VoodooPS2 optimized for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger

Andy Vandijck

151 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does the backtic/tilde key no longer work?

Everything else is perfect on my XPS 1530, but this key returns § and ± instead of the backtic/tilde it should. I would have thought the §/± would be when the option key and a key was pressed?

Cheers,

Brett

Everything else is perfect on my XPS 1530, but this key returns § and ± instead of the backtic/tilde it should. I would have thought the §/± would be when the option key and a key was pressed?

Cheers,

Brett

It is good to see that you're still around, Brett. It is not just you, I am too experiencing the same issue ever since the VoodooPS2Controller.kext update.

Cheers,

Brett

I have fixed this, for my hp6720, by modify ApplePS2ToADBMap.h(replaced this code "0x0a, // 29 `~" by this one "0x32, // 29 `~"), maybe this help to you too...

Also I have made some fixes in VoodooPSKeyboard( they are ONLY for hp6720), and fixed some bugs (in synapticsconfigload, and VoodooPS2SynapticsPane) and compilation errors(probably they was because my xcode version)

Modified sources: VoodooPS2_hp6720.zip

ThirdSmile, I assume you recompiled it completely after those changes and rebuilt the kext?

Yes I am still around, have been flat out with work (new job) and moved back to a dual boot for my XPS so have been spending time in both OSes.

I have not touched C-States for a while, need to catch up on what progress has been made elsewhere and see if we can incorporate it into our DSDT.

Cheers

Brett

I've recompiled VoodooPS for the M1530 with the `/~ key fix as described by ThirdSmile. Worked perfectly, just had to make a change in the code from clock_get_uptime(&now); to clock_get_uptime((uint64_t *)&now); for the latest Xcode 3.2.5 as it wouldn't compile for the file VoodooPS2Keyboard.cpp.

This has been compiled as x86_64 by the way.

Cheers,

Brett

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

I've recompiled VoodooPS for the M1530 with the `/~ key fix as described by ThirdSmile. Worked perfectly, just had to make a change in the code from clock_get_uptime(&now); to clock_get_uptime((uint64_t *)&now); for the latest Xcode 3.2.5 as it wouldn't compile for the file VoodooPS2Keyboard.cpp.

This has been compiled as x86_64 by the way.

Cheers,

Brett

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

Thanks, I shall test this forthwith and report the results shortly. On a different note, until recently I have been using your April 12, 2010 DSDT.aml per: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780 which hasn't been updated since then. Just a few days ago oSxFr33k has graced me with his current DSDT.aml which thus far has served me quite well. As you and I have seemingly identical machines, would you care to share your current, latest and best DSDT.aml with myself and the group? Namely, I am looking for the system fan control via FakeSMC.kext hardware sensors monitoring functionality. The ACPIMonitor.kext which allows that, requires the modification of an existing DSDT.aml.

Thanks, I shall test this forthwith and report the results shortly. On a different note, until recently I have been using your April 12, 2010 DSDT.aml per: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780 which hasn't been updated since then. Just a few days ago oSxFr33k has graced me with his current DSDT.aml which thus far has served me quite well. As you and I have seemingly identical machines, would you care to share your current, latest and best DSDT.aml with myself and the group? Namely, I am looking for the system fan control via FakeSMC.kext hardware sensors monitoring functionality. The ACPIMonitor.kext which allows that, requires the modification of an existing DSDT.aml.

I haven't done any work on the DSDT since then, I cleaned up a few things like re-labelling but that was it. Been far too busy with work and not really spent any time on the XPS :( Other than having a new MB/heatsink/HDD/keyboard again :(

I haven't done any work on the DSDT since then, I cleaned up a few things like re-labelling but that was it. Been far too busy with work and not really spent any time on the XPS :) Other than having a new MB/heatsink/HDD/keyboard again :(

I see. Was the replacement done by a way of Dell's original warranty or an NVidia settlement? I am curious because I'd like to yet again do the same, just in case. By the way, your modified and recompiled VoodooPS2Controller.kext functions as intended. Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks this driver works lovely is there anyway though it can be ran through E/E and not S/L/E as it would then be handy for the bootCD i am making.

Never tested /E/E but I rather doubt it.

For that install DVD you best put the VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /S/L/E and repack /S/L/E.mkext...

andy am i the only report of dead touchpad and keyboard after sleep in 10.5.8 dell laptop ? synaptics

its strange. i have to reinstall the kext for it to work again. like it looses permissions after sleep

on the good side: i install old vodoops2 back and it kept the settings so its working lovely with old and new settings it added plus works after sleep.

andy am i the only report of dead touchpad and keyboard after sleep in 10.5.8 dell laptop ? synaptics

its strange. i have to reinstall the kext for it to work again. like it looses permissions after sleep

on the good side: i install old vodoops2 back and it kept the settings so its working lovely with old and new settings it added plus works after sleep.

Same issue, but keyboard works well, just the trackpad is dead.

thanks this driver works lovely is there anyway though it can be ran through E/E and not S/L/E as it would then be handy for the bootCD i am making.

Never tested /E/E but I rather doubt it.

For that install DVD you best put the VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /S/L/E and repack /S/L/E.mkext...

I have always placed the VoodooPS2Controller.kext in the /Extra/Extensions/ directory, and it had always loaded and ran successfully from the said directory.

First of all, thank you for contribution, guys! This stuff is awesome, I almost done binding my special keys.

Touchpad is not working at all on HP Compaq 610 with Synaptics 7.2. When I try to open Preference Pane system shows me an error message with "ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint not found" or "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" depending on what kext version I installed.

Also I have 4 keys on my keyboard labeled as below:

Scroll/NumLk (+Fn)

Pause/Break (+Fn)

Insert/Prt Sc (+Fn)

Delete/Sys Rq (+Fn)

Somehow I've been able to find appropriate scancodes in kernel.log and convert them for two last keys. But first two just decrease/increase screen brightness (GMA X3100) ignoring that I already bind Fn+F7/Fn+F8 for that purpose. And my question is: How to disable wrong functionality and bind at least NumLock as it should be?

Scroll Lock returns 0x46, Pause returns 0x45, with Fn pressed both of them return some f**king E1-C6-9D sequence. So what can you say?

Guys, thanks all for your hard work and input, I would like to also try to use this kext on my Dell Mini 10v (already setup using meklort's NetBookInstaller) but I am lost in the revisions of the kext that people post in this thread.

Can I possibly request a revision or date-based system? Besides Andy and Brett Whinnen, who else posted an improved or modified version? Andy, your own version is still the first one, on the first post?

Compiling on MacOSX is not my forte, so any help is always welcome. Cheers.

I rebuilt (and slightly rewrote) VoodooPS2 for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger.

This does not need a nub so delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext before install (Don't delete on Tiger though).

The nub is built directly into the VoodooPS2Controller.

For Tiger the nub is dropped because it is present allready in AppleACPIPlatform.kext's plugins.

I also implemented Slice's multimedia keys fix (working now) and the high resolution fix (2400 dpi for Synaptics).

NOTE: If you have a Synaptics touchpad make sure to set the speed to high prior to installation (in Apple Trackpad prefpane).

The speed of the Synaptics touchpad now starts on max (new fix).

The tapping function for ALPS should work too now...

Happy X-Mas to everybody too and a happy new year. :(

Download including sources:

http://rapidshare.com/files/440463070/VoodooPS2.zip

Or download below...

The built products are under build/Release (Tiger/Leopard)

Hi Andy,

thanks for your hard work!!!

One question, any chance to add support for ELAN Smart-Pad? I've it in my Asus U30JC (I've seen on forums some other Asus'es have it)... Right now I've to use ApplePS2Controller+AppleACPIPS2Nub.

Thanks in advance,

fingerr.

I rebuilt (and slightly rewrote) VoodooPS2 for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger.

This does not need a nub so delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext before install (Don't delete on Tiger though).

The nub is built directly into the VoodooPS2Controller.

For Tiger the nub is dropped because it is present allready in AppleACPIPlatform.kext's plugins.

I also implemented Slice's multimedia keys fix (working now) and the high resolution fix (2400 dpi for Synaptics).

NOTE: If you have a Synaptics touchpad make sure to set the speed to high prior to installation (in Apple Trackpad prefpane).

The speed of the Synaptics touchpad now starts on max (new fix).

The tapping function for ALPS should work too now...

Happy X-Mas to everybody too and a happy new year. :(

Download including sources:

http://rapidshare.com/files/440463070/VoodooPS2.zip

Or download below...

The built products are under build/Release (Tiger/Leopard)

do you know how to use saitek rat 5 usb mouse best mouse ever but not performed well on osx because no drivers

Advanced mouse configuration

Have a mouse with plenty of buttons but some of them don't work under Linux ? Fear not, here's a not so simple tutorial on how to configure those extra buttons. Be before we get to the configuration of the buttons, my own RAT7 mouse had two problems: it's too fast even at its lowest dpi setting, and it doesn't let you click normally on windows.

1 - Mouse identification

First, let's identify the mouse name and its id. We'll use this later:

$ xinput list

Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

Note: Some mice, like Logitech, show up double: the first is actualy the mouse driver while the 2nd is a keyboard driver making their configuration simpler, normally all the buttons work out of the box on any OS.

2 - Slowing down the mouse

The following command can slow down any mouse that goes too fast on Linux. Play around with the '5' if the speed is not to your liking:

$ xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 5

And in order to have it activated automatically, I set up the following script in ~/bin/SetMouse.sh:

#!/bin/sh

xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 5

#xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 1

And in [system settings][startup and shutdown][Autostart] I add an entry in [script file] pointing to that script. Done.

3 - Button identification

Run the following, then clic on the window that appears with your various buttons and rotate you various wheels. Write down their numbers.

$ xev | grep button

state 0x10, button 1, same_screen YES

state 0x110, button 1, same_screen YES

state 0x10, button 3, same_screen YES

state 0x410, button 3, same_screen YES

state 0x10, button 5, same_screen YES

state 0x1010, button 5, same_screen YES

4 - Button removal

Apparently the RAT7 mouse has a 'mode' button with 3 configurations and one of them is always pressed, so it interfere with the other buttons. We'll simply remove it. As root, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add (or change) the following section in order to remove the 'buttons' 13, 14 and 15:

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Mouse Remap"

MatchProduct "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse"

MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"

# Specific to the Saitek RAT7 mouse

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 0 0 0 16 17 18 19 20 21"

EndSection

You'll need to restart X or reboot before this comes into effect:

sudo service kdm restart

5 - Button configuration

$ sudo aptitude install imwheel

Update the file /etc/X11/imwheel/startup.conf with the buttons you want imwheel to take care of (as root). It's not very clear but the various numbers correspond to the actions, in order: Left, Right, Up, Down, Thumb1, Thumb2, ExtBt7, ExtBt8... So here it basically mean that we let X11 handle the left/right buttons as well as the wheel, but we ask ImWheel to assign butotn 8 to Action Thumb1, etc...

IMWHEEL_START=1

IMWHEEL_PARAMS='-b "0 0 0 0 8 9 10 11 12"'

Now configure the button actions themselves in the file /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc (as root):

".*"

None, Thumb1, End

None, Thumb2, Home

None, ExtBt7, Page_Down

None, ExtBt8, Page_Up

None, ExtBt9, Alt_L|Left

Here I have set the red thumb button to [back] in Firefox, the thumb buttons to Home/End and the thumb wheel the PageUp/PageDown so that it works in any application.

Bonjour et bonne année 2011 à tous,

j'ai eut le même problème avec ma toute nouvelle R.A.T.7. Voici la solution.

1/ Faire une copie de sauvegarde de votre configuration :

$ sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.sav

2/ Editer le fichier de configuration X11 :

$ gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3/ Saisir votre mot de passe

4/ Ajouter les lignes suivantes dans le fichier /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Mouse Remap"

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10 11 12 0 0 0 16 17 18 19 20 21"

EndSection

5/ Sauvegarder les modifications puis redémarrer X11 ou plus simplement le PC.

Ce reporter au lien ci-dessous pour les explications techniques :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/615892

://https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+...… bug/615892

can you performed something with it thanks

ps mine rat 5 is 4000dpi

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=435460

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/Linux.html

do you know how to use saitek rat 5 usb mouse best mouse ever but not performed well on osx because no drivers

Advanced mouse configuration

Have a mouse with plenty of buttons but some of them don't work under Linux ? Fear not, here's a not so simple tutorial on how to configure those extra buttons. Be before we get to the configuration of the buttons, my own RAT7 mouse had two problems: it's too fast even at its lowest dpi setting, and it doesn't let you click normally on windows.

1 - Mouse identification

First, let's identify the mouse name and its id. We'll use this later:

$ xinput list

Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

Note: Some mice, like Logitech, show up double: the first is actualy the mouse driver while the 2nd is a keyboard driver making their configuration simpler, normally all the buttons work out of the box on any OS.

2 - Slowing down the mouse

The following command can slow down any mouse that goes too fast on Linux. Play around with the '5' if the speed is not to your liking:

$ xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 5

And in order to have it activated automatically, I set up the following script in ~/bin/SetMouse.sh:

#!/bin/sh

xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 5

#xinput --set-prop "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse" "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 1

And in [system settings][startup and shutdown][Autostart] I add an entry in [script file] pointing to that script. Done.

3 - Button identification

Run the following, then clic on the window that appears with your various buttons and rotate you various wheels. Write down their numbers.

$ xev | grep button

state 0x10, button 1, same_screen YES

state 0x110, button 1, same_screen YES

state 0x10, button 3, same_screen YES

state 0x410, button 3, same_screen YES

state 0x10, button 5, same_screen YES

state 0x1010, button 5, same_screen YES

4 - Button removal

Apparently the RAT7 mouse has a 'mode' button with 3 configurations and one of them is always pressed, so it interfere with the other buttons. We'll simply remove it. As root, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add (or change) the following section in order to remove the 'buttons' 13, 14 and 15:

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Mouse Remap"

# Specific to the Saitek RAT7 mouse

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 0 0 0 16 17 18 19 20 21"

EndSection

You'll need to restart X or reboot before this comes into effect:

sudo service kdm restart

5 - Button configuration

$ sudo aptitude install imwheel

Update the file /etc/X11/imwheel/startup.conf with the buttons you want imwheel to take care of (as root). It's not very clear but the various numbers correspond to the actions, in order: Left, Right, Up, Down, Thumb1, Thumb2, ExtBt7, ExtBt8... So here it basically mean that we let X11 handle the left/right buttons as well as the wheel, but we ask ImWheel to assign butotn 8 to Action Thumb1, etc...

IMWHEEL_START=1

IMWHEEL_PARAMS='-b "0 0 0 0 8 9 10 11 12"'

Now configure the button actions themselves in the file /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc (as root):

".*"

None, Thumb1, End

None, Thumb2, Home

None, ExtBt7, Page_Down

None, ExtBt8, Page_Up

None, ExtBt9, Alt_L|Left

Here I have set the red thumb button to [back] in Firefox, the thumb buttons to Home/End and the thumb wheel the PageUp/PageDown so that it works in any application.

Bonjour et bonne année 2011 à tous,

j'ai eut le même problème avec ma toute nouvelle R.A.T.7. Voici la solution.

1/ Faire une copie de sauvegarde de votre configuration :

$ sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.sav

2/ Editer le fichier de configuration X11 :

$ gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3/ Saisir votre mot de passe

4/ Ajouter les lignes suivantes dans le fichier /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Mouse Remap"

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10 11 12 0 0 0 16 17 18 19 20 21"

EndSection

5/ Sauvegarder les modifications puis redémarrer X11 ou plus simplement le PC.

Ce reporter au lien ci-dessous pour les explications techniques :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/615892

can you performed something with it thanks

ps mine rat 5 is 4000dpi

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=435460

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/Linux.html

That's for a USB mouse... this driver is for a PS2 one...

You should use AnyAppleUSBMouse.kext (with vendor and device id modified inside the Info.plist), then it should get recognized as Apple mouse.

If that still doesn't fix up the acceleration table inside the accel part of the Info.plist.

Let me know if this works for you...

Just follow tutorial for AnyAppleUSBMouse.kext (available on this forum).

With this VoodooPS2Controller I loose sleep/wake capability.

Returning back to ApplePS2Controller+AppleACPIPS2Nub I restore good sleep/wake.

With this controller I can use VoodooPS2Keyboard and VoodooPS2Trackpad driver.

But trackpad driver needs to be rewritten for more functionality.

For my APLS trackpad I don't need VoodooPS2.prefPane. Native Apple's trackpad.perfPane works.

With this VoodooPS2Controller I loose sleep/wake capability.

Returning back to ApplePS2Controller+AppleACPIPS2Nub I restore good sleep/wake.

With this controller I can use VoodooPS2Keyboard and VoodooPS2Trackpad driver.

For my APLS trackpad I don't need VoodooPS2.prefPane. Native Apple's trackpad.perfPane works.

Dear Slice, please tell us (a) what laptop are you using the driver for and (:) which compiled binaries you are using because no-one replied to my previous question about the compiled kext... Is it Andy's or Brett Whinnen's?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Slice, please tell us (a) what laptop are you using the driver for and (B) which compiled binaries you are using because no-one replied to my previous question about the compiled kext... Is it Andy's or Brett Whinnen's?

Thanks in advance.

ApplePS2.zip

Better driver

PS2drivers_v116.zip