VoodooPS2 optimized for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger

Andy Vandijck

151 posts in this topic

Hi Andy,

I have a Synaptics trackpad and with the driver in the first post I am able to use multitouch gestures. But it seems to me that scrolling and tracking speed is relatively slow compared to other versions of trackpad driver I tried.

Previously, I was using VoodooPS2Controller and my trackpad was seen as mouse. Prior to install this new driver, I changed tracking and scrolling speed to maximum but still it is slow.

Is there a way to increase the resolution of the trackpad?

Thanks,

:D:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Thats Works Great!!! I'm using 10.6.6i By Hazard on my Acer 5920-103G25Mi !!!

Very very very thanks for your work. Work Like a native trackpad!!!

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy,

I have a Synaptics trackpad and with the driver in the first post I am able to use multitouch gestures. But it seems to me that scrolling and tracking speed is relatively slow compared to other versions of trackpad driver I tried.

Previously, I was using VoodooPS2Controller and my trackpad was seen as mouse. Prior to install this new driver, I changed tracking and scrolling speed to maximum but still it is slow.

Is there a way to increase the resolution of the trackpad?

Thanks,

If you are not happy with the resolution of the trackpad. Install Better Touch Tool and then click Advance Trackpad. Increase the trackpad speed as you desire. Quit Better Touch Tool. You don't need it anymore.

If you go to System Preferences > Trackpad, you will notice that trackpad speed is in the middle. Don't touch it. If you move it, it will revert back to how it was :) I know weird, but it works.

Finally, don't forget to increase the double clicking speed as otherwise clicking will not perform well.

hi andy, is it possible to reduce the lag in drag-lock enabled feature of voodoops2 trackpad ? Which are the parameters to reduce the lag when, once tapped, the click is released ? I have a true magic trackpad and it works great with NO LAG! If i can help you in any way to increase such driver please let me know!

Thanks!

Mal

Thanks for all of the work everyone here has put into making a good working kext for the Alps Trackpad.

I am using the VoodooPS2Controller.kext that Brett posted a couple pages up, and it works pretty well as far as two-finger scrolling and tapping goes. My problem, and it's been an ongoing problem, is that, with my Dell Inspiron 1720, the voodooPS2Controller.kext causes a kp about 4 out of 5 times. It usually takes me about 4-5 tries to get my laptop to boot up properly. Once it does, it works fine. It appears to be linked solely to the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext plugin. Even more specifically, it has to do with the last 5-6 lines at the end of the Info.plist in the trackpad kext. The kp's I get always relate to dependencies to IOACPIFamily.kext and apple.com.kpi.mach. Any ideas to make reboots less of a bother?

I have a strange issue with this kext. I have a synaptics v6.3, though more often than not the detected version is v6.5.

When detected as 6.3 it works perfectly, without any need to change settings.

Do you have any ideas?

Can the version be forced or is it possibly not getting the right response from the hardware?

Thanks in advance

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

first things first: thanks and congrats; now, when I used this kext I placed it on /E/E after changing 'Console' to 'Root' in the info.plist files, booted just fine and when I tried the combination Ctrl+Alt+Logo+F12 guess what happened... Nothing! nothing happened (I think I'm screwing my english... sorry.) Anyhow, I like the F12 to pull the cd tray out and in, so I went back to good'ol VoodooPS2Controller+AppleACPIPS2 dynamic duo (lol) ... but would love to see this project go further.

the specs:

post-157409-1303000443_thumb.png

first things first: thanks and congrats; now, when I used this kext I placed it on /E/E after changing 'Console' to 'Root' in the info.plist files, booted just fine and when I tried the combination Ctrl+Alt+Logo+F12 guess what happened... Nothing! nothing happened (I think I'm screwing my english... sorry.) Anyhow, I like the F12 to pull the cd tray out and in, so I went back to good'ol VoodooPS2Controller+AppleACPIPS2 dynamic duo (lol) ... but would love to see this project go further.

the specs:

post-157409-1303000443_thumb.png

This doesn't work for me in E/E at all. It only works for me in S/L/E. Have you tried installing it there?

• 2 weeks later...

Does this kext works for a Desktop ? I'm currently using AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext with my old ps/2 keyboard.

If It does can anyone tell me how to make It work ?

Thanks

Does this kext works for a Desktop ? I'm currently using AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext with my old ps/2 keyboard.

If It does can anyone tell me how to make It work ?

Thanks

I'm not sure that you need this kext since your goal is not to get two-finger scrolling for an Alps Trackpad. I would try the Vanilla ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext first.

Hi Andy,

On Desktop, I tried this new VoodooPS2 kext & now I do not need the AppleACPIPS2Nub2.kext but my PS/2 mouse down not work still. Reason I tried this because the original VoodooPS2 kext that came with iATKOS S3 does not work for the PS/2 mouse. I use a USB mouse with a USB-to-PS/2 converter.

On windows 7, same mouse works on PS/2.

I removing the trackpad kext in plugin folder, leaving ps2keyboard & ps2mouse, as below & rebuild the mkest but still I did not get the mouse on PS/2.

192-168-1-101:PlugIns mathew$ ls -l

total 0

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 3 May 12:17 VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 3 May 12:17 VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

192-168-1-101:PlugIns mathew$ pwd

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

192-168-1-101:PlugIns mathew$

Do you have any idea to check/get this?

Thanks & regards,

Mathew

Hi Andy,

Just an update;

I tried with a PS/2 mouse, without the USB-to-PS/2 converter, PS/2 mouse worked with this kext.

That means USB mouse with a USB-to-PS/2 converter does not work with this kext.

My question is still; Does this kext has the ability to wake up the OSX from sleep?

Anybody has success in waking up the OSX with this kext?

Regards,

Mathew

I have a synaptics touchpad, which is recognized as an alps, the result is that the correct drivers are not loaded and the I can't use it.

Someone found that in the id sequence it returns 0x02 instead of the expected 0x47 and that results in the touchpad not to be recognized as a synaptics.

void ApplePS2Mouse::interruptOccurred(UInt8 data)	  // PS2InterruptAction
{
 //
 // This will be invoked automatically from our device when asynchronous mouse
 // needs to be delivered.  Process the mouse data.   Do NOT send any BLOCKING
 // commands to our device in this context.
 //
 // We ignore all bytes until we see the start of a packet, otherwise the mouse
 // packets may get out of sequence and things will get very confusing.
 //
 if (_packetByteCount == 0 && ((data == kSC_Acknowledge) || !(data & 0x08)))
 {
IOLog("%s: Unexpected data from PS/2 controller.\n", getName());
return;
 }

I mean, it is using voodooPS2mouse.kext instead, because the driver is not loaded properly, due to the synaptic trackpad is recognized as ALPS. The behaviour is pretty good (having into account that is working with voodooPS2mouse instead voodooPS2trackpad), but when it wakes from sleep, there is an erratic movement from trackpad and I have the following in the kernel.log:

- ApplePS2mouse: unexpected data received from PS2 controller.

- ApplePS2controller: timed out on mouse input stream.

Someone could take a look on it.

By the way my trackpad is a Synaptic (ID: SYN0166, ID COMPATIBLES: SYN0100, SYN0002, PNP0F13).

The computer is a 8540w.

Here is a thread:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1803.0.html

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Guys, can anyone update us on the latest version used for this driver? Now that we have 10.6.7 and expecting 10.6.8 (end-of-life for SL) can we summarize it all up? What version of the driver are you successfully using? And what's in your DSDT.dsl for PS2M as ID?

Cheers...

• 1 month later...

Hi, all

I found that there are two issue in my case:

1)I get a wrong keys by using the VoodooPS2Controller, my ' ` ' key now is between left shift and z, but in fact, between them has no key. the real ' ` ' key will print ' § ' and shift ' ` ' should print ' ~ ', but it becomes ' ± '

2)With this kext, it also fail to change the keyboard's type, I don't know if this cause some combine key function fail, e.g. Ctrl+ALt+F12 is quick reboot, but it's not working now

Aug  3 01:35:37 TEMP kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unknown extended scan code: 0xe3
Aug  3 01:35:37 TEMP kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unknown extended scan code: 0x63

Any way to fix these two issues? Thanks in advance.

I rebuilt (and slightly rewrote) VoodooPS2 for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger.

This does not need a nub so delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext before install (Don't delete on Tiger though).

The nub is built directly into the VoodooPS2Controller.

For Tiger the nub is dropped because it is present allready in AppleACPIPlatform.kext's plugins.

I also implemented Slice's multimedia keys fix (working now) and the high resolution fix (2400 dpi for Synaptics).

NOTE: If you have a Synaptics touchpad make sure to set the speed to high prior to installation (in Apple Trackpad prefpane).

The speed of the Synaptics touchpad now starts on max (new fix).

The tapping function for ALPS should work too now...

Happy X-Mas to everybody too and a happy new year. -_-

Download including sources:

http://rapidshare.com/files/440463070/VoodooPS2.zip

Or download below...

The built products are under build/Release (Tiger/Leopard)

I've recompiled VoodooPS for the M1530 with the `/~ key fix as described by ThirdSmile.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

I am currently using this build, but it has a problem which also occurred with the stock VoodooPS2. I have it correctly installed to /SLE, and it enables my PS/2 keyboard during boot, but then something disables it about 5 seconds before displaying the login screen. I have to unplug and replug my keyboard to activate it again. It then disables it again immediately after I log in, forcing another replug cycle.

Sleep mode works, though, and the keyboard continues to work after waking, allowing me to unlock the desktop without any further replug cycles, at least until the next reboot.

My Console is filled with:

8/7/11 10:11:50.000 PM bootlog: BOOT_TIME 1312780310 0

8/7/11 10:12:01.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:12:20.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected acknowledge from PS/2 controller.

8/7/11 10:12:20.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:12:20.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected acknowledge from PS/2 controller.

8/7/11 10:12:20.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:12:21.000 PM kernel: VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad loaded

8/7/11 10:12:21.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected acknowledge from PS/2 controller.

8/7/11 10:12:21.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:12:21.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected acknowledge from PS/2 controller.

8/7/11 10:12:21.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:13:05.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

8/7/11 10:13:05.000 PM kernel: ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected resend request from PS/2 controller.

It seems this mouse timeout happens every time the keyboard is being disconnected.

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed it by deleting the VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Trackpad kexts from the Contents/PlugIns folder inside the VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Naturally, this is only a fix for a problem where there is a PS/2 keyboard but no mouse or trackpad attached. (Maybe removing just the Mouse extension also fixes it for keyboard plus trackpad, but I have no idea as I don't have a trackpad attached, and I don't want to install this mess on my laptop just to test it with its Elan trackpad.)

EDIT again: This driver claims to have fixed the issue with PS/2 keyboards not working without a mouse present, but there's no source for whichever driver version it fixed. Maybe the author is still around so they can shed some light on what needed fixing, to save the trouble of anyone else looking for it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

someone have trackpad preference panel workin il lion in 64 bit mode? mine it's working but in 32 bit mode. Thank you

p.s. I'm speaking about alps touchpad not synaptics

Alps works with vanilla Trackpad Pref Pane so the question to Apple if it doesn't work in 64bit mode.

Greetings to everyone. Shall I assume this project is dead? Andy? Any updates on the driver you compiled? Thanks.

The project is finished. All participants have working driver.

Alps works with vanilla Trackpad Pref Pane so the question to Apple if it doesn't work in 64bit mode.

The project is finished. All participants have working driver.

I'd still like to see if any work is being done on getting multi-touch gestures working for Synaptics trackpads in Lion. My system has support for two-finger scrolling but no 3 or 4-finger gestures seem to be working. :(

• 1 year later...