ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

@audiowriter:

I own a ESI Maya 44 PCI Interface an recently switched to Mac OSX. Since your driver doesn't support the card and you somewhere mentioned that it most probably never will I wanted to know if you're interested in open-sourcing your driver, so i can hack on the maya44 support? I'm new to OSX, but i did write (simple) kernelmodules for linux and with support of the alsa source i should be able to get at least basic support.

regards,

broetchenkatze

@audiowriter:

I own a ESI Maya 44 PCI Interface an recently switched to Mac OSX. Since your driver doesn't support the card and you somewhere mentioned that it most probably never will I wanted to know if you're interested in open-sourcing your driver, so i can hack on the maya44 support? I'm new to OSX, but i did write (simple) kernelmodules for linux and with support of the alsa source i should be able to get at least basic support.

I will not open source it, but if you promiss you won't release it/open source it, I can send you the code to change. I'd like to have the changes back though, although it's not required.

I will not open source it, but if you promiss you won't release it/open source it, I can send you the code to change. I'd like to have the changes back though, although it's not required.

No thanks. No offense (i'm sure you have your reasons), but I don't see the point in contributing to closed source projects. I'll sell the card and buy one that's supported by vendor drivers OOTB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have the ESI Juli@ an OSX 10.6.4,

does it works with the original driver from ESI homepage?

or do i need special drivers?

i have vlc player, does DTS work for this card, DTS = 5.1 and DTS to 2.1/2.0???

please read at least a page or so back, putting in that token effort will get you a long way... you'll find that audiodriverwriter has been quite proactive with updating and releasing drivers (so to answer your question, you will need his, not the original).

the website seems to be down at the moment but i've found drivers on kexts DOT com for envy24 which should work for you. i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a direct link on here but i just googled envy24 kext. the official one (by audiodriverwriter) comes up first and the one i found was down the page about three entries..

what i actually came on here for was to say thanks for the driver to audiodriverwriter! it seems to be working well on my m-audio delta 44 (you should have seen the grin on my face). am i right in assuming there is no control panel for mixing? i haven't got any audio software on here to test how necessary that'll be for a recording setup (i have only recently gotten into the OSX86 scene in the last few weeks, and only just completed OS setup to satisfaction today). for now i'm just happy i can listen to iTunes and chill out with my new OSX installation. thanks again

i wonder if Envy24control for linux can be ported to OSX? http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Envy24control

• 1 month later...
Is it possible to change the buffer length (latency) with these drivers?

Anyone tried using Pro Tools on these drivers?

You must change the buffer length (latency) in your DAW.

Pro Tools does not work with these drivers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi adiodriverwriter,

first big thanks for your work!

My System (Terratec TS22) freezes after wake from sleep, too.

Will there be a fix (not only the workaround posted many posts before) soon, or is there no chance to get it working?

Thank you

Hi adiodriverwriter,

first big thanks for your work!

My System (Terratec TS22) freezes after wake from sleep, too.

Will there be a fix (not only the workaround posted many posts before) soon, or is there no chance to get it working?

Thank you

I'd love to write a fix, but my machines don't enter the callback that should be called by the operating system when changing power states, or when it is called, it's not with the flags I expect. Perhaps someone can point me to some source code of a sound card driver for OSX where power state changes are correctly handled.

Thank you audiodriverwriter for all this job.

I have an audiophile 2496 and your driver is working well ( didn't try SPdif yet) under SL 10.6.5.

But same issue here, system freezes after wake from sleep. Too bad. How to find what you need for fix it ?

many greatings

Thank you audiodriverwriter for all this job.

I have an audiophile 2496 and your driver is working well ( didn't try SPdif yet) under SL 10.6.5.

But same issue here, system freezes after wake from sleep. Too bad. How to find what you need for fix it ?

many greatings

That's the big question isn't it? :)

i think ... it's just need some time.... leopard is coming soon so i guess ESI is will realese new driver))

Hope somebody can come up with a solution for my Revolution 7.1 (Envy24). So far my card had been collecting dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job on these drivers! I hope you have received many donations for all your work. I just donated.

Any possibility of input controls for Audiophile 192? Output works great. My assumption is that if the input controls become adjustable, the hardware should be selectable in Pro Tools 9 to use as a recording device. Currently it is recognized as a "playback" device in pro tools, but I can't select it in "hardware" to record TO it.

I've uploaded a special Envy24 0.22 version for SL which turns on monitoring: it also sends the audio from analogue inputs 1-2 to outputs 1-2. By lack of control panel we can't change the volume though, but perhaps it's useful for some people.

The M-Audio 192 (and 2496) don't have input controls. It would be strange though if that were the reason that Pro Tools wouldn't show the card as input capable.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I would be happy to help you in any beta testing! I dig into it yesterday and here is what I found:

There is a History.txt file in the DMX6Fire folder, which starts like this:

/*=============================================================================
  FILE:		 History.txt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  DESCRIPTION:  PHASE 88, EWS88 MT/D, EWX 24/96 and DMX6fire Driver History (WDM)
  DATE:		 31-Aug-2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  COPYRIGHT:	(c) 2000-2007, TerraTec Electronic GmbH. All Rights Reserved.
=============================================================================*/

Even if the drivers are different they couldn't be so much if the they were compiled from the same code tree.

Something more important, a part from an early DMX6Fire driver:

[TerraTec]
%DeviceName_TTP7%=TTP7.Device,PCI\VEN_1412&DEV_1712&SUBSYS_1138153B

;%DeviceName_TTP7%=TTP7.Device,PCI\VEN_1412&DEV_1712&SUBSYS_1138153B&REV_02
;FMB TEST: allow 88MT to load this driver
;%DeviceName_TTP7%=TTP7.Device,PCI\VEN_1412&DEV_1712&SUBSYS_1115153B

3. point is that all the differences in ews.c from ALSA package doesn't seem too complex (from what I understand just some different registers for initializing different parts, but that code didn't look like some complex chip controlling thing).

BTW I could install the Phase88 driver in Windows using inf modding, and the driver starts, but the volume control (in control panel) is greyed out in the same way as it is in OS X. I will see what does ASIO say about that, maybe the channels are just remapped somewhere.

UPDATE:

Using a simple dev id modding, the EWX 24/96 driver works fine with a DMX6Fire under XP! The volume control is greyed out, but everything works as it should!

Did the new Envy24 driver work with this card for osx too now? Thinking to get one of these cards.