[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is my first posting in this thread. I already have a HP dv8t-1200 which I'm trying to sell. I wanted to go with the Sandy Bridge Dell L702x [XPS 17 3D or XPS 17] and it looks promising with Snow Leopard as Dell L701x is almost identical to L702x. I have several questions on L702x and here is my customized configuration that I would like to buy:

XPS 17 3D

========

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit

HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition

3D GLASSES NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses (1 pair)

MEMORY 16GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics

BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)

WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

a. The CPU has 8MB cache and I wanted to confirm Snow Leopard recognizes i7-2820QM with 8MB cache.

b. Will SL recognizes Full HD resolution (1920x1080) with native QE/CI support?

c. I read in forums that Intel HD 3000 is disabled if going for 3D. Don't know why. Is this true?

d. Will Nvidia GT 555M work natively with Full HD?

e. What about speakers - JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2?

f. I also wanted to have Bluetooth with Dell Wireless N card. Which card is supported natively in SL?

g. Sleep, Wake up?

h. Network card?

i. Backlit keyboard?

Is it heavy? I wanted to carry it to school. :) . My dv8t is very heavy.

XPS 17

=====

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit

HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition

3D GLASSES GeForce 3D Stereo Glasses Kit

MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus

BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)

WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English

Although not a hackintosh related question, does anybody know the difference between 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition on XPS 17 3D with 3D GLASSES NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses (1 pair) vs 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition with GeForce 3D Stereo Glasses Kit.

Please advice.

Thanks.

vladlenas: I'm hopeful for a reply from you.

Hi norms, has inserted in DSDT Video and HDMIAudio,try.

Change Extra folder,install new AppleHDA with HDMIAudio.

Hi Vladlenas, I've put those files into my installation. Once I've had time to test stability I'll report back.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my logs and helping out :)

How can I change the US keyboard settings to Dutch? I am from the Netherlands and bought a Dell XPS 17 with Dutch keyboard (yes, my mistake).

Although not on topic as this is a general OS question, the solution is, open System Preferences, select Language and Text, click Input Sources, tick Dutch.

Hi norms, has inserted in DSDT Video and HDMIAudio,try.

Change Extra folder,install new AppleHDA with HDMIAudio.

Hi Vlad,

I have the same laptop specifications as Norms has (Dell L701X)

Could I try these files you attached for Norms (stuff.zip) as well? I also still have the random freezes with 10.6.7

Why is no, try.

Thank you Vlad, I will wait with trying. I'm first trying new Nvidia kexts.

I noticed that TonyMacX86 has released new Nvidia drivers. Version 2.0 compatible with Leopard 10.6.7

I was still running with 1.01 package from TonyMacX86. Have now installed 2.0, machine has been up and running for 3 hours now. Will try some more, but it looks much more stable now, no more freezes as of now.

Thank you Vlad, I will wait with trying. I'm first trying new Nvidia kexts.

I noticed that TonyMacX86 has released new Nvidia drivers. Version 2.0 compatible with Leopard 10.6.7

I was still running with 1.01 package from TonyMacX86. Have now installed 2.0, machine has been up and running for 3 hours now. Will try some more, but it looks much more stable now, no more freezes as of now.

After applying Vlad's files I am still getting random freezing, it has happened 3 times since last night with longest uptime of around 3 hours. Tjesis, I am pretty sure yours will still freeze as I am using the latest drivers and it had no effect (although responsiveness improved). It looks like we and many many others are suffering from the dreaded "fermi freeze", Google it, it's a bit disappointing reading the hundreds upon hundreds of people suffering the exact same thing, there's also a post on this forum too. It also appears to mainly affect systems with GF104/106 core GPU's.

The one thing that seems to help people the most is to run a video in the background with VLC or the like, it takes up around 5-10% GPU but seems to minimize the freezing, I have not personally tried this but I will soon. It looks like we will have to wait to see if the next lot of updates fix the problem, although it doesn't look too good. Then there's also Lion a little round the corner which could be promising but we can't discuss that.

Big thanks to theslug for creating this excellent guide and Vladlenas for helping me and others out!

If anyone is struggling to follow the guide or would like a hand setting up their L701X which is the same spec as mine then send me a message and I'll help as best I can :)

*Edit

Not forgetting what SteveRings said, I was going to attempt to try the app suggested but didn't realize that it cost money which I normally wouldn't mind but for a quick and hopefully in the future unnecessary fix I thought I'd give it a miss, that's what started me off looking about and found out about the fermi freeze in the first place. Thanks for that tip

For three months of use MAC OS X, I have not to time there were no problems with GT435M. ;)

Upd.

I do not play game, the problem can in it?

Good luck guys :angel: .

Yeah it appears that some users do not have any problems at all even with an identical software set-up, it's really strange. And no, although it freezes sometimes during a game, it also freezes while browsing this forum or even doing nothing at all. Such a pain. However since the latest nvidia drivers and your updated files Vladlenas, the freezes are far less frequent. I'm now in the process of testing with a video in the background, yes it will hurt games FPS but for general use and web surfing it should not be a problem, after all a quick reboot is all that's needed to load windows 7 for games :P

Tjesis, I am pretty sure yours will still freeze as I am using the latest drivers and it had no effect (although responsiveness improved). It looks like we and many many others are suffering from the dreaded "fermi freeze", Google it, it's a bit disappointing reading the hundreds upon hundreds of people suffering the exact same thing, there's also a post on this forum too. It also appears to mainly affect systems with GF104/106 core GPU's.

You are correct Norms. I still have the freezes. Too bad.

I also don't do much special things (no gaming). It just happens randomly, mostly while using safari but it also happened twice while I was using iPhoto.

Hello Vladlenas

I did it!. Thanks to theslug for great tuto. I could installed Snow Leopard with last comboUpdate on my L501x.

BCM4311 b/g card, the osx support natively

I used easykitfinale 2, an iso image I founden in kexts.com.

Vladlenas I got some questions for you:

1. Which changes did you realized since v3 files from theslug?

2. My pc has a GT435M (2GB) but on OSX is only 1GB. Do you have the same?

3. The sound explodes and the bass is so high. Is there a way to equalize? Or another kext?

4. How about sd card reader?

Thanks Vladlenas.

Hello Vladlenas

I did it!. Thanks to theslug for great tuto. I could installed Snow Leopard with last comboUpdate on my L501x.

BCM4311 b/g card, the osx support natively

I used easykitfinale 2, an iso image I founden in kexts.com.

Vladlenas I got some questions for you:

1. Which changes did you realized since v3 files from theslug?

2. My pc has a GT435M (2GB) but on OSX is only 1GB. Do you have the same?

3. The sound explodes and the bass is so high. Is there a way to equalize? Or another kext?

4. How about sd card reader?

Thanks Vladlenas.

Sorry not Vladlenas here :P but until he comes here is what I can gather, I don't have the same laptop as you however:

1. The changes I think he has posted pretty much all of his changes in his Extra.zip and Kexts.zip which he has attached previously, look back a few pages and grab those.

2. I was under the impression that the GT435M all had 1GB and not 2GB ? I could be wrong...

3. I think Vladlena' modified AppleHDA.kext file will fix your problem, also available some pages previously.

4. It looks like the SD card reader is not working for now.

Hope this helps and I'm sure Vladlenas will be around soon to clarify.

Thanks Norms that was responsible for me.

2.It only cosmetics but if want I I shall register video a card in DSDT.

4.Sd card reader,i have works only in x32,but very often there is a lag of system and KP(Very much not stable work).Now I do not use this driver. :blink:

I also have the 2gb nvidia card and it shows only 1gb in system of osx. And i got those freezes on the system every 3-5 sec for 1 sec.

Which 10.6.7 Update did you all use ? I tried the early macbook 2011 update, but after reboot i got [PCI Configuration beginns] so i got back to 10.6.6

I also have the 2gb nvidia card and it shows only 1gb in system of osx. And i got those freezes on the system every 3-5 sec for 1 sec.

Which 10.6.7 Update did you all use ? I tried the early macbook 2011 update, but after reboot i got [PCI Configuration beginns] so i got back to 10.6.6

Oh I guess there is a 2GB model then, like Vlad says, it's just cosmetic ? My system has 6GB but would pick one stick up as DDR3 and the other as DDR2 running at almost half the speed of the DD3 one. This was just cosmetic but I fixed it with entries in smbios.plist.

As far as the update goes, I installed 10.6.3 retail disc and immediately applied the 10.6.7 combo update which I'd pre-downloaded from apples web-site onto a usb drive, I had no problems applying this.

Hello Vladlenas and Norms

Thanks for your help!

I've installed the last kext in stuff.zip, that Vlad upload, run kext utility and restart, without panic scren (ufff!), but the sound is already explode, when you hear songs the bass is still high.

Any ideas? What about yours?

My pc:

DELL L501x

Intel Core i7 1.73 - 2.93 With turbo boost

Nvidia GT435M 2GB

4GB RAM DDR3

500GB SATA 7200RPM

720p Display

And change the Intel wifi link 1000 b/g/n, for a BCM4311 b/g (Full suported)

Hello Vladlenas and Norms

Thanks for your help!

I've installed the last kext in stuff.zip, that Vlad upload, run kext utility and restart, without panic scren (ufff!), but the sound is already explode, when you hear songs the bass is still high.

Any ideas? What about yours?

My pc:

DELL L501x

Intel Core i7 1.73 - 2.93 With turbo boost

Nvidia GT435M 2GB

4GB RAM DDR3

500GB SATA 7200RPM

720p Display

And change the Intel wifi link 1000 b/g/n, for a BCM4311 b/g (Full suported)

Download this pack there inside is Boom the program.