fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Hey Gringo,

First big thanks for all your efforts in moderation! You make our life a lot easier.

So are you having KP's or freezes with the guide you just wrote?

Thanks!

an1r0n

The guide is outdated. If you mean the one in the first post.

Install the Quadro 4000 drivers for Snow Leopard from Nvidia. Make sure you are running at least 10.6.5 first.

Your model identifier must be MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1. If it isn't, drag the installer off of the disk image, right click, show contents, find distribution.dist inside, open it with textedit and change the model identifier requirement so that it matches yours (see System Profiler). It will be obvious what to do once you're looking at it.

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and set GraphicsEnabler=y in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Use the DVI output that's closest to the motherboard when looking straight at the back of your PC case.

Tried this but i've still pretty bad performance

So are you having KP's or freezes with the guide you just wrote?

Yes, same as everyone else. There is no cure for this. It even happens on real Macs with the Quadro 4000 card. Read the reviews.

Tried this but i've still pretty bad performance

If you want any help with that you need to be more specific and post more information about your hardware and installation.

Google/forum search "AppleGraphicsPowermangement.kext" for starters. If that kernel extension is loaded on your system at all (System Profiler -> Software -> Extensions).

Google/forum search "AppleGraphicsPowermangement.kext" for starters. If that kernel extension is loaded on your system at all (System Profiler -> Software -> Extensions).

Is that a good or bad thing if it's loaded?

Patrick

If you want any help with that you need to be more specific and post more information about your hardware and installation.

I have a 470 and have installed latest Quadro drivers from nvidia's website

I had some bugs with CUDA so I uninstalled it but i don't think any game uses CUDA anyway

about the AppleGraphicsPowermangement, seems like working:

Version:	100.12.19
 Last Modified:	26/2/10 9:05 PM
 Get Info String:	100.12.19, Copyright 2010 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
 Kind:	Intel
 Architectures:	i386, x86_64
 64-Bit (Intel):	Yes
 Location:	/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
 Kext Version:	100.12.19
 Load Address:	0xffffff7f8138c000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Satisfied

Even at 1366x768, portal is laggy

thanks btw

(AppleGraphicsPowerManagement)

Is that a good or bad thing if it's loaded?

That depends on how well it works with your combination of hardware and Mac model identifier.

You may find that it is working against you. This can cause bad performance in cases where it is throttling your video card clocks when it shouldn't be.

As with CPU power management, GPU power management is tied to the Mac model identifier and AGPM.kext will use different power profiles (and even not load at all) depending on which model identifier is used. Open its info.plist and take a look.

There are posts here and elsewhere describing how to edit AGPM.kext to work better with your hardware and model identifier. Sometimes it is easier to change the model identifier instead (via smbios.plist) but, depending on what CPU you have and especially if you have native CPU power management working, that might not be the best solution.

Anyway this is why I told you to google/forum search. I can't be more specific about this, I don't use AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext at all. It does not load when using the MacPro3,1 model identifier.

If you don't mod it and use 4,1 or 5,1 model identifiers, you will likely have a VERY SLOW Fermi card.

Run OpenGl Extensions Viewer benchmark. (any mode or setting) Note result.

Drag AGPM to desktop to make a copy.

Delete the one in Extensions folder.

restart and run same benchamrk over again. If there is a HUGE difference in speeds, you need to either leave AGPM out or mod it according to other posts. Mod the one on desktop and use kexthelper to reinstall.

Ok, finally got the quadro drivers installed. I have full resolution, and my card is properly identified in my system profilier. My only question is if my card is properly identified, does that prevent it from freezing? I guess I will find out in due time. I used the quadro drivers that were released on 2011/03/22... so I guess that is sunday.

hello to all, gtx 480 or 470 have problems of freeze? Thanks

My works like a charm: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 (GV-N470SO-13I)

And btw editing Info.plist of AGPM will never work as a fix for freeze of any GTX 460 :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a GA-EP45T-USB3P and a GTX 470 card. I've just installed Lion DP4 and right away my resolution was properly recognized. However, I'm noticing the same issues in L4D2 and other games that I was experiencing in Snow Leopard. jittering, laggy, etc. It seems that AGPM is not loading and the card is thusly not being run at full power. So I tried to change my model identifier to MacPro5,1 in smbios.plist. Unfortunately after doing so the boot hangs on [ PCI Configuration Begin ]. Changing back to MacPro3,1 fixes this issue but then AGPM doesn't load.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Llambda

To ANYONE reading this:

I wanted to find out which is the best card to use for rendering in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro 7 & Motion? This is to get the shortest times possible. I'm not a gamer, just a Mac app user.

I've just purchased a XFX 6870, but haven't received it yet (it's still shipping). After doing some searching I found out about the GTX 285, GTX 470 & 480 is basically faster for rendering times for PS, FCP 7 & Motion.

From the forums here though it also seems that the:

- GTX 285, works just fine.

- GTX 470, has "some" issues (but they look correctable so you can still use that card).

- GTX 480, seems to have the most issues, BUT it looks like CMF (forum memeber) got his working. I'm wondering how?

I use a 30" Dell monitor (2560 x 1600). If you think the 470 would be the better and more reliable (safer) choice then I will do that. My system is maxed out with everything, including a Silverstone Tek 1500W Power Supply. So it's maxed and ready for upgrades and water cooled. I thought I would mention this as others have said "...do I have enough power?..." and yes I do, (hope this info helps).

I appreciate anyones help very much !!! If you cannot help, can you point me in the right direction to find the best solution for the 480 to work before I buy this thing. If you think the 285 or 470 is a better choice, I am open to suggestions. Although I do want the best card, I don't want future problems that come with having the "best" card. I look forward to that solution as well? Again, thanks for whatever anyone can do to help... PNugg... :-)