[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

If you have popping sound, then it is very likely that you have problem with speed step. MacBookPro5,4 or in my case MacBookPro5,5 are the best options for us. I am telling this based on my own and Valv's experiences. You can see what I got working in that post. Almost everything is working perfectly.

Today, I am planing to finish the post that I have been writing if I can finish the writing for my PhD.

Then you could try it yourself.

As you say then, i will wait for your guide but also try Mammoths and give him feedback. I hope there i no popping sound with your method.

EDIT: tried MacBookPro5,4 - P8700 plist. still get the same error. it seems to be the bootloader. Anyway to fix this Mammoth? I really prefer mammoths method!

Hello,

1st, thank you very much for the work and effort put into this v2 release.

One thing that confuses me, my dv7 is almost 100% working.

C and Pstates not working.

automatic audio switcher (line/speaker).

Now, i understand these can be fixed with the DSDT, and i was waiting for v2, hoping for the solution, but i am more confused than anything now. did i miss a document that would fix my dsdt properly?

As you say then, i will wait for your guide but also try Mammoths and give him feedback. I hope there i no popping sound with your method.

EDIT: tried MacBookPro5,4 - P8700 plist. still get the same error. it seems to be the bootloader. Anyway to fix this Mammoth? I really prefer mammoths method!

There is no such a thing as "my method". You should use Mammoth's guide to install OSX, my suggestion was primarily about the files and options you should use for your laptop.

Below is my boot.plist. I am using the latest version of AnVaL. Change Theme and Default Partition according to your need. Leave the rest as it is. I say it again, I don't know about the installation process neither do I know which files or fixes are included in Manmath's guide. But I suggest you use the files I said once you have managed to install OSX. I hope it is clear now.

Do not use any kext or fix which are related to speed step and power management apart from the smbios.plist above, AnVaL and the following keys in your boot.plist unless you have found something better. You'll get P and C States working. This will boot into x64 Bit by default, change Kernel Flags to arch=i386 for 32 Bit if needed.

*BTW, I assume that you have fixed RTC, HPET, TMR etc and are ready to use vanilla speed step. If not, please refer to Mald0n.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,1)</string>
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EnableC6State</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>FixFSB</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>FixTM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rescan Prompt</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>SnowKitty</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UpdateACPI</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseMemDetect</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Wait</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Wake</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>minVolt</key>
<string>850</string>
<key>oemAPIC</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemASFT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemDMAR</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemMCFG</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hey Mammoth,

I am getting the error "Mac OS X Cannot be Installed on this computer"

I do have 10.6.3 Retail DVD.

What can be the problem?

Attached is the boot screen and also the error. it comes right after i select my language. this is the same DVD i have used for all my other installs. i have formatted my internal HD just to be sure and still this problem persists! Hope to find a solution! Pls help!

Hey KiD KuN,

I've never seen THAT one before, or hear of anyone else having it. I did some Googling and found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=590753

Take a look and see if any of those apply to you and let me know.

Good job Mammoth.(Finally an appropriate avatar!!!!!). :D :D

Waiting for DV6 images.

Also 10.6.7 released,so

@Taptun

Waiting for your kernel fixes for x64 bit.

Yes, I know what you mean about the avatar! :P I made a commitment to change it once I was able to launch v2.00.

I am working and testing with 10.6.7 now, and will report results. I also had the chance to sit back and ready one of the guides leisurely and saw I had several type-Os, etc. :) So I am already starting the edits for the next release. Sorry for the errors, but I was really rushed towards the end to get it released so.... Really looking for comments and suggestions once you have them.

I will go back through the thread and find the posts of people who submitted DSDTs and info so I can start working on getting good DSDTs for machines and creating MIIFs for them. I will need to work with NIXin on this as his schedule and time permits.

Hopefully Taptun can get us the updated kernel soon (HE'S THE MAN!), but until then, we would have to boot with cpus=1

Hp Pavillion dv6 3152ss

I'm having a lot of problems trying to install mac osx...

first of all i don't know if i have to delete system and restore partitions...

i installed macosx and it goes ok but when i reboot, i have proglems, in windows bootmgr, now nothing, im trying to fix the error but i can't even enter to windows to restore my files!!! please help

All of those issues are covered in the guides. :(

The only thing is that you have a DV6 and we haven't posted any DV6 DSDTs or MIIFs yet. Do you have a good DSDT already for your machine? Which MIIF did you download and try? If you have a DSDT, have tried adding it your MIIF?

Make sure you read ALL of the guides. I know it's a lot of info, but it's all right there. You will save more time and frustration by going through them, taking notes, and then attempting to install.

been reading the guides for the past hour, so happy for 2.0 Getting ready to pursue the auto-patcher but there is nothing listed for the dv7's, wondering if using the dv6 or 8 would work better for my system, i think im going to compile both and see which one works the best.

**EDIT**

just to let everyone know who may be wondering i used the dv8 auto patch and maldons autopatcher gave me a lot of errors, i then compiled with the dv6 autopatch and it completed successfully, havent been able to verify if it works correctly in osx yet but that will be later today!

Hi Franky_402,

EVERYONE, it is VERY important that you use the Auto-patcher on your own machine! NIXin has warned us that using a DSDT from a machine with a different processor (i.e. you have an i3 and you are trying to use something intended for an i7) can FRY YOUR CPU! Be VERY aware of this! It's ok to try ANY DSDT from any other machine SO LONG as they have the same processor class (i.e. i3, or i5, or i7), but DON'T mix them!

Using the DV6 should work, but we have to work with NIXin to create a patch pack for your machine OR don't forget you can submit to MaLd0n and may create them for you! ;) You should try MaLd0n first, and if he creates one, then NIXin can look at putting the finishing touches on it.

@Mammoth i will create a version that suits my machine and will add it to this section, will make sure to get everything working as close as possible then release it. thanks

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it (as I'm sure others now are too)!

;)

@Mammoth,

It seems to be the SMBIOS.plist that is causing the problem.

When i use the smbios.plist from your v1.5 from the preboot image

my dvd loads. With the default SMBIOS you have given it doesnt work.

Can you pls give me a good SMBIOS?

Check out the link I posted in your previous message first, and let me know how that goes.

I was really hoping yours would work perfectly since we already had a DSDT FROM your machine.

Everyone, I was expecting this. We need to work together now to create good DSDTs and MIIFs for each machine. Once we do this, everyone else who has your machine will have a perfect and easy install. We are laying new ground here, so be patient.

Because I have a DV8t-1100, it was easy for me to create everything perfect. Those with DV8s should have a flawless install. Please let me know if this is true.

Everyone else, patience; we'll get there.

;)

Mammuth,

While I have 2 drives, could I just remove may primary(w7) drive, then move secondary to primary slot, install OSX, then connect my W7 drive in to the secondary slot and boot from chameleon to my w7?

Thanks for V2 :D

And I will try your DSDT, since we have the same BIOS , that's what I think ;)

//Peter

Hi Peter_sm!

Please try switching the drives as you mention! I have been waiting for someone to do exactly that to let us ALL know if that works. I'm thinking it will.

There is a procedure in the guides for how to bring back Windows 7 if it appears to get "lost". Basically, that procedure is just to reinstall Chameleon again.

Yes, the DV8 MIIF SHOULD work perfectly for your machine, especially if you verify we are using the same BIOS.

Be sure to backup your system first!!

Eagerly awaiting all of your test results....

:D

Try the followings. For power management and speed step, use AnVaL. Follow up this post as your laptop is almost identical to HDX. I repeated this a few times. I suggest you don't reinvent the wheel as we already did.

Power Management and SpeedStep will work perfectly with v2.00 once a clean DSDT is created for a machine and NIXin helps us apply Auto-patcher patch files.

I actually have some he generated for us before, but I think more work is needed I am going to post them in the hour, so you can all try them. We have some for:

DV6 w/ i3, i5, and i7

But these are works in progress!

@JBraddock,

I had no idea what "AnVal" was and never had time to look into it, but I know you have talked about it a lot. Well, I just looked at it, and it is a totally different boot loader, as you know. Not cool. We use Chameleon here. AnVal is also an automated kext installer, if you've read my guides, you know I'm opposed to these, and I detail why in my guides.

I also see that you are advocating placing .kext files into /S/L/E/, which we DO NOT do with Mammoth method. What a person does when he or she makes such suggestions is hijacking a thread. You are recommending things that are antithetical to our process. This is uncool, really. If it's working great for your HDX that's great, but you need to keep that in your own thread and promote your way of doing things there. I promise I will not come to your thread and start telling people to do things an opposite way. You are injecting confusion and I work very hard on my guides to prevent just that. This amounts to disrespecting forum thread edict here.

Now if you want to suggest particular aspects that are NOT contrary to our methodology (such as recommending SMBIOS.plist entries) that's great. Kind of like the way I helped you with your issues when you asked. We are looking for people to help with OUR way of doing things here, not someone else's.

I can't stress enough about the importance of people NOT hijacking threads.

There is no such a thing as "my method". You should use Mammoth's guide to install OSX, my suggestion was primarily about the files and options you should use for your laptop.

Below is my boot.plist. I am using the latest version of AnVaL. Change Theme and Default Partition according to your need. Leave the rest as it is. I say it again, I don't know about the installation process neither do I know which files or fixes are included in Manmath's guide. But I suggest you use the files I said once you have managed to install OSX. I hope it is clear now.

Do not use any kext or fix which are related to speed step and power management apart from the smbios.plist above, AnVaL and the following keys in your boot.plist unless you have found something better. You'll get P and C States working. This will boot into x64 Bit by default, change Kernel Flags to arch=i386 for 32 Bit if needed.

*BTW, I assume that you have fixed RTC, HPET, TMR etc and are ready to use vanilla speed step. If not, please refer to Mald0n.

There ARE different ways of doing things, and we all know that. Your "primary suggestion" was also to use AnVal!

"I don't know about the installation process neither do I know which files or fixes are included in Manmath's guide."

Seriously JB? You haven't even read the guides or know what files we use, but you're here handing out advice and asking people to "come over to your method (which you don't have)"?

If you have popping sound, then it is very likely that you have problem with speed step. MacBookPro5,4 or in my case MacBookPro5,5 are the best options for us. I am telling this based on my own and Valv's experiences. You can see what I got working in that post. Almost everything is working perfectly.

Today, I am planing to finish the post that I have been writing if I can finish the writing for my PhD.

Then you could try it yourself.

The "popping sound" issue has been around for awhile and is experienced on many other manufacturers machines and other methods.

@JBraddock,

I had no idea what "AnVal" was and never had time to look into it, but I know you have talked about it a lot. Well, I just looked at it, and it is a totally different boot loader, as you know. Not cool. We use Chameleon here. AnVal is also an automated kext installer, if you've read my guides, you know I'm opposed to these, and I detail why in my guides.

I also see that you are advocating placing .kext files into /S/L/E/, which we DO NOT do with Mammoth method. What your are in affect doing is hijacking this thread. You are recommending things that are antithetical to our process. This is uncool, really. If it's working great for your HDX that's great, but you need to keep that in your own thread and promote your way of doing things there. I promise I will not come to your thread and start telling people to do things an opposite way. You are interjecting confusion and I work very hard on my guides to prevent just that. You are really disrespecting forum edict here.

Now if you want to suggest particular aspects that are NOT contrary to our methodology (such as recommending SMBIOS.plist entries) that's great. We are looking for people to help with OUR way of doing things, not someone else's.

I can't stress enough about thread hijacking.... not happy about this at all.

:D

I am really shocked to hear all these stuff. I have been suggesting your thread every time someone sends me a pm as to how to install OSX. Every time someone asks me a question about the installation process, I suggest them to take a look at your thread as I seem to have forgotten all those things in installation process. I only installed OSX twice in the last two years and that's why I never suggest anything unless I am pretty sure about it.

post-562417-1300821060_thumb.png

Also, I should remind you that I have asked if you allow me to give a back link to your guide for the installation process. It appears that all these stuff didn't mean anything to you.

I remind you that I only and specifically ask KiD KuN to try AnVaL and that's for a reason. He doesn't have the same configuration you have here. He has P8700 CPU and 9600M GT and ICH9 chipset. I have only 4 kexts installed which are under Extra folder and if someone prefers VoodooHDA over AppleHDA you can add one more to Extra folder. I have never advocated to install kexts into S/L/E. I have managed to get all these stuff working with just four kexts and I would expect you to appreciate my efforts if not ineeded praise and try to incorporate these things into your guide for HP users with ICH9 chipset and Penry CPU.

I did again specifically mention that KiD KuN should use your method to install OSX but once he has managed to install OSX he should try the kexts files I suggested. Whether you accept it or not this might be the best combination out there for HP users with ICH9. And it is not my success as I put it in my guide. We are all here to share something.

I can go on like this but it is all pointless after you have put it that way. There is no such a thing as my thread and if you ever care to come to that thread and post something that refutes the information I am giving, I would only appreciate and apologise and correct myself. The below is the last thing that someone would ever need to tell me. I don't see any problem with people suggesting the opposite of what I am saying as long as it has a truth element in it.

I promise I will not come to your thread and start telling people to do things an opposite way.

You really gave me a lesson and I learned it from the hard way. Whenever I wrote something here in this forum, for me it was like a payback of what I have learned from this forum. I always felt obliged to do that. How could I not share something that I have solved? You would have to kill me for that.

And, yet, you proved that I am so stupid enough to come and write all those things in the middle of my PhD deadline. Ah god.

I wish you all best of luck,

Edit:

I have seen these later.

The "popping sound" issue has been around for awhile and is experienced on many other manufacturers machines and other "methods".

I have the same sound chipset with KiD Kun and that's why I suggested that there might be a problem with speed step. Because I have never had that problem.

Seriously JB? You haven't even read the guides or know what files we use, but you're here handing out advice and asking people to "come over to your method (which you don't have)"? WOW, you have some nerve.

I decided to write all those stuff in case someone might need it. I don't care if people come to so-called my thread or neither do I care if it is not that active. You seem to have forgotten that I'd told you that when you release v2, I'll create an usb installation drive with the kexts I am using and again, I asked your permission for this.

If Chameleon was your work then I would never ever suggest AnVaL in this thread. AnVaL is one of the branches of Chameleon RC5.

AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS ADDED!

Auto-patcher Patch Packs (brought to us by NIXin!) have been posted in the new AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS library.

These are for:

DV8 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (Already generated DSDT that's included in DV8 MIIF .01)

DV6 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (You can use this to generate a near perfect DSDT!)

Do NOT use these with i3 or i5 systems unless you want to potentially bake your i3 or i5 CPU!

NOTE: NIXin and I were previously working on generating more Patch Packs, but I had to turn my attention and focus on v2.00 and the guides. When he has time, we will pick it up again and get more posted.

Hi Franky_402,

EVERYONE, it is VERY important that you use the Auto-patcher on your own machine! NIXin has warned us that using a DSDT from a machine with a different processor (i.e. you have an i3 and you are trying to use something intended for an i7) can FRY YOUR CPU! Be VERY aware of this! It's ok to try ANY DSDT from any other machine SO LONG as they have the same processor class (i.e. i3, or i5, or i7), but DON'T mix them!

Using the DV6 should work, but we have to work with NIXin to create a patch pack for your machine OR don't forget you can submit to MaLd0n and may create them for you! :D You should try MaLd0n first, and if he creates one, then NIXin can look at putting the finishing touches on it.

I was using the auto-patcher on my machine i was trying to say that the options for the auto-patcher only included the dv6, dv8, and the hdx. When i used auto-patcher to compile my dsdt with the dv8 option it completed with errors and when i used the dv6 option it completed successfully with no errors that im aware of. Auto-patcher states the dv6 is for the i7 chipsets. I have not tried to install osx yet with v 2.0 guides as i have not fully read everything and dont want to start blind. Also i though back in the old thread nixin had already created dsdt's for people to try with your guides..are those not correct for this install method.. I have no idea about dsdt patching really, i used the auto-patcher just now to create my dsdt with the dv6 autopatch and will be testing it later tonight to see what i find, i guess the good thing is once a better dsdt is created for my machine i can just swap it out. Thanks for all the help and things you do for the community

I am really shocked to hear all these stuff. I have been suggesting your thread every time someone sends me a pm as to how to install OSX. Every time someone asks me a question about the installation process, I suggest them to take a look at your thread as I seem to have forgotten all those things in installation process. I only installed OSX twice in the last two years and that's why I never suggest anything unless I am pretty sure about it.

post-562417-1300821060_thumb.png

Also, I should remind you that I have asked if you allow me to give a back link to your guide for the installation process. It appears that all these stuff didn't mean anything to you.

I remind you that I only and specifically ask KiD KuN to try AnVaL and that's for a reason. He doesn't have the same configuration you have here. He has P8700 CPU and 9600M GT and ICH9 chipset. I have only 4 kexts installed which are under Extra folder and if someone prefers VoodooHDA over AppleHDA you can add one more to Extra folder. I have never advocated to install kexts into S/L/E. I have managed to get all these stuff working with just four kexts and I would expect you to appreciate my efforts if not ineeded praise and try to incorporate these things into your guide for HP users with ICH9 chipset and Penry CPU.

I did again specifically mention that KiD KuN should use your method to install OSX but once he has managed to install OSX he should try the kexts files I suggested. Whether you accept it or not this might be the best combination out there for HP users with ICH9. And it is not my success as I put it in my guide. We are all here to share something.

I can go on like this but it is all pointless after you have put it that way. There is no such a thing as my thread and if you ever care to come to that thread and post something that refutes the information I am giving, I would only appreciate and apologise and correct myself. The below is the last thing that someone would ever need to tell me. I don't see any problem with people suggesting the opposite of what I am saying as long as it has a truth element in it.

You really gave me a lesson and I learned it from the hard way. Whenever I wrote something here in this forum, for me it was like a payback of what I have learned from this forum. I always felt obliged to do that. How could I not share something that I have solved? You would have to kill me for that.

And, yet, you proved that I am so stupid enough to come and write all those things in the middle of my PhD deadline. Ah god.

I wish you all best of luck,

JBraddock,

Perhaps this has been a big misunderstanding, and if so, I am sorry for that. Misunderstandings are easy to have in written form. I have been misunderstood, and others have misunderstood me.

You have mentioned contrary methods many times, not just this time. I checked your link, and in your own post, you do say to put kext files in /S/L/E/, so I am not misunderstanding about that.

Perhaps if you want to send someone personal recommendations, you do so through a PM.

With KiD KuN's machine, NIXin and I worked on getting a custom DSDT for his machine as a BETA tester, I realize you did not know this, but suggesting he change his configuration is messing up our testing. This is why NO ONE should suggest methods that are opposite to the method in use. This is an open forum. When you post things, there are people that will go "Oh, I'll try that", not understanding at all the ramifications.

You really should NOT be making recommendations without even knowing the method being used! That's like someone wanting to practice medicine without ever going to school for it. You are handing out prescriptions without knowing the patient or their medical history. Then you are putting the burden back on me when people tell me things aren't working. Now I have to waste time trying to figure out what happened, and this could take days or cause people to have to reinstall because they have no idea what was done to their system. This is the primary reason why I hate all the "auto-do-everything" installers.

Please try to be empathetic here and see it from my side; I've been working for months on this and frankly am wore out. Then right away someone comes and starts telling people to do something different. It's like someone coming into your home and rearranging your furniture without asking.

I'm sure you're a nice person and you didn't mean any harm, but as they say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I think you were genuinely trying to help, but didn't realize all the aspects and how it might look to others. I am trying to help people too. But I put a lot of work into it and I research a lot before I begin sharing information. The only thing worse than no information is misinformation. This is VERY technical stuff here, and you can't just start throwing this and that at a problem hoping to fix it.

I really hope you can see my points and see how someone could view your posts and take offense to them as I have. If you can, then I can easily apologize for my misunderstand your intentions and chalk this up as a learning experience for both of us. I am a sensitive person and once my buttons are pushed, it becomes quite apparent.

Let's do this, if you see what I'm talking about and understand, and agree with me and feel that editing out portions of your post would be a good idea, then I will be more than happy to do the same with mine, and as far as I will be concerned, all will be forgiven and put in the past.

Again, sorry I got so upset about this; now I realize I should have sent you a PM first, so sorry I didn't think of that at the time. :D

I hope you see this, and I hope you stay a part of our thread here. You have been very helpful! And sorry to everyone else too; I can be very touchy, and I know that's not a good thing. :P

UPDATE: I have just edited my previous posts. :|

@Mammoth,

I would like to apologise since i felt bad as well. sorry! misunderstanding happen and it is human nature! i tried the link you gave me! no dice! so ive created two MIID's, One with the default smbios.plist that you provided and one from v1.5 that works. So i will use the v1.5 smbios.plist to install and from 1st boot use the default one. dont know if you get me!! but yeah :)

@Mammoth,

I would like to apologise since i felt bad as well. sorry! misunderstanding happen and it is human nature! i tried the link you gave me! no dice! so ive created two MIID's, One with the default smbios.plist that you provided and one from v1.5 that works. So i will use the v1.5 smbios.plist to install and from 1st boot use the default one. dont know if you get me!! but yeah :)

Thanks, but no apology necessary. ;) Like I said, based on his response I think JBraddock is a really good guy who was just trying to help, and I do appreciate that. I'm very sleep deprived these days and even more touchy than normal. :) I feel really bad!

Wow, that's very interesting, and makes me wonder what that's all about. :)

I will compare the two and see if I can figure it out. I will be very interested to know if this happens to others.

Very glad you found a work around and you are the first to demonstrate how nice it is that you can make changes on the fly; I'm already loving it! :D

Please let me know ASAP if you get a successful install!

Quick question

1) Just reading through the guides and Guide 3 "P3_Installation_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf" on page 4/6 since when is simply entering "/Volumes/Cham/Finish" an executable command. That is just listing a folder location isn't it? :s

2) That command is obviously relating to your 1st Cham partition which is merely a copy of your CIIF and the CIIF has no folder or file within it entitled "Finish" either...??

QUICK EDIT REGARDING 2nd question [solved]: Just realised the CIIF is within the MIID at installation/CIIF/ l guess... shall find out in a min when I start installing

Ok l've found one (or 2) very important issues which l'm not sure how anybody else hasn't as it's installation breaking??

When you come to the final step after install where you type

"/Volumes/Cham/Finish"

It fails and says it can't find the folder. Because it truly can't because the Cham partition, which you first made and called Cham is no longer called Cham as you have now since restored the CIIF from your MIID and this automatically renames the partition CIIF.

So instead typing

"/Volumes/CIIF/Finish" suddenly works and that partition is now bootable.

HOWEVER, I then try to boot my newly installed "Macintosh HD" partition and to which it complains it can't find "taptun1063_kernel" see picture below...

19950610150451589150576.jpg

And some more answers, weird answers at that tho lol.

I decided to try the "taptun1066_kernel" flag at launch and it booted but complained of version mismatch as expected as the OS X is 10.6.3.

So as a little experiment I then renamed the the 1063 kernel to "taptun1066_kernel" again within the root of Macintosh HD. Rebooted, reapplied the taptun1066_kernel and it worked, no mismatch LOL. So i changed the boot.plist to have the 1066_kernel as default instead of 1063_kernel and it boots every time. So it's not the 1063 kernel that's wrong but what, the file name it doesn't like. I'm very confused about this one but still happy it works?! :S

P.S. I realise this isn't a massive show stopper, as in theory you'll be carrying on with guide 4 with the 10.6.6 update and naturally using the 10.6.6 kernel. But first you need to be able to boot the taptun10.6.3 kernel and it seems not possible without this little "trick"???

@Mammoth!!

SUCCESS!!! I had a successful install. Firstly I will tell you how I did it, had a couple of things that are not working and things that I noticed.

Initially the V2.00 did not work for me until I did not replace the SMBIOS.plist in the extra folder.

I got the SMBIOS.plist from the "preboot.dmg" file from the Mammoth V1.5 Boot CD. This file was copied to the V2.00 MIID(in to the extra folder). I then booted the in to the installer, executed the "installer log" trick.

Now as noted by another user, it is not "/Volumes/Cham/Finish" It is "/Volumes/CIIF/Finish"

As expected the "/Volumes/CIIF/Finish" command installed the bootloader to the internal disk drive and it was the Macpro3,1 SMBIOS.plist provided by default during installation. So during my first boot I used the bootloader on the internal drive and there I am sitting on my OS X Destop.

I also successfully updated to 10.6.6 and i am using chocolate kernel. In theory it might look complicated but it is not as complicated.

Now the things that are not working are:

# Audio: I followed what the guide said and "enableaudio" was run before 10.6.6 COMBO update restart. Despite all that, i get a grayed out volume control. In system preferences i get "No output device" I think this is because Mammoth your audio chip is "IDT 92HD75B3" and mine is "IDT 92HD71B7" so if possible can Taptun and/or you please look in to this and get back to me.

# Brightness: My brightness controls dont work. Both controls( Fn+F7 or F8) or using the application in the guide. ( What must be causing this, i also wanted a fix this !)

# HDMI: When i connect my HDMI cable, the screen goes blank for a second then comes back. In display it does see "LG TV" but even thought i try mirror or not, all resolution there is no display on the TV, more like there is no signal, but the laptop can see the TV, otherwise it would not have said "LG TV" (wanted to fix this but i guess i will have to wait till my audio) if fix available please let me know!

NB: The smbios.plist used by me (obtained from Mammoth V1.5 Boot CD) was "MacBookPro6,2"

Also attached are the images showing the OS X desktop. One is a screenshot, one of my laptop showing the desktop.

Once Again Thanks to Mammoth,NIxin,Taptun and Mald0n! And all the other people that made this possible. It is the most stable system I have ever had. Thanks to Mammoth for On-the-fly editing of files since it is all USB based.

Hope to get everything fixed soon so that i can use this as my main machine!

post-40940-1300835882_thumb.jpg

post-40940-1300836053_thumb.jpg

To reiterate what KiD KuN has just posted:

I have just finished updating to 10.6.6 YES THANKYOU LOL

And to reiterate the CIIF finish thingy is needed. The 10.6.3 kernel is strangely not working, at least for me, but 10.6.6 kernel works fine after 10.6.6 update. And audio is fine, lan is fine after running the lan program from the old mammoth boot disk. graphics fine, cpu fine.

A few queries:

1) In activity monitor I only see 1 cpu. Haven't we got all the cpus/cores working??

2) The audio from the speakers is noticeably "duller" than under windows, a driver problem or my own setup or DSDT perhaps, any advice? thanks

@Mammoth i will make a MIIF soon, with DSDT fixes I get my DVD Burner back, Memory Card reader works, HP Web camera works out of the box. Currently have my ATI 5650 working 1366x768 Internal LCD with VGA as Extended via Uakari FB. QE/CI so i'm on a good path to getting things going. Also Audio shows up with HDMI port. Good results. Havn't looked at your version 2 but will very soon.

got an error trying to restore the miif to my usb drive saying it couldnt find any restore info, so im redownling again probably just a bad download, will let you know how it goes!

EDIT

when i go to scan for a restore image it says it has failed because the file does not exist, the drive i have it on is formatted NTFS so i suspect this to be the problem, trying it on a fat32 drive now!

**EDIT**

That was indeed the case, i was using a spare hdd i had to copy the miid over but it was formatted with ntfs and didnt think it was going to be a problem since disk util was able to browse the entire drive. I copied the file over to my evo and then scanned the file and it worked like a charm.. So anyone else having a similar problem you must use a HFS or Fat32 drive for this process

Just to correct/update myself. When I download+install "menumeters" it shows 8 different CPUs instead of just 1 like in Activity Monitor. So l guess all 8 are working?!

@pablo101 and Mammoth, That is because 720QM has 4 cores, 8 threads. are you using legacy or mach kernel with RC5 apic cpu fix? from meklorts branch?

What RC5 are you running in v2.00? How did you manage to fix the CPU apic kernel panic, Are you using Legacy inside v2 or mach kernel?

@pablo101 and Mammoth, That is because 720QM has 4 cores, 8 threads. are you using legacy or mach kernel with RC5 apic cpu fix? from meklorts branch?

What RC5 are you running in v2.00? How did you manage to fix the CPU apic kernel panic, Are you using Legacy inside v2 or mach kernel?

I *guess* we are using the legacy kernel however it is modified and has been renamed by mammoth to "taptun..." you'll have to ask mammoth why.

I'll let you know of the chameleon RC5 in 1 sec when I reboot :) I didn't need to fix any CPU APIC KP, again ask mammoth, he has built the boot disk which is highly customised for our machines...

AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS ADDED!

Auto-patcher Patch Packs (brought to us by NIXin!) have been posted in the new AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS library.

These are for:

DV8 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (Already generated DSDT that's included in DV8 MIIF .01)

DV6 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (You can use this to generate a near perfect DSDT!)

Hey Mammoth.

I did send you the updated auto patchers, for i3, i5, i7, don't you remember? :)

Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that.

EVERYONE, it is VERY important that you use the Auto-patcher on your own machine! NIXin has warned us that using a DSDT from a machine with a different processor (i.e. you have an i3 and you are trying to use something intended for an i7) can FRY YOUR CPU! Be VERY aware of this!

This used to be true. Many people have used wrong DSDTs working, but I wouldn't recommend it. The new auto-patched ones I did, shouldn't damage the computer, but some risk is there.

The older ones had speedstepping for a specific CPU that could actually damage it. The new ones don't have that part because it's autogenerated by the efi boot loader (cham/anval).

You also need to regenerate DSDTs after changing RAM memory sticks.

Mammuth,

While I have 2 drives, could I just remove may primary(w7) drive, then move secondary to primary slot, install OSX, then connect my W7 drive in to the secondary slot and boot from chameleon to my w7?

Thanks for V2 :D

And I will try your DSDT, since we have the same BIOS , that's what I think :(

//Peter

Hello Peter_sm,

I´ve also got 2 internal HDs and I am going to do it the same way as you. At the moment, I have W7 on the secondary drive and I boot with a bootloader and no problem, so I think that after installing SL on the primary drive it will work the same. I have been getting everything ready and this afthernoon (spanish time) I will try the instalation.

Chao

PD: to everyone in the forum THANK YOU, GRACIAS, ESKERRIK ASKO, MERCY, DANKE... You are great :D

Hey Mammoth.

I did send you the updated auto patchers, for i3, i5, i7, don't you remember? :(

Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that.

This used to be true. Many people have used wrong DSDTs working, but I wouldn't recommend it. The new auto-patched ones I did, shouldn't damage the computer, but some risk is there.

The older ones had speedstepping for a specific CPU that could actually damage it. The new ones don't have that part because it's autogenerated by the efi boot loader (cham/anval).

You also need to regenerate DSDTs after changing RAM memory sticks.

Hi NIXin,

I have seen your work in the auto patcher section under the new release/updates section. Regarding your auto patcher there are a few things which I might ask, inside your patch text file there are quite a few patches which don't related to my machine to give you a few examples. J384 - my machine dont have firewire, also nasty hack for dv6 not related to my dv6, all of fix 1 does not match my machine. IDT Sound is diff model, also the Realtek LAN fix does not work if used. its 8168 not 8169 card. Is there a way to change your script to check if it matches the machine if not dont apply patch?

Yes i can do it manually but it would be good to run automatically and check if or if not does it apply to a certain spec dv6 model.

Would you like me to correct my DSDT and send to you so you can add DV6-3132TX to your list of automatic updates the DSDT?

Also regarding speedstepping newer versa older what do you mean different revision Core i7 720QM chips? Speedstepping and Turbo seems to work fine here, temps are ok for this type of chip.

@mammoth or @NIXin: I have downloaded your auto-patcher which appears as a .txt how do I "run" it per se? any instructions??

DSDT-Editor Mac will run the patches from the text file, Open the program, Click Extract DSDT. Click Patch -> New then cut and paste the DSDT patches that match your machine.