Windoze Apps on Leopard

46 posts in this topic

errandwolfe: We are only separated by 528.

OK, let's make that 528 and your grasp on reality...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm trying to beat up IT and find out if it was Darwine or The Real Thing.

I use parallels at home, and this was definitely not parallels and didn't appear to be running in a separate window VM of any sort. (Although to be fair I don't know what any other windoze VMs look like.)

• 1 month later...

Well, Mr. Nasa IT Department told me it was the standard Leopard sample shipped to government - he has no idea how that differs from the generic sneak peek big cat that was handed out in August.

And big thanks to the guy that emailed me pointing out that Apple's website says as much:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/fast.html

"Plus, since Apple designs and tests the operating system and new hardware at the same time, the company can optimize software and hardware to work well together. That means on such well-designed hardware, that MacBook Pro runs even some Windows software faster than PCs themselves, according to third party results.

(They’re able to get these results with beta software from the next version of Mac OS X, Leopard. Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.)"

Note that this is in Leopard and does not say: "Running in Bootcamp/XP/some other VM."

So, being as this is published on the Apple website, why is it apparently such a big secret?

(Witness all the flak I received for suggesting it... :sorcerer: )

I think that's interesting.

A lot of opensource projects are still running around Mac OS X and Darwin, for example Darwine.

I thought this:

You certainly heard about ReactOS, an opensource operating system based on a total rewriting of Windows APIs that collaborates with the Wine project. ReactOS can actually run a lot of things, 2D or 3D, games like Quake and Unreal Tournament and suites like OpenOffice and Photoshop. So, if ReactOS is collaborating with Wine, and Wine is collaborating with his porting for Darwin called Darwine, and Darwine is a part of the opensource community of Apple, it's not impossible that Apple should develop Darwine and push it forward on a very extended compatibility with Windows APIs.

Sherry Haibara

You never know what Apple is cooking up over at Cupertino. Remember what they said at WWDC, they were keeping some of the new features a secret so that their "competitors" wouldn't copy their ideas. I guess we'll have to wait until next spring to find out the truth.

yeah, but seriously, if apple ever did that it would be execution for most osx apps. most developers are going to quit developing "mac" apps and just put them in windows format. less dev time and they still hit two markets. some might say that they will keep developing mac apps, but the larger corporations would just switch to all windows because they are only interested in ca$h.

only way i know to do that now are apps like crossover, but half the time they still don't work and their range of usefulness is very limited. there aren't that many apps that those programs will run, at least in my experiece.

I guess it is believe able that apple has included a modded darwine in some special builds of leapord, but I think it wouldn't be a huge loss if they didn't. Crossover and darwine will get alot better... It is only a matter of time.

I guess it is believe able that apple has included a modded darwine in some special builds of leapord, but I think it wouldn't be a huge loss if they didn't. Crossover and darwine will get alot better... It is only a matter of time.

that's what i'm afraid of, that they will get too good. that means possible wide spread use, and that means goodbye mac apps.

OK, being hypothetical here, say if I worked for a branch of the government and was asked by IT to bring my main apps over and they loaded them on an iMac and asked me to try them out and they all worked fine.

No, they wouldn't give me a copy, said the machine came loaded and without disks.

Two years ago, I posted on a forum that a friend of mine, who knows the Apple boss for Germany, told me

that OSX was already able to run on x86 architecture. he said that Apple already has an OSX version for

X86 in the drawer, but made a contract with MS not to publish it, yet. So I posted that 'rumor'.

I think you can imagine the reactions of the people in that thread. Needless to say that no one believed me.

:( Actually, I knew that this would happen, so I tactically wrote it like "blabla... I know it sounds like BS,

but I heard that..."

So as we all know now, my source information wasn't wrong. That's why I wouldn't say that your story is

definately not true or so. Anything is possible.

:P

xtraa: Thanks for a sanity check, the rest of you guys just crack me up.

let's recap this evil rumor:

IT calls and asks me to bring my main apps over to their building.

They sit me down in front of an iMac and help me to install.

Everything works, looks like aqua to me.

Several other engineers from other disciplines were there doing the same thing.

My apologies as this apparently offended some very touchy religious sensibilities.

I look forward to the gasps of surprise next year when Steve says, "Oh yeah, there is one more thing... "

:D

I dont think anyone's saying it's impossible or undesirable, just that anecdotal evidence really isnt evidence. You can expound on how a government agency you work for is reverse-engineering alien technology or has working cold-fusion. However, for all we know, you're 13 and spank your monkey as you pretend to be an advanced governmental hax0r.

EDIT: I'm not against 13yos spanking their monkey in any way, shape, or form. FYI.

• 2 weeks later...
I could tell you where I work, the division and the apps involved but I would like to keep working there, especially as it now looks like I get a mac next year...

If you worked for some super undercover cant-be-named branch of the government, you could afford your own mac.