[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Have the rest of you guys notice that the laptop is running hotter then usual when using mac. Using windows my machine was cooler and the fans were never really firing up as much. With Mac, its noticeably hotter and the fan is running one speed higher then usual.

I have too, I look for the decision if I shall find I shall inform.

cool. I am thinking its something to do with the nvidia driver, in particular something with the fan control part. Thats what seems to be the issue as the left palm rest is the one that is getting way too bloody hot.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for this wonderful guide!

I now have Lion installed and everything is working EXCEPT:

- Sleep

- SD Card Reader

- Battery Status (shows a battery with an 'x' through it)

I'm a total n00b and was wondering if someone could talk me through fixing these issues please? I'm not too bothered about the card reader, it's more sleep and the battery status I need help with.

I know some posts are already up about this, but I'm still not sure what I have to do.

Thank you!

Look through all the posts some one has posted here a while ago how to enable sleep or deep sleep, not sure which one. With Lion all of us are still suffering the battery and the x thing. And no kext for card reader sadly. Not sure if it will be coming at all. Would be nice though.

Just noticed my graphics card is showing up as a Geforce 435M, but I have a 445M. Something to do with the DSTD?

I'm using the 10.7 install method and files posted by Robcoffee. Will that make any difference to performance? Would a driver update help?

Cheers

Hurray! Got sleep working via the method posted on here! Thank you!

Is there any kext out, for the intel Wlan card in the notebook ?

no, sorry you will have to order a dell card mentioned in frist post. There is little to no intel dev in hackintosh community.

Just noticed my graphics card is showing up as a Geforce 435M, but I have a 445M. Something to do with the DSTD?

I'm using the 10.7 install method and files posted by Robcoffee. Will that make any difference to performance? Would a driver update help?

Cheers

Hurray! Got sleep working via the method posted on here! Thank you!

It is a DSDT thing. Vlad also moded a dsdt for me. There is a DSDt he posted in reply to me. thats the one im using. I also have a 445 with 3 gigs. actually i think i should be able to upload it for you. Courtesy of vlad :guitar:

dsdt.aml.zip

Thanks to you and to Vlad! That did the trick!! ;)

Now if only we can get the card reader and battery fixed!

Looks like I won't be splashing out £2000 on a Macbook Pro anytime soon, anyway! :D

no, sorry you will have to order a dell card mentioned in frist post. There is little to no intel dev in hackintosh community.

It is a DSDT thing. Vlad also moded a dsdt for me. There is a DSDt he posted in reply to me. thats the one im using. I also have a 445 with 3 gigs. actually i think i should be able to upload it for you. Courtesy of vlad :)

For battery life, install these two files :( .

Awesome :) everything seems to work great. Now all we have left is card reader and video card running too hot and we have a full working laptop :)

You guys might want to install this as well

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-4.0.19-driver.html

WE do have CUDA video cards so this is useful to have, not sure if its functioning to its full potential. It does say there is an update available after you install that version but there is not one. I think its some error on the nvidia side.

Yeah, I get the 'update needed' error. Very annoying.

Also have you tried playing any games? Portal 2 is very choppy and crashes a lot. I wonder if this is related to the video card temp?

Any thoughts on the touchpad not waking from sleep?

hmmm...

Awesome :D everything seems to work great. Now all we have left is card reader and video card running too hot and we have a full working laptop :P

You guys might want to install this as well

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-4.0.19-driver.html

WE do have CUDA video cards so this is useful to have, not sure if its functioning to its full potential. It does say there is an update available after you install that version but there is not one. I think its some error on the nvidia side.

Yeah, I get the 'update needed' error. Very annoying.

Also have you tried playing any games? Portal 2 is very choppy and crashes a lot. I wonder if this is related to the video card temp?

Any thoughts on the touchpad not waking from sleep?

hmmm...

No idea on the touchpad, I dont really use sleep so i never noticed it.

As for the video card, i am assuming it could be a driver issue. Its not the temperature as I played spliter cell conviction of my latop when i had windows to the point where my left palm rest could actually burn something and it was fine. So for the choppiness and everything else i am assuming its something to do with the driver (kext) itself. Source engine should run super smooth on the highest settings, it does on win. And source engine is bloody old too and our laptops are way over speced to preform badly.

Yeah, that's what I thought. There must be a reason for the slowness/choppiness though. I'm try some other games from my steam library and see if they're any better.

No idea on the touchpad, I dont really use sleep so i never noticed it.

As for the video card, i am assuming it could be a driver issue. Its not the temperature as I played spliter cell conviction of my latop when i had windows to the point where my left palm rest could actually burn something and it was fine. So for the choppiness and everything else i am assuming its something to do with the driver (kext) itself. Source engine should run super smooth on the highest settings, it does on win. And source engine is bloody old too and our laptops are way over speced to preform badly.

Yeah, that's what I thought. There must be a reason for the slowness/choppiness though. I'm try some other games from my steam library and see if they're any better.

I will try counterstrike source, ill see what i can get from that. Always try playing with power adapter pluged in. Im not sure in Dell has that in BIOS, but some laptops are designed to throttle down a little when unplugged. Mac and Win have that build in as far as i remember into the OS.

Okay so i tried it. I get solid 60 FPS at everything except Anti and MSAA maxed out. I do get this thing where it will freeze for a second for no reason, but that happens every 45 seconds or so. There does seem to be some issue with the video card.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about ;)

It's not a major issue at all, it'd just be nice to resolve it. To be honest, I'm amazed how well everything else is going!

I think once the last couple of niggles are resolved a proper 10.7 guide should be made. Once you've got a fully working Snow Leopard installation it's a piece of cake!

I do get this thing where it will freeze for a second for no reason, but that happens every 45 seconds or so. There does seem to be some issue with the video card.

Even with the GM I still get the screen freeze glitch, where everything locks up and I have to hard power down and restart. I think for me the common occurance is launching things from the dock, if I use iFile to launch anything then it runs all night no problems - but if I start launching stuff from the dock - particularly launchpad - then a freeze is guaranteed.

What's more annoying is nobody else seems to be mentioning this lock up - so it's either unique to my L701x or how I have stuff installed - but I have seperate installs of DP4 and GM and both do it - GM at first went a long time without doing it - three days I think - and I thought it was OK then it went and locked up on me last night.

When Lion retail drops (tomorrow night?) I'm going to buy it and hopefully it will fix the issue - otherwise I'll work round it I suppose.

Even with the GM I still get the screen freeze glitch, where everything locks up and I have to hard power down and restart. I think for me the common occurance is launching things from the dock, if I use iFile to launch anything then it runs all night no problems - but if I start launching stuff from the dock - particularly launchpad - then a freeze is guaranteed.

What's more annoying is nobody else seems to be mentioning this lock up - so it's either unique to my L701x or how I have stuff installed - but I have seperate installs of DP4 and GM and both do it - GM at first went a long time without doing it - three days I think - and I thought it was OK then it went and locked up on me last night.

When Lion retail drops (tomorrow night?) I'm going to buy it and hopefully it will fix the issue - otherwise I'll work round it I suppose.

there was an issue with the dock, when magnification is on, it would freeze, but it think the update was in the file pack to fix it. It was from 10.6 time in the thread. I do get an ocasional freeze, which is once every few days where i do have to power down, for me its usually quicktime related when i am watching something. sound keeps playing, picture freezes and i get a spinning beachball. I know quicktime utilizes the GPU which makes me again think its something to do with the video card.

how frequent is your lock up and is it the same as mine?

@Matt - Yeah so that graphics thing seems universal. I dont do any gaming on mac part so I am okay with how it is working thus far. But getting this all ironed out will be a good thing.

BEWARE THE USB 3.0 PORTS OF DEATH!

USB 3.0 ports are a little shaky. I'm going to see if I can find an alternative next for them. Don't try and sync an iDevice with iTunes with them in the meantime though as you will DEFINITELY get an error (probably 0xE800056) if you do -- works fine on USB 2.0 ports, though. The 3.0 ports also act strangely with pretty much anything you plug in to them.

On a positive note though, I bought an external eSATA HDD today and can confirm the eSATA port works perfectly... of course then you're down to 1 USB 2.0 remaining...

BEWARE THE USB 3.0 PORTS OF DEATH!

USB 3.0 ports are a little shaky. I'm going to see if I can find an alternative next for them. Don't try and sync an iDevice with iTunes with them in the meantime though as you will DEFINITELY get an error (probably 0xE800056) if you do -- works fine on USB 2.0 ports, though. The 3.0 ports also act strangely with pretty much anything you plug in to them.

On a positive note though, I bought an external eSATA HDD today and can confirm the eSATA port works perfectly... of course then you're down to 1 USB 2.0 remaining...

The mouse works fine with usb 3.0 port. I had the micro receiver always plugged in there, cant vouch for the rest of devices. Good to hear eSata is working, I honestly didn't expect it to. :hysterical:

It looks like we are getting full Apple experience, limited USB ports and everything, thats great :dev:

LOL yeah... a mouse will work fine, but try plugging in a USB hub full off items... :hysterical:

I'll try updating the Renesas USB host's firmware, see if that helps...

The mouse works fine with usb 3.0 port. I had the micro receiver always plugged in there, cant vouch for the rest of devices. Good to hear eSata is working, I honestly didn't expect it to. :dev:

It looks like we are getting full Apple experience, limited USB ports and everything, thats great :P

If anyone has working USB 3.0 ports on Lion, could you tell me how you did it lol?

Could someone list the kexts and dstd they're using?

Ouch, well mac os does not have usb 3.0 officially so its only expected to have some flaky function.

UPDATE: A 'USB Super-Speed Bus' appears in 'about this mac', but no hub comes up as connected to it... if i boot up the OSX 10.7 installer USB disk I made, a hub is present and the ports work, so it must have been something I changed post-install that stopped them working. As far as I can remember all I did was add the battery fix and sleep fix... I'll try experimenting with removing both tomorrow.

For battery life, install these two files :( .

Hey Vlad,

I noticed that my battery life was running a little less than I would have liked so I installed these... However now when I try to start up my Hackintosh on my L501X I get a KP:

Failed to load kext com.apple.drivr.AppleACPIPlatform (error 0xdc008016)

Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert"

panic: "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.9.17/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389.

Any ideas here? I'm on 10.6.8 did I accidently install something only for Lion?

I can't even boot into single user mode.. is there a way for me to revert?

Thanks,

PkL728