ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

people how tring to get this card to work

wrking on wrong way

you must inject card rom then see if card is supported by current latest kexts !!!

if any one want to inject card on injector of bootloader like HD5000 series

send his mail to me as it need alots of tries

That's exactly what I have tried and it isn't supported with the beta of 6.5. Even if you add the device id into the ati5000controller.kext you will just get a hard lock up.

The current framebuffers aren't going to work with the Barts cards because they were specific to the Vervet and Uakari cards.

I'm hopefully waiting for something in the 10.6.6 beta that Apple is soon to release but that is highly dependent on if they are going to utilize the 6xxx cards in their upcoming iMacs and Mac Pros. Seeing as how they started using the ati 5xxx cards already there should be no doubt that the 6 will come eventually.

As for right now, I find no point in trying to inject the card rom because I tried all night when I received my sapphire 6850 card but came out with no success trying every FB in the 5xxx range.

Seems like the waiting game is on...

The current framebuffers aren't going to work with the Barts cards because they were specific to the Vervet and Uakari cards.

I'm hopefully waiting for something in the 10.6.6 beta that Apple is soon to release but that is highly dependent on if they are going to utilize the 6xxx cards in their upcoming iMacs and Mac Pros. Seeing as how they started using the ati 5xxx cards already there should be no doubt that the 6 will come eventually.

As for right now, I find no point in trying to inject the card rom because I tried all night when I received my sapphire 6850 card but came out with no success trying every FB in the 5xxx range.

Seems like the waiting game is on...

I doubt 10.6.6 will have any graphics driver improvements. All signs are that it will be a minor update focussing solely on Mac App store support. 10.6.7 will likely be the next place to start looking although I expect seeds for that will appear relatively soon after 10.6.5 release due to 10.6.6 being a minor update.

In terms of Mac Pros or iMacs with 6xxx series cards, I think it'll be a long wait. The MP has been updated relatively recently and will probably not be updated again until at least Summer 2011 and more likely Late 2011/Early 2012 and new iMacs will probably only have 6xxx series Radeons when Mobility Radeons are on the market which will likely be about 3 months away at the earliest, more likely 4-5 months - guesstimating by looking at the timeframe between 5xxx series mobile and desktop GPU releases.

I think we need an ATI6000Controller.kext.

I tried about every bootloader I could find, every framebuffer I found mention of (including a couple I'd never heard of such as Oranutang and Nomascus) using bootloaders and AtiFb settings. I tried dumping my rom into the extras folder (which does get loaded by several of the bootloaders btw) however still no dice. If you add the device id into the ATI5000controller.kext it will hard lock every time no matter which combination of loaders or framebuffers which leads me to the conclusion that the missing piece of the puzzle can only be an ATI6000Controller.kext.

:unsure:

the 6850 suppose to be in ATI3000Controller.kext

the atiradeonx3000.kext has an entry 0x67391002

that should be my card 6850 is that correct, sintax looks backwards

how can I check , if the graphics card --> device ID is recognized ?

is there a log file ?

want to get the dev id , working first,

framebuffer next....

thanks

Still no ATI6000Controller.kext so still not working properly.

update: 10.6.5 combo update is out

.... as usual , delete sleepenabler , *MCED*

removed cartri bios

added dev id in ATI5000 kext,....

at some point, in the log it ,.... RIRB ,... SS=00

so device ID should kick in,

also tried the beta,.... and the fan's got full speed, screen went black.

trying chameleon RC5, and aserbl 1.9

at any time, was not able to do "graphics mode"="1280x1024x32@60" ....

also , once dev id was added , had also trouble with vbox kext,

some thing with ACPI,...

how to set pciroot ? and otherATI related boot flags, please post

does the 5770 work with 10.6.5 ?? please post

still need an ATI init

thanks,

All he has done is run the card in vesa mode - you could have done the exact same thing by selecting GraphicsEnabler=No :)

I've recompiled Kabyls bootloader after adding in the 6850 and 6870 device id's and if starting in safe mode (-x) the card appears to be detected according to profiler however with only 256 Vram.

Still not managed to boot it normally yet using any of the framebuffers though and have spent way too much time on this already ;) - It's going to take somebody with more brains and patience than me to solve this one.

Boot file attached. You need to also set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and UseAtiRom=Yes in the boot.plist in the Extra folder and copy a dump of your gpu rom file into Extra and name it 1002_6738.rom for a 6870 card or 1002_6739.rom for a 6850 card.

Additionally you will need the latest version of chameleon installed before replacing the boot file - best also to keep a bootable usb stick handy in case it all goes pear shaped!

EDIT - I should probably also mention that you can specify the Framebuffer to use with this bootfile by using AtiFb=Vervet etc. It's compiled using Vervet as the default because nobody has found the correct framebuffer yet and I took a guess.

EDIT 2 - As long as you don't add your device id's to the ATI5000Controller.kext file you will still be able to boot up with GraphicsEnabler=no if you run into problems

I should also mention I have only been trying to get this to work with 10.6.5!

boot.rar

Boot file attached. You need to also set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and UseAtiRom=Yes in the boot.plist in the Extra folder and copy a dump of your gpu rom file into Extra and name it 1002_6738.rom for a 6870 card or 1002_6739.rom for a 6850 card.

Additionally you will need the latest version of chameleon installed before replacing the boot file - best also to keep a bootable usb stick handy in case it all goes pear shaped!

EDIT - I should probably also mention that you can specify the Framebuffer to use with this bootfile by using AtiFb=Vervet etc. It's compiled using Vervet as the default because nobody has found the correct framebuffer yet and I took a guess.

EDIT 2 - As long as you don't add your device id's to the ATI5000Controller.kext file you will still be able to boot up with GraphicsEnabler=no if you run into problems

I should also mention I have only been trying to get this to work with 10.6.5!

Thanks, Andy. I was finally able to get back into my OS X environment with your boot file. (I had upgraded from a 5770 to a 6850 because the 5770 was incompatible with my Apple Cinema Display. Then, I was no longer able to boot.)

Obviously, no QE/CI, and I'm limited to 1400x1050 on my 2560x1440 screen.

update:

added device is to ati5000 and atix3000,

but getting black screen, and fan goes full speed.

the framebuffer , vervet, is that inside of the boot or does it reside in the extra folder ?

AtiFb=Vervet , do think the framebuffer should work from 10.6.5 ....

did find an ati_init, but it contains a lot of stuff for a 4000 series,...

still waiting for the linux drivers,....

others:

16x card in 1x slot,... instead of cutting the connector on the 9500gt,... I cut the connector on the mobo,

works, so a 16x card works in 1x mode ! have not tried the 6850 in 16x slot, and gt in 1x ,

had to remove 2 memory sticks, since the gigabyte mobo does not have clearance.

others 2: removed applegraphics power managment kext,

GT240 cinebench ~4.7 fps,... went to 22+ cinebench , guess, that was my main problem,...

suppose the graphics power managment acts different with 2 monitors plugged in,

Thanks, Andy. I was finally able to get back into my OS X environment with your boot file. (I had upgraded from a 5770 to a 6850 because the 5770 was incompatible with my Apple Cinema Display. Then, I was no longer able to boot.)

Obviously, no QE/CI, and I'm limited to 1400x1050 on my 2560x1440 screen.

So did you manage to boot up normally using my version of the bootloader or did you have to also use safe mode?

If you managed to boot up normally using it what does system profiler show for your graphics card?

For me I have to either boot in safe mode and system profiler then shows that the card has been detected - if I attempt to boot normally I get a black screen probably because I've not yet found the correct framebuffer to use. I can boot normally if I set PCIRootUID=1 however I don;t believe I should be setting this flag as it appears to disable the graphicsenabler and system profiler will not detect the card.

So did you manage to boot up normally using my version of the bootloader or did you have to also use safe mode?

If you managed to boot up normally using it what does system profiler show for your graphics card?

For me I have to either boot in safe mode and system profiler then shows that the card has been detected - if I attempt to boot normally I get a black screen probably because I've not yet found the correct framebuffer to use. I can boot normally if I set PCIRootUID=1 however I don;t believe I should be setting this flag as it appears to disable the graphicsenabler and system profiler will not detect the card.

I can boot normally but with PCIRootUID=1. If PCIRootUID=0, the system hangs at boot. (I don't get a black screen and/or full fan, however.)

System Profiler only shows basic graphics info, not full card detection:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6739

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050