[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've tried to install lion using the method and files provided by whitegerry in my l501x but I'm having a few problems.

When I first run lion it asks for a keyboard. No problem, I plug and unplug one and it recognizes the laptop's one.

Trackpad is not recognized. It works as a mouse but nothing else.

When laptop raises from sleep mode trackpad doesn't work at all, and no sound too.

I have a Broadcom BCM94322HM8L wifi but I can't turn it on. It's recognized and I have the icon in the upper bar but it just doesn't turn on.

Can somebody help?

Thanks

Hello.

I've tried to install lion using the method and files provided by whitegerry in my l501x but I'm having a few problems.

When I first run lion it asks for a keyboard. No problem, I plug and unplug one and it recognizes the laptop's one.

Trackpad is not recognized. It works as a mouse but nothing else.

When laptop raises from sleep mode trackpad doesn't work at all, and no sound too.

I have a Broadcom BCM94322HM8L wifi but I can't turn it on. It's recognized and I have the icon in the upper bar but it just doesn't turn on.

Can somebody help?

Thanks

I have disabled the sleep for it is not needed for me.

You can cancel the check box asking for a keyboard when first run.

I have no idea about the touchpad and sound issues after sleep. A trackpad is a better choice for you.

If your Broadcom doesnt work you should check the wireless option or load the default settings in BIOS.

can't get sound to work on lion 10.7.0 =( i've tried all different kexts that have been posted, none of them work, do i need the 10.71/2/3 updates? because i don't have enough bandwidth left to get them

its ok now i finally got it working =D and I'm on 10.7.,2 with no problems

I don't know how you guys manage it, I've installed 10.6.3 retail dvd on 2 laptops and a desktop and got them all working fine, but getting 10.6.3 or Lion working on my 701x is nigh on impossible.

I've tried multiple burns of nawcom, osxmod cd and about 3 different versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], every different flag you can think of, every kext combination onto different drives, even pre-changing the wifi card in case the non-existent kext's I haven't installed are conflicting. Followed 3 different guides from around the net and still nada.

KP after KP after KP.

Starting to think I haven't got a clue how to use a computer.

I'm sitting here with 7 boot cds and 10.6 on my final attempt for the night before I give up and put my w7 drive back in.

Could I please ask that any of you put up a checklist of blatantly obvious points I may have been missing all this time?

I don't know how you guys manage it, I've installed 10.6.3 retail dvd on 2 laptops and a desktop and got them all working fine, but getting 10.6.3 or Lion working on my 701x is nigh on impossible.

I've tried multiple burns of nawcom, osxmod cd and about 3 different versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], every different flag you can think of, every kext combination onto different drives, even pre-changing the wifi card in case the non-existent kext's I haven't installed are conflicting. Followed 3 different guides from around the net and still nada.

KP after KP after KP.

Starting to think I haven't got a clue how to use a computer.

I'm sitting here with 7 boot cds and 10.6 on my final attempt for the night before I give up and put my w7 drive back in.

Could I please ask that any of you put up a checklist of blatantly obvious points I may have been missing all this time?

i did a fresh install using a modified lion install iso with the npci=0x2000, it took a while to finish but works beautifully =) hope that helps

Hello,

Just a little update about Lion 10.7.3(11D46).

I installed it, everything works good except i lost my wifi card completely which is Atheros 9280 half-pci.

The wifi card was working on 10.7.2 ,so as i was about to reinstall everything i taught about reinstalling IO80211Famiy.kext from Vlad files for Lion and it did the trick for me. :thumbsup_anim:

i guess now we cross fingers waiting for the official release.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i am tired of windows and as all my stuff is apple i am coming back. Any chance someone could write up a quick guide on how to install fresh lion and compile the kexts that have been added and updated? The original thread poster hasnt updated the guide in almost a year so we kinda need something fresh for lion

This all my fileshttp://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kufidzqmpy0poka

Here the good instruction of installation of the Lion http://xpcboot.weebly.com/index.html

Now I use XPC the boot loader,the unique minus does not work touchpad.

To whom it is not necessary touchpad, very good boot loader I recommend.

The link it is updated, added AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.3.

How do you guys install 10.7.3 update? Download the combo update from apple or just do it via update centre. After boot using usb and reinstall kexts and thats it? I forgot a lot of stuff *Blush*

For the initial lion install, I just installed using the usb stick with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] lion install files and ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after with a custom DSDT. Then update all kexts and all finished. Painless and simple.

NVM Just like I though all works great.

I may also suggest installing CUDA core drivers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This all my fileshttp://www.mediafire...kufidzqmpy0poka

Here the good instruction of installation of the Lion http://xpcboot.weebly.com/index.html

The link it is updated, added AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.3.

I had a go with XPC bootloader on Mountain Lion installer DP3, using your files Vlad I got the installer to boot on my L701x, but for some reason it comes up in Russian, no keyboard or trackpad, it detects my Bluetooth Apple Magic Trackpad - but crucially only the left and right USB ports work - not the back two. As I'm booting off a USB drive, want to install on a USB drive and need the bluetooth to run the trackpad - this means I'm going to have to try a hub for one of the two.

I had a go with XPC bootloader on Mountain Lion installer DP3, using your files Vlad I got the installer to boot on my L701x, but for some reason it comes up in Russian, no keyboard or trackpad, it detects my Bluetooth Apple Magic Trackpad - but crucially only the left and right USB ports work - not the back two. As I'm booting off a USB drive, want to install on a USB drive and need the bluetooth to run the trackpad - this means I'm going to have to try a hub for one of the two.

XPC does not work yet with Mountain Lion(Does not load kext from "etra_kext").And I do not recommend to install meanwhile it, from for problems 55 chipsets.

About Trackpad

OSXSettings: The preferred language to be used at OSX installer. To find out your value

type nvram -p in terminal. Look at prev-lang:kbd.

Thank you for the quick reply Vladlenas, I did see the note about XPC not supporting the built in trackpad on the L701x - but this is not a big issue as I use the Apple bluetooth magic touchpad. The Russian language install I can live with because I know where everything is anyway. What got me confused was the back two USB ports not working - I could not work out why the external drive I wanted to install on would not show up, nor an external usb keyboard - now I have that bit figured using a usb hub on the left port to get bluetooth, usb drive to install to and keyboard I'm going for the install with XPC anyway to see how I get on - once installed I use kexthelper to install the required kexts anyway.

Mountain Lion DP3 is currently installing so I will let you know how I get on trying to get it to boot and set up.

EDIT: Mountain Lion installed, XPC would not boot it, in the end I went back to Chameleon - Chameleon_2.1svn_r1820_trunk_10.8.pkg which now has support for Mountain Lion, that combined with my existing Lion Extra folder (You could of course also use Vlads files from above) and I also dropped all the kexts from Vlads package above straight into System/Library/Extensions on the Mountain Lion Install - this let me boot up to the setup screen with everything working - only minor issue - Still in Russian! Going to puzzle that bit out next from Vlads suggestion.

Edit 2: It seems the Russian problem was related to Vlads XPC files, I rebuilt my usb installer using the attached Chameleon as bootloader, added vlads extra for install and it booted the installer in English finally- but Vlads smbios.plist must spoof a mac model not supported by Mountain Lion (it checks the device is eligible for install now), fortunately the macbook pro my smibios.plist spoofs is supported so anyone wanting to try out Mountain Lion use Vlads extra for install after installing Chameleon I have attached but then overwrite the smbios.plist with the one I have also attached.

The process then is simple, from installer install Mountain Lion, once done boot into your install usb again but then choose the fresh install, go through the set up process, once on desktop install Chameleon, add Vlad's extra post install replacing the smbios.plist (I used my Lion Extra folder) and use Kext Helper to install all the Kexts Vlad supplies - reboot and with luck all should be good.

I'm interested to see if the random fermi freeze I got from my XPS 17 graphics card on Lion still - only fixed by running Mach Desktop, is finally resolved in Mountain Lion. So far so good Safari is still a bit buggy but I use Firefox so not an issue.

Chameleon_2.1svn_r1820_trunk_10.8.pkg_.zip

smbios.plist.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi vlad! I used the combo to update to 10.7.4 and i had a problem with sound (i knew it because it was mentioned @tonymacx86 blog). I used your extras and extensions files you posted and it fixed the sound but i lost the ethernet internet. Before that i used lnx2mac's kext and it was working but now, even if i have re-installed the same kext and all the ones menioned in iMonz's guide, i still cant fix it. The os cant recognize the ethernet :S. Plz help im broke without internet :S Thanx!!

PS. i can link any file you need to help me :)

hi again! I re-installed lion and updated succesfully to 10.7.4 and i am missing sound as intented. My network is working properly btw! I used the files vlad posted @kexts.com for alc665 and folowed the instructions to install them. Still no sound, so i wonder if you have any tip to fix it! Do we need an updated kext?

hi again! I re-installed lion and updated succesfully to 10.7.4 and i am missing sound as intented. My network is working properly btw! I used the files vlad posted @kexts.com for alc665 and folowed the instructions to install them. Still no sound, so i wonder if you have any tip to fix it! Do we need an updated kext?

I use this.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Thats the file i used, i downloaded from osx86.net (link), it is the file vlad posted there! I installed them with kext wizard and they didnt work (i have the dell xps l501x same as vlad's pc). Note that before the update i had sound working properly with files from iMonz's guide here at insanelymac (vlad knows what i am talking about) and this kext http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1905. It seems its not working anymore :S

Also about this HDEF thing, how i do it? I need to edit my dsdt?

Thats the file i used, i downloaded from osx86.net (link), it is the file vlad posted there! I installed them with kext wizard and they didnt work (i have the dell xps l501x same as vlad's pc). Note that before the update i had sound working properly with files from iMonz's guide here at insanelymac (vlad knows what i am talking about) and this kext http://www.osx86.net...o=file&id=1905. It seems its not working anymore :S

Also about this HDEF thing, how i do it? I need to edit my dsdt?

Give me the dsdt.

Its the dsdt you posted from mediafire. I didn't have any dsdt originally :S. I tried your appleHDA kext and it didn't work again :(. Maybe i should use a voodoo kext? (what i have installed is appleHDA and ioaudiofamily in S/L/E and dell_xps_alc655 kext in extra/extensions as the readmee said!)

dsdt.aml.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Its the dsdt you posted from mediafire. I didn't have any dsdt originally :S. I tried your appleHDA kext and it didn't work again :(. Maybe i should use a voodoo kext? (what i have installed is appleHDA and ioaudiofamily in S/L/E and dell_xps_alc655 kext in extra/extensions as the readmee said!)

Excuse that long did not write, install these two drivers, change for this DSDT, reboot system.

If you use VoodooHDA, remove it.

Saund.zip