AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

if you have usb flash then i recommend you ditch boot cd and instal everything there (bootloader/kernel/extensions/plst),

then do restore dvd to a hard drive/partition on your pc (different than where you gonna instal osx) boot from usb and choose installation from there (but i don't know if you need to format it and usb to htfs+),

i'm including chameleon 2 rc5 without gui so it's easier to find what number each drive have,

i think that kernel alone is ok on hard drive but if you doing it from usb/empty drive then i recommend instal.pkg (because i don't know what else this package do beside installing kernel).

I tried it your way several times from scratch with no change. I then tried 3 versions of Fakesmc and still no change. I then tried different kernels and no change. It seems there are a lot of reasons the install can choose to hang at that gray screen and in my instance it must be for a different reason than was for yours. I am still stumped and have 3 days into trying things and have run out of ideas. Guess I will put it aside until someone comes up with something else to try out. Congrats on getting yours installed.

I tried it your way several times from scratch with no change. I then tried 3 versions of Fakesmc and still no change. I then tried different kernels and no change. It seems there are a lot of reasons the install can choose to hang at that gray screen and in my instance it must be for a different reason than was for yours. I am still stumped and have 3 days into trying things and have run out of ideas. Guess I will put it aside until someone comes up with something else to try out. Congrats on getting yours installed.

can you use bootcd to boot usb HDD INSTALLER MAC

can you use bootcd to boot usb HDD INSTALLER MAC

I made a new boot cd of your latest iso

I erased the usb drive and restored generic retail SL 10.6.3 to it

Booted bootcd

selected usb hd

Got only as far as Apple logo, no spinning wheel, hung.

So it doesn't even get as far as the all usb method 2.

can you move cursor after gray screen?,

do you have intel pc/lap or another pc to check if installer works there (in my case i got stuck grey screen/mouse pointer/beach ball even on my dell 1545 with intel cpu)

the ketx i'm using in extra/extensions:

-fakesmc (try to delete plugins inside if it had any)

-aplleatiata

-aplleatipata

-nullcpupowermenagment

-openhaltrestart

maybe try instal kernel.pkg at the end and rename/swap it,

try to boot with -v cpus=1 arch=i386 maxmem=4096 or try different boot arguments,

what's your specs,

i'm gonna make another usb installer to make sure i didn't forgot anything.

edit:

this file is for enabling hidden files witch will make things easier...

Archive.zip

I made a new boot cd of your latest iso

I erased the usb drive and restored generic retail SL 10.6.3 to it

Booted bootcd

selected usb hd

Got only as far as Apple logo, no spinning wheel, hung.

So it doesn't even get as far as the all usb method 2.

use -v and take picture when it stop

i am at gray screen too i will try some of these but i want to post my hardware so maybe i can get this right...

having trouble...

i have the most recent boot cd

AMD Phenom II x4 955 3200mhz

Asus Crossfire 3 formula Motherboard (no onboard video)

(1) pnyNvidea 9800GT

(1) BFG Nvidea 295 gtx

in addition to the onboard sata i have a PCI sata card with a Sil 3114 chipset (vantec 6 port)

(5) 300gb WD raptor hard drives, 3 of which are raid for windows (i would love to raid the other 2 for osx)

8gb ram

Sata dvd burner

i took out my 295gtx and swiched over to AHCI but now i get the wheel spinning on a gray screen (assuming that is a driver thing for the video but i dont know)

Is there any way to run Raid? i will buy a new card if i need too.

this is my hardware.

i have both methods, i guess usb is easier to edit though :(

try this bootcd0.5

hope it works now

for raid when you reach installer screen go to system profiler and see on sata and raid if card is readed or not !!

that got me to the install screen.

i went to system profiler and it wasnt in raid or pci hardware, only my 9800

it is using a sil 3114 chip.

3114 viaata.kext ?

will i be able to use that card after i install it? that was where i was going to put my "storage hard drives"

that got me to the install screen.

i went to system profiler and it wasnt in raid or pci hardware, only my 9800

it is using a sil 3114 chip.

will i be able to use that card after i install it? that was where i was going to put my "storage hard drives"

ok good

setup it

then we will see raid card

use -v and take picture when it stop

Same problem as before - it scrolls off and gets blanked by logo screen way to fast to read or take a pic

can you move cursor after gray screen?,

do you have intel pc/lap or another pc to check if installer works there (in my case i got stuck grey screen/mouse pointer/beach ball even on my dell 1545 with intel cpu)

the ketx i'm using in extra/extensions:

-fakesmc (try to delete plugins inside if it had any)

-aplleatiata

-aplleatipata

-nullcpupowermenagment

-openhaltrestart

maybe try instal kernel.pkg at the end and rename/swap it,

try to boot with -v cpus=1 arch=i386 maxmem=4096 or try different boot arguments,

what's your specs,

i'm gonna make another usb installer to make sure i didn't forgot anything.

edit:

this file is for enabling hidden files witch will make things easier...

My specs again:

ASUS M2R32-MVP

AMD 5600+

4 gb ram

SB600 Chipset

Yes I get to the gray screen and I can move the cursor. After a couple of minutes you get the spinning wheel but you can still move it around the screen. I tried every thing you have and then some.

excuse my ignorance but would i install that kext via the console on the install screen?

dont understand what do you want

Same problem as before - it scrolls off and gets blanked by logo screen way to fast to read or take a pic

My specs again:

ASUS M2R32-MVP

AMD 5600+

4 gb ram

SB600 Chipset

Yes I get to the gray screen and I can move the cursor. After a couple of minutes you get the spinning wheel but you can still move it around the screen. I tried every thing you have and then some.

did you test last bootcd 0.5 ?

i mean what is the easiest way to edit your boot cd you gave me? i need to add the SB750 kext (i could only find the sb700 so i will use that) for my south bridge.

i also might need to add viaata.kext

i formated a usb drive and dragged all the files onto it but it will not boot it ;)

i mean what is the easiest way to edit your boot cd you gave me? i need to add the SB750 kext (i could only find the sb700 so i will use that) for my south bridge.

i also might need to add viaata.kext

i formated a usb drive and dragged all the files onto it but it will not boot it ;)

why

all of that

just use boot cd to setup mac on HDD connected to SB sata

ok, i am having trouble with the kernal package. i read on the 3rd page or so but cant seem to get by it..

the legacy kernal 10.4 pkg fails install with about the wide of the mouse pointer remaining... is this accurate?

i cant get it to boot without the bootdisk though. i just get a blank screen like it doesnt know what to do...

it boots up fine with the boot disk though. it is seeing the raid installs just fine... i did have to use -x on the 1st boot up though, but not anymore :)

also i get alot of programs like itunes, and utilitys i tried download and then open don't work, it says "program name here" quit unexpectedly... then doesn't do anything... even does that on kext utilities

also what do i need to do now to get this other raid card installed? its this one 1095;Silicon Image, Inc.;3114;SiI 3114 [sATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller;Mass storage controller;RAID bus controller

here is my hardware and kexts. i also have a Nvidea 295gtx but i have it out of the machine right now, till i get her going.

1022;Advanced Micro Devices [AMD];1200;K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration;Bridge;Host bridge

1022;Advanced Micro Devices [AMD];1201;K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Address Map;Bridge;Host bridge

1022;Advanced Micro Devices [AMD];1202;K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] DRAM Controller;Bridge;Host bridge

1022;Advanced Micro Devices [AMD];1203;K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control;Bridge;Host bridge

1022;Advanced Micro Devices [AMD];1204;K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Link Control;Bridge;Host bridge

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4397;SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4397;SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4391;SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode];Mass storage controller;SATA controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4399;SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4396;SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4398;SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4396;SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4398;SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller;Serial bus controller;USB Controller

1095;Silicon Image, Inc.;3114;SiI 3114 [sATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller;Mass storage controller;RAID bus controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4384;SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge;Bridge;PCI bridge

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;439d;SB700/SB800 LPC host controller;Bridge;ISA bridge

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;439c;SB700/SB800 IDE Controller;Mass storage controller;IDE interface

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;4385;SBx00 SMBus Controller;Serial bus controller;SMBus

10de;nVidia Corporation;0614;G92 [GeForce 9800 GT];Display controller;VGA compatible controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;5980;RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx1 port A);Bridge;PCI bridge

1106;VIA Technologies, Inc.;3403;VT6315 Series Firewire Controller;Serial bus controller;FireWire (IEEE 1394)

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;597e;RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port E);Bridge;PCI bridge

13f6;C-Media Electronics Inc;8788;CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio];Multimedia controller;Multimedia audio controller

10b5;PLX Technology, Inc.;8112;PEX8112 x1 Lane PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge;Bridge;PCI bridge

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;597d;RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port D);Bridge;PCI bridge

10ec;Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.;8168;RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller;Network controller;Ethernet controller

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;597a;RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port A);Bridge;PCI bridge

1002;ATI Technologies Inc;5956;RD790 Northbridge only dual slot PCI-e_GFX and HT3 K8 part;Bridge;Host bridge

true AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext 2.3.3f8 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true IOUSBHIDDriver.kext 4.0.2 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBAudio.kext 2.7.3f1 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBComposite.kext 3.9.0 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBHub.kext 4.0.0 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBOHCI.kext 3.9.6 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller 0c03

true AppleRAID.kext 4.0.6 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true SCSITaskUserClient.kext 2.6.5 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice.kext 2.6.5 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true IOAHCISerialATAPI.kext 1.2.4 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext 1.6.2 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true AppleAHCIPort.kext 2.1.2 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] 0106

true AppleUSBHub.kext 4.0.0 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBOHCI.kext 3.9.6 SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller 0c03

true IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice.kext 2.6.5 SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller 0c03

true IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext 2.6.1 SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBComposite.kext 3.9.0 SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBHub.kext 4.0.0 SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBEHCI.kext 4.0.2 SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller 0c03

true IOUSBHIDDriver.kext 4.0.2 SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBComposite.kext 3.9.0 SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBHub.kext 4.0.0 SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller 0c03

true AppleUSBOHCI.kext 3.9.6 SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller 0c03

true AppleATIATA.kext 1.0.3 SB700/SB800 IDE Controller 0101

true GeForce.kext 6.1.6 G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] 0300

true AppleHWSensor.kext 1.9.3d0 G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] 0300

true AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext 3.3.2 G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] 0300

true NVDAResman.kext 6.1.6 G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] 0300

true IOFireWireIP.kext 2.0.3 VT6315 Series Firewire Controller 0c00

true AppleFWOHCI.kext 4.7.1 VT6315 Series Firewire Controller 0c00

true AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext 1.1 RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 0200

ok, i am having trouble with the kernal package. i read on the 3rd page or so but cant seem to get by it..

the legacy kernal 10.4 pkg fails install with about the wide of the mouse pointer remaining... is this accurate?

i cant get it to boot without the bootdisk though. i just get a blank screen like it doesnt know what to do...

it boots up fine with the boot disk though. it is seeing the raid installs just fine... i did have to use -x on the 1st boot up though, but not anymore :D

also i get alot of programs like itunes, and utilitys i tried download and then open don't work, it says "program name here" quit unexpectedly... then doesn't do anything... even does that on kext utilities

also what do i need to do now to get this other raid card installed? its this one 1095;Silicon Image, Inc.;3114;SiI 3114 [sATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller;Mass storage controller;RAID bus controller

here is my hardware and kexts. i also have a Nvidea 295gtx but i have it out of the machine right now, till i get her going.

updated

see on topic if you see solution for you

i tired doing it. here is a pic.

at first i had the file on a jump drive, didnt work so i put it on the desktop and the same thing happend. you can see it all in the pic.

as you can see on the device list i have 3 hard drives

of which 1 of them is a single disk install (the 1TB)

and i have 2 300gb drives

i am trying to install everything onto the 1tb card (disk0s2)

after i get it all working i will install it on the raid set

Picture

can i run the sudo -s command, enter the password then open my hard drive in finder and drop the i386 folder into like that? or is there more that the console does at that stage?

---Update---

i typed a few things in and this is as far as i got with it

**note**dont mind the $ in this its a cut and copy issue

(1)

Lee-xxxxxxx-Mac-mini:~ Lee$ sudo -s /Users/Lee/Desktop/i386

Password:

/bin/bash: /Users/Lee/Desktop/i386: is a directory

(2)

Lee-xxxxxx-Mac-mini:~ Lee$ sudo -s cd/Users/Lee/Desktop/i386

/bin/bash: cd/Users/Lee/Desktop/i386: No such file or directory

(3)

Lee-xxxxxx-Mac-mini:~ Lee$ sudo -s /Users/Lee/Desktop/i386 fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0s2

Password:

/bin/bash: /Users/Lee/Desktop/i386: is a directory

(4)

Lee-xxxxx-Mac-mini:~ Lee$ sudo -s cd /Users/Lee/Desktop/i386

Password:

Lee-xxxxx-Mac-mini:~ Lee$ disk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

-bash: disk: command not found