ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

I got a really good deal on this card so I decided to give it a try but Im sad to say even though it looks like its working I get no sound physically out of it. Its still a good card for a PC though. Im running 10.5.1 on the computer I installed it on so I tried it only with the Envy24.0.20.0 driver.

I have the Harrison Mixbus (Ardour collab) recording software on this computer and normally Mixbus wont open if theres no soundcard present and probably cause the Envy driver wont load then. But the case is it does open up with this card installed and I can see sound is playing in System sound so it cant be so much "off" from the Terratec cards that do work with this driver.

I guess a small donation might help :unsure: just let me know and I´ll get it done.

Tried this card in Snow Leo too, same result I see activity in system sound input so the driver is loaded but no sound play back. Tried to replace the IDs for the generic Envy24 with the IDs for this card in the plist but no luck, the driver still load though. When I replace the generic IDs with the IDs for another of the working Terratec cards the driver wont load at all. I think this shows it should be possible to make this card work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to open-source the driver due to lack of time.

Any suggestions on how to handle this, meaning: who to give the sources to or where to upload them? Perhaps someone can make a sourceforge website?

I hereby would like to thank everyone that donated and/or tested the drivers! I hope some people can continue development and fix those nasty bugs! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

since I changed my pc-case and switched the pci-slot of my soundcard the sound isn't working anymore. In the audio-setup the envy24-driver doesn't show up.

Two things I may did wrong: Booted Macos without Soundcard in pci-slot. After that I placed the soundcard in a different pci-slot than it was before.

I already reinstalled the drivers, but it didn't help.

Do you have any ideas?

EDIT: Just changed the PCI-Slot to the old one, now it's working fine again. But, what do I have to do if I want to use a different PCI-Slot?

Thank you!

Curious to see if there has been any progress made on this little corner of the soundcard world - specifically the VIA Envy24HT-S (24-bit, 192 kHz; interfaces: three output I2S/AC-links, two input I2S/AC-links)? As few might know, a number of professional sound cards (as well as a couple of consumer cards) use the Envy 24 chip and I amongst others am aching to put it to good use with OSX86 and its glorious variety of musical software.

If there's been any progress or insight into a working kext, I'd love to know. ESI-Pro actually have a driver for OSX which fails to work in OSX86 of course. They have done their research as any good company and have stated their reason for not creating an OSX86 driver - being that Intel Mac's don't and never will have standard PCI slots they don't see reason to create a driver.

Keeping in mind that an OSX driver exists, it shouldn't really be all that difficult to simply modify it into x86. Then again my knowledge of programming is close to zero, so I may be wrong, but sure as heck makes me regret giving up learning programming years ago.

Anyway, if anyone has heard anything, please do respond in here :(

serch d net there is a decent envy24 driver out there (audio-evolution.com) ill admit though they seem buggy at highest bitrate settings but they do work and sound verry good

using osx 10.6.7 64b on a m-aidio 1010lt

• 5 weeks later...

The news users quiz is very funny and it's a GREAT way to determine knowledge.

anywayz, audiodriverwriter, you rock.

The audio works fine for me (well, I only need it for sound so .. )

I will fix the other osx problems and donate :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Confirmed with M-Audio 2496 and Envy24_SL64bit_0.22 on Lion final

Hmm I have the same setup, but I'm having some stability issues with it. When I play a song using Vox (haven't tried anything else yet), it will play about 2/3 of the song then Vox will freeze. When I use a different audio interface it's fine.

Also, once when I was switching audio interfaces to use the 2496 using the volume control menu icon (option+click it and choose interface) while I had music playing, I had a hard restart. Not even a kernel panic, just rebooted.

Can anybody test if kextload after sleep ist possible?

because if I don´t unload the kext before sleep, i get a KP (the problem is already known and thats the workaround for it).

Edit:

System Log after loading:

24.07.11 23:36:30,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:36:35,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:36:41,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:36:46,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:36:51,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:36:57,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:02,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:08,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:13,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:18,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:24,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:29,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:34,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:40,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:45,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:51,000 kernel: WaitForI2C() failed!
24.07.11 23:37:56,000 kernel: This specific Envy24HT card with subvendor id ffffffff is not supported!
24.07.11 23:37:56,000 kernel: This Envy24HT driver only supports Terratec Aureon Sky, Space, Phase 22 and 28, M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1 and ESI Juli@
24.07.11 23:37:56,000 kernel: Something failed!

Thanks.

A lot of people have problems with VOX in Lion.

Interesting, I'll give it a try using a different player, though for whatever reason, Vox is working fine with my Fiio E7 USB DAC.

EDIT: It does seem to only be Vox that has the problem, though it's weird it doesn't happen when I use the Fiio. Anyway, I've just been using other players until there's an updated version of Vox available, so no biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ! I haven't posted on insanelymac for ages ! :D

What's the status of a Prodigy HD2 Grade B under 10.7, 32 and 64bits ? :)

I'm just needing the headphone out, volume control and sample control.

RCA out would be bonus...

Is our god, audiowriterdriver still around ? Or is there anyone else "in charge" ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
It does seem to only be Vox that has the problem, though it's weird it doesn't happen when I use the Fiio. Anyway, I've just been using other players until there's an updated version of Vox available, so no biggie.

No problems with the new Vox beta. So I can confirm the driver works fine with my Audiophile 2496 in Lion retail.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to report that analog output 1 is working for ESI ESP 1010 with envy24 driver loading the card as generic .

I did not test inputs yet.

edit: tested on both Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.1

Hey, patched Envy24HT kext fixing sleep/wake issues available here:

https://github.com/fredemmott/Envy24HT (click 'Downloads', then pick the .kext.tar.bz2' underneath 'Download Packages', not either of the top options)

Specific fix:

https://github.com/fredemmott/Envy24HT/comm...333396e6b9b08bb

WARNING: I've only tested this on 64-bit Lion with a Terratec Phase 22 card. Your milage may vary.

• 1 month later...
Can anybody test if kextload after sleep ist possible? because if I don´t unload the kext before sleep, i get a KP (the problem is already known and thats the workaround for it).

Hi Tuxianer. Sorry for reviving an old thread but have you (or anyone else) come up with a solution to your problem? I have the same error with my Audiophile 2496.