AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

Hello!

I tried to install by method 1, but, in install process, i have error as on picture:

post-255248-1286347763_thumb.jpg

My specs are:

GA-MA790XT-UD4P

AMD Phenom II 965

4 gig of DDR3 ram

500 Gb WD drive

ATI Radeon 5870 card with 1Gb DDR5 memory

In bios, AHCI is on, DVD is SATA, but in AHCI mode it does no work...

What i'm doing wrong?

panic during setup mainly from ata controller as it not stable so

so connect your dvd and HDD you setup on it

on 0-sata and 1-sata blue ones :)

and set sata to achi

and try

I'm having the same problem as some of the others here.

I am using the second method. I first installed RC4 on a USB driveand then restored 10.6.3 to it and added the files. I also ran pfix. It boots past the apple logo and spinning thingy and then gets to a gray screen with a cursor. After a few minutes the cursor turns into a spinning wheel and that is as far as it ever gets. Never get to the install screen.

My hardware:

ASUS M2R32-MVP

AMD 5600+

4 gb ram

SB600 Chipset

BIOS set to AHCI

10.5.5 & 10.5.8 run fine

Thanks

please use anther fakesmc

you can find in latest my bootcds or you can find it here

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

all I needed was -v busratio=25

detected my nvidia gtx260 at full resolution

currently "Installing" 20% done 28 min left xD

take long time because of all printer drivers and other {censored} that is not needed!

will update after installation finishes.

Update:

Installation successful

After Setup Boot with BootCD using same flag or no flags I get

"Still waiting for root device"

:(:help::D:wacko: : :):wallbash::blowup:

Error before Still waiting....is

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.

Nvidia geforce gtx 260 894mb nva0.....pciroot (0x0) ....

no smbios replacemnt found

patched dmi table

no dsdt replacementfound leaving acpi table as is

starting darwin x86

Update: Finally got through

used this flags to get to desktop : "cpus=1 -x -v -f -c busratio=25"

all this is soooo annoying

sent to you PM

I used method 2 so I never used a bootcd or got to the setup install screen. I never got far enough to use fakesmc as I haven't been able to get far enough install 10.6.3 on my internal hard drive.. It's failing when booting the external USB drive with the RC4 and restored 10.6.3. It gets as far as the first gray screen and hangs before the setup stuff comes up.

Thanks

I used method 2 so I never used a bootcd or got to the setup install screen. I never got far enough to use fakesmc as I haven't been able to get far enough install 10.6.3 on my internal hard drive.. It's failing when booting the external USB drive with the RC4 and restored 10.6.3. It gets as far as the first gray screen and hangs before the setup stuff comes up.

Thanks

you need fakesmc to complete boot of snow setup from usb stick

you need fakesmc to complete boot of snow setup from usb stick

Thanks for the fast response. Ok, I added the latest Fakesmc and ran pfix and still the same exact problem. I also tried the new mach_kernel and ran pfix and still same problem...

I tried it 3 times but it switches to the gray screen so fast after the last log post there is no way possible to read it or take a pic before its gone.

what is your HW specification and how did you do usb stick and please can you copy terminal logs when you run pfix on usb stick just after it say complete

ASUS M2R32-MVP

AMD 5600+

4 gb ram

SB600 Chipset

I am using a 40 gb usb hard drive. MBR. I followed your guide and first installed Chameleon RC4 and then restored retail full install 10.6.3. I added the files to the extra extensions folder in your guide and also the boot.plist with the cpuratio=16.

Pfix log:

Enabling permissions on /Volumes/install...

Done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGIN LOG Wed Oct 6 12:38:11 EDT 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting ownership in /Volumes/install/Extra to root:wheel...

Done.

Setting permissions in /Volumes/install/Extra to 755...

Done.

Setting ownership in /Volumes/install/System/Library/Extensions to root:wheel...

Done.

Setting permissions in /Volumes/install/System/Library/Extensions to 755...

Done.

pfix running on OS X version 10.5 "Leopard", building kext caches.

Regenerating system caches...

Removing old caches...

Building new system Extensions.mkext...

kextcache: illegal option --

usage: kextcache [-a arch] [-c kernel_cache_filename] [-e] [-F] [-h] [-k]

[-K kernel_filename] [-l | -L] [-r] [-m mkext_filename] [-n | -N]

[-r] [-s | -S] [-t] [-v [1-6]] [-z] [kext_or_directory] ...

kextcache [-v [#]] [-f] -u volume

kextcache [-v [#]] -U volume

Done.

Removing old extra Extensions.mkext...

Building new extra Extensions.mkext...

kextcache: illegal option --

usage: kextcache [-a arch] [-c kernel_cache_filename] [-e] [-F] [-h] [-k]

[-K kernel_filename] [-l | -L] [-r] [-m mkext_filename] [-n | -N]

[-r] [-s | -S] [-t] [-v [1-6]] [-z] [kext_or_directory] ...

kextcache [-v [#]] [-f] -u volume

kextcache [-v [#]] -U volume

Done.

Process completed you may reboot now...

After you reboot your system, OS X will need to rebuild your system caches...

This process may take 5-10 minutes before you will be able to login...

Do not interrupt, reset or power off the system, just wait patiently!

Remember to run pfix again after logging in to finish the repairs!

END LOG Wed Oct 6 12:38:12 EDT 2010

logout

[Process completed]

i see

pfix not worked so no mkext bulit

download this kext and but it on extra folder

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=437

dont run pfix it isnt working nearly on 10.5 :)

good luck

I've been putting the fakesmc in extra/extensions, should it be in just the extra folder? I had already tried that version first and then later tried the updated one.

Hey, i have the same motherboard but the EVO version, and i have the same processor as you.

I have succesfully installed mac osx 10.6.4, i could not find 10.6.3 is that a problem?

right now i want to install chameleon, should i install RC4 or the latest RC5 ?

thanks very much for writing this tutorial =D

------------------edit

i have done install chameleon rc4 from your tutorial at the end, it works now i can boot without disk :D

but for the next step, do you have any kexts that i can use? because we have the same motherboard?

and again thanks very much for your tutorial, i cant praise you enough

------------------edit 2

well i have most of my hardware working now.

i got great help on hackintosh.nl forums now.

a dude provided me some kexts for my hd5870 and my audio. its both fully functional now, no errors or anything.

incase others might be interested in these kexts, here is my topic on that forum:

http://www.hackintosh.nl/osx86-installatie....html#post35763

Its in dutch tho :o

btw now that understand alot more about mac.

i will be making my own tutorial on how to install mac on an amd system on youtube.

and i uploaded a pic of it just for fun =p

-------------edit 3

another small edit, just to let you know that i have installed my ethernet kext too =p, typing this from my hackintosh.

tutorial coming soon.

post-675219-1286398033_thumb.jpg

try this

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=161

good luck

please format HDD AGAIN AND DO NEW RESTORE

I started again from scratch.

Erased usb hd

Installed Chameleon RC4 on ext USb hd

Restore actual retail 10.6.3 to ext usb HD without erase

Installed mach_kernel and put proper files in /extra/extensions

Same problem with any version of Fakesmc as previous attemps. I even let it sit there for about an hour with the spinning ball to see if anything else would eventually happen and it stayed the same.

Hi all!

regarding gray screen/spinning beach ball at installation startup issue it's a kernel problem (the one included in this guide),

i managed to fix it by installing legacy_kernel-10.3.0.pkg on installation drive (i'm using second method),

after installing it i renamed legacy_kernel to mach_kernel (i leaved both of them but i don't know is it necessary) and FINALY was able to see choose language window and proceed with installation :D :D :D ,

i've spend 3 days/nights before i got past it ;) ,

hope this helps you all having similar issue :) ,

Cheers!

legacy_kernel_10.3.0.pkg.zip

i am at gray screen too i will try some of these but i want to post my hardware so maybe i can get this right...

having trouble...

i have the most recent boot cd

AMD Phenom II x4 955 3200mhz

Asus Crossfire 3 formula Motherboard (no onboard video)

(1) pnyNvidea 9800GT

(1) BFG Nvidea 295 gtx

in addition to the onboard sata i have a PCI sata card with a Sil 3114 chipset (vantec 6 port)

(5) 300gb WD raptor hard drives, 3 of which are raid for windows (i would love to raid the other 2 for osx)

8gb ram

Sata dvd burner

i took out my 295gtx and swiched over to AHCI but now i get the wheel spinning on a gray screen (assuming that is a driver thing for the video but i dont know)

Is there any way to run Raid? i will buy a new card if i need too.

i am at gray screen too i will try some of these but i want to post my hardware so maybe i can get this right...

having trouble...

i have the most recent boot cd

AMD Phenom II x4 955 3200mhz

Asus Crossfire 3 formula Motherboard (no onboard video)

(1) pnyNvidea 9800GT

(1) BFG Nvidea 295 gtx

in addition to the onboard sata i have a PCI sata card with a Sil 3114 chipset (vantec 6 port)

(5) 300gb WD raptor hard drives, 3 of which are raid for windows (i would love to raid the other 2 for osx)

8gb ram

Sata dvd burner

i took out my 295gtx and swiched over to AHCI but now i get the wheel spinning on a gray screen (assuming that is a driver thing for the video but i dont know)

Is there any way to run Raid? i will buy a new card if i need too.

Hi!

that's not a hardware issue coz it would KP/freeze or restart,

try the kernel that i included but i'm using usb drive installation with sl 10.6.3 i didn't try it on boot cd as i have ide dvd drive (wich i had to disable or it would kp on me),

i was stuck on a gray screen when i could move a mouse and after a while got a spinning beach ball of death :) (even on my dell inspiron 1545 while retail dvd went without a hitch) and swapping mach_kernel fixed it,

also i recommend to disable everything in the bios that you don't use (com/sound ect.).

Hi!

that's not a hardware issue coz it would KP/freeze or restart,

try the kernel that i included but i'm using usb drive installation with sl 10.6.3 i didn't try it on boot cd as i have ide dvd drive (wich i had to disable or it would kp on me),

i was stuck on a gray screen when i could move a mouse and after a while got a spinning beach ball of death :hysterical: (even on my dell inspiron 1545 while retail dvd went without a hitch) and swapping mach_kernel fixed it,

also i recommend to disable everything in the bios that you don't use (com/sound ect.).

downloading it... can i use a cdrw as a boot? i have alot of cd-r for coasters now :P

edit.. i cant figure out how to make another iso off of this boot disk i have.. so how do i add your file too it.i bet i tried burning this to a cd 15 tims and i just get rebot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in boot device and press a key... my cd looks just like the boot one i downloaded except i added your files to the preimage... im about to jump off this bridge...raa....

downloading it... can i use a cdrw as a boot? i have alot of cd-r for coasters now ;)

edit.. i cant figure out how to make another iso off of this boot disk i have.. so how do i add your file too it.

find a program to edit it i think it was here somewhere on this forum (i forgot the name sorry),

you need to replace mach_kernel on cd (i don't know if there is a difference between replacing kernel only or running pkg installer),

as i said earlier i used usb drive (much easier to use as you can edit it freely) as installation not boot cd so i am not sure how would it work in your case.

mach_kernel.zip

Hi all!

regarding gray screen/spinning beach ball at installation startup issue it's a kernel problem (the one included in this guide),

i managed to fix it by installing legacy_kernel-10.3.0.pkg on installation drive (i'm using second method),

after installing it i renamed legacy_kernel to mach_kernel (i leaved both of them but i don't know is it necessary) and FINALY was able to see choose language window and proceed with installation :D:D:D ,

i've spend 3 days/nights before i got past it :) ,

hope this helps you all having similar issue ;) ,

Cheers!

I just tried installing the 10.3.0 Kernel and renamed it mach_kernel but unfortunately still the same problem exactly. I even tried redoing everything from dead scratch again - still same thing. I also tried a couple of other kernel build and no change.

actually you can place mach_kernel on a usb drive or any of your hdd (except the drive where you gonna instal osx),

after you boot from cd insert your retail dvd and press f5 (i think) to refresh screen then go to it but don't hit enter jet,

find the drive name when you placed mach_kernel in my case it was hd(0,1) usb drive but the (x,y) my be different depend when you placed it,

then go to mac instal dvd on chameleon and type hd(x,y)mach_kernel and hit enter (it will boot from this kernel not the cd one),

i dont know if it's work on boot cd but i used this method on snow leopard when had problem booting kernel on os drive,

hope this helps.

I just tried installing the 10.3.0 Kernel and renamed it mach_kernel but unfortunately still the same problem exactly. I even tried redoing everything from dead scratch again - still same thing. I also tried a couple of other kernel build and no change.

this is what i did:

-formated usb drive to guid/htfs+,

-created instal dvd image (used compress option),

-restored instal dvd 10.6.3 on usb,

-installed chameleon,

-deleted mach_kernel form it (i used show hidden files script to find it),

-installed 10.3.0 kernel pkg,

-renamed legacy_kernel to mach_kernel but i leaved legacy just in case,

-copied extensions and com.apple.boot.plst (remember to change busratio= to your current cpu multiplier number) included in this guide to it,

and thats all it worked for me but maybe i was just lucky ;) .

edit:

i tried different kernels that messed up my instal so do everything from the start just like i wrote above,

to everyone i wish you a LOT of patience as the hell you experience now probably not gonna end after getting past the installation so be warned :) ,

actually you can place mach_kernel on a usb drive or any of your hdd (except the drive where you gonna instal osx),

after you boot from cd insert your retail dvd and press f5 (i think) to refresh screen then go to it but don't hit enter jet,

find the drive name when you placed mach_kernel in my case it was hd(0,1) usb drive but the (x,y) my be different depend when you placed it,

then go to mac instal dvd on chameleon and type hd(x,y)mach_kernel and hit enter (it will boot from this kernel not the cd one),

i dont know if it's work on boot cd but i used this method on snow leopard when had problem booting kernel on os drive,

hope this helps.

ok i will try that when i get home, do i need just the kernel or the entire package that it downloaded in?

ok i will try that when i get home, do i need just the kernel or the entire package that it downloaded in?

if you have usb flash then i recommend you ditch boot cd and instal everything there (bootloader/kernel/extensions/plst),

then do restore dvd to a hard drive/partition on your pc (different than where you gonna instal osx) boot from usb and choose installation from there (but i don't know if you need to format it and usb to htfs+),

i'm including chameleon 2 rc5 without gui so it's easier to find what number each drive have,

i think that kernel alone is ok on hard drive but if you doing it from usb/empty drive then i recommend instal.pkg (because i don't know what else this package do beside installing kernel).

Chameleon_2_RC5_pre8.pkg.zip