC patch, no change. CMOS reset after wake and restart.

- Fresh install Lion GM. CMOS reset after wake and restart. Applied new RTC patch, no CMOS reset but restart after wake. :P

:P It would be helpful if people would head over to 'My Controls' and add your system info to your signature. This not only saves you time by not having to add it to your posts, but also gives other members an idea what you have, and thus can better help you.

And it worked before except for CMOS reset?

Had the same trouble on last 11A494 ... still downloading GM now.... will try....

but RTC patch clear CMOS reset on my ep45ds3® but no wake at all... seems lion stay sleeping... must do hard reboot/reset

before patch: wake/CMOS reset immediately seems "opening his eyes"...

strange behavior ? isn't it ?

- Applied RTC patch; No more CMOS reset after sleep, but the system restarts. Have yet to mess around with DSDT, or tried another version of Chameleon.

History thus far:

- Updated Chameleon and CMOS reset and restart after wake. Applied RTC patch and all was good.

- Updated to DP5, sleep and wake work fine, CMOS reset after restart. Applied RTC patch, no change. CMOS reset after wake and restart.

- Fresh install Lion GM. CMOS reset after wake and restart. Applied new RTC patch, no CMOS reset but restart after wake. :)

:) It would be helpful if people would head over to 'My Controls' and add your system info to your signature. This not only saves you time by not having to add it to your posts, but also gives other members an idea what you have, and thus can better help you.

Had the similar trouble on last 11A494 ... still downloading GM now.... will try....

but RTC patch "clear" CMOS reset on my ep45ds3® and ep45ds3 but no wake at all... seems lion stay sleeping... must do hard reboot/reset (not tested on ep35ds3 /-r/ -l)

before patch: wake/CMOS reset immediately when lion seems "opening his eyes"...

Well, still in trouble BUT Thanks for your hard work guys !!!

My experience with GM build 11A511 is similar.

Before patch the system would deep sleep and wake up fine but each subsequent restart would corrupt the CMOS in the motherboard.

After tseung's GM patch for AppleRTC the system will deep sleep but will not recover from sleep forcing a hard restart.

Tried both 0x2 and 0x4 in the DSDT's RTC section with the same results.

My experience with GM build 11A511 is similar.

Before patch the system would deep sleep and wake up fine but each subsequent restart would corrupt the CMOS in the motherboard.

After tseung's GM patch for AppleRTC the system will deep sleep but will not recover from sleep forcing a hard restart.

Tried both 0x2 and 0x4 in the DSDT's RTC section with the same results.

Interesting. I get the same behavior with and without patch (normal startup instead of hibernate wake). Without patch I get CMOS reset as well.

Deep sleep works for me in SL (although I don't use it).

Does anyone have deep sleep working and can confirm?

How to set deep sleep:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

How to revert:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about normal sleep and not deep sleep?

Thanks a million times! this patch working flewlesly here!

no CMOS reset here, and also working sleep ;)

(still need to check black screen of death i experiencing with SL the past couple of month, without any pattern sometime it will not wake up... but that's another story ;) )

a bit old but still very good!

P5K-SE

however one more thing, i'm still having this RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes), and need to test other RTC to see if it also work, on SL if it was 0x04 or 0x08 then CMOS Reset, will post results soon :)

Does anyone have deep sleep working and can confirm?

I use deep sleep sometimes with SL.

set with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Chameleon correctly finds and loads the sleepimage file from /private/var/vm

As far as my testing went, I couldn't get it to work with Lion. The sleepimage is created but Chameleon didn't load it. I didn't look further in to it.

How to set deep sleep:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

How to revert:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

The different hibernatemode options (taken from here) are:

0 - Default Sleep - RAM stays powered.

1 - RAM contents dumped to disk. System shutdown.

3 - RAM stays powered, and is also dumped to disk.

5 - as 1 but for encrypted virtual memory.

7 - as 3 but for encrypted virtual memory.

I use deep sleep sometimes with SL.

set with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Chameleon correctly finds and loads the sleepimage file from /private/var/vm

As far as my testing went, I couldn't get it to work with Lion. The sleepimage is created but Chameleon didn't load it. I didn't look further in to it.

Chameleon gives me an "incorrect image signature" if I use forcewake. I suspect Rankrotten wasn't talking about deep sleep at all.

The different hibernatemode options (taken from here) are:

0 - Default Sleep - RAM stays powered.

1 - RAM contents dumped to disk. System shutdown.

3 - RAM stays powered, and is also dumped to disk.

5 - as 1 but for encrypted virtual memory.

7 - as 3 but for encrypted virtual memory.

from man pmset (which trumps your documentation ;) )

We do not recommend modifying hibernation settings. Any changes you make
    are not supported. If you choose to do so anyway, we recommend using one
    of these three settings. For your sake and mine, please don't use any-
    thing other 0, 3, or 25.

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The
    system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must
    wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power
    loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The
    system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and
    will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless
    a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The
    system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and
    will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If
    you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery
    life, you should use this setting.

And it worked before except for CMOS reset?

Had the same trouble on last 11A494 ... still downloading GM now.... will try....

but RTC patch clear CMOS reset on my ep45ds3® but no wake at all... seems lion stay sleeping... must do hard reboot/reset

before patch: wake/CMOS reset immediately seems "opening his eyes"...

(Bansaku @ Jul 3 2011, 09:43 PM) 

History thus far:
- Fresh install Lion GM. CMOS reset after wake and restart. Applied new RTC patch, no CMOS reset but restart after wake.  

It would be helpful if people would head over to 'My Controls' and add your system info to your signature. This not only saves you time by not having to add it to your posts, but also gives other members an idea what you have, and thus can better help you.

Had the similar trouble on last 11A494 ... still downloading GM now.... will try....

but RTC patch "clear" CMOS reset on my ep45ds3® and ep45ds3 but no wake at all... seems lion stay sleeping... must do hard reboot/reset (not tested on ep35ds3 /-r/ -l)

before patch: wake/CMOS reset immediately when lion seems "opening his eyes"...

Well, still in trouble BUT Thanks for your hard work guys !!!

Seems I'm in confusion, Normal sleep seems to be my trouble...

With DP4 without patch, Lion had Cmos {censored} on wake...

is there a solution for ???

Thanks...

if u update to chamelleon2 rc5 svn 103x or higher the product vendor changes MANUFACTER - MANUFACTURER.

that could be part of reason for no boot..

btw my RTC is frm MB3,1 ;) no more singe ram bank error.

are you saying you managed to fix the single bank error? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "my RTC is frm MB3,1". Could you please explain better? thanks.

BTW: tseug's patch for GM works here on asus P5K Premium, no more CMOS reset after sleep, but still getting single bank error.

Will try this...

http://www.kexts.com/view/1422-sleepenable...7.0_latest.html

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1706306

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=806

hope and see...

Well seems it's working, but without Lan (must change Ip) = must be "reseted"...

and this error twice during boot:

Jul 4 23:42:07 localhost kernel[0]: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

Jul 4 23:42:07 localhost kernel[0]: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

Chameleon gives me an "incorrect image signature" if I use forcewake. I suspect Rankrotten wasn't talking about deep sleep at all.

Yes, that would be because /var/vm/sleepimage is encrypted. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1708631

Post #1 says that the developed patch is "blocking a few jumps and calls". This does not sound very safe/complete -is there a more complete explanation of the patch available somewhere, or is the underlying code still not really understood? Sorry if I missed where the underlying code was determined to really be safe to skip.

Yes, that would be because /var/vm/sleepimage is encrypted. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1708631

Makes sense. :)

Post #1 says that the developed patch is "blocking a few jumps and calls". This does not sound very safe/complete -is there a more complete explanation of the patch available somewhere, or is the underlying code still not really understood? Sorry if I missed where the underlying code was determined to really be safe to skip.

AFAIK there isn't any other way (yet) to fix the CMOS reset without using a binary patch. The latest patch change one jump to be unconditional which is about as unobtrusive as you can get with binary patching, but not having to patch at all would be nicer of course. The underlying code is not well understood, at least not by me.

With regards to safety: It's a hackintosh. It's unsafe by definition. ;)

AFAIK there isn't any other way (yet) to fix the CMOS reset without using a binary patch. The latest patch change one jump to be unconditional which is about as unobtrusive as you can get with binary patching, but not having to patch at all would be nicer of course. The underlying code is not well understood, at least not by me.
Well, good job on finding a patch that works for most people. Thanks for the info, even if it wasn't quite what I was hoping to hear :thumbsup_anim: I'd been sitting back hoping that by lion GM this would have been sorted out. Guess I'll be taking a look at those routines too...
With regards to safety: It's a hackintosh. It's unsafe by definition. :)
Sure but we can practice safe coding practices on what we do on top of apple's stuff, and with apple's stuff being pretty well vetted, have a good chance of getting something that works well, and in some cases, working better than what one can buy from apple.

@ bebop

did you use tseugs patch for the AppleRTC.kext to fix the cmos reset after sleep?

yes - he released a version for the GM in a post above..

Lion GM

Sleep works after patch but fails to wake up after sleep, need force restart or power off

But same patch worked fine DP4

There's a new tseug patch for GM - did you apply that or the DP4 patch?

Just to confirm guys - setting my RTC length to 8 in my dsdt doesn't produce a cmos reset in lion and solves the rtc single bank error.

Lion GM

Sleep works after patch but fails to wake up after sleep, need force restart or power off

But same patch worked fine DP4

There's a new tseug patch for GM - did you apply that or the DP4 patch?

Just to confirm guys - setting my RTC length to 8 in my dsdt doesn't produce a cmos reset in lion and solves the rtc single bank error.

That script is working om my GA-EP45-DS3L (OSX 10.7 Lion GM)

No more bios reset after sleep

But auto sleep dos´nt work ?

I´ve attached my dsdt.aml

So you have auto-sleep working normally withOUT the patch?