just came out , ordered one.

6850 is

- shorter 9.25"

- 14W Idle

- 1.5 Teraflops

- 1x full size display port

- 1x HDMI

- 2x DVI

got the gigabyte, with 2 fans, will see how quiet it is,....

10.6.5 should have some drivers , otherwise I'll try with chameleon.

should be in next tuesday,...

for requests pm/post

I'll dump the rom for starters

the 6870

- 19W idle,

- needs 2 power connectors, 500W+ PSU

that's the other reason I got the 6850, got a fanless psu, and the other one is 450W,

did not feel, to do the psu at the same time yet,...

- might need power adapter, if you only have 1 left, or new psu

- 2 teraflops,

- faster memory bandwidth

- 10.3" long, but don't forget the power cables, they stick out too,

that means, 11" , better measure

- dual slot, of course,....

to do:

- rom dump

- once running, xbench,...

- glview

- 2 monitor test

- hdmi

- displayport test

- retire gt 240 fanless (works perfect, just slow on games, my son is getting bigger)

is there a way with opencl ? h.264 encoding be nice ....

6850 is

- shorter 9.25"

- 14W Idle

- 1.5 Teraflops

- 1x HDMI

- 2x DVI

for requests pm/post

t

Hi Robert

Hopefully First settlers don´t get get the arrows ....

6850 is based on a revised Juniper chip (HD 5770)

so you may be lucky with some modifications

but I heavily doubt it will work out of the box

and Apple will support it with modified drivers

in near future

OPEN CL app:

"Starfire" is a new app based on OPENCL-very fast H.264 encoding !

I ordered the SAPPHIRE 6850. I'm looking forward to getting it working in OS X. I'm also hoping it works with my new Apple Cinema Display; my 5770 did not.

We're in the same boat aside from the fact that i'll be retiring from my 4850 (sapphire also)

going with the same sapphire 6850 from newegg because sapphire cards personally are easier for me to deal with on a regular basis.

If my 4850 starts to feel a little cold I'll just drop it into the 2nd pci-e slot but just leave the power connector disconnected so it stays a little warmer. =)

Of course I don't expect it to be plug and play like the 5xxx series were but that's why I have a windows installed so I can drift into another OS if I want a little satisfaction.

does starfire , also work with nvidia cards ?

could not find anything on their website

the trial, does not get a bench feel.

uh, the 6850, and 6870, are not only shrink die,

they are different,....

still looking for 10.6.5 kexts,....

then again, the hardware, might be enough driver compatible,

the other thing,... think the 6850 and 6870 are same die, aka some streams disabled in rom,

so in a pinch, a reflash might work aka nvidia, but that's not what I'am looking for.

even if it get's running with 5770 drivers, and only uses 800 streams, it;s still

lower power consumption, and has 256bit memory,... hope also some power managment, and fan controll

is cleaner.

On netkas site under the topic Some News about latest 10.6.5 beta there is mentioned that in the drivers of this build Cayman (6970 6950) Barts (6870 6850) are supported.

So if can get hold of these drivers than I hope to read about your success in getting the card to work fully with OSX.

Will be following closely; I am saucing my boss to get a 6870 for my workstation.

Can work on Windows; but OSX is so much more pleasant..

Just a shame Radeons are so tricky to get running; nVivia with graphics enabler is a joy.

edit: Just got it ; it seems I / we will have to wait for 10.6.5. (at least the drivers should be there)

On netkas site under the topic Some News about latest 10.6.5 beta there is mentioned that in the drivers of this build Cayman (6970 6950) Barts (6870 6850) are supported.

So if can get hold of these drivers than I hope to read about your success in getting the card to work fully with OSX.

Saw that too, that's why I have some hope.

I'm still unsure though.

Hmm.... So Barts is supported in 10.6.5... My happiness level is peaking and I haven't even received my card yet

on a side not the 256 bit interface is what lead me to holdout on getting a 5770.

Hmm.... So Barts is supported in 10.6.5... My happiness level is peaking and I haven't even received my card yet

on a side not the 256 bit interface is what lead me to holdout on getting a 5770.

Not sure it is actually 'supported'. It was 'referenced' in one of the 10.6.5b drivers (ATIRadeonX3000.kext) nothing more at the moment.

Not sure it is actually 'supported'. It was 'referenced' in one of the 10.6.5b drivers nothing more at the moment.

yepp ..

I wish you all the very best guys and not so many arrows ..this is a very nice card

in fact - designed like the 5770 should have been designed from the beginning with 256 bit interface

one hope:

Miss Juniper is very forgiving with flashing

in fact I flashed her (sapphire 5770 rev.3) 6 or seven times and she liked it.

for the early adopters : if possible I would look for a Sapphire 68xx , in my OSx86 ATI career

I saw a lot of cards and Sapphire often were the ones which were closest to ATIs reference design.

@rschultz

Starfire should work with nVidia as well ,as nvidia has support for OpenCl as well

Forget Xbench -tests--this is code from 2003 -

useful OSX graph. tests : Cinebench 11.5 --Smallux GPU - OpenGlextensionsviewer

best

s

6850 is

- shorter 9.25"

- 14W Idle

- 1.5 Teraflops

- 1x HDMI

- 2x DVI

for requests pm/post

the 6870

- 19W idle,

- needs 2 power connectors, 500W+ PSU

that's the other reason I got the 6850, got a fanless psu, and the other one is 450W,

did not feel, to do the psu at the same time yet,...

- might need power adapter, if you only have 1 left, or new psu

- 2 teraflops,

- faster memory bandwidth

- 10.3" long, but don't forget the power cables, they stick out too,

that means, 11" , better measure

- dual slot, of course,....

to do:

- rom dump

- once running, xbench,...

- glview

- 2 monitor test

- hdmi

- displayport test

- retire gt 240 fanless (works perfect, just slow on games, my son is getting bigger)

rschultz101,

Let me know if you are able to dump the bios. I installed the Sapphire 6850, and neither ATIWinFlash or DOS ATIFlash detects the card. (Perhaps this is due to the AMD rebranding?...)

I am unable to successfully boot OS X 10.6.4 or even get into single-user or safe mode so I can install 10.6.5 beta. Perhaps I should have installed 10.6.5 before installing the 6850. I guess I will have to wait until an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the 6800 cards is created.

lets start

you need the 10.6.5 prior installed, before even putting in the card...

I did get the 10h542 beta, need some tips , of what kext files I need too look for,

and what to edit....

did not find a 6000 kext, ...

if you do install, need to remove sleepenabler, and and *MCED* kext prior to boot,

otherwise, KP.

since you got the card first,..... can you get vendor and device ID ?

and any other info, maybe from a windoze info ?

currently using carti bios, as such , only can use chameleon ,

also , where did you plug in your monitor ? port ? what cable did you use ?

do you have a second monitor ? for VGA, or dvi/vga ?

does the fan sound normal, or does it ramp up/down at boot ?

other test , to do, a vanilla start.

any news on 10.6.5 release date ? or newer beta .

could not find any linux drivers too, !? don't know where to email amd for that,

once we get linux drivers, they should have more info.

once running in VGA maybe running lspci .

I should get my card in a day or two. be looking for a water cooling plate,... to keep it quiet.

---------

One more: did anybody try intel mac ATI flashing tool ?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=811768

don't have an ATI card to test !? please give it a shot , and report back. thanks

rschultz101,

Let me know if you are able to dump the bios. I installed the Sapphire 6850, and neither ATIWinFlash or DOS ATIFlash detects the card. (Perhaps this is due to the AMD rebranding?...)

I am unable to successfully boot OS X 10.6.4 or even get into single-user or safe mode so I can install 10.6.5 beta. Perhaps I should have installed 10.6.5 before installing the 6850. I guess I will have to wait until an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the 6800 cards is created.

I'll answer what I can at the moment.

lets start

you need the 10.6.5 prior installed, before even putting in the card...

Yes, I quickly figured that out once I tried to boot. :) Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have a second card I can use to get back in.

I did get the 10h542 beta, need some tips , of what kext files I need too look for,

and what to edit....

did not find a 6000 kext, ...

if you do install, need to remove sleepenabler, and and *MCED* kext prior to boot,

otherwise, KP.

since you got the card first,..... can you get vendor and device ID ?

and any other info, maybe from a windoze info ?

Vendor is 1002; device ID for the 6850 is 6739.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&CC_0300

currently using carti bios, as such , only can use chameleon ,

also , where did you plug in your monitor ? port ? what cable did you use ?

do you have a second monitor ? for VGA, or dvi/vga ?

I am using the DisplayPort connected to an Apple Cinema Display with a miniDP to DP adapter. (My old 5770 did not work with the Cinema Display.) The HDMI output (connected to a TV) also works. The DP and HDMI are not simultaneously connected when trying to boot OS X.

does the fan sound normal, or does it ramp up/down at boot ?

The fan sounds normal, even after a KP. The fan does go full speed if I happen to panic with an all black screen. This usually happens with GraphicsEnabler=yes.

other test , to do, a vanilla start.

any news on 10.6.5 release date ? or newer beta .

10H563 came out yesterday.

could not find any linux drivers too, !? don't know where to email amd for that,

once we get linux drivers, they should have more info.

once running in VGA maybe running lspci .

I should get my card in a day or two. be looking for a water cooling plate,... to keep it quiet.

---------

One more: did anybody try intel mac ATI flashing tool ?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=811768

don't have an ATI card to test !? please give it a shot , and report back. thanks

with cartri bios you will not be able to get neither the HD 5xxx nor the 6xxx to work

because the supplied Bl vers. 0.7 and 0.8 will load an incorrect framebuffer (motmot) for the ATI 4xxx series.

caveat:before trying to flash the 6xxx I would wait for an updated RBE _125 bios editor

normally RBE-125 is updated when new ATI cards come out some weeks later. **********

but may be RB 125 is able to load the 6xx bios .

10.6.5 is ante portas (I heard a new combo update is out , thats normaly a good sign that we will see the update soon.)

Apple ATIs 5870 are currently completely out of stock , hopefully thats another sign that Apple

tooks a closer look at the new 6xx series now and not 2 years later...

wish you the very best , guys.

EDIT : *********Its here ...support for 6850/70 today ! BIOS Editor 1.26

http://www.guruht.com/2010/10/techpowerup-...r-tool-126.html

update: got my card 6850

log file Catalystô Install Manager

Installation Report

10/27/10 19:45:21

Hardware information

Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc

Device ID 0x6739

Vendor ID 0x1002

Class Code 0x030000

Revision ID 0x00

Subsystem ID 0x21f9

Subsystem vendor ID 0x1458

Other hardware

Existing packages

Packages for install

Catalyst Control CenterFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 2010.0930.2237.38732

Size: 150 Mbytes

ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 3.0.795.0

Size: 20 Mbytes

ATI Display DriverFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 8.782.0.0000

Size: 40 Mbytes

AVIVOFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 10.0.0.40103

Size: 3 Mbytes

HDMI/DP Audio DriverFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 5.18.0.5507

Size: 1 Mbytes

ATI Problem Report WizardFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 3.0.795.0

Size: 20 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc

Device ID 0xaa88

Vendor ID 0x1002

Class Code 0x040300

Revision ID 0x00

Subsystem ID 0xaa88

Subsystem vendor ID 0x1458

-------

booted in 10.6.4 updated partion 3 with 10.6.5

boot: -v -x -f arch=x86_32 cpus=1

2 LCD

1 x HDMI

1x DVI

booted up in 1024x768 mirror display no QE/QC

did try the ati 5000 kext, 0x68371002 but hangs with acpi_swm failed c-state demotion

-----

need some hand holding , what do do .

- should try to get the rom image from GB ,...

--- windoze

runs 52c idle, fan 72%, runs UT3 full max fine, UT3 is unplayable in osx, just a test

---

card is long , even for the short 6850, could barely fit it in my case, 6870 be a problem,....

still need 2x performance of gt240 ,.... nobody seam to get the gtx465 running, gtx470, but that's a heat monster,... would need bigger psu,... GTX260 looks good with nvidia drivers,

----

post some news, give me tips,... and just go fetch,... search,... it's kinda hard, old dog, needs easy tricks,...

tiny hope that theres a HD 6000 controller in the final 10.6.5
Tiny, that's the word...

It reminds me of last year and earlier this year when I was waiting for HD 5000 support on each new MacOs release.

To be realistic, I think it will come when the card will become on option on Mac Pros (or new iMacs maybe?). But I doubt that it will come soon ...

Nevertheless, it would be a nice Xmas gift from Apple to release HD 6000 support before the end of the year ;).

Tiny, that's the word...

It reminds me of last year and earlier this year when I was waiting for HD 5000 support on each new MacOs release.

To be realistic, I think it will come when the card will become on option on Mac Pros (or new iMacs maybe?). But I doubt that it will come soon ...

Nevertheless, it would be a nice Xmas gift from Apple to release HD 6000 support before the end of the year ;) .

Yepp ..not bad at all .second that

A small silver stripe on the horzon is , that Apple HD 5870 cards are currently anavailable...

and the 6850 perfectly fits in the current and future Apple Mac Pro line (OpenCl-Power- low Powerconsumption-low temps) ...

So may be (lets hope a little bit) that they have a closer look at these cards right now in Cupertino CA.

And Nicer would be if these unholy relationships between Apple and Adobe and ATI ,NVidia and Intel would come to an end :

Adobes Creative stuff and its Mercuryengine on OPENCL AND ATI Hardware .

Hi Robert

Hopefully First settlers don´t get get the arrows ....

6850 is based on a revised Juniper chip (HD 5770)

so you may be lucky with some modifications

but I heavily doubt it will work out of the box

and Apple will support it with modified drivers

in near future

OPEN CL app:

"Starfire" is a new app based on OPENCL-very fast H.264 encoding !

where did you read about it being OpenCL? nothing on their website indicating it is or in the documents, and the app is pretty slow compared to Handbrake, it doesnt use more than 1 core ever.

where did you read about it being OpenCL? nothing on their website indicating it is or in the documents, and the app is pretty slow compared to Handbrake, it doesnt use more than 1 core ever.

It does say "OpenCL 1.1" in the specs on AMDs website at least.

its a preview

with 1 core you are right

slow ? you are not right

encodes a 1 min 720 p H.264 movie with 3 Mbit into a720 p H.264 movie with 998 Kbit in :

12 seconds

this is on an I 7 950 @ 3,6 GHz 6-8-6-20 Mushkin Redline @ 1600 and a stock ATI HD 5770