ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

I am using Andy's boot file in this post above. I ended up just copying all the ATI kexts from Lion (15 of them).

Ahh, missed that one. Thanks!

@ Nuphor

PM me if you want the 6000 kexts I would upload them here but Apple has been on the run lately pulling Lion related things showing up on the internet namely on YouTube.

That's okay, I have access to Lion dev builds.

@jeanlain

I was going to say the same thing because I tried installing some specific apps from my lion build to a snow leo drive and the apps failed to open despite manually changing the system version so there are specific updates to frameworks that are in Lion (which I managed to find after digging a bit). Not saying of course that Lion would be an instant go for the desktop 6 series cards but that's just my thought.

You should have better success with drivers from the newest MacBook Pros or with a full install of Lion because of all the incompatibilities between Lion's drivers and Snow Leopard (mainly the openGL framework).

But it's already a good start.

Yeh Im itching for someone to try the ATI kext's from the new MBP's on a desktop hacktintosh.

Hmm, that version of Chameleon doesn't seem to work for me. Card gets identified, then the display is black and the card fans rev up to 100% just as it's POSTed. Noticed it's Chameleon r64x, might try patching the ATI experimental build (r700 I think).

Hmm, that version of Chameleon doesn't seem to work for me. Card gets identified, then the display is black and the card fans rev up to 100% just as it's POSTed. Noticed it's Chameleon r64x, might try patching the ATI experimental build (r700 I think).

Sorry I have a newer build that I was using based on RC5 r611 - welcome to try that if you like. Unfortunately I have just upgraded my system to a P67 based mobo and Sandybridge 2500k and I can't even get the blasted thing to boot after a 10.6.6 combo update so I am going to be out of the game for a while :(

boot.rar

Sorry I have a newer build that I was using based on RC5 r611 - welcome to try that if you like. Unfortunately I have just upgraded my system to a P67 based mobo and Sandybridge 2500k and I can't even get the blasted thing to boot after a 10.6.6 combo update so I am going to be out of the game for a while :)

Cool, I'll give that a whirl.

Cool, got res change enabled with ^Andy^'s patched Chameleon, Graphics Enabler and Lion's ATI kexts (copied the lot of them). Copied Lion's OpenGL.framework over to try for CI/QE, but no joy. Hangs at the desktop. Think we could do with latest gen MBP's ATI6000Controller, framebuffer and OpenGL.framework.

The two DVI ports, mini display ports & HDMI port work with just the controller.

post-92496-1298835377_thumb.png

Cool, got res change enabled with ^Andy^'s patched Chameleon, Graphics Enabler and Lion's ATI kexts (copied the lot of them). Copied Lion's OpenGL.framework over to try for CI/QE, but no joy. Hangs at the desktop. Think we could do with latest gen MBP's ATI6000Controller, framebuffer and OpenGL.framework.

The two DVI ports, mini display ports & HDMI port work with just the controller.

care2 share the req. kexts please?

Andy, i use your bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but stop and hang at these line

ATI Card Posted, Unrecovered System bla..bla..

and then blank screen. If i dont use GraphicsEnabler i can boot without problem. fyi, i use kexts from lion too ati6xxx and req files from the laughingman.

Guest ^Andy^
Andy, i use your bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but stop and hang at these line

ATI Card Posted, Unrecovered System bla..bla..

and then blank screen. If i dont use GraphicsEnabler i can boot without problem. fyi, i use kexts from lion too ati6xxx and req files from the laughingman.

Sorry but I've never tested it on an AMD processor :blink:

For anybody interested I have attached a new version based on Kabyl's latest chameleon build - I just wish I could find somebody with a new 2011 macbook pro to send me the kernel and ati kexts because after my system rebuild to a sandybridge processor im facing a war on 2 fronts ;)

boot.rar

Sorry but I've never tested it on an AMD processor :wacko:

For anybody interested I have attached a new version based on Kabyl's latest chameleon build - I just wish I could find somebody with a new 2011 macbook pro to send me the kernel and ati kexts because after my system rebuild to a sandybridge processor im facing a war on 2 fronts :wacko:

fyi, i apply your bootloader on new rig corei3 380m with 6470mobility..asus k42jz. using your latest bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=yes, got msg 'system unrecoverd ati.c xxxx'

gona try your latest build hope its work. thanks andy

EDIT:

still same error, after framebuffer init. xx/xx memory allocation error ati.c line 687

system unrecovered..

Guest ^Andy^
still same error, after framebuffer init. xx/xx memory allocation error ati.c line 687

system unrecovered..

If you have specified a GraphicsMode in your com.apple.Boot.plist then try removing it.

If you have specified a GraphicsMode in your com.apple.Boot.plist then try removing it.

It doesnt make any difference. I wonder what the hell was on ati.c line 687. Everytime i turn GraphicsEnabler=Yes bootloader stop with unrecover system.

Guest ^Andy^
Have you seen Netkas' recent post?

A full install of Lion may be the best option. No injector needed for some cards. See his forum: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,729.0.html

(in there, you'll find link to kexts from the new MacBook Pros)

I have lion installed however it has several other problems ie the need to use a usb EFI boot loader which for various reasons locks solid if I use a custom dsdt which ultimately means I have graphics but no sound lol

Guest ^Andy^
I have lion installed however it has several other problems ie the need to use a usb EFI boot loader which for various reasons locks solid if I use a custom dsdt which ultimately means I have graphics but no sound lol

As soon as this ridiculously slow download of xcode 4.1 finishes I'm going to try a to a new chameleon build that will hopefully be able to boot lion and allow me to have working sound. I'll post back if it works (when the snails pace download finishes).

Just installed Lion, have full QE/CI, res change, all ports working with my 6870 - the lot. All out of the box, with no injector.

How does the system report the card? Screenshots of system profiler, GLview benchmarks, etc... or it didn't happen. :(

That makes your the first dude with a radeon 6XXX card (not integrated GPU) fully running on OS X. Good job.

I'm interested to know if this could work on Mac Pros too. I have one from 2006.

My guess is that it would work at least with another genuine Apple card (or flashed PC card) in it. But I only have one that requires 2 PCIe cables (4870), and I don't want 2 massive cards in my Mac. Plus, it's not guaranteed to work and I reluctant to wast money on a radeon 6XXX.