New Parallels Beta and future "fast 3D graphics support"

Swad

13 posts in this topic

Parallels released a new beta today with better support for USB devices and, can you believe it, all the keys on the keyboard! This beta has absolutely nothing - and we mean nothing - to do with the yesterday's announcement of VMware for Mac.

They're also working on some great features for future editions of their virtualization software. In what sounds deceptively like an interview with one of Santa's reindeer, MacWorld enlightens us thusly:

Rudolph also pointed to further improvements in Parallels Desktop for Mac, including what’s described as “a groundbreaking new user interface that will make running Windows on a Mac easier and more productive than ever before;” new security and management tools; the ability to burn CDs and DVDs inside virtual machines and a new Server for Mac OS X product.

What’s more, Parallels Desktop for Mac will see “fast 3D graphics support,” presumably to help cater to gamers who want to run Windows games without having to reboot their machine using Boot Camp and a separate Windows partition. Also planned is support for Microsoft’s forthcoming Windows Vista, the major update to Windows Microsoft has planned for the first calendar quarter of 2007.

Begun, the VM wars have.

I don't think we will be able to run vista in virtualization because of its extreme requirements. It need at least 512MB of RAM and 1GB is recommended. most of us have 512 and if we assign all of them to vista the whole system will crash. If you use less, vista wouldn't even install. This is possible for people who have 1 or 2 GB of RAM.

If anybody manages to max out their Mac Pro with 16gb of ram, I'm sure Vista will run faster in virtualization than it would on most PCs natively. I wonder if the Mac version of VMware will implement a way to use one of the dual Xeons as a dedicated CPU for the virtualized machine. That would be insanely fast!