ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

It's not just AsRock. Asus model (very very similiar model, same chipset, mATX) have the exactly same problem. It could be chipset related.

But I'm writing to AsRock today and I'll ask if they can address this "issue".

I re-read your post #61, and I'm seeing the issue. If u do write to them can u post the email so that we can all send them a note, worded little differently.

EMAIL to AsRock, sent to both sales addresses (website states it answers technical questions)

America: sales@asrockamerica.com

Europe: sales@asrock.biz

---------------------------------------

Hello,

according to OCWorkBench, the ConRoe945G-DVI does not POST above 299mhz FSB, if PCIe is async.

I've bought this AsRock board and can confirm that. I've been looking through various forums and found out it's the global "issue" of everyone.

The board is otherwise very stable and well-build with 4 phase power with perfetct Intel chipset, thus I want to ask if it would be possible to release the new BIOS (at least beta-version), which provides some more headroom with PCIe async (locked at 100mhz). I can post at 325mhz FSB if PCIe is synchronised (that's 121mhz), but that of course stresses the ICH7 southbridge and SATA stops working.

The board and chipset itself have no problem posting at that FSB, there's a noticable space for overclocking, but it needs some BIOS improvement maybe. Vcore option would be very, very handy too. The board can utilize better overclocking options in my (our) opinion.

Since the similiar ASUS mATX board with 945G report says it does not post above 299FSB too, i'm guessing it could be also some global chipset/default BIOS limitation.

Thousands of people (looking at the forum thread views and responses) would like to see some BIOS improvement for this board, if that's possible.

Thank you in advance.

regards,

name

According to AsRock's specification, yes you can use 4 GB.

Unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic - I just did some digging (coming from the Mac side, I don't usually see this stuff), but there's 768 MB of potential space lost - or unreachable - due to PCI, PCIe, ACPI, etc.. , mapping that the BIOS/Chipset does. There's all kinds of ways around it, but they reserve that for "high-end" chipsets.

Looks like I'll get - at most - 3.2 GB of usable memory out of my 4 GB that I buy. The other thing is that I'm planning on using on-board graphics - up to 192 MB - which I'm guessing further comes out of that 3.2 GB. Looks like I'll have a 3 GB Hackintosh for a while...

-Dan

EMAIL to AsRock, sent to both sales addresses (website states it answers technical questions)

America: sales@asrockamerica.com

Europe: sales@asrock.biz

---------------------------------------

Thanks Infamous for posting email. That sounded very intelligent!!

I will send another one (re-worded) to put more pressure.

Gigabyte is coming out soon with very fine mATX model. (almost same as AsRock) - No DVI bundle though...

but, Gigabyte had merged with Asus and are being consider as part of the same company.

:)

Dear Dominik,

Actually, it is a known issue....

We tested ASUS 945G board before, it even could not POST over 290 MHz....

We are better than ASUS :blink:

Just like you said, it is the chipset issue.....

Best regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.

Bijsterhuizen 31-51

6604 LV Wijchen

The Netherlands

www.asrock.com

Does any of you know the ASUS P5L-VM 1394 Board ?

http://zeus.asus.com/de/products4.aspx?l1=...amp;modelmenu=1

It seem really to fit OSX86 needs - with Intel GMA 950 Graphics, Conroe Ready, FireWire

But what about the Attansic PCIe Gigabit LAN Controller, the Realtek ALC883 High Definition Audio CODEC ? May they work ?

And: Asus Writes: "The new Intel Graphics engine has new capabilities that provide a significant increase in graphics performance. DirectX 9 hardware acceleration, 400MHz core clock, and up to 224MB of video memory all together provide a full-value, high performance graphic solution to you. Through a dual-independent display technology, different content can be displayed on each monitor or stretched across both displays for more workspace. "

Does this mean that it may be possible to connect a second Monitor somehow, similar to the ASrock board ? But how ? It has only one VGA port, not DVI Card included.

THe HD sound will work with Azalia, as for the GB NIC, you won't know until you tried. worst come to worst, just put in a Realtek 8139 or 8169 NIC, they are very cheap nowadays. :blink:

This goes out to all the ppl having a ASRock Conroe945-DVI and are stuck at 299 Mhz:

just put your FSB/PCIe to async (as some of you already did) AND

put your PCIe-Frequency manually to 112 MHz. Yes, 112, only that value! Enables me and other users of this board to go up to 330 MHz FSB, they say. For me it helps until 316 MHz. and Set your RAM-Settings manually.

Enjoy the new speeds on this in general nice board;)

Cheerio

This goes out to all the ppl having a ASRock Conroe945-DVI and are stuck at 299 Mhz:

just put your FSB/PCIe to async (as some of you already did) AND

put your PCIe-Frequency manually to 112 MHz. Yes, 112, only that value! Enables me and other users of this board to go up to 330 MHz FSB, they say. For me it helps until 316 MHz. and Set your RAM-Settings manually.

Enjoy the new speeds on this in general nice board;)

Cheerio

Thats a half-trick, i thought that putting PCIE sync with fsb gets you to 320mhz? without having to set the PCIE bus @ 112mhz.

Thats a half-trick, i thought that putting PCIE sync with fsb gets you to 320mhz? without having to set the PCIE bus @ 112mhz.

putting fsb to 320 in sync with pcie gives you pretty high pci-oc'ing. does this work with your periphery? sata etc? as far as i remember i can hardly go over 300 with "sync"

cheerio

I can boot to OSX at 350FSB, PCIe set to 117mhz ! 350 is the maximum what bios offers. Maybe it would boot even more.

I'll do some memory tweaking and will post my results, stability etc. Maybe it will need the (easy) PIN mod on the CPU (1.4V, my default is 1,25,rev B2)

Really! this is great news! anyway @ 350mhz DDR2 667 is being overclocked too... we can't really do better.

I don't think the conroe needs upper voltages, it's such a wonder for overcloking! tell us about the stability and potential issues, because at this speed the 945G is being really at its limits.