[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

After following this guide a few months ago, I had SL 10.6.7 working great apart from the Fermi Freeze. After trying numerous possible fixes like many others, I gave up in the hope that a common solution be found or the new Lion fix this and so went back to using Windows 7 for day to day things.

I've only just had the time to try upgrading my 10.6.7 install to Lion 10.7.1 which I purchased via the app store. Following the rest of the posts in here, I now have a nice working Lion install on my XPS 17 (l701x). So far (only 2 days or random use) no freezes but with fingers crossed! :(

Thanks again for the guys posting how to do this.

I do have one small problem related to the bootloader but this is unrelated to the laptop more of a generic config problem so I'll ask in another forum for a possible fix.

My webcam suddenly stopped working. Photobooth and Facetime both cannot see a camera device. I've looked through my kexts and replaced my extra folder with the one vlad posted but still no luck. It was working one minute, I downloaded a few apps and configured a few things like mouse behaviour, time machine and volume controls etc. When I tried facetime again no camera.

I've tried rolling back chameleon, different macbook pro models in smbios and changed various boot flags but I just can't seem to fix the camera issue.

It's not a major issue in anyway but I would like to have the option to use the web-cam now and again, any ideas anyone ?

My webcam suddenly stopped working. Photobooth and Facetime both cannot see a camera device. I've looked through my kexts and replaced my extra folder with the one vlad posted but still no luck. It was working one minute, I downloaded a few apps and configured a few things like mouse behaviour, time machine and volume controls etc. When I tried facetime again no camera.

I've tried rolling back chameleon, different macbook pro models in smbios and changed various boot flags but I just can't seem to fix the camera issue.

It's not a major issue in anyway but I would like to have the option to use the web-cam now and again, any ideas anyone ?

You've tried a system restart? USB attached devices are a bit flakey on mine, especially after sleep - but they usually come right after a restart.

It's the built in cam, although maybe its connected via USB internally ? More than likely, but yes I've tried many system restarts aswell as playing around with a load of settings.

Unfortunately I made a clone of the drive after the web cam stopped working and I really don't have the time to start a fresh :(

Hi Norms, I tried to install Lion on my L701X (Now work Leopard 10.6.7) but unsuccessfully..

Can you explain the steps you followed?

Thank you

After following this guide a few months ago, I had SL 10.6.7 working great apart from the Fermi Freeze. After trying numerous possible fixes like many others, I gave up in the hope that a common solution be found or the new Lion fix this and so went back to using Windows 7 for day to day things.

I've only just had the time to try upgrading my 10.6.7 install to Lion 10.7.1 which I purchased via the app store. Following the rest of the posts in here, I now have a nice working Lion install on my XPS 17 (l701x). So far (only 2 days or random use) no freezes but with fingers crossed! :)

Thanks again for the guys posting how to do this.

I do have one small problem related to the bootloader but this is unrelated to the laptop more of a generic config problem so I'll ask in another forum for a possible fix.

Hi Norms try it WebCam.

Hi Vladlenas, worked great! Many thanks :)

Hi Norms, I tried to install Lion on my L701X (Now work Leopard 10.6.7) but unsuccessfully..

Can you explain the steps you followed?

Thank you

Sorry Grandefede but my memory of upgrading to Lion is a bit vague as everything went smoothly. I followed what the guys posted in here, basically downloaded Lion from MacStore, unpacked and installed or mounted to a 2nd Hard Drive, copied vlads pre installation extra folder to it then proceeded to install Lion, once installed I then copied vlads post installation extra folder accross.

I also followed the steps on page one of this guide as a reference during the whole process.

Like I said it's too vague and I might of missed a few facts here, maybe if I had problems I would of remembered the steps clearer!

What step are you getting to before it fails and what happens when it fails ?

On a side note, it appears I still have the Fermi Freeze :( 2 times in 4 days the laptop has frozen with little dots creeping along the top left of the screen. First time was browsing some flash web-sites and multi-tasking pretty heavily. 2nd time was messing on with SD cards, previewing and copying etc. Will have to see how things go...

• 3 weeks later...
And I updated (11с74) no problems.

I changed the audio driver from 10.7.2, but no sound after sleep, and errors in the kernel logs :blink: .

For audio, still using the driver from 10.6 .... :wallbash: .

Me too. I modified the appleHDA.kext from 10.7.0 and also no sound after sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
Bingo, 24 fps now. Thanks!

What audio drivers would you guys recommend? I tried using the one posted by Vlad with the Boom program, but I get audio pops every now and then.

I get a pop when the audio is first used after boot - after that it's good. Always have for Snow Leopard and now Lion - I can live with it but a solution would be nice.

the only loud pop sound after startup almost made me crazy!!

the only loud pop sound after startup almost made me crazy!!

All problem in the amplifier (in our codec, dynamics are connected to the external amplifier), therefore it should be included violently.

In it is engaged IOAudio.kext, also it includes the amplifier after a dream.

So-as AppleHDA.kext is not able to work with external amplifiers, there are two outputs:

1. Will reconcile to a clap.

2. To use VoodooHDA.kext

3. To think up, write the driver, instead of sitting and waiting for the uncle to you will help.

All problem in the amplifier (in our codec, dynamics are connected to the external amplifier), therefore it should be included violently.

In it is engaged IOAudio.kext, also it includes the amplifier after a dream.

So-as AppleHDA.kext is not able to work with external amplifiers, there are two outputs:

1. Will reconcile to a clap.

2. To use VoodooHDA.kext

3. To think up, write the driver, instead of sitting and waiting for the uncle to you will help.

OK, I have fixed the issue. ;)

hey i recently installed sl 10.6.3 on my l701x, when i update from there usb no longer works and i have added all the different kexts people have been posting, is there something i missed? also when i update 10.6.8 it loads so far and stops at "pci configuration begin" or something like that, i don't know anything about osx, is it something i've done wrong? thanks

OK, I have fixed the issue. :(

Antipop?

If not antipop then tell that has made it.

hey i recently installed sl 10.6.3 on my l701x, when i update from there usb no longer works and i have added all the different kexts people have been posting, is there something i missed? also when i update 10.6.8 it loads so far and stops at "pci configuration begin" or something like that, i don't know anything about osx, is it something i've done wrong? thanks

Is better install Lion, here all already with Lion.

I have already forgotten that it is necessary to do at updating up to 10.6.8. :(

"pci configuration begin" It is treated in words in com.apple.boot.plist "KernelFlag" npci=0x2000.

Antipop?

Is better install Lion, here all already with Lion.

I have already forgotten that it is necessary to do at updating up to 10.6.8. :weight_lift:

"pci configuration begin" It is treated in words in com.apple.boot.plist "KernelFlag" npci=0x2000.

ah thankyou vlad i'll try that =D i found out how to fix my usb issue too, the rollback usb =) the whole reason i want osx on my laptop is so i can use protools 9 lol

Antipop?

Antipop only disables the soft pop sound after idle but can not disable the loud pop noise at startup.

So I modified the appleHDA.kext from 10.7.2 and disable the Linein without any loud popping sound, also adding the HDMI audio out.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that the sound has a high bass, repressed mids and virtually no highs? I can equalize it out with boom program but it is really annoying. Has anyone found a better fix? I used the audio drivers in V3 of the L701x pack

Im on a l502x laptop but to my knowledge we have the same sound chip ALC 665

Has anyone noticed that the sound has a high bass, repressed mids and virtually no highs? I can equalize it out with boom program but it is really annoying. Has anyone found a better fix? I used the audio drivers in V3 of the L701x pack

Im on a l502x laptop but to my knowledge we have the same sound chip ALC 665

To fix the heavy bass you need to remove the node:

Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext/Contents/info.plist

HDA Platform Resource > Layouts > PathMapRef > IntSpeaker > SignalProcessin.