ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

Hey!

I bought this board too. Did you overclock your Pentium D 805? I heard that this can be done up to 4 Ghz!!! (I know water-cooling, bought one too)

If yes, could you describe how it runs?

Welcome to the club of ASRockers.

No. I've not had chance to overclock yet. Right now, I'm just stabilizing my hardware and enjoying my new shiny toy. I love it. I look forward to your report on Pentium D 805 with water cooling. BTW, what kind of water cooling did you get? Give us details please. Right now I cannot use anymore money on hardware. I have to wait until Xmas time to get more RAM, Conroe, and better cooling. :) But that's life.

- What are the improvements of the 1.1 bios?

- It seems to be a problem with the samba sharing system does it? i couldn't access to my Windows based PCs through lan :P

- Why does the system show that i'm running @ 1.86ghz and says "2gb of sdram" instead of ddr-sdram ??

- It looks like the chipset is very hot, i changed the heatsink of the southbridge and its fine but the northbridge is very very hot, i can't even touch it with my fingers! how about yours??

- Where may i download the 10.4.7 update??

Thanks a lot :)

I cannot answer all, but I will answer some.

BIOS 1.1 - for Pentium D 805, it will get rid of stuttering effect when playing DVD movies.

SAMBA - I tried many times, but I gave up.

SYSTEM PROFILE - get system profiler from 10.4.4 and make sure your kernel does not have AMD-enabler patch (this throws off your CPU speed). How do you know what patches you have?

type "strings -a /mach_kernel | grep MAXX" at a terminal window.

TYPE OF RAM - I'm not sure, but maybe real mac don't use DDR?

HEAT - both are warm to touch (no overclock here yet)

10.4.7 - :) Bay

Hope this helps

BIOS 1.1 - for Pentium D 805, it will get rid of stuttering effect when playing DVD movies.

SYSTEM PROFILE - get system profiler from 10.4.4 and make sure your kernel does not have AMD-enabler patch (this throws off your CPU speed). How do you know what patches you have?

10.4.7 - :) Bay

Hope this helps

Just one more post. Here is a screen shot showing CHUD tool to monitor both cores.

screenchudtoolwz4.th.png

Infamous: thanks, that's great news! That should allow my E6400 to reach 2800Mhz flawlessy (350*8) :D I should receive all my hw by the end of this week, and then I'll post my impressions.

Did anybody try setFSB on this mobo?

BTW: infamous and others: do you happen to know which "clock generator" this mobo uses?

Update on my machine: I've got almost everything running completely smoothly - e6600 @ 2.7 GHz, stock graphics, 4 GB RAM, 2 SATA HD, Pioneer 110 DVD burner (works). All apps run and updated great.

Sleep issue: I believe sleep works great from the front panel (power button). I even think it works if it times out and puts itself to sleep. If I use the menu "Sleep" function, USB doesn't wake up - not a crash, it just doesn't wake the USB bus. Everything else works, since I'm typing this through a VNC connection to that machine (so LAN works, etc.).

My Console log is this:

Sep 11 06:47:08 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: USBF: 35853. 55 AppleUSBEHCI[0x5430000]::SuspendUSBBus - Async Schedule took 100 loops to turn off

Sep 11 07:50:14 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: System Sleep

Sep 11 07:50:19 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

Sep 11 07:50:19 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: Started CPU 01

Sep 11 07:50:19 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: System Wake

Sep 11 07:50:19 george-plymptons-computer kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.

If there's a way to "restart" the USB bus, I think this problem would be solved. Couldn't find anything. Perhaps having a shell script executed "on wake" with automator or some such would then mask the problem, eh?

PS: 166 on XBench

EDIT: It appears that the USB works from wake on the ROOT hub = anything plugged into the back or front ports. However, if you unplug or replug - even those ports die! Makes sense why I thought it was working - I was testing with an IBM all-in-one keyboard/trackpoint thing in the usb front ports. Testing goes on...

-Dan

i just dont get it. with my specs - and most of u have the same - icant get over 316 fsb solid (112 pcie).

@infamous: i dont wanna doubt your findings, that the pci-e bios setting overclocks ONLY the pci-e bus, but how come that if we leave the setting "FSB to PCI-E" to "sync" the board will NOT oc as well as async? hmm... i am just SO clueless with my 316 mhz :(

greetings"

10.4.7 - :( Bay

Hope this helps

1. You say it...

2. Theres is a Smb-fix for 10.4.7 and for 10.4.5/6

3. It is the CPU description, not the speed...

4. Real Macs USE DDR-Ram (Macs are not so bad as you think :D ). But for the wrong memory, I have no plan

5. Buy a better Chipset cooler or a water cooling system

6. Yep, Piratebay or Demonoid

The aqua cooling is a "Innovatek Set Basic LC (775)" with an extra VGA-cooler. I read about the "dual 4Ghz-Project on "Toms Hardware Guide" and they say the cooling system is good for the overclocked P4! I cannot test it yet because I don't have my new hardware yet. If I have it I can give you a review!

better than this : i bought a Scythe Katana, and installed it face to the chipset heatsink, it's way cooler, and my conroe is between 30 and 35° in a total silence.

here's a picture showing my system (still have no case...)

p1010027fk9.th.jpg

I have also tested the 10.4.7 and the smb patch, both works very well !!

The only thing that makes a difference between my system and a real mac is the "sleep / Awake" mode...

I'm running @ 2250mhz for the moment (320mhz, pcie sync, ddr667) here's my last xbench :

image1gv1.th.png

Hi all! I got it today this motherboard!

I'm asking only two things:

1. The video, i mean hardware acceleration is little bit choppy, i mean when you put a widget on the dashboard is so slowly, and also with the screensaver is sluggy, very slow fps,and for you out there?

2. How to enable audio?

Sorry for my english, i'm a hakintosh newbie, thanks for the help

really apreciated

tia

Alex

Hi all! I got it today this motherboard!

I'm asking only two things:

1. The video, i mean hardware acceleration is little bit choppy, i mean when you put a widget on the dashboard is so slowly, and also with the screensaver is sluggy, very slow fps,and for you out there?

2. How to enable audio?

Sorry for my english, i'm a hakintosh newbie, thanks for the help

really apreciated

tia

Alex

Get BIOS 1.1 immediately.

See earlier post for sound.

better than this : i bought a Scythe Katana, and installed it face to the chipset heatsink, it's way cooler, and my conroe is between 30 and 35° in a total silence.

here's a picture showing my system (still have no case...)

p1010027fk9.th.jpg

I have also tested the 10.4.7 and the smb patch, both works very well !!

The only thing that makes a difference between my system and a real mac is the "sleep / Awake" mode...

I'm running @ 2250mhz for the moment (320mhz, pcie sync, ddr667) here's my last xbench :

image1gv1.th.png

You are brave!!! We like what we see tho'

And theres again an other question: Can you run the GMA950 and a PCI-E (Radeon X1600) parallel? That would be great for dual monitoring ^^

As i understood, the asrock Conroe945G-DVI comes with an DVI Card, that allows Dual Monitors WITHOUT any additional VideoCard - THe GMA950 supports this, and with this board, you have it.

I think it is proved and tested from some people.

I finally got around to updating the Xbench app and doing another run, I've attached those results. As for the video driving dual monitors, I did a test this past weekend to confirm that both the DVI and RGB are active and that you can choose resolutions per display as well as wheither you are running in mirror or extended mode. I'm running an Intel MT/1000 network card that shows up as full gigabit in the "About this Mac" summary.

Easy overclock tutorial:

Under the advanced tab: CPU:

Set Overclock Mode - CPU,PCIE Async.

CPU Freq - 300 - 350 in 5 mHZ steps (start out at 300 or so and work your way up)

PCIE Freq - 117 (just set it and forget it)

Boot Failure - Enabled

Spread Spectrum - Auto

For the rest I've run both the defaults and all enabled

Under the advanced tab: Chipset Settings:

Dram Freq - 200 (start out at 200 with the timings wide open)

Flexibility - Disabled

Config by SPD - Disabled

Next 4 settings starting with CAS - 5/6/6/14 (very loose timings)

VCCM - Auto

VDDQ - Auto

The idea is to find out where the CPU gives it up and then increase the ram timing until that breaks.

As an example, lets say your cooler isn't good enough to carry the CPU to 350 but you can get it to 340. At that point (depending on your ram) I'd bump the Dram Freq to 266 (this is overclocking the ram by a bit as well). Assuming that the ram will run at 266 (and you didn't buy 800 ram) then I'd tighten up the timing by reducing CAS to a 4. Follow up by reducing one number at a time until you have problems. Realize that when the ram gets to the edge of it's ability you may trash your hdd and have to reload. Don't forget to take notes so that you can get back to where you were before the last bump. At this point I run several tests to make sure that the system is stable (load both cores) over an extended time period.

With a decent cooler and ram you should have no difficulity in overclocking the system as far as it will go.

Hopefully this is somewhat useful... :)

XBench.txt

As i understood, the asrock Conroe945G-DVI comes with an DVI Card, that allows Dual Monitors WITHOUT any additional VideoCard - THe GMA950 supports this, and with this board, you have it.

I think it is proved and tested from some people.

Hm, yes, but i want to put my X1600 in it not the GMA... I believe it should work because the DVI-card works too! :)

And passport: GREAT xBench!!!!! WOW I want to have this too :-D