[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Just bought myself a Dell XPS 17 with i7-740QM + GT445M partly due to reading this excellent thread ;)

My previous laptop was a Dell Studio 1737 with ATI 3650HD and it was not possible to get the Graphics to function fully so I gave up, sold it and bought the above.

Will post later in the week once the laptop arrives and I've attempted to install SL with the method used in this topic.

Try mine kexts.

Vlad please can you post your Extras folder as well. Your kexts work pretty well for me but the trackpad fails to work after a suspend and I get the occasional kernel panic from the audio.

Thank you.

I´ve installed 10.6.6 but after updating to 10.6.7 from the new macbooks pro 2011 (sandy bridge support) i allways get a [ PCI Configuration Begin]....and nothing happens.

Maby its the nvidia gt 435 that cause this problem, but i dont know it. I used the kext from the 1st post v3 and everything was perfect on 10.6.6.

My Extra.

Thank you. For some reason the mouse and keyboard fail to work and it will not boot unless I add fakesmc.

Any ideas?

Using Chameleon RC5, not on the machine but one of the later builds.

Machine is a L701x I7 with the G435 and 4gb ram.

Just bought myself a Dell XPS 17 with i7-740QM + GT445M partly due to reading this excellent thread :)

My previous laptop was a Dell Studio 1737 with ATI 3650HD and it was not possible to get the Graphics to function fully so I gave up, sold it and bought the above.

Will post later in the week once the laptop arrives and I've attempted to install SL with the method used in this topic.

Laptop arrived earlier than expected, followed the guide on page one and now have a pretty well functioning Dell XPS 17 running OSX 10.6.7 :D

I haven't tested everything but what was said to work seems to be working fine, Geekbench 5970, Cinebench 21.82 OGL + 3.21 CPU score.

Very happy with the laptop so far, credit to this thread, great work guys!

guys the nawcom cd already puts a fakesmc.kext in Extra folder

if i put the FakeSMC.kext in s/l/e contained in the slug pack 3, it gaves me kernel panic..

is necessary tu put the FakeSMC.kext in s/l/e when i already have the other one?

thanks

Thank you. For some reason the mouse and keyboard fail to work and it will not boot unless I add fakesmc.

Any ideas?

Using Chameleon RC5, not on the machine but one of the later builds.

Machine is a L701x I7 with the G435 and 4gb ram.

I use these,install in S/L/E.

ApplePS2.zip

guys the nawcom cd already puts a fakesmc.kext in Extra folder

if i put the FakeSMC.kext in s/l/e contained in the slug pack 3, it gaves me kernel panic..

is necessary tu put the FakeSMC.kext in s/l/e when i already have the other one?

thanks

There should be in system only one FakeSMC.

Copy Extra Folder from attached file in your root.

Delete AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions of your installation partition.

Copy the files in "System-Lib-Ext" from attached file in System/Library/Extensions

Did you not follow those instructions ?

resolved using voodoohda and removing applehda =)

VoodooHDA a bad choice. ;)

Laptop arrived earlier than expected, followed the guide on page one and now have a pretty well functioning Dell XPS 17 running OSX 10.6.7 :P

I haven't tested everything but what was said to work seems to be working fine, Geekbench 5970, Cinebench 21.82 OGL + 3.21 CPU score.

Very happy with the laptop so far, credit to this thread, great work guys!

My result.

post-487214-1305145785_thumb.png

vladlenas, noticed your result was with 64-bit version. Mine was only the 32-bit, maybe that's why the big score difference ?

Anyway, I tried a few of your kexts in with my installation as a test and now OSX freezes half way through booting with no kernal panic errors or anything, -x -v does not get any further. The last line refers to something along the lines of *GF100* but I can't remember exactly as I am at work at the moment.

Is there anyway to access the files on the OSX installation from a boot cd ? Maybe 10.6.3 retail dvd will help? All I need to do is just remove the kexts I copied in and I'm sure that would fix it. I'm still a complete noob with OSX, can someone point me the right way or is a re-install the only option ?

*EDIT

Never mind, I found out using -s at startup gives a sort of command prompt. Tried replacing the kexts but in the end gave up and did a fresh install. I also threw in an Atheros mini wifi card and it works perfectly :)

Things are not going well now I have had time to test the setup for a few hours. OSX 10.6.7 freezes completely at random, I took out the atheros wifi card just incase that was causing the freezing but it is still the same. Shortest up time has been 20 mins and longest is 90 mins.

I don't know whether this is related to 10.6.7 as I didn't test stability with 10.6.3, I just updated straight after install. I've tried the latest software updates from apple with no success. System is 100% stable in windows 7.

Do any of you guys with the same spec as me have a stable set up ? If so, did you do anything different/use any other kexts than whats in this guide ?

Things are not going well now I have had time to test the setup for a few hours. OSX 10.6.7 freezes completely at random, I took out the atheros wifi card just incase that was causing the freezing but it is still the same. Shortest up time has been 20 mins and longest is 90 mins.

I don't know whether this is related to 10.6.7 as I didn't test stability with 10.6.3, I just updated straight after install. I've tried the latest software updates from apple with no success. System is 100% stable in windows 7.

Do any of you guys with the same spec as me have a stable set up ? If so, did you do anything different/use any other kexts than whats in this guide ?

Send me kernel.log and system.log.

Send me kernel.log and system.log.

There you go Vlaslenas, I had a quick scan through but to be honest I've no idea what to look for and I can't remember the times of the crashes. If I realised these files existed then I would of took note.

I hope you can find something, but I read somewhere that the Audio driver can be buggy for this chipset. I'm going to delete the applehda kext next and run with no sound for a while to see what happens.

Archive.zip

There you go Vlaslenas, I had a quick scan through but to be honest I've no idea what to look for and I can't remember the times of the crashes. If I realised these files existed then I would of took note.

I hope you can find something, but I read somewhere that the Audio driver can be buggy for this chipset. I'm going to delete the applehda kext next and run with no sound for a while to see what happens.

I have kernel panic it turned out from VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

I look at you too there are some problems

May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.
May 12 21:15:10: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad loaded
May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v7.4

Therefore I use other drivers.

I have kernel panic it turned out from VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

I look at you too there are some problems

May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.
 May 12 21:15:10: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
 May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad loaded
 May 12 21:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v7.4

Therefore I use other drivers.

Ok thanks, I will try the PS2 drivers you posted earlier.

Also, with sound disabled my machine still froze in exactly the same way, so not the sound driver i think? I checked the system.log and these are the only things near the time of the crash 22:26:

May 12 22:22:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x1018144f0-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes
using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:23:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes
using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:24:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x101d00050-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes
May 12 22:25:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes
May 12 22:26:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes

I think this happened when I plugged my iphone into the rear usb port, the iphone charged but itunes popped up saying it cannot connect to the phone. It works perfectly in the side ports. But I don't think this caused the system freeze as the iphone had been plugged in for 30 mins and every other time the machine has froze, the iphone had not been in nor had anything else been plugged into the rear USB.

Confusing ? I noticed that you said on another forum (tonymac?) that your macbook is macbook pro 6.2, mine is set to 6.1, could this be a factor aswell ?

Ok thanks, I will try the PS2 drivers you posted earlier.

Also, with sound disabled my machine still froze in exactly the same way, so not the sound driver i think? I checked the system.log and these are the only things near the time of the crash 22:26:

May 12 22:22:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x1018144f0-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:23:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:24:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x101d00050-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:25:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39
May 12 22:26:03 N*s-Mac com.apple.usbmuxd[17]: HandleUSBMuxDictionary client 0x100304b50-iTunes/com.apple.iTunes using library usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:17:06, running usbmuxd-211 built on Mar 23 2011 at 23:27:39

I think this happened when I plugged my iphone into the rear usb port, the iphone charged but itunes popped up saying it cannot connect to the phone. It works perfectly in the side ports. But I don't think this caused the system freeze as the iphone had been plugged in for 30 mins and every other time the machine has froze, the iphone had not been in nor had anything else been plugged into the rear USB.

Confusing ? I noticed that you said on another forum (tonymac?) that your macbook is macbook pro 6.2, mine is set to 6.1, could this be a factor aswell ?

del

Norm,

If your machine is freezing, look at the upper left corner of the screen for a small, black square; if you are quick about it, you may even see it 'grow', as it were. It is actually a video KP (and sometimes it does actually just freeze without the square). My DELL L701x (I7-740QM) did this and the current machine I'm working with, a DELL L702x with a i7-2630QM, 550M and the 1902x1080 3D screen does it, too; the FERMI drivers have some issues. Anyway, there is an APP in the APP store called MACH DESKTOP; if you run it full time it does help (it is weird but it does work - I like the Milky Way) ... I also recommend (1) NOT installing the CUDA drivers (unnecessary for most of us), (2) switching from Safari to Firefox as Safari seems to increase these issues and (3) let the desktop come all the way up after boot before touching the trackpad.

I should mention for those using a Dell Sandy Bridge laptop that it will not from boot a hard drive formatted under MAC OS, FREEBSD or any LINUX. It must a MBR scheme and partitioned under Windows. I wiped out my Dell recovery partition three times (I make a backup before I start so I was able to keep putting it back) before I determined that the partition scheme was confusing the DELL recovery process. Once I forced a Partition from the Windows install disk and use GIMAGEX to recover, it would boot. I have not solved this one yet so I do not have a good system because I have to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy Boot CD to boot my install. I do have a 1920x1080x32 display (no QE/CL) by booting with these parms: rd=disk0s2 -v (the -v helps me see failures as they occur during boot every 3 or 4 times I boot the machine). It has only been a week so I am still hopeful of some stability in another couple of days ...

Norm,

If your machine is freezing, look at the upper left corner of the screen for a small, black square; if you are quick about it, you may even see it 'grow', as it were. It is actually a video KP (and sometimes it does actually just freeze without the square). My DELL L701x (I7-740QM) did this and the current machine I'm working with, a DELL L702x with a i7-2630QM, 550M and the 1902x1080 3D screen does it, too; the FERMI drivers have some issues. Anyway, there is an APP in the APP store called MACH DESKTOP; if you run it full time it does help (it is weird but it does work - I like the Milky Way) ... I also recommend (1) NOT installing the CUDA drivers (unnecessary for most of us), (2) switching from Safari to Firefox as Safari seems to increase these issues and (3) let the desktop come all the way up after boot before touching the trackpad.

I should mention for those using a Dell Sandy Bridge laptop that it will not from boot a hard drive formatted under MAC OS, FREEBSD or any LINUX. It must a MBR scheme and partitioned under Windows. I wiped out my Dell recovery partition three times (I make a backup before I start so I was able to keep putting it back) before I determined that the partition scheme was confusing the DELL recovery process. Once I forced a Partition from the Windows install disk and use GIMAGEX to recover, it would boot. I have not solved this one yet so I do not have a good system because I have to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy Boot CD to boot my install. I do have a 1920x1080x32 display (no QE/CL) by booting with these parms: rd=disk0s2 -v (the -v helps me see failures as they occur during boot every 3 or 4 times I boot the machine). It has only been a week so I am still hopeful of some stability in another couple of days ...

Have you tried to install osx to the MBR using this method?

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/os...ned-hard-disks/

Also are you using a dsdt? I stopped trying since it seemed booting from the legacy dvd would let me run my system at 100% and felt crippled. going to patch the dvd and try again just need a blank dvd.

To tell you have QE/CL active, the top bar on the desktop has to be transparent no?

Audio I was never able to get to work, cant tell if its dsdt or kext.