[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Hey Vlad,

I noticed that my battery life was running a little less than I would have liked so I installed these... However now when I try to start up my Hackintosh on my L501X I get a KP:

Failed to load kext com.apple.drivr.AppleACPIPlatform (error 0xdc008016)

Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert"

panic: "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.9.17/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389.

Any ideas here? I'm on 10.6.8 did I accidently install something only for Lion?

I can't even boot into single user mode.. is there a way for me to revert?

Thanks,

PkL728

I was able to repair this by booting into the installation CD and using the terminal to remove the offending kexts. Whew, dumb for not thinking about that before.

On a side note.. what System profile are you guys using for your XPS's? I had to use MacPro4,1 just to be able to install the graphics drivers. Currently my only issues with 10.6.8 are that if I pull out my usb mouse I get the "Please restart your computer message."

Just got deep sleep to work by removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext! However my track pad is not usable after it comes back up.

I cant help with anythintg on 10.6, i didn't use it much on hackintosh, i had a real mac then :P.

Another thing i noticed that does not work universally is the webcam. It works sometimes in photobooth, but it crashes in other things such as final cut pro and such. And i dont think it works with skype or anything. Another thing i noticed, for a 3 MP camera the quality is terrible so we do need to see if there is a better kext for it.

EDIT: Does anyone else have audio probleams when playing vidoes through browser, things such as youtube or flash content in general?

Another weird thing I noticed. I'm dual booting into Windows 7 as well and I've noticed that my F1 - F12 keys are messed up. I have to hit the function key before I hit any of the F1 - F12 keys to actually use that key, otherwise it does the alternate function.

For instance, if I hit F4, my screen brightness goes down. If I hit Fn + F4, then its a normal F4 keystroke. Any ways to get this back to normal?

Thanks,

PkL728

there was an issue with the dock, when magnification is on, it would freeze, but it think the update was in the file pack to fix it. It was from 10.6 time in the thread. I do get an ocasional freeze, which is once every few days where i do have to power down, for me its usually quicktime related when i am watching something. sound keeps playing, picture freezes and i get a spinning beachball. I know quicktime utilizes the GPU which makes me again think its something to do with the video card.

how frequent is your lock up and is it the same as mine?

My lock up is very different - literally the whole screen freezes including the mouse pointer - no response to keys or touch pad - often there is a small black set of pixels missing top left next to the Apple logo in the status bar.

As to when it happens - it's seems to be even more random - the last time it did it was when I tried to log in from from the password screen after the screen saver had been on - and it's never done that previously - so the clicking the icons in the dock isn't the only thing that's causing it.

Another weird thing I noticed. I'm dual booting into Windows 7 as well and I've noticed that my F1 - F12 keys are messed up. I have to hit the function key before I hit any of the F1 - F12 keys to actually use that key, otherwise it does the alternate function.

For instance, if I hit F4, my screen brightness goes down. If I hit Fn + F4, then its a normal F4 keystroke. Any ways to get this back to normal?

Thanks,

PkL728

....Thats how it is normally, all of our computers came like that. I have no idea how you even made it to do the opposite of what you said. On every laptop to actually use f4 you have to hit fn+f4 otherwise its always a laptop function such as screen brightness

My lock up is very different - literally the whole screen freezes including the mouse pointer - no response to keys or touch pad - often there is a small black set of pixels missing top left next to the Apple logo in the status bar.

As to when it happens - it's seems to be even more random - the last time it did it was when I tried to log in from from the password screen after the screen saver had been on - and it's never done that previously - so the clicking the icons in the dock isn't the only thing that's causing it.

You are using 10.6, thats normal, if you look back its an issue that is fixed by installing lion. We have fermi videocards and the 10.6 isnt compatible with them, even with updated drivers. as soon as you update to 10.7 that freeze up with small square is going to be gone. Nothing you can do but 10.7.

Thanks,

PkL728

I figured my problem out here. For whatever reason it set my settings back to the original, which I dislike. If you go to the little gears button hot key up top, you can switch your keyboard so that the function keys work properly.

There's an option called "Function key row."

Send please yours the DSDT, ioreg.dump and kernel.log.

Files are updated for Lion (are noted blue).

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to update to Lion and to accomplish this I went through the readme in the above file to create a bootable 8 gig usb drive. I was able to boot into the Lion installation using "PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000."

My main question here is that I think I don't understand what the read me is trying to do. In that file I downloaded I have Extra for install, Extra post install, and Extensions.

After I have my bootable usb working, do I install everything in extensions and move Extra for install to Snow Leopard? Or do I copy Extra for install onto the bootable usb and then install everything in Extensions after I've installed Lion?

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to update to Lion and to accomplish this I went through the readme in the above file to create a bootable 8 gig usb drive. I was able to boot into the Lion installation using "PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000."

My main question here is that I think I don't understand what the read me is trying to do. In that file I downloaded I have Extra for install, Extra post install, and Extensions.

After I have my bootable usb working, do I install everything in extensions and move Extra for install to Snow Leopard? Or do I copy Extra for install onto the bootable usb and then install everything in Extensions after I've installed Lion?

I'm not an expert but how I have been doing it is:-

Create Lion USB using any of the many guides for doing that.

Make it bootable using Chameleon from the package.

Delete the Extra folder from the USB you created put their buy Chameleon

Copy the Extra for install from inside that dir to the USB (i.e. just copy Extra to USB)

I Suggest for ease of use you copy the downloaded files, and a utility like Kext Helper to the USB for ease of post install work.

Install Lion. If when the installation boots it does not recognise your native keyboard, you can just plug in a usb keyboard to get past this (if you have one) or there is a fix in this thread.

Once you are at Lion desktop, run Chameleon on your Lion hard drive, then again delete the Extra folder and then copy in it's place the Extra folder from Extra post install.

NOW add the Extensions kexts to S/L/E using Kext Helper or your preferred method for doing that.

Reboot and all should be good.

Personally though, I have found the Chameleon in the package does not make a drive bootable when run on Lion, it completes OK - but the drive does not boot - I've had to use a Snow Leopard install to run Chameleon and get it to make the drive bootable - I do not know if it's a problem with that version of Chameleon or just me.

As you all know Apple has release the official Lion, we need to jump ship from beta as soon as there is a good installation method figured out.

I just installed the official Lion the same way as the Betas, very easy to do - just once you finish downloading Lion from Mac App Store go into the Applications directory, right click the Lion installer - Show package contents and then navigate to the .dmg files you need to create a bootable usb from their. Running it now - but still getting the random screen freeze grr!

....Thats how it is normally, all of our computers came like that. I have no idea how you even made it to do the opposite of what you said. On every laptop to actually use f4 you have to hit fn+f4 otherwise its always a laptop function such as screen brightness

You are using 10.6, thats normal, if you look back its an issue that is fixed by installing lion. We have fermi videocards and the 10.6 isnt compatible with them, even with updated drivers. as soon as you update to 10.7 that freeze up with small square is going to be gone. Nothing you can do but 10.7.

I have done 10.7 DP 4, GM and official Release - and I still get this problem! Graphics are native with no additional work QE /CI but still I get the freezing - yet nobody else seems to! I must be doing something wrong but all I have done is use the Lion files provided in this thread.

I'm not an expert but how I have been doing it is:-

Create Lion USB using any of the many guides for doing that.

Make it bootable using Chameleon from the package.

Delete the Extra folder from the USB you created put their buy Chameleon

Copy the Extra for install from inside that dir to the USB (i.e. just copy Extra to USB)

I Suggest for ease of use you copy the downloaded files, and a utility like Kext Helper to the USB for ease of post install work.

Install Lion. If when the installation boots it does not recognise your native keyboard, you can just plug in a usb keyboard to get past this (if you have one) or there is a fix in this thread.

Once you are at Lion desktop, run Chameleon on your Lion hard drive, then again delete the Extra folder and then copy in it's place the Extra folder from Extra post install.

NOW add the Extensions kexts to S/L/E using Kext Helper or your preferred method for doing that.

Reboot and all should be good.

Personally though, I have found the Chameleon in the package does not make a drive bootable when run on Lion, it completes OK - but the drive does not boot - I've had to use a Snow Leopard install to run Chameleon and get it to make the drive bootable - I do not know if it's a problem with that version of Chameleon or just me.

I just installed the official Lion the same way as the Betas, very easy to do - just once you finish downloading Lion from Mac App Store go into the Applications directory, right click the Lion installer - Show package contents and then navigate to the .dmg files you need to create a bootable usb from their. Running it now - but still getting the random screen freeze grr!

I have done 10.7 DP 4, GM and official Release - and I still get this problem! Graphics are native with no additional work QE /CI but still I get the freezing - yet nobody else seems to! I must be doing something wrong but all I have done is use the Lion files provided in this thread.

I have also posted a small write up how i installed lion. The read me with files is really hard to follow. Look back in the thread i have posted a small write up.

I dont know why you are getting the freezes thats very strange. You could try a fresh install. See if that will change anything.

I dont know why you are getting the freezes thats very strange. You could try a fresh install. See if that will change anything.

The only issue I see with us running dev preview is we cant get further updates :)

I might have cracked it on my own (I say might, it's been freeze free all day but I have previously had mysterious periods of being Freeze free and then out the blue it kicks in again) - I noticed in my about this mac -> More Info it said I was using a 15" Macbook Pro - but I have the 17" Dell XPS. I don't know if this could be relevant or not - I had just used Vlad's package - and subsequently the amended dsdt he provided I think you Eugene because i have the GT 445M 3gb. I know the smbios has something to do with that bit, and that it can have more then just a cosmetic effect on your system - so I hunted out an alternative smbios.plist which reports my system now as just Macbook Pro, using the SMProductname MacBookPro8,1 - which from my googling should match a 17" mac. Anyway I have attached the smbios.plist I found, it might be it needs further tweaking - so far it seems to have somehow done the trick.

EDIT:- I now know a little more about smbios, The reasons Vlads smbios set my machine as a 15" Macbook Pro was the serial number he set in it - the one I found had no serial number - when I put Vlads serial in it suddenly I was back to 15" Macbook - the solution for aesthetic reasons only I guess is to use lizard to make you a custom serial:-

http://www.kexts.com/view/488-lizard_0.62.html

I also added the UUID to the smbios.plist

<key>SMUUID</key>
<string></string>

Obtained from Disk Utility by selecting my Lion partition and then clicking info up at the to of the disk utility window.

I upgraded to the release version of Lion on Wednesday, I had a 10.6.7 install on my second internal drive so used the App Store on that to download it (the Lion GM I was running on an external hard drive would not let me buy Lion because it said I was running it!) Can't see any difference from the GM but I wanted to be running the full release.

smbios.plist.zip

On lion retail my graphics are native too, i tried the nvidia driver from the homepage, but i cant install it, no supported.

Cant find a driver for the 435m. On flash games like Haxball.com its unplayable with the native driver.

And the app store is realy slow by scrolling up or down.

My laptop is xps15 L501x with GT 435m and everything is ok in Snow leopard.

But in Lion there is only one problem making me confused for a long time.

When dragging a window it will move with little lag just like the video card doesn't work when idle. But after dragging the window here and there quickly everything goes so smoothly.

BUT when I use the displayport to connect a VGA everything goes smoothly with no lag.

What happened? Any solution?

Im using your bios file rob :( nothing different just shows newer macbook pro model :( so everything is still same as before, maybe in your case the file got corrupt or something.

As in regards for 435 i have no idea. Try intsalling that CUDA driver thing i posted a while back see waht i does, might fix it as 435 is CUDA. Just a wild though, i did some googleing and not much on 435 nvidia on mac

EDIT: I was about to go to sleep and it hit me, is yours a dual video card? Does it have intel and 435 or just 435. Some models i think came with intel as well to be used in power saving mode, might be thinking of a different manufacturer though. Double check on that because if its dual that the core issue.

Send please yours the DSDT, ioreg.dump and kernel.log.

Files are updated for Lion (are noted blue).

I have successfully updated to Lion! I have vlad's same setup. My only problems are that sleep doesn't work properly, gestures don't work, and my laptop seems to take a lot longer to boot up with Lion. Any ideas?

For sleep, I think the old method should still work, i never got around to setting it up. Gestures wont work because we dont have the right track pad. Our hardware doesn't support that kind of multitouch as far as I know. I never notice the boot time personally. Unless it takes about 3 minutes, or such an unusually long time to boot i wouldn't worry.

productimagegifcimagexp.png

DELL L701X GUIDE!

(WorkInProgress)

a guide for install Snow Leopard and create a fantastic hackintosh (HEAVY) laptop.

Hardware Configuration:

CPU : Intel Core i7-740M

Chipset : Intel Ibex Peak-M HM57, Intel Lynnfield

RAM : 4GB DDR3-1333 (2X2 - 2Slot free)

Video : NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M (3072 MB)

Monitor : 1600X900

Audio : Realtek ALC665

HD : 500GB Sata

WiFi : Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN (switched to Dell 1510, works OOB)

Ethernet : Gigabit Ethernet Realtek 8168

What work:

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M (3072 MB)

- HDMI Video out

- Realtek ALC665

- Gigabit Ethernet Realtek 8168

- 2MP Webcam

- Bluetooth

- Synaptic TrackPad (with 2 finger scrolling)

- Keyboard

- USB Ports (all 2.0 and 3.0)

- Deep Sleep (But No USB2 ports after resume!)

What not work:

- Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN (switched to Dell 1510, works OOB)

- Sata Port (Not Tested, but probably work)

- SDCard Reader (Not Tested)

- HDMI Audio out

- Display Port (Not Tested)

- DVB-T card (Not Tested, but probably not work)

Bench:

GeekBench v2.1.12 result: 5200

XBench 1.3 (Without HD)result: 130

Installation

1. Use nawcom Mod CD 0.3.1 and a 10.6.3 DVD or USB image.
    NOTE: if you use like me a Installation from USB, don't use USB3 port.
    NOTE: deselect custom option in OSX installation from nawcom before install.
    Install on the first partition on an MBR or GPT HD.
  2. After the installation Finish, reboot, and start the partition with nawcom.
  3. Copy all necessary files on your desktop (USB not work after 10.6.6 installation)
  4. Install 10.6.6 Combo Update dowloaded From Apple Website
  5. Reboot and restart your partition with Nawcom.
  6. Now, install Chameleon, i have used r699 by iReset, Downloaded Here
    Copy Extra Folder from attached file in your root.
    Delete AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions of your installation partition.
    Copy the files in "System-Lib-Ext" from attached file in System/Library/Extensions
    Run Kext Utility for repair permissions, recreate system cache And Reboot.
  7. Boot From Your Installed Partition
  8. Now install tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update, I have used 1.0.1(current).
  9. Reboot
  10. Now install Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx Driver
  11. Reboot

NOTE: If you want DeepSleep, open Terminal and type: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 5

NOTE: In the attached files is present a .icc for LG LCD panel Profile from ironnerd(notebookreview.com)

NOTE: Probably this guide works also for L401X and L501X with i7-740QM or i7 840QM CPU.

Future improvement:

- DSDT enhancement (nedd help for USB2 sleep problem)

Changes:

v2:

- DSDT from MaLd0n and Nexos™ in the pack default is the MaLd0n one.

- removed Lan from pack and added to the guide

- most recent FakeSMC and intel kext (tnx MaLd0n)

- other little things

v3:

- Removed VoodooHDA

- New patched DSDT (i patched the MaLd0n) for support ALC665 natively. (TNX vladlenas)

- New AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext. (TNX vladlenas)

- Reverted to 64bit.

theSLug

many thanks to this great topic

my laptop DELL L502X

core i7

8g ram

2 video cards

intel and invidia geforce gt 540m 2g

i followed the steps carefully until i reached step no 6 i did the all above but after restart

the system can't boot normally the apple logo only appear forever and when restart my partition with Nawcom i got a kernel pinc

any help ?

many thanks to this great topic

my laptop DELL L502X

core i7

8g ram

2 video cards

intel and invidia geforce gt 540m 2g

i followed the steps carefully until i reached step no 6 i did the all above but after restart

the system can't boot normally the apple logo only appear forever and when restart my partition with Nawcom i got a kernel pinc

any help ?

there is a different thread in this topic for the 502/702 guys. you guys have a different video card as far as i remeber.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257950

On lion retail my graphics are native too, i tried the nvidia driver from the homepage, but i cant install it, no supported.

Cant find a driver for the 435m. On flash games like Haxball.com its unplayable with the native driver.

And the app store is realy slow by scrolling up or down.

1. Dont modify the original AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

2. Install the LegacyAGPM.kext into S/L/E and repare permission then rebuild cache.

LegacyAGPM.kext attachment:

LegacyAGPM.kext.zip

whitegerry thanks it works much better now, but not 100%, it laggs at some points, and at cinebench i get 16-20 by opengl benchmark, before i had like 4

MacBookPro6,2 must be set into your smbios.plist and try this one: LegacyAGPM.kext.zip

Or you can modify the LegacyAGPM.kext to work fine referring to http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20367