Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Hey!

I hope you hopeful souls do notice the "Dell" part of on top of my post.

As we earlier discussed, the custom resolution is easier to obtain on these models and I guess others using the same chips.

If you really want me to write up a step-by-step I will, no prob. But I think I might just be wasting your time. I posted so that people with the same model would know that updating from the kexts that are posted in this thread to the ones that come with 10.6.8 makes the experience a little more endurable. I am currently using this as my work computer in a helpdesk job, some very few times i get distortions. But I can live with it as the alternative is windows, and I am so bored and frustrated with that.

Hello, I have a problem. I have been following this thread for some time. I Just cannot get this to work on my laptop. I have a Samsung NP-QX410-J01 laptop. It has an Intel Core i5-460M processor which so happens to have an Intel HD Graphics chip (5700 series I think) on it. The laptop also has an nVidia Geforce 310m GPU also. I tried the methods that are on this thread, but I cannot seem to get my system to load after I restart. It does not load in normal and safe boot.

Nothing works. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. I am using a vanilla install of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (installed using retail dvd 10.6.3 then ran combo update to 10.6.7) My device id's for the Intel HD GPU is 8086:0046 and the nVidia Geforce 310m GPU is 10de:0a70. If anyone can help me with step by step direction, I will love them forever. Thank you very much in advance.

@gotmilk70

You are posting a bit off-topic, but I will indulge you, sorry for my part in the derailing.

I can imagine your need to switch out your vanilla kernel with a modded legacy_kernel, search for nawcom or netkas and you should find all the advice you need on this topic. On my laptop I had to run legacy kernel until 10.6.8, then my computer magically accepted vanilla ;) So if you can, I would try to get 10.6.8 on it.

Also, some systems can never boot without a properly modded DSDT, there are tools you can use to autogenerate one, making it on your own is a bit technical, but not rocket science.

Link to 10.6.8 legacy kernel

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=791

You may have more luck using his usb boot procedure.

Now that we got that out of the way, keep things on topic :blink:

Guys it is possible that i can make a screeshot? i have tried with manor method

Link

I'm in Lion GM

Link

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1366x768x32</string>

Graphics type space Mode try this

Graphics Mode

1366x768x32

Graphics type space Mode try this

Yes man, i have this in my c.a.B.p

Another observation, I have screensavers running correctly

Guys it is possible that i can make a screeshot? i have tried with manor method

Link

I'm in Lion GM

Link

This isn't new. OS X Lion has Core Image (CI) integrated onto the operating system, meaning Intel HD Graphics runs Core Image (CI) without any kexts loaded. When the kexts are loaded Quartz Extreme (QE) makes distortions which makes it impossible to use.

I said this a while back.

Well, I have seem to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard to boot properly. Thank you sinzim for your advice. I am sorry for going off topic. I thought the problem I was having was related to the GPU. I have managed to get it to boot with an edited DSDT and the legacy 10.8.0 Kernel. I Inserted the device id's into the AppleIntelHDGrpahics series kexts. I also put in an EFI into the apple.com.boot.plist. I can now see that the IntelHDGraphics loads via EFI, but does not give me Custom Resolutions, nor QE/CI. It recognizes the IntelHDGraphics card but not the nVidia Geforce 310M card. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I cannot seem to get the custom resolution to work properly. I have included some screenshots. Any advice from anyone? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

post-172110-1310348132_thumb.jpg

post-172110-1310348143_thumb.jpg

post-172110-1310348152_thumb.jpg

Well, I have seem to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard to boot properly. Thank you sinzim for your advice. I am sorry for going off topic. I thought the problem I was having was related to the GPU. I have managed to get it to boot with an edited DSDT and the legacy 10.8.0 Kernel. I Inserted the device id's into the AppleIntelHDGrpahics series kexts. I also put in an EFI into the apple.com.boot.plist. I can now see that the IntelHDGraphics loads via EFI, but does not give me Custom Resolutions, nor QE/CI. It recognizes the IntelHDGraphics card but not the nVidia Geforce 310M card. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I cannot seem to get the custom resolution to work properly. I have included some screenshots. Any advice from anyone? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

you have to add efi string borth cards.

OSX 86 tools nor EFI Studio work for me. I think me and you have a similar setup. Can you show me how to put both cards in EFI? Using your boot.plist if you like. Do I have to put in the geforce id's into the geforce.kext and the nvdan50 or 100 kext?

I was reading through ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code, add 2 heads kext for test

Put it into /S/L/E/ and rebuild the cache to test. It will not affect vanilla driver.

Any injector will prevent this driver from loading since it works the same way as IONDRVSupport.

[FAQ:]

1. get a blank or dark screen after boot, or the screen keep flashing

In RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist, set "BackLightLevel" to 0 or "enableBacklight" to false. Rebuild the kernel cache and reboot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

could this possibly be the black screen that we are getting?? it looks like there are custom methods created that are added to this kext.

If you dl the actual radeon kext it is only one kext, meaning that the black issue may possibly be isolated to just one kext.

I have just (finally) got this to work, well transparent menu bar anyway.

The key seemed to be updating to 10.6.8

I have the Intel HD 1000 model (0046)

To get 10.6.8 to boot needed to boot -s and remove both appleintelHDGraphics.kext and appleintelhdgraphicsfb.kext

removed all other graphics kexts, graphicsenabler yes in com.apple.boot.plist and graphics mode 1366x768x32 (not sure if these are necessary)

installed the kexts from 5700

about 3 reboots, had given up but then noticed the transparent menu bar.

Like i said I've only just done this but had time to test front row, dvd, and time machine, ALL FAIL!

Wondered if its because graphics has only been given 64MB according to system profiler, where as it should be 256MB??

With some renewed enthusiasm for this I will bugger on!

I Can't seem to understand how to inject the EFI strings for both cards. I tried to use OSX86 tools, but it does not work in my OS. It crashes with an error, I also read that it is not compatible with Snow Leopard. Anyone or Manor, Can you assist me with adding them to my File(s)? I have included my DSDT, boot.plist and smbios.plist. The Id's for the nvidia Chip is 10de:0a70 and the intel one is 8086:0046. In case you need it, The nVidia GPU name is nVidia Geforce 310M 512MB. Thank you very much in advance for anyone's help!!

Archive.zip

I Can't seem to understand how to inject the EFI strings for both cards. I tried to use OSX86 tools, but it does not work in my OS. It crashes with an error, I also read that it is not compatible with Snow Leopard. Anyone or Manor, Can you assist me with adding them to my File(s)? I have included my DSDT, boot.plist and smbios.plist. The Id's for the nvidia Chip is 10de:0a70 and the intel one is 8086:0046. In case you need it, The nVidia GPU name is nVidia Geforce 310M 512MB. Thank you very much in advance for anyone's help!!

just look how to make dual cards

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569

This is for desktop pc not for notebook...is necessary to recognize a video card at a time for the system, removing the second video card, physically

I have the same computer than you is an Asus K52JC I think c is dead video card will not work if a person is able to make drivers for this model intelhd

Apple will move to sandybridge is no drivers for i3, i5, i7 first generation of notebook

This is for desktop pc not for notebook...is necessary to recognize a video card at a time for the system, removing the second video card, physically

This is not relevant...you can simply use textedit...

You have efi string for nvidia 310m?? how do you follow the guide without it?

Come on guys!!! this is offtopic, please keep the post clean, its about only intel HD Arrandale.

Dont wanna sound rude or something but this is not about nvdia cards... thnx for your comprehension...

@irako: My laptop HAS an Arrandale Intel HD Graphics GPU. It just happens to be paired with an nVidia GPU also I think it's not off topic. :D

@leitor: Yeah, I took that with my iPhone, Must of held it the wrong way. I'm sure whoever needs to look at it will be able to flip the image. I will know to hold it the other way next time I take a photo though. :)

Any insight on the problem? Thanks in advance!