[Tutorial] AMD 10.6.8 Retail Snow Leopard Guide!

sirbow2

298 posts in this topic

one of the problems I had when installing 10.5.7 was 'waiting for root device'. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would not. It took over 40 installs to get it to always boot smoothly. As I do not have an installer that would allow me to make one install every 5 minutes I am not keen to try this method with snow leopard (I was booting from one of my internal hard drives, installer would literally take 2 secs to load everything! or it would come up with waiting for root device). In the end I was not sure what solved it (except maybe installing my sata/ide drivers in diffrent orders and testing random drivers). I also found that my pc only would run leopard from char 1 (not 2 or any other bootloader). To get my iaktos install hard dirve to be bootable I had to manualy install char 2 rc5 on the hard disk. Otherwies it would simply hang at the 'starting up operating system' screen.

Would you recomend trying a fresh snow leopard install just as you originally did? I have not managed to get my hackintosh to boot directly from a mac os install disk (even when it had been modfyed and the bootloader, put on) and so never tried your method (as it is easier for me to just copy one full mac os to another). One issue with a genuine fresh install is that it would only be 10.6.0 (and I have no idea if it would work with my machine... let alone update.)

What are your thoughts on this? (as I think I am simply at a mickey mouse stage where I need to try random stuff over and over again till something works) its just a pain that mine does not work as well as yours (our hardware is almost exactly the same!) grr...

one of the problems I had when installing 10.5.7 was 'waiting for root device'. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would not. It took over 40 installs to get it to always boot smoothly. As I do not have an installer that would allow me to make one install every 5 minutes I am not keen to try this method with snow leopard (I was booting from one of my internal hard drives, installer would literally take 2 secs to load everything! or it would come up with waiting for root device). In the end I was not sure what solved it (except maybe installing my sata/ide drivers in diffrent orders and testing random drivers). I also found that my pc only would run leopard from char 1 (not 2 or any other bootloader). To get my iaktos install hard dirve to be bootable I had to manualy install char 2 rc5 on the hard disk. Otherwies it would simply hang at the 'starting up operating system' screen.

Would you recomend trying a fresh snow leopard install just as you originally did? I have not managed to get my hackintosh to boot directly from a mac os install disk (even when it had been modfyed and the bootloader, put on) and so never tried your method (as it is easier for me to just copy one full mac os to another). One issue with a genuine fresh install is that it would only be 10.6.0 (and I have no idea if it would work with my machine... let alone update.)

What are your thoughts on this? (as I think I am simply at a mickey mouse stage where I need to try random stuff over and over again till something works) its just a pain that mine does not work as well as yours (our hardware is almost exactly the same!) grr...

if any version of 10.6 works on your pc then any other version will work. you can use a 10.6.4 kernel on 10.6. just not a 10.6 kernel on a 10.6.4 or 10.5

EDIT\\ if i was having this many issues with an install i would do a wipe of the HD i was gonna install on then, install snow leo with the "open osinstall.mpkg" method from another non retail install(with only a OS partition no other DATA partitions on the Snow leo HD), then install chameleon to the EFI partition of the Snow leo HD, then add all the kexts from my EFI zip(still w/o restart).

So pretty much just re-do what my guide says on the first page then restart your computer with ONLY the freshly installed snow leo HD plugged into the MOBO and see if it works

Hi!

Thank you for this great AMD guide!

I have Asrock Extreme3 Mobo with 890GX chipset, Phenom 955 BE, Sapphire 5850. Following your and Mohamed's tutorials i managed to make almost fully-working hackintosh.

- Radeon 5850 working with netkas' kexts

- 10.4 legacy kernel

- Via vt2020s 90% working with VoodooHDA 2.6.2 (Front mic, rear out)

I use only FakeSMC rev 391,VoodooHDA in S/L/E. Sleep is not working, everything else works smoothly, however i get KPs during boot from time to time (2/10 boots), after reboot everything is OK. It's connected with CPU. I will try to attach a photo later. I am not sure whether it is because of imperfect kernel, or lack of some kexts, should i worry about this?

It is not much annoying because a next reboot usually do and everything works for hours later. But I feel embarrassed when I want to show my friends my new ApplePC, and there is KP on boot.

Do you also experience KPs sometimes on your AMd? Is it possible to make 100% working AMD hackintosh?

I have also a question about DSDT patching? Is it essential? Where can I find some guide to do this?

I have also a question about DSDT patching? Is it essential? Where can I find some guide to do this?

no its not essential and id recommend reading teh speed step and p5k pro threads for info on DSDT stuff. its alot (alot alot) of reading and experimentation.

Do you also experience KPs sometimes on your AMd? Is it possible to make 100% working AMD hackintosh?

i never get KP's at boot, post a pic and ill see what i can do. also ive been working on trying to get sleep to work also, it would help if you could post a pic of the USB section of hardware profile thing on OSX. sleep issues may be related to the USB ports not being recognized as builtin

But I feel embarrassed when I want to show my friends my new ApplePC, and there is KP on boot.

lol

A few questions from me attempting the process.

"

Install boot0 to the MBR:

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

"

those I don't get. (I type it in and nothing seems to happen)

and this

"

6. mount the EFI partion

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
if you get a invalid argument error use this command:
fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

"

It told me acess denied, I don't have the required permission or what ever to do it. (But its an admin account) ???

I tried fsck and it told me the exact same thing. Apparently I am lacking the correct privileges...???

Third:

smbios.plst what is it and where is it??

However Snow leopard installed fine.

Install boot0 to the MBR:

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition:

"

those I don't get. (I type it in and nothing seems to happen)

yes, correct, there is no output, terminal runs the command and then goes to the next line

It told me acess denied, I don't have the required permission or what ever to do it. (But its an admin account) ???

I tried fsck and it told me the exact same thing. Apparently I am lacking the correct privileges...???

even if it is a admin account you still need to type sudo before the command like this: sudo fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

Third:

smbios.plst what is it and where is it??

this is used if "about this mac" doesnt show the correct RAM, CPU etc info. it is a simple .plist whit a little bit of data about your ram and CPU so that it show up correctly in "about this mac". just search the fourm you'll find one then you can edit it to your computer specs if you need one

Hm,

I also tryed to get Mac OS on the Mainboard running but I didn`t work.

My Config

gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

AMD X6 1055

Gigabyte 460 Gtx

2* Hdd Drives from Samsung (1*500Gb F3 and 1* 1000Gb F3)

I loaded the Ideneb 10.5.8 Version and tryed to boot it. The Apple comes and Many Errors ?

I changed the Settings to AHCI in the Bios. When I changed it, my Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Version doesn`t Boot anymore ?

What is my Mistake ? Do I need a Different Version of Mac Os X ? And can you Maybe post your Bios settings ?

i believe the issue with windows 7 not working after switching AHCI can be resolved by a complete reinstall for sure but thier may be another way to fix it without installing again. id search the fourm for this i believe there are severak topics about the WIndows and AHCI issue

i have win7 working on AHCI flawlessly, prob because i had AHCI on when i installed it.

i didnt use any boot commands when booting the 10.5.8 DVD so try with AHCI in bios and -x at boot.

the only thing i changed in my bios was the AHCI, also a note: you cant use the latest F7 bios version with OSX it will give a root device error. i know version F5 works, F6 may work i haven't tested it yet

guess what???

It didn't work.sad.gif

I tried those two commands

by typing that in it only gives me errors. (something along the lines of command not found or that it does not apply.)

I tried the rdsik with different number after some head scratching I put everything else on the efi partition and it did not boot

to use the "./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0" you have to cd to the folder that contains fdisk440(Or maybe just fdisk) and boot0. also make sure you have the right disk?x?

the same with DD command you have to cd to location of boot1h and make sure you have the right disk?x?

boot0, boot1h and fdisk will normally be in the I386 folder of chameleon package.

i never get KP's at boot, post a pic and ill see what i can do. also ive been working on trying to get sleep to work also, it would help if you could post a pic of the USB section of hardware profile thing on OSX. sleep issues may be related to the USB ports not being recognized as builtin

lol

This is it. It happens from time to time during boot, or even during logging screen. Sorry for bad quality.

14cgqqp.jpg

This is it. It happens from time to time during boot, or even during logging screen. Sorry for bad quality.

Don't care about this anymore! Today I used kabyl's boot file for my 5850 and now all my problems are far away, no KP at all!

It was a graphic problem and now my hackintosh is becoming perfect! Thanks to all of you!

However, I have some new questions. Is it posiible to make AMD CPU throtling (SpeedStep) work? Is it possible to monitor CPU temp using fakeSMC or is it only for intel's cpus?

for speed stepping youll have to wait for voodoopower for 10.6

i have attached the latest FakeSMC, it works fine and it gives me temps for NB, CPU, and CPU heatsink. make sure you repair permissions on FakeSMC as if you dont it will never boot, happened to me

Strange. I've installed your FakeSMC, and in iStat I only have disk temperature and GPU. Permissions are OK, it's booting. Maybe my Mobo has kind of other sensors... Don't know.

Some other program to test it?

Phen123:

go to bios and set to optimized defaults, set ALL satas to AHCI and i put HD on the Sata port lowest on the board, first layer of ports closest(touching) the board. and my bluray sata port is right above HD sata connector on the mobo and my DVD-RW sata port is right above the Bluray drive sata port.

then i just popped in the dvd to my Bluray or DVD drive and away i went to the install i didnt have any issues, just make sure your booting form the ideneb DVD and for good measure type -f -v -x at boot

on the 4th pic down(the sata screenie) you dont have everything as sata, the IDE port needs to be as Sata so then snow will see any IDE drives as sata's. doubt this matters but it wont hurt

i need to update my bios i see some new things to play whit :)

Hej

Bad news I still can install ideneb 10.5.8

but the good news is that I found the problem to my random kernel panics in my 10.5.4 lawlessppc installation. I had kernel panics when trying to install, when importing pictures in iphoto etc... It was a nightmare. But I found this forum http://osx86.net/f36/kernel-panics-lawlessppc-t2375/. If I had all these kp it's because I have 4 gb of ram. The maximum amount leopard can have is 3.5 gb. 

"LawlessPPC: ive just realised you have 4gb of memory that will be your problem. With over 3.5gb of memory osx will panic randomly unless you have a 64bit chipset driver. Take a gig or 2 out and see how it goes!!!"

"antwan911: add maxmem=3072 to your boot plist, saves you removing the ram."

So for the time being I type maxmem=3072 at boot. With leopard can I create a apple.com.boot.plist file?

For ideneb 10.5.8: to get inside the installer of the dvd I must type -v and busratio=9 or busratio=17 or busratio=24 weird. And then the installation crashes at 4 min before the end.

Since my 10.5.4 works, I have installed ideneb 10.5.8 with the options you gave me from the 10.5.4. But to launch mac os I must type at boot -v busratio=9 or busratio=17 or busratio=24 weird again. And it reboots just when the blue screens appears after having written plenty of lines.

I tried ahci, ide, putting in sata 2 or 3 ports but nothing changes.

Do you have any idea why I can get the ideneb to work?

So for the time being I type maxmem=3072 at boot. With leopard can I create a apple.com.boot.plist file?

go to /library/preferences/systemconfiguration and c.a.b.p is in there add maxmem=3072 under kernel flags

For ideneb 10.5.8: to get inside the installer of the dvd I must type -v and busratio=9 or busratio=17 or busratio=24 weird. And then the installation crashes at 4 min before the end......... Since my 10.5.4 works, I have installed ideneb 10.5.8 with the options you gave me from the 10.5.4. But to launch mac os I must type at boot -v busratio=9 or busratio=17 or busratio=24 weird again. And it reboots just when the blue screens appears after having written plenty of lines.

you have board like mine right? go to bios and select MIT tweaker. towards the top of the screen now should be something like multiplier, to the right of it should be a number like x14 or 14 or x15 etc etc. remember that number and type busratio=(that number you just got)

it may work, if not boot with -v and busratio=(num you got) and post a pic of where it gets stuck. if that doesnt work boot with -v and busratio=(num you got) -x and see what happens

good luck

I'm sorry, (I might be stupid cause I still don't understand something here)

"cd to the folder that contains fdisk440(Or maybe just fdisk) and boot0" What folder are we talking about here?

By my understanding cd is short for command directory. But what folder contains fdisk and boot0? That part I don't get and I feel that it is the one thing preventing my from a working Snow Leopard...

alright ill do the baby steps for you :)

i attached a zip with all the boot0 etc files of latest cham RC5 prerelease, the zip will extract a folder named "cham"

then do these commands

sudo -s

Need to type password for this command. this commands givers root access to terminal so you dont have to type your password for the rest of these commands.

cd the/extracted/folder/from/zip/cham

./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk3

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3s2

cp boot /

(copying the boot file to root of snowleopard II)

if you follow these steps precisely :) it will work and install latest chameleon to the snowleopard II HD.

that is if all your HD'd are in the same place as in the pic you attached a few pages back(i attached it to my post), if you run

sudo diskutil list

and snowleopard II HD doesnt have the same diskX as it did before DO NOT run the commands i have provided as they will install to the wrong HD and cause big issues because i have based these commands off of the pic you posted. :)

cham.zip

post-440200-1285036163_thumb.png

Something is still wrong. can you see what it might be in the screenshot? or is it of no help?? Although not shown I had entered the sudo -s command earlier. This screen shot is my 5th attempt and each time the same thing has happened. I have included the disk list for your convenience. I did try different numbers after the fdisk but nothing seems to work.

Any idea why it might be doing this?

I am downloading idenb 1.6 (but can only find the lite version) so that I can get a mac os that works better than my current only just working 10.6.7 and a snow leopard that gives the same old error because... well all I can say it that it seems to be not letting me do the steps you told me to do. (yes that was helpful and I thank you for that but now my system is giving me another problem. :) I would like to get it working for this weekend as I have a lan and would like to be running a mac os)

post-653182-1285045945_thumb.png