boot for Radeon HD 4xxx DVI out only / only for 10.6.3

JaS

56 posts in this topic

This is something I am thinking about trying to take on. My goals are to have the proper name for Radeon HD 4xxx cards showing in system profiler and to get DVI working if I can from these cards as well. If I can't then at lease have proper naming and current info in system profiler along with vga out.

I am modifying Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-src_PCEFIV10.6-src from prasys' blog. It has reboot / shutdown / smbios injecting included and a lot of other nice fixes.

So far I have managed to get DVI output working without the need for a dongle on the vga port or without the need to have two connections to the display at the same time ... thank god for that.

I havent tested the hdmi port yet.

I'll attach the boot file for now.

Do not try this if you do not know how to recover from placing a boot file in the root of your os x partition that does not boot into the GUI, incase something goes wrong you need to know how to fix it.

P.S:Right now this is for dvi on the hd 4670 any other hd 4xxx will feel like they didn't update their boot , tho I would like other hd 4xxx users to post here and give me there dev ids. I will then make a boot for them to test.

Come to #RadeonHD or #MacOSx on irc.osx86.hu for help :)

boot.zip

Right now this is for dvi on the hd 4670 any other hd 4xxx will feel like they didn't update their boot , tho I would like other hd 4xxx users to post here and give me there dev ids. I will then make a boot for them to test.

Right now this is for dvi on the hd 4670 any other hd 4xxx will feel like they didn't update their boot , tho I would like other hd 4xxx users to post here and give me there dev ids. I will then make a boot for them to test.

Hi! its work with 4890 (94601002) with displayport ?

..gonna give this a try on my 4850 device id 0x94421002 // will post back with results

btw.. is this for stock 10.6.3 kexts?

edit:

forget it I'm not gonna risk borking a fresh install (besides i use 2 screens so its not like i'd be gaining anything by using this)

if i have time and change my mind i'll try it. but not right now.

good job with all of your work you've contributed to the community

This is my Video Info,i have it connected Via HDMI but i wouldn mind trying to get DVI to work.

ATI Radeon 4670 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4670 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9490

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

ASUS VH232H:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

ATI Radeon 4670 Series:

Name: ATY,Peregrine

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-1

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x9490

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1787

Subsystem ID: 0x2009

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

come to #RadeonHD on chat.osx86.hu and I will try some boot files with you

JAS

man thanks for working on this --I have the 4890 sapphire card and I want to get it working but I DONT know how to place the boot file - Can you give me some pointers.

Plus -I am getting a -VRAM (negative) issue with this card--any thoughts?

Matt

Just a little note for 4870HD 512mb users (Vendor: ATI (0x1002), Device ID: 0x9440, Revision ID: 0x0000); 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 handles these cards natively. All that is needed to get full QE/CI (dual DVI without dongle) is the boot flag Graphicsenabler=y, assuming you are using a recent bootloader (PC_EFI 10.5+, Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.x, Chameleon etc). :)

Just a little note for 4870HD 512mb users (Vendor: ATI (0x1002), Device ID: 0x9440, Revision ID: 0x0000); 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 handles these cards natively. All that is needed to get full QE/CI (dual DVI without dongle) is the boot flag Graphicsenabler=y, assuming you are using a recent bootloader (PC_EFI 10.5+, Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.x, Chameleon etc). :)

I wish it worked for everyone like this :) it would make my life easy lol

I used the 10.6.2 kexts from irc.osx86.hu #RadeonHD and the test boot 5 from JaS, for my ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 Gb PCIe (RV730) an it's working on DVI2VGA, also I have QE/CI. thanks to JaS for the help.

i got same id device but mine it doesnt work.. followed abv instruction and it didnt work.. guide me how u did.. i got SL 10.6.3

I used the 10.6.2 kexts from irc.osx86.hu #RadeonHD and the test boot 5 from JaS, for my ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 Gb PCIe (RV730) an it's working on DVI2VGA, also I have QE/CI. thanks to JaS for the help.

This card seemed to only work with the Flicker frame buffer, and it may come down to resellers working with different fbs. So like a Diamond branded 4650 card a 3D 4650 branded card will not work with the same one. Annoying

can u help me i got ATI radeon HD 4650 .. how did you try it....i tried all ways it didnt work for me...

@Jas

Can you help me out with a boot to test my card.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 1GB and I've only been able to get it to work with a DVI2VGA adapter.

(Vendor: ATI (0x1002), Device ID: 0x9498, Revision ID: 0x0000)

My card has 1x DVI (came with DVI to HDMI adapter), 1x S-Video out, and 1x VGA

Link to my video card

@JaS

Hey, was wondering if the supported HD4670 in the iMac is the mobile version? Curious because I got the Diamond HD4670 to work only with the dongle to vga but nothing els and its clearly not picking up all the bells and whistles.

If this is the case then Im sticking to HD4850 or HD4870 HD4890 that work without any glitches when building Hackintosh for a buddie. And yeah I'm aware there are versions of those that do not fully work.

*fullyworking: DVI & DVI dual monitor, or DVI to VGA dongle and DVI to VGA dongle dual monitor, HDMI via dongle to any DVI. All resolutions. Sleep wake, auto switching to correct useable settings as soon as you plug monitor in

The cards that seem to work as reading through the ATI HD48XX seem to always have dual DVI. SL 10.6.2 works the best for me because it doesn't delete my digital out for my 889 audio. SL 10.6.3 is slower on benches and really does nothing to improve my setup other than screw up my video. Have to always install 10.6.2 kext's to bring full usage. Odd this happens.

Anyways will play with your "boot" to see if i don't have to restore my 10.6.2 kext to 10.6.3 SL .

Thank you to! may work :D

sidenote: I will jump on Nvidia as soon as Fermi is supported

hey again JaS, just found this thread.

edit:

do you maybe know how i can get a log of everything that the graphics enabler has done at boot?

im trying to make an efistring for 4350, but i cant get anything other than graphicsenabler to work, it must be doing something secret i do not know about.

Hi there guys,

I have desperately been trying to find a solution for my Sapphire HD 4650 512MB for a while now; I need QE/CI enabled for a program that I want to install. At the moment I'm using netkas' EFI 10.6 boot and DVI out but still only have minimum resolution and OSX doesn't recognise my card in system profiler. Any progress on this is eagerly awaited! If anyone feels like offering a solution, please do :D (Also, if you'd like to offer any advice on how I might get this working, I'll try it out :wacko: )

Good luck with this ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway to add the 4850 to this? Currently on 10.6.3 I have to use a DVI-to-VGA in the second DVI port or its just a black screen when the video loads. Device IDs below, thanks!

Device ID: 0x9442

Is there anyway to add the 4850 to this? Currently on 10.6.3 I have to use a DVI-to-VGA in the second DVI port or its just a black screen when the video loads. Device IDs below, thanks!

Device ID: 0x9442

getting a single 4850 work in 10.6.3 is easy, just use ati4800controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2. edit the info.plist in ati4800controller.kext, add your dev-id, save it then inject the 3 of them with kext helper and add graphicsenabler=yes in boot.plist, reboot and it should work without dvi2vga dongle.