AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

Hi Mohamed

I am trying your 1st method of installing Snow leopard on my older PC but can't get by "still waiting for root device" before getting to setup screen.

My motherboard is a DFI LanParty Nforce 4 Ultra D which doesn't have any settings for ACHI in bios. The Nforce 4 chipset doesn't support ACHI so I guess that is why I'm getting the above error. Is there a way around not having this ACHI setting to make this setup work on my computer? I know many people were having this same problem when installing Leopard 10.5 also. There was a work around figured out for that at the time. I am using a Sata DVD drive but also have a IDE to if needed.

Hope you can help with this one.

I guess if 1st method doesn't work I can probably try your 2nd method. Right?

Ok, I tried your second method but with an external USB hardrive instead of USB memory. I restored the DVD to the external hd and copied all the necessary files and deleted the kernel to.

I booted the USB hd in the old computer and got as far as the spinning rainbow icon but thats it. Will not make it to the setup screen. Is there something wrong or is my old computer just to old to try SL on?

Thanks

please post your hardware on your signture and say what you did and problem you face

There you go Mohamed , signature updated and the problem is the following

Thank you Mohamed and tsj5j , i did what you guys told me than i installed boot laoder,kernel etc.

When i restarted to finsh installing kext for component i was greeted to the chameleon bootloader i stepped on my startup drive than got to the apple logo than nothing, no turning wheel nothing.

I the tried loading with -v at the end the screen was black(nothing),than tried -x still only the apple logo tried busratio=16 no go ang -force64 still no go. I am kind of a noob with all this , can you tell me what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ho i forgot and for now i am using the integrated vga wich is radeon 3200 because i had problem installing the nvidia card.

Thank you.

i didnt understand what is your problem please replay with out quote

and if you can picture your problem better

Hi Mohamed

I am trying your 1st method of installing Snow leopard on my older PC but can't get by "still waiting for root device" before getting to setup screen.

My motherboard is a DFI LanParty Nforce 4 Ultra D which doesn't have any settings for ACHI in bios. The Nforce 4 chipset doesn't support ACHI so I guess that is why I'm getting the above error. Is there a way around not having this ACHI setting to make this setup work on my computer? I know many people were having this same problem when installing Leopard 10.5 also. There was a work around figured out for that at the time. I am using a Sata DVD drive but also have a IDE to if needed.

Hope you can help with this one.

I guess if 1st method doesn't work I can probably try your 2nd method. Right?

ineed SB ID bring it throw winows

Ok, I tried your second method but with an external USB hardrive instead of USB memory. I restored the DVD to the external hd and copied all the necessary files and deleted the kernel to.

I booted the USB hd in the old computer and got as far as the spinning rainbow icon but thats it. Will not make it to the setup screen. Is there something wrong or is my old computer just to old to try SL on?

Thanks

you need to run pfix on EXT HDD

There you go Mohamed , signature updated and the problem is the following.

I get to the last restart before adding the kext i need to get everything working. On restart i get stuck with the apple logo and nothing else, it will not boot to the desktop. May be i did not get that procedure right?

*after Setup boot loader put your boot.plist that contian flag busratio=16 on extra it is very important to next step

(do i add the flag to the boot plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist) or to the plist you supplied on the boot cd?

How do i add it?

*After thus setup legacy kernel it will add kernel name to boot.plist we added before and patch CPUID.

Hope i made it easier for you to understand.

Thank you.

There you go Mohamed , signature updated and the problem is the following.

I get to the last restart before adding the kext i need to get everything working. On restart i get stuck with the apple logo and nothing else, it will not boot to the desktop. May be i did not get that procedure right?

*after Setup boot loader put your boot.plist that contian flag busratio=16 on extra it is very important to next step

(do i add the flag to the boot plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist) or to the plist you supplied on the boot cd?

How do i add it?

*After thus setup legacy kernel it will add kernel name to boot.plist we added before and patch CPUID.

Hope i made it easier for you to understand.

Thank you.

is your problem grey screen if that use this kext

http://www.mediafire.com/?z9a545p7gwz7vny

is your problem grey screen if that use this kext

http://www.mediafire.com/?z9a545p7gwz7vny

Thank you for your response.

I started all over and used that one. while loading fakesmc i got a kernel panic because kext helper would not quit! i then used kext utility and got the same kernel panic.

restarted by the reset button anyway and i got the another kernel panic.

Do i have tu use the boot.list supplied on your cd add the busratio flag and replaced the one already in osX? (that is what i did.)

thank you.

The thumbnail on the left is after resart the one on the right is after loading fakesmc.

post-562481-1285544940_thumb.jpg

post-562481-1285545004_thumb.jpg

boot with -x -v

you need fakesmc free from kexts will upload it

All i have to say is THANK YOU! Mohamed for your patience, i was about to throw the towel and i gave it a go. I tried every fakesmc possible with no results i finally used the one from your boot cd

and what do you know it worked!

I'm so glad i almost {censored} my pants. Now i have my hackintosh working ;):P;) .

Thank you again.

@ Mohamed

I found a ".diff" patch for the latest andy's kernel...would you please show me how to use it? I really have no idea!

Thanks!

diff is nearly source of kernel not for use it is just code of kernel need to be compiled and it is already compiled updated4 kernel :rolleyes:

so no need for using it

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem as tsj5j with the grey screen and cursor prior to installer setup. You had mentioned using pfix which i had downloaded version 3.1 app from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/06/pfix-v3-1-released/... I had downloaded the application instead of the package which i am about to try after this post. i have been at trying to install snow leopard for over 4 days now and am getting really really frustrated although your method seems to be the closest i have gotten so far as all other methods dont even come close.. i am using the usb installer option as i absolutely hate cd's/dvd's (cant wait for the day they become obsolete lol).. and i am using atkios v7 (i think) to create the image onto the thumb drive which seems to be successfull considering i get no KP's or errors upon loading the installer.... my main question is how to approach pfix as i had opened the application then pressed 2 (for the installation thumb drive) and it had proceeded then told me to reboot and it will continue then rerun the application to finish it off etc.. i had done this but seems like it hasnt done anything as i have booted the usb after the pfix and still stuck on a grey screen with the cursor....

my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

1333mhz 4gb DDR3

MSI 790FX-GD70

M-Audio Audiophile 192

Any help will greatly be appreciated, Thanks...

EDIT: I forgot to mention i also have Gigabyte HD 5770

Well i Had seemed to fix it by myself and it seems it wasnt to do with pfix, But to do with kexts... i noticed a few kexts missing from the usb files compared to the boot cd... so i copied and replaced the boot cd to the thumb drive and finally the installer worked! (i beleive ATY_int_ is the culpret as it was missing from the usb files and some other forum mentioned this)... nyways all is good so far.... now i am going to update the software to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 as i didnt realize the update required 10.6.3 to already be there...

Thanks

I managed to get SL on my computer but now I am stuck at a point where I cannot boot into the hard drive it is installed on. When I try to boot to the USB HD from the USB install HD it wont go any further than "NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered". Just sits there to this point. Upon first boot after setup I was able to boot but had no internet or Lan. I then added Skge.kext to enable Lan port but now I can no longer boot.

I still need to update to 10.6.4 but cannot bc I have no Lan in SL. I still need to go back to "boot after setup" to continue you tutorial but cant unless problem is solved.

Thanks

I managed to get SL on my computer but now I am stuck at a point where I cannot boot into the hard drive it is installed on. When I try to boot to the USB HD from the USB install HD it wont go any further than "NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered". Just sits there to this point. Upon first boot after setup I was able to boot but had no internet or Lan. I then added Skge.kext to enable Lan port but now I can no longer boot.

I still need to update to 10.6.4 but cannot bc I have no Lan in SL. I still need to go back to "boot after setup" to continue you tutorial but cant unless problem is solved.

Thanks

what is your problem i cant uderstand what is your problem

please write what you did on steps 1 2 3 ............

and if there are picture post it to help you :D

Hi Mohamed,

So I tried to make a Dual Boot as you told me:

1.Used gparted to partition into 3 parts, I did unformated and all primary.

2.I installed Windows 7 x64

3.Used your BootCD to TRY to install Snow Leopard but failed.

At first try I used BootCD, selected Mac OS X SL 10.6.3 retail dvd and Apple Logo appeared. Was waiting for 20 min nothing..... I pushed Enter and the apple "spinning lines" appeared, after that blue screen and nothing again !!! No mouse no nothing. I disconnected my HDMI cable from Monitor and reconnected again an screen went GRAY-BLUE and mouse umbrela spinning appeared. After that again nothing.

Second try was stuck at Apple LOGO.

Third try used EFI Empire last one with AMD compatibility and it was the same.

4th time used -x and busratio=16 ...screen started to get darker and darker with lines going down.

I saw some errors on screen saying something about DOUBLE PANIK.

CAN I USE Iatkos s3 v2 with AMD?

Please help me install SL, I want to try the Iphone SDK.

Thanks.

ok i will be waiting on new BootCD.

So I tried 2 more times.

I have 3 partitions, windows 7 x64 installed already, one primary partition for mac in fat32 with boot flag, one ntfs.

First with Empire EFI--- got stuck some code here:

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0x27a979): pmap_steal_memory...."

Empire EFI Panic

And second with your Boot Cd got stuck at bluescreen.

This is picture for first screen where I had to push Enter in order to work further

First screen - Push Enter

And this is screen before blue screen:

Screen before blue screen

At least your boot cd gets me to blue screen.

Update: I left it for couple minutes and my monitor went to sleep, I moved mouse and it got ON again but screen changed to GRAY and mouse appeared with spinning umbrela!? Hope it helps.

Hi guys still experimenting with my newly working hackintosh. I have a question concerning software.

I am triyng to get adobe cs (photoshop,illustrator,after effects and indesign)to work i tried cs3,cs4 and cs5 they are working on my legit mac(s), but i have no luck with my hackintosh are any of you able to run these software on your (AMD) hackintosh?

Thanks in advance.

So i tried .... failed

stop sign on top of chameleon appears and thats it.

Second time with -x -v flags it shows : "Still waiting for root device"

I tried 2 primary partitions with HSF+ BOOT flag and one with fat32.

i tried 2 primary partitions with fat32 and ntfs with rd=disk0s0

How should I make the partitions? pls explain its not working.

Thanks.

So i tried .... failed

stop sign on top of chameleon appears and thats it.

Second time with -x -v flags it shows : "Still waiting for root device"

I tried 2 primary partitions with HSF+ BOOT flag and one with fat32.

i tried 2 primary partitions with fat32 and ntfs with rd=disk0s0

How should I make the partitions? pls explain its not working.

Thanks.

tomorrow will see your problem :)

all I needed was -v busratio=25

detected my nvidia gtx260 at full resolution

currently "Installing" 20% done 28 min left xD

take long time because of all printer drivers and other {censored} that is not needed!

will update after installation finishes.

Update:

Installation successful

After Setup Boot with BootCD using same flag or no flags I get

"Still waiting for root device"

:(:help::):wacko: : :angel::):blowup:

Error before Still waiting....is

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.

Nvidia geforce gtx 260 894mb nva0.....pciroot (0x0) ....

no smbios replacemnt found

patched dmi table

no dsdt replacementfound leaving acpi table as is

starting darwin x86

Update: Finally got through

used this flags to get to desktop : "cpus=1 -x -v -f -c busratio=25"

all this is soooo annoying

I'm having the same problem as some of the others here.

I am using the second method. I first installed RC4 on a USB driveand then restored 10.6.3 to it and added the files. I also ran pfix. It boots past the apple logo and spinning thingy and then gets to a gray screen with a cursor. After a few minutes the cursor turns into a spinning wheel and that is as far as it ever gets. Never get to the install screen.

My hardware:

ASUS M2R32-MVP

AMD 5600+

4 gb ram

SB600 Chipset

BIOS set to AHCI

10.5.5 & 10.5.8 run fine

Thanks

Hello!

I tried to install by method 1, but, in install process, i have error as on picture:

post-255248-1286347763_thumb.jpg

My specs are:

GA-MA790XT-UD4P

AMD Phenom II 965

4 gig of DDR3 ram

500 Gb WD drive

ATI Radeon 5870 card with 1Gb DDR5 memory

In bios, AHCI is on, DVD is SATA, but in AHCI mode it does no work...

What i'm doing wrong?