[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

I'm using the dsdt you posted with the dock video cardmfix and stuf. After I deleted it, everything works:) im using mostly the files you posted vlad. Everything seems good :D is it safe to install I life and I life only updates?!?! Also, can I back all this up and restore in case using time machine?!?

In general, what updates to avoid from the apple updater?????

By the way, thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Its a little strange though, it boots most of the time fine, but at times i do get the grey power off the screen thing durring boot. Other times it boots just fine. In verbouse it never runs into any panic or anything from the looks of it.

EDIT: Sadly Enough, i am getting 3200ish on geek bench 2.1.7 on 64 bit and 2700ish on 32 bit :D

EDIT2: Another thing i noticed is my GPU says that its 435 and only 2 gbs in the about this mac, is it normal to give faulty info there?

EDIT3: I did a complete reinstall and used mainly the files from Vlad, my geek is normal, just under 5200. So all good there. Things are running smooth for a few hours now and i am genuinely surprised how well everything is working.

The last issue is still the EDIT 2, the GPU shows as 435 and only 2GBs on ram. And I cant seem to eject the DVD drive, any idea how to do it?

Vlad, i would really recommend packaging your Extra, the magnification fix, DSDT and plist, and video driver, and other stuff and post it in a pack. Seems like the latest stuff and works great.

Okay so after a while, the laptop seems to run hot, espesially the GPU, left palm rest. And I can only get it to boot in verbose mode and every 2nd time I get a kernel panic. In the "Activity Monitor", my cpu seems to be pretty much idle, and ram usage is low so im assuming the heat is created by the GPU. Any ideas on both?!

Also how do i get rid of Voodo so i can use AppleHDA you provided vlad?

post-809673-1307679741_thumb.jpg

Okay so after a while, the laptop seems to run hot, espesially the GPU, left palm rest. And I can only get it to boot in verbose mode and every 2nd time I get a kernel panic. In the "Activity Monitor", my cpu seems to be pretty much idle, and ram usage is low so im assuming the heat is created by the GPU. Any ideas on both?!

Also how do i get rid of Voodo so i can use AppleHDA you provided vlad?

KP cause audio driver,if you use mine AppleHDA then it is necessary to remove VoodooHDA.

Hey i deleted the voodoo HDA from sys-extentions and the removed the control panel from system preferences. Then i put in the applehda and the iofamilly, the one you posted up from your EXTAR folder, i do get audio controls showing up but no audio. I did run kext utility and rebooted a few times. I also tried the one you posted in the Audio.zip Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it, i had to manually change the output from headphones to speakers in system preferences :D

Any idea about the video card though, it showes up as 435m with 2gbs instead of 445m with 3 gbs in the "About this mac"

Hey i deleted the voodoo HDA from sys-extentions and the removed the control panel from system preferences. Then i put in the applehda and the iofamilly, the one you posted up from your EXTAR folder, i do get audio controls showing up but no audio. I did run kext utility and rebooted a few times. I also tried the one you posted in the Audio.zip Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it, i had to manually change the output from headphones to speakers in system preferences ;)

Any idea about the video card though, it showes up as 435m with 2gbs instead of 445m with 3 gbs in the "About this mac"

It is necessary in DSDT to register.

It is necessary in DSDT to register.

1. How can i do that. Sorry I am completely new to the hackintosh scene, im just using DSDT you have posted.

2. And i do notice my laptop is always very hot now and fans are running pretty loudly. Anything to do with the fermi drivers and snow leopard, My left palm rest, the place where the GPU is, is the one that getting warm as if i was playing games. Is anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?

3. Your installation of lion instructions, is it going to upgrade the system, or is it going to create a fresh install, the fermi driver KP are starting to bug me?

dsdt.aml.zip

I have an L501X and my install fails at the first step with the error :

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x55f2db): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/Users/nawcom/Builds/bootcd-1504.7.4/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393
Debugger called: <panic>

I tried using the SnowOSX v3.6, which didn't work.

Tried using the following flags :

-x -v arch=i386 cpubusratio=20 (also tried 21).

Just keep getting the same error.

Any help would be great!

Hi,

I installed OS X Lion 10.7 on my laptop and almost everything is working. The following things are not working, I hope someone can help me to fix these problems.

- Sleep; When I press sleep the laptops screen turns black, laptop is going off, power button and light that says "XPS" are fading on and off. But when I press the power button the laptop goes on but the screen stays black.

- Trackpad disabeling; If I put an external mouse to the laptop and I check the option "Disable Trackpad when external mouse is availble" the trackpad is not getting disabled, also the trackpad disabling key on the keyboard doenst function.

Greetings , Koenkk

Here, all my files for LION,and mini instruction on setting Lion.

A huge thank you for posting these, I had been trying to manually install Lion and failing badly, then I remembered this thread and it's snow leopard guides were the reason I bought the L701X in the first place - and again you guys have come up trumps - it's really appreciated you share your hard efforts to let us less knowledgeable people get our systems running.

The only problem I have with both Lion and Snow Leopard is occasional screen freeze - sometimes with the black square top left next to the apple icon - I know this is graphics driver related but is there a fix? For lion I am just using your Extra folder and extensions added by kext helper - I seem to have full graphics without the nvida enabler - is that correct?

I also got full graphics without installing any drivers in osx 10.7 , it works really nice!

BTW:

Still searching a solution to these 2 problems.

- Sleep not working (Black screen after resume)

- Trackpad disabling not working (verry annoying!)

I also got full graphics without installing any drivers in osx 10.7 , it works really nice!

BTW:

Still searching a solution to these 2 problems.

- Sleep not working (Black screen after resume)

- Trackpad disabling not working (verry annoying!)

Yeah same things here too, just disable tap to click in trackpad settings. That's how I kinda sorta disable the annoying thing that when you are typing, it goes to amdifferent line.

By the way our laptops have two hard drive spaces. Using chameleon, can I install mac OS on one hard rive and then windows on another and then boot to whichever I choose too with the chameleon boot menu

1. How can i do that. Sorry I am completely new to the hackintosh scene, im just using DSDT you have posted.

2. And i do notice my laptop is always very hot now and fans are running pretty loudly. Anything to do with the fermi drivers and snow leopard, My left palm rest, the place where the GPU is, is the one that getting warm as if i was playing games. Is anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?

3. Your installation of lion instructions, is it going to upgrade the system, or is it going to create a fresh install, the fermi driver KP are starting to bug me?

Try

dsdt.aml.zip

Yeah same things here too, just disable tap to click in trackpad settings. That's how I kinda sorta disable the annoying thing that when you are typing, it goes to amdifferent line.

By the way our laptops have two hard drive spaces. Using chameleon, can I install mac OS on one hard rive and then windows on another and then boot to whichever I choose too with the chameleon boot menu

So the trackpad isnt fully disabled then?? (so when you move your hand over the trackpad the mouse still moves??)

Yes , atm i have 2 harddrives (one ssd with osx and one hdd with windows 7) when i power up my laptop i can choose between windows 7 and mac os x , works fantastic!

Hi,

I installed OS X Lion 10.7 on my laptop and almost everything is working. The following things are not working, I hope someone can help me to fix these problems.

- Sleep; When I press sleep the laptops screen turns black, laptop is going off, power button and light that says "XPS" are fading on and off. But when I press the power button the laptop goes on but the screen stays black.

- Trackpad disabeling; If I put an external mouse to the laptop and I check the option "Disable Trackpad when external mouse is availble" the trackpad is not getting disabled, also the trackpad disabling key on the keyboard doenst function.

Greetings , Koenkk

Try putting the following into your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

That got sleep working for me.

I wish that I could disable the trackpad as well. I'm guessing that something in the DSDT is not mapping to the key that disables the trackpad.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. I'm really pleased with the most everything about this laptop running OS X. My only complaint at this point is the random freezes. I'm hoping that Lion will bring some relief on that front.

Cheers

BuffDriver

Try putting the following into your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

That got sleep working for me.

I wish that I could disable the trackpad as well. I'm guessing that something in the DSDT is not mapping to the key that disables the trackpad.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. I'm really pleased with the most everything about this laptop running OS X. My only complaint at this point is the random freezes. I'm hoping that Lion will bring some relief on that front.

Cheers

BuffDriver

Adding ur fix too the com.apple.boot.plist seems to fix the sleep mode , thanks for that.

With Lion I dind't get a single freeze yet, with snow leopard i got serveral freezez per hour, so it seems that lion fixes the random freezes.

Mac OS X Lion - 14/6/2011

---------------------------------------

- With vladness files almost everything seems to work fine. To fix the sleep issue read the post 2 post above this one.

Whats currently not working/bugs

------------------------------------------

- Trackpad disabling, as someone already pointed this seems to be a dsdt issue. It seems that osx lion is not seeing the trackpad as a trackpad or the usb mouse not as a mouse. (The option "Disable trackpad when external or wireless mouse is plugged isnt working)

- When you turn off wifi in lion and then turn the wifi adapter off (using fn+f2) and then press turn wifi on on lion the wifi driver seems to crash as you cannot turn the wifi on (you need to reboot in order to get it working again).

These are the only bugs i can find yet! Seems that lion is working verry wel on the l701x!

I am having some issues installing lion. So after I got the USB drive prepped and installed chAmeleon on it that part is done. So I have the USB ready to go. I'm confused about the steps after. The pre install extra files are replacing the once on the USB or the once on my snow leopard harddrive????Then how to I get installer for the snow leopard to open, I tried everything. Do I just boot from USB and then in chameleon I boot from the USB lion install drive? That seems to just hang me at an apple screen.

Adding ur fix too the com.apple.boot.plist seems to fix the sleep mode , thanks for that.

With Lion I dind't get a single freeze yet, with snow leopard i got serveral freezez per hour, so it seems that lion fixes the random freezes.

Mac OS X Lion - 14/6/2011

---------------------------------------

- With vladness files almost everything seems to work fine. To fix the sleep issue read the post 2 post above this one.

Whats currently not working/bugs

------------------------------------------

- Trackpad disabling, as someone already pointed this seems to be a dsdt issue. It seems that osx lion is not seeing the trackpad as a trackpad or the usb mouse not as a mouse. (The option "Disable trackpad when external or wireless mouse is plugged isnt working)

- When you turn off wifi in lion and then turn the wifi adapter off (using fn+f2) and then press turn wifi on on lion the wifi driver seems to crash as you cannot turn the wifi on (you need to reboot in order to get it working again).

These are the only bugs i can find yet! Seems that lion is working verry wel on the l701x!

That's great to hear about Lion.

Here's a solution (kludgy) that I've found to disable the trackpad:

Find ApplePS2Controller.kext (mine's in the S/L/E folder). Make a copy of the file and keep it in a safe place. Right click and select "Show Package Contents". In the Contents folder is Plugins, and inside are three kexts: ApplePS2Keyboard.kext, ApplePS2Mouse.kext, and ApplePS2Trackpad.kext. I simply deleted the Mouse and Trackpad kexts and then fixed caches and permissions.

Result: My trackpad is completely disabled, but my mouse (USB & Bluetooth) uses the Microsoft Intellipoint driver and appears completely unaffected. Keyboard is also completely functional. I initially tried only deleting the Trackpad kext, but apparently the touchpad also uses the PS2 Mouse driver.

As I said, a bit kludgy, but I can reenable by installing the backup copy of ApplePS2Controller.kext that I've kept.

It would be excellent if someone could create a kernel parameter to disable the trackpad. That would allow you to quickly re-enable if you found yourself without a mouse of any kind.

Hope this helps!

BuffDriver

@buffdriver : Yes this is a way to fix this problem, but I thinks it's a bit of useless way because you cant reenable the trackpad fast.

@vladness : About the battery : I got mine fully working (Show percentage). When i installed lion it wasn't working (showed a cross in the battery). I removed applebatterymanager.kext and vodoobattery.kext (<-- Shouldn't be there if you dind't installed it). After that I installed an (probably other) applebatterymanager.kext and then the battery worked fine!

PS. We should make a nice guide for this laptop for Lion 10.7 when we have all things working!

EDIT: About the temprature, is it the GPU or the CPU? I dont note a big difference between 10.6.7 and 10.7 (maybe because I used 10.6.7 only to make the 10.7 usb stick :))

Guys could you please test this method to get the battery working??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remove voodobattery.kext and appleACPIBatteryManager.kext from System/Library/Extensions

2. Install the appleACPIBatteryManager given in the attachment

3. Repair permissions with Kext Utility

4. Reboot

5. Battery should function now??????

Give feedback please, Koenkk

The sleep problem is solved with editing DSDT on this method Ehci Ownership Fix.

In Lion I have it is necessary to solve two problems:

1.Battery

2.Too the greater temperature (in Snow Leo I have on 5 degrees it is less)

Very well that there were new people contain,I think we shall solve our problems. :)

Adding

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

too your com.apple.boot.plist also seems to work

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip

Guys could you please test this method to get the battery working??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remove voodobattery.kext and appleACPIBatteryManager.kext from System/Library/Extensions

2. Install the appleACPIBatteryManager given in the attachment

3. Repair permissions with Kext Utility

4. Reboot

5. Battery should function now??????

Give feedback please, Koenkk

Not work.

Upd.Solved :blink: