ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

Wipmac : you have to set your memory options manually, or use the memory ratio divider. I've set the ratio to 200mhz, which makes it work at 533mhz while FSB is at 350 (1400mhz). It's always best to run your memory at 533mhz with lowest possible timings (CL).

Tecnoworld: actually, not "fry", but data corruption while copying/writing may happen. You can put a better cooling on ICH7 (southbridge) and copy 100GB of data (ZIP file) between 2 harddisks. Then create MD5 checkcsum and if it's the same, you are just fine. This can take some hours... Some more, actually. MD5 of 100GB is death :D

6 hours Primestable so far here :)

EDIT: my latest finding is that nothing is overclocked at 117PCIe (PCI,ICH7 and other stuff). Since we are setting PCIe async, everything is kept at at default speed but only PCIe is changed to requested frequency. PCI, ICH7, USBs etc. would be only overclocked -if the PCIe is set to sync- and above 100mhz. So no data corruption or components stressing.

Just a note to other Asrock-ers - you need to install the GMA 900 drivers, too, otherwise you'll get blocky graphics at boot!

So, to install:

JaS 10.4.7

Choose everything you need,

and Intel 10.4.7 Combo Update

and Intel SSE3

and 10.4.7 GMA 900 support

(I'm re-installing now as I type this, I'm going to see if I can "upgrade" instead of a full re-install)

-Dan

my latest finding is that nothing is overclocked at 117PCIe (PCI,ICH7 and other stuff). Since we are setting PCIe async, everything is kept at at default speed but only PCIe is changed to requested frequency. PCI, ICH7, USBs etc. would be only overclocked -if the PCIe is set to sync- and above 100mhz. So no data corruption or components stressing.[/b]

how did u check that? i just dont understand why i cant go over 320 fsb... not even booting into bios. have an extra soundcard and a NIC in the 2 PCI-slots. but if u say the pci slots are not stressed during overclocking, that shouldnt be the problem. ram is set to 5-5-5-5-15. 533mhz. any clues?

plympton : Good to know, thx. I've checked GMA900 but was not sure if it's needed.

Wipmac: Make sure you've got Bios 1.1, everything disabled in CPU section (except VT). Then in memory settings, set the ratio to the first option: 200mhz. That will set your memory to @ 533mhz. Second option will run it 1:1, so 700mhz - your 667mhz memory should handle that. But try to make it run something around 4-4-4-4-10, not more. You can add some voltage at the bottom of the screen... (set to High)

:P

I'm using stock cooler. It seems pretty good enough for 350 FSB :) I've set it to Slow in BIOS, desired temperature 60C. CPU never went to 60C even in 100% load of both cores for whole night. 54C Max. So i guess the cooler is enough... Only reason to replace it would be if you need somethin quieter.

:)

I'm using stock cooler. It seems pretty good enough for 350 FSB :hysterical: I've set it to Slow in BIOS, desired temperature 60C. CPU never went to 60C even in 100% load of both cores for whole night. 54C Max. So i guess the cooler is enough... Only reason to replace it would be if you need somethin quieter.

I'm getting close - I migrated my real G5 HD and it mostly worked. Unfortunately, there was too much {censored}, I think, that messed things up. It transfered apps like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro (had to re-register), and most other apps! Little snitch caused a Kernel Panic, so I had to work around that. But my Wacom tablet worked, and all my customized settings transfered! Plugging in my ethernet caused a syslogd go go nuts (25 watts consumed extra), and Safari wouldn't run, so I'm doing a wipe & reload, and doing a transfer of just files right now - no applications this time.

Sleep: I didn't try sleep, but I tried the front power-button sleep - WORKS! All fans, HD, everything shuts down. Power back on with button and it all came back. I'll be happy if that's all I get.

Temps: Infamous: What are you using to monitor temps in OS X with this MB?

-Dan

I just got done with the burnin on my system and have some numbers. As you can see from the attachment I'm dual-booting OS X and XP. I'm running Patriot 667 memory and the Artic Cooling Pro 7. The system is rock stable at 350 and I could probably tighten the ram timings a bit more (I've run it at a little over 800 with looser timings) by I don't need to find the edge of instability. Thanks for the info, I was stuck at 335 running async @ 113 :)

Xbench.txt post-53926-1157851192_thumb.jpg

I just got done with the burnin on my system and have some numbers. As you can see from the attachment I'm dual-booting OS X and XP. I'm running Patriot 667 memory and the Artic Cooling Pro 7. The system is rock stable at 350 and I could probably tighten the ram timings a bit more (I've run it at a little over 800 with looser timings) by I don't need to find the edge of instability. Thanks for the info, I was stuck at 335 running async @ 113 :hysterical:

Xbench.txt post-53926-1157851192_thumb.jpg

Very nice. :D

However your UI in Xbench is way off base. That's why you are getting such a low result. For reference, I have Pent D 805 and my UI number is 145.

Otherwise, your system rocks (as in AS-Rocks).

Any ideas on the low UI number? I'm running the base JAS 10.4.6 installation with the SSE3 only enabled.

EDIT: Nevermind, the UI number seems to be directly related to the screen refresh rate and may be leftover from when CRTs were the norm. I usually run the LCD @ 60 Hz since it doesn't help a bit to run it faster. The Xbench I got then was very low. I them bumped the refresh rate to 75 Hz and look at the attached numbers. I'm not sure if I would consider that part of XBench a good measure of system performance...

XBench.txt

Passport,

Now, the numbers are what I expected. Top performer.

Note that there is new Xbench, version 1.3.

Drop LCD back to 60Hz and rerun with 1.3. You should get same Xbench numbers as you just posted.

For your reference. my result is in 80's with dual core and 70's with single core.

Hi everybody,

I just got my system ! it runs like hell : 133 Xbench result with an e6300 @2240mhz, 2gb of corsair 667mhz ram, GMA950, and a Seagate SataII 320gb.

I just have two problems :

First : I'm french, and even though i have choosen French in the installation, my system is fully in english (the keyboard is french) how is it possible to turn it onto a frenchy system?

Second : The azalia patch dosen't seem to work, can anybody tell me the right thing to do? i'm not sure of my vendorID / HubID, are they the same on all Conroe945G-DVI boards?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi everybody,

I just got my system ! it runs like hell : 133 Xbench result with an e6300 @2240mhz, 2gb of corsair 667mhz ram, GMA950, and a Seagate SataII 320gb.

Welcome to the club,

Nice setup. Pictures please. :D

Second : The azalia patch dosen't seem to work, can anybody tell me the right thing to do? i'm not sure of my vendorID / HubID, are they the same on all Conroe945G-DVI boards?

Here is a link describing what you have to do:

Replace 882 with 888.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

Well well weell :D

So as i said early on, i finally got my system :

- Conroe e6300 : 170€

- Asrock Conroe945G-DVI : 73€

- Seagate Sata II 320gb : 90€

- Pioneer DVDRW 111D : 31€

- Corsair XMS2 4x512mb DDR-II 667mhz : 185€

- Realtek Pci lan card

- Asus Case TM-211 (looks pretty for a mac system)

Well, the first thing i did when booting, was to set up the fsb to 320mhz with PCIE Sync. It runs very well, Cpu is @ 2250mhz and ddr @ 667mhz. i didnt try anything else for the moment, but it's coming soon :D

Installation goes very simple, just checked SSE2 and 3 and GMA900 drivers. Audio works fine with the azalia patch (thanks Topazbar :D )

This is an Xbench of my machine :

picture2rr7.th.jpg

System, runs very stable, no bug at all, and the conroe was @ 36° when Xbench was running, i use a Scythe Katana Cu.

All is running fine but i have a couple of questions to you guys :

- What are the improvements of the 1.1 bios?

- It seems to be a problem with the samba sharing system does it? i couldn't access to my Windows based PCs through lan :)

- Why does the system show that i'm running @ 1.86ghz and says "2gb of sdram" instead of ddr-sdram ??

- It looks like the chipset is very hot, i changed the heatsink of the southbridge and its fine but the northbridge is very very hot, i can't even touch it with my fingers! how about yours??

- Where may i download the 10.4.7 update??

TopazBar: i did not need to find out my ID for 888. I just used azalia tutorial and it worked. Is there any difference if i set the correct 888 ID ? Is it same on all these boards? If yes, can you post the ID?

Ryanux:

0. You MUST NOT check SSE2 and SSE3. Just SSE3 for Conroe!

1. You better NOT run at 320FSB with PCIe SYNC. That's very dangerous for USB devices and SATA drives. Be careful.

2. Bios 1.1 should support Clock Gen (Windows overclocking utility), but it doesnt work for me anyway

3. It says 1.86 and Sdram because .... just so. Ignore it. It just does.

4. Southbridge - very hot, but it's fine. I'm going to replace it though, with the Zalman thing. And i'll put 50mm active cooler at low speed on the northbridge just to be safe. Very hot too...

5. Jas 10.4.7 update, P2P networks or google it, i found it on some Chinese server. Good luck.

For reference, I have Pent D 805

Hey!

I bought this board too. Did you overclock your Pentium D 805? I heard that this can be done up to 4 Ghz!!! (I know water-cooling, bought one too)

If yes, could you describe how it runs?

TopazBar: i did not need to find out my ID for 888. I just used azalia tutorial and it worked. Is there any difference if i set the correct 888 ID ? Is it same on all these boards? If yes, can you post the ID?

Ryanux:

0. You MUST NOT check SSE2 and SSE3. Just SSE3 for Conroe!

1. You better NOT run at 320FSB with PCIe SYNC. That's very dangerous for USB devices and SATA drives. Be careful.

2. Bios 1.1 should support Clock Gen (Windows overclocking utility), but it doesnt work for me anyway

3. It says 1.86 and Sdram because .... just so. Ignore it. It just does.

4. Southbridge - very hot, but it's fine. I'm going to replace it though, with the Zalman thing. And i'll put 50mm active cooler at low speed on the northbridge just to be safe. Very hot too...

5. Jas 10.4.7 update, P2P networks or google it, i found it on some Chinese server. Good luck.

Well, i checked SSE2 and it runs very well ...

Anybody else for my questions?

Infamous : do you mean that SATA doesn't get overclocked even putting 117Mhz on PCIe? Thanks.

If you set the PCIE,async, manually to 117mhz, nothing else is overclocked. You just set the frequency of your PCIE. The rest of the board is running at stocks. PCI, USB, SATA, PATA (and the whole southbridge). And 117 for PCIe graphics card is fine. Most high-end Nvidia cards can handle 120 without problems.

Hmmm...ok. If it works, that's great. The ID is same for all boards because they use the same chip from Realtek (VendorID=10EC, DevID=0888). I don't know if setting the correct ID makes any difference, but I prefer that way.